Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
James Regan

Let’s take a Historical walk around the Rig

(edited)

Let’s have some more fun as the last post did so well trying to inject some history or experience into this forum. >sarc<

Question - What is a Kelly and why is it called a Kelly?

If you answer it would be nice to  continue ( im sure no one on this forum does not have a question to ask about rigs in general ) the thread by asking a similar question, attempting to make this forum a little more diverse and educational. 👍🏻

Edited by James Regan
  • Like 3

I'd like to know why the possum belly is named that way

• Like 1

1 hour ago, James Regan said:

Let’s have some more fun as the last post did so well trying to inject some history or experience into this forum. >sarc<

Question - What is a Kelly and why is it called a Kelly?

If you answer it would be nice to  continue ( im sure no one on this forum does not have a question to ask about rigs in general ) the thread by asking a similar question, attempting to make this forum a little more diverse and educational. 👍🏻

This is actually quite a hard one regarding the name but think of the era and baseball???

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, El Nikko said:

I'd like to know why the possum belly is named that way

The possum belly derives its name from the similarity of its appearance to the underbelly of the female possum. Each of the chambers of the possum belly resemble an elongated teat similar to the ones found on female possums as per wiki, I imagined it would have something to do with a possum.

If you take a trip around the rig it’s amazing how many animals are present, this derived from the early oilfield hands all came from a farming background.

Good question @El Nikko 👍🏻

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, James Regan said:

This is actually quite a hard one regarding the name but think of the era and baseball???

The Kelly was named after Mike “King” Kelly who played for the Boston Beaneaters and was famous for a type of Slide he would do will stealing’s base etc, as the Kelly on the rig was a sliding technology it was quickly nicknamed the Kelly by those who first used it.

A35E85F6-7079-4799-BD9D-A068E001537D.jpeg

• Great Response! 2

The "dog nut" on the wellhead? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ward Smith said:

The "dog nut" on the wellhead? 

Dog Clamp

Dog House

lots of animals on the rig floor Bird bath, donkey dick, nodding donkey, cows C$&7, crows foot.....etc etc

• Like 1

1 hour ago, James Regan said:

Dog Clamp

Dog House

lots of animals on the rig floor Bird bath, donkey dick, nodding donkey, cows C$&7, crows foot.....etc etc

I know it's the tubing hangar but I don't know why it's called a dog nut other than the usual animal husbandry going on around the well. ;)

5 hours ago, James Regan said:

cows C$&7

Politically correct there eh?? No wanna offend anybody hehe. My very first experience with this term was when the derrick hands locker in the dog house was spreading freakin' lice!! Filthy dude!! So he got let go and we were getting ready to trip pipe and I was motorman, and on a 4 man crew, short handed, I volunteered to go on up. Driller gives me quick run down but I already observed all this prior to committing myself to go on up. My very 1st throw going back in the hole with new bit driller was running the (fill in blank) fast and dummy forgot to let loose the pipe and got pinky smashed in the cows C$&7, but I did manage to slap the (fill in blank) together and yes I did finish the night as blood poured outta the gaping gash. The pipe won, the finger next day was sewn back together by my Mrs. So my first experience in derrick is memorable. On a Parker rig in 78? I believe. Memories ……..

• Great Response! 1

(edited)

6 hours ago, Old-Ruffneck said:

Politically correct there eh?? No wanna offend anybody hehe. My very first experience with this term was when the derrick hands locker in the dog house was spreading freakin' lice!! Filthy dude!! So he got let go and we were getting ready to trip pipe and I was motorman, and on a 4 man crew, short handed, I volunteered to go on up. Driller gives me quick run down but I already observed all this prior to committing myself to go on up. My very 1st throw going back in the hole with new bit driller was running the (fill in blank) fast and dummy forgot to let loose the pipe and got pinky smashed in the cows C$&7, but I did manage to slap the (fill in blank) together and yes I did finish the night as blood poured outta the gaping gash. The pipe won, the finger next day was sewn back together by my Mrs. So my first experience in derrick is memorable. On a Parker rig in 78? I believe. Memories ……..

Those”Elevators” can be your nemesis up there!!! Extra twist in the (fill the blank) and they close easier ...? Ironic actually as the (fill the blank) is also based on animals??? 👊🏻

Edited by James Regan

11 hours ago, Ward Smith said:

I know it's the tubing hangar but I don't know why it's called a dog nut other than the usual animal husbandry going on around the well. ;)

Lots of equipment with locking mechanisms are called dogs, we have many locking Dogs in a subsea BOP , but why dogs is a good question as they all do the same thing secure something in place. Dog = Guarded not sure 🤔 

2 minutes ago, James Regan said:

Lots of equipment with locking mechanisms are called dogs, we have many locking Dogs in a subsea BOP , but why dogs is a good question as they all do the same thing secure something in place. Dog = Guarded not sure 🤔 

Here we go - 

In engineering, a dog is a tool or part of a tool that prevents movement or imparts movement by offering physical obstruction or engagement of some kind. It may hold another object in place by blocking it, clamping it, or otherwise obstructing its movement. Or it may couple various parts together so that they move in unison – the primary example of this being a flexible drive to mate two shafts in order to transmit torque. Some devices use dog clutches to lock together two spinning components. In a manual transmission, the dog clutches, or "dogs" lock the selected gear to the shaft it rotates on. Unless the dog is engaged, the gear will simply freewheel on the shaft.

This word usage is a metaphor derived from the idea of a dog (animal) biting and holding on, the "dog" name derived from the basic idea of how a dog jaw locks on, by the movement of the jaw, or by the presence of many teeth. In engineering the "dog" device has some special engineering work when making it – it is not a simple part to make as it is not a simple bar or pipe, and the metal used in its construction is likely to be special rather than regular steel.

• Great Response! 1

OK I've got another one, but only old timers may have heard of it. 

The Hercules on a rig? 

On 1/27/2020 at 2:59 PM, Ward Smith said:

OK I've got another one, but only old timers may have heard of it. 

The Hercules on a rig? 

I would be guessing after some research it’s one of the drivers for the rig. Very old reliable engines??

https://youtu.be/vV3gUgsvlys

Catheads

Monkey board

Donkey dicks

Water table

V door

Catwalk

etc...

6 hours ago, James Regan said:

I would be guessing after some research it’s one of the drivers for the rig. Very old reliable engines??

https://youtu.be/vV3gUgsvlys

It's a capstan. I got yelled at for calling it that by the driller. The tool pusher took me aside and said, "College boy, you're not doing yourself any favors dropping 50 cent words around these good ole boys, go along to get along".

21 hours ago, Ward Smith said:

It's a capstan. I got yelled at for calling it that by the driller. The tool pusher took me aside and said, "College boy, you're not doing yourself any favors dropping 50 cent words around these good ole boys, go along to get along".

Cat 🐱 Head 

Hands up if you know what this part of the draw works is for trophy if you know what it’s called and kudos if you have ever used it. ?????

09779BF9-A363-411F-90EC-E90372A6CCFE.jpeg

Sand line / swab line

• Great Response! 1

2 hours ago, RDS said:

Sand line / swab line

Mainly used for retrieving Totco or single shot surveys amongst other things, an absolute nightmare for the guy working the line guide system ( not in photo) a finger breaker. Very rarely used since slick lines became readily available on rigs.