Tom Kirkman

Tehran Times Editor in Chief: The US thirst for oil

In my opinion, point #6 is valid.  The other points ... debatable   - and / or -   not so much, and also amusingly deceptive.

Point #6:

6. Trump has also repeatedly stressed that the US support for Arab countries is due to their oil resources.

I did get a chuckle at how the Iranian government is portrayed as "sincere behavior", although I was a bit disappointed that the U.S. was not labeled outright this time as "The Great Satan" and Trump was not called "Orange Hitler".  Apparently the diatribe level is being lowered.

tl;dr  Iran is truthful and trustworthy, U.S. is dishonest

On a totally unrelated note, I have a bridge in Brooklyn for sale, cheap.  Cash only.

The US thirst for oil

TEHRAN, Jan. 27 (MNA) – The Americans, including Trump, claim that they are standing next to the nations and defend human rights and the freedom of nations.

Their claims of human rights are hypocritically shown in their unprecedented sanctions in history on the Iranian people. 

A look at some Americans’ behavior reveals other facts.

1. US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo expressed hope that the Libyan oil facilities be reopened due to the Berlin conference held to examine Libya’s crisis.

2. The US Embassy in Libya also called for the resumption of oil exports from Libya.

3. After the meeting with Jens Stoltenberg in London, at the beginning of the NATO summit, Trump said, “We have total control of the oil.  And, frankly, we had a lot of support from a lot of different people.  But, right now, the only soldiers we have, essentially, in that area, are the soldiers keeping the oil.  So we have the oil, and we can do with the oil what we want”.

4. Russian Defense Ministry released satellite images of some areas in Syria on October 26, 2019, showing oil was actively extracted and massively exported for processing outside Syria, under the reliable protection of US troops. Despite US sanctions against Syria, Washington makes about $30 million a month through international banditry.

5. “Iraq has the second-largest oil fields in the world. $15 trillion dollar worth of oil second Saudi Arabia. I said very simply that if it is me, we take the oil,” Trump said in an interview with the American TV news channel Fox News.

6. Trump has also repeatedly stressed that the US support for Arab countries is due to their oil resources.

This kind of stance shows that what has been carried out by the US in Iraq, Libya and Syria was not for the sake of democracy and justice in these countries, but for their oil. Therefore, the US current concern over the situation of these countries is not about violence against people but about oil reserves.

Such a behavior can be regarded as Western democracy and human rights, which are based on oil interests. The behavior indicates that the only way of establishing peace and security in the world, especially in Africa and West Asia, is to end Western domination, which is pursuing its colonial interests.

The US behavior represents American economic terrorism that merely seeks to plunder the wealth of other states.

The difference between Iran’s view, which insists on the authority of nations over their countries’ fate and resources, with that of the US, which is seeking to plunder and colonize other countries, has led the nations in the world trust Iran and distrust the United States. 

[ my comment to this : AHHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ]

In fact, it is the result of the Iranian sincere behavior and American dishonesty that caused the regional states to hold great funeral ceremonies for Major General Qassem Soleimani, while asking for the US pullout from the region.

The behaviors by the US reveal the legitimacy of Iran’s stance on the need to expel aggressors from the region as the main solution for establishing peace and security that will be achieved by the nations’ vigilance.

Author: Mohammad Ghaderi, Tehran Times editor in chief 

Heartwarming.  Maybe the Minister's child wrote that for him.

(edited)

Everyone is in a state of sin.Sort of like describing the highest of the 'moral high ground' in Death Valley, where everything is below sea level.

Edited by Meredith Poor
Add explanation to end of sentence.
  • Like 1

Well, common sense dictates that if the Middle East did not have any oil, the US would not be so active in the region.

The same could be said of a variety of players in different regions of the globe. For example, if the US didn’t represent a large section of the global market, China would not really care about US policy. If the US was a crappy place to live, there would not be an illegal immigration issue.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

22 hours ago, Douglas Buckland said:

If the US was a crappy place to live, there would not be an illegal immigration issue.

Well less crappy than Mexico or Cuba.   Pretty hard to drive, walk, or use a homemade boat to get anywhere else. :)

Joking, I like much of the States.

5 minutes ago, Enthalpic said:

Well less crappy than Mexico or Cuba.   Pretty hard to drive, walk, or use a homemade boat to get anywhere else. :)

Joking, I like much of the States.

A very valid point!

(edited)

On 1/28/2020 at 9:53 PM, Douglas Buckland said:

Well, common sense dictates that if the Middle East did not have any oil, the US would not be so active in the region.

The same could be said of a variety of players in different regions of the globe. For example, if the US didn’t represent a large section of the global market, China would not really care about US policy. If the US was a crappy place to live, there would not be an illegal immigration issue.

