ff

CoV-19: China, WHO, myth vs fact

The hysteria surrounding the CoV-19 virus is mounting, certainly in this forum. But what are the facts versus myths?

For WHO updates:
https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/situation-reports/

summary from Wikipedia:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misinformation_related_to_the_2019–20_Wuhan_coronavirus_outbreak

typical article from SCMP:
https://www.scmp.com/video/china/3050453/chinas-hubei-province-reports-huge-spike-coronavirus-cases-rising-10-fold

Holy carony Batman! The SCMP reports a 10-times increase in the number of new cases!!  Right, Robin, that sounds extremely serious for the world. Do we know where the SCMP gets its data? No?  My guess is the WHO, as nobody trusts the PRC numbers. Do we know the total cases reported today?  About 60,000 you say?  And the cases yesterday?  About 45,000 you say? hmm, if my grade 2 arithmetic holds, 60000 - 45000 = 15000.  But 10 x 45000 = 450,000. But the total cases today are 60,000.  Something smells fishy in Denