Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DD

Israel Strikes "Historic" Gas Deal With Egypt

Israel to export $15bn worth of natural gas to Egypt in the biggest export deal to date for Israel's natural gas industry. Already, there are more political reactions than economic.

Israel and Jordan signed a similar deal a year and a half ago, with Israel agreeing to supply Jordan with $10 billion worth of natural gas over fifteen years 

In announcing the deal, Egypt said it was open to importing gas "from Cyprus or anywhere else." Refused to say word Israel?!

• Upvote 1

It's just about money. It's hard to believe how Egypt could be an ally of Israel. 

B. Netanyahu scores a "historic victory" after allegations of  his "historic" corruption. Just wondering how much of that transaction will be going into his Swiss Bank account?

Interesting. For years, Mubarak sold Egyptian gas to Israel at 60% below market price. The same pipeline will serve now to export the gas to Egypt who will be buying it at a premium price. And, as I know it's a gas which minimum of 50 percents belongs to Palestine.

• Like 1

I read, Israel doesn't have natural gas liquefaction terminals. Egypt has 2, which allow natural gas to be loaded onto tankers and shipped round the world. Both have sat idle for the past five years, since Egypt diverted its exports to the local market

$15 billion over 10 years for natural gas. Over this same time period Egypt will be giving Israel $38 billion-plus (incrementally increasing). Good deal, for Israel.

Not sure we'll reach that 10-year mark with the considerable rumblings in the Middle East right now. 

In the Middle East, everything is possible. Even the beginning of the WW3.

Trade is a good thing globally -- more trading, less fighting.

Sounds like a win-win to me... when the Zohr field is finished, I'm sure Egypt can take a big step towards energy independence.