Since the US does not need oil from the Middle East why does common sense dictate we spend 80 billion a year ensuring the flow to China? They are the largest Middle East importer. 
If the Middle East paid that 80 billion we could guarantee no jihadi would leave their front porch without being droned.

Edited by Boat

2 hours ago, Boat said:

Since the US does not need oil from the Middle East why does common sense dictate we spend 80 billion a year ensuring the flow to China? They are the largest Middle East importer. 
If the Middle East paid that 80 billion we could guarantee no jihadi would leave their front porch without being droned.

Okay, you seem to think that the US does not import any oil...better check that.

(edited)

Oh my. BP, Total, Saudi, Venezuela, Iraq, Nigeria and Canada all export oil to the US. However the US is a net exporter. So if the US shut down a few refineries that we don’t need, that are owned by foreigners who we don’t need anymore there would be no impact on the US consumer. 
There is some cross trade that makes sense since the infrastructure is in place but most of our imports is a trade of tax dollars vrs. Pollution. All these countries could refine that oil and sell it to Brazil and Latin American because that’s where most of it goes. 
This is the main reason we don’t need more pipelines from Canada. That oil mainly gets refined and shipped. 
I think you already know this and are just playing the uninformed Republican. One of their favorite tactics.

Edited by Boat
  • Like 1

What’s weird is I support US fracking that is not flared and it’s embarrassing to say we have Americans that don’t like Permian oil but welcome Canadian oil. Very unpatriotic. Some of these same people want to export American oil. I say drill what we need and that’s it. Save the rest for future generations. Same with nat gas. We got to get control of the “polluters for dollars” mentality.

We also need to think in terms of N America first when it comes to energy. Let’s supply our consumption but that’s it. A common sense National Security policy for the future commitment.

Success is not pollute as fast and as much as we can for a few dollars we blow in Middle East wars. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Boat said:

What’s weird is I support US fracking that is not flared and it’s embarrassing to say we have Americans that don’t like Permian oil but welcome Canadian oil. Very unpatriotic. Some of these same people want to export American oil. I say drill what we need and that’s it. Save the rest for future generations. Same with nat gas. We got to get control of the “polluters for dollars” mentality.

We also need to think in terms of N America first when it comes to energy. Let’s supply our consumption but that’s it. A common sense National Security policy for the future commitment.

Success is not pollute as fast and as much as we can for a few dollars we blow in Middle East wars.

But but but, all those pretentious power hungry assholes in the state department/cia/federal reserve with a healthy dose of assholes in Congress(Biden, Pelosi, Romney, will lose their power as the USD will not be the sole worlds currency.  Oh the poor USA will stop going into debt and medium income manufacturing jobs will return as the value of the USD tanks. 

Yes, sounds like a compete travesty

• Like 1

This will sound anti-American, but the US is at least as guilty of Iran's status in the Middle East as the Iranian authorities themselves. Personally, I would advise you to read the history of American-Iranian relations after WW2 in some scientific source.

Get to know about Operation Ajax, the rule of Shah and the methods of his special service SAVAK. Shooting down the Iranian plane at least a few thousand kilometers from the nearest US border and marking the high order of the ship's commander.

America is totally hated in Iran and this is not due to Iranian propaganda but real actions in last 70 years.

Unfortunately I have never been to Iran but I know some travelers who were there and it so happens that probably nearly all of them admire Iran and Iranians after trip .  I met with the thesis several times that despite all this is the most normal country in the region if we should choose e.g. from Iraq  Iran Saudi Arabia or even Israel and I was just in Israel and with all respect is a country living in the militaristic trend as evidenced by the number of troops on the streets.

If you really want to criticize Iran, Im sorry but I will find easily at least as many reasons to criticize Israel or Saudi Arabia or USA and you should really finally give up this mass anti-Iranian propaganda in western press because I believe more my polish friends who were really there than CNN Fox News or BBC. 

Anyway, this should be done by any reasonable person who remembers how the American media called for war with Iraq and now they pretend that they do not see that the theory of the chemical attack of the Assad troops in Syria has completely shattered, compromising at the same time the United Nations organization for chemical weapons.

And if you do not like the protests in Hong Kong, Russia or Iran, then I must remind you that French people protest against Macron  for over a year every weekend. The French police killed a dozen or so people at that time, probably hurt seriously a few hundred more, but I will not see it on the BBC or CNN, so give a fuck about any credibility of Western press

• Upvote 1

The American people do not have a problem with the people of any nation, only with their dictatorial governments. Americans are very sympathetic with the protesters in Russia, Hong Kong, Iran, Turkey and elsewhere. Your assumptions and information are mostly quite misguided. 

• Upvote 4

On 2/1/2020 at 12:31 PM, Tomasz said:

And if you do not like the protests in Hong Kong, Russia or Iran, then I must remind you that French people protest against Macron  for over a year every weekend. The French police killed a dozen or so people at that time, probably hurt seriously a few hundred more, but I will not see it on the BBC or CNN, so give a fuck about any credibility of Western press

Most western press is in some way a for profit institution, but I don't believe they are trying to hide anything in most cases. At work I sit very near a young professional woman, recent MBA, and last week it became apparent she didn't have a clue where Michigan was, and proudly could care less, which disturbs her cube mate, a economic refugee from Michigan. Americans, and this is a gross simplification, are very provincial, seeing the world thru a very self-centric lense. In this the lense was Texas, which as any Texan knows, is it's own nation. I was a bit surprised. That most Americans can't find Iran on a map, no surprise, or even Delaware, but Michigan. The Great Lakes are an easy giveaway. 

It's not that difficult to find out about noises in the rest of the world, but you have to seek it out. CNN/BBC/Fox/Reuters, they aren't going to feed it to you. To use a food metaphor, it's a special ordered dish.

• Upvote 1

(edited)

On 2/1/2020 at 10:03 PM, ronwagn said:

The American people do not have a problem with the people of any nation, only with their dictatorial governments. Americans are very sympathetic with the protesters in Russia, Hong Kong, Iran, Turkey and elsewhere. Your assumptions and information are mostly quite misguided. 

One of the best posts ever. I’m not sure the average American even cares about bad Authoritarian countries as long as their abuse and attempt at control stays in their borders. We will root for families and kids and hope for better lives the world over but kill us or our allies and we will send a hammer. 
All countries including the US have bad politicians that are poor at making good decisions. But cut the average joe some slack. Lol

Edited by Boat
  • Like 1

Are you equating dictators with bad politicians? Politicians can be voted out. 

On 2/1/2020 at 1:31 PM, Tomasz said:

This will sound anti-American, but the US is at least as guilty of Iran's status in the Middle East as the Iranian authorities themselves. Personally, I would advise you to read the history of American-Iranian relations after WW2 in some scientific source.

Get to know about Operation Ajax, the rule of Shah and the methods of his special service SAVAK. Shooting down the Iranian plane at least a few thousand kilometers from the nearest US border and marking the high order of the ship's commander.

America is totally hated in Iran and this is not due to Iranian propaganda but real actions in last 70 years.

Unfortunately I have never been to Iran but I know some travelers who were there and it so happens that probably nearly all of them admire Iran and Iranians after trip .  I met with the thesis several times that despite all this is the most normal country in the region if we should choose e.g. from Iraq  Iran Saudi Arabia or even Israel and I was just in Israel and with all respect is a country living in the militaristic trend as evidenced by the number of troops on the streets.

If you really want to criticize Iran, Im sorry but I will find easily at least as many reasons to criticize Israel or Saudi Arabia or USA and you should really finally give up this mass anti-Iranian propaganda in western press because I believe more my polish friends who were really there than CNN Fox News or BBC. 

Anyway, this should be done by any reasonable person who remembers how the American media called for war with Iraq and now they pretend that they do not see that the theory of the chemical attack of the Assad troops in Syria has completely shattered, compromising at the same time the United Nations organization for chemical weapons.

Having been informed by a former SAVAK operative and the son of another, I may have a biased point of view. The Islamic clergy leading the revolution in Iran were a French and Soviet intelligence operation at the start. That is where the funding for the revolution came from. The French would get preferential access to the Iranian oil. Things moved on from there, but despite the theocracy's best efforts, the Iranian people are not in line with the clerics, and never had been. They are secular and commerce and science oriented. Very much unlike the popular image of Iran in the US. There is a sharp divide between the elder folks who are ambivalent about the regime, having NOT RESISTED when it came up because they wanted the Shah out for democratic reasons, but the younger generation are extremely unhappy with the clerics and want them gone, preferably dead. The young want a life integrated with the West and view the clergy and the government as corrupt and inept - not to speak of paranoid. Unlike their elders, they have no interest in Iran as a regional hegemon. They are not Russian power worshipers. Nor are they Chinese nationalists drinking CCP kool-aide. 

As I was involved in a book project on the Gulf war some decades back, there was no doubt as to the use of chemical weapons and that those were being moved around and ended up in Syrian hands and shared with Hezbollah. Indeed there were no chemical weapons to be found in Iraq because they had been moved long before Americans plowed into Iraq. They were carefully tracked by Israeli intelligence to their Syrian destination. So I find it entirely credible that Assad used them just as Saddam had. The use is to terrorize civilian populations into submission. Precisely what was pictured in the supposedly fake documentation of Assad's attacks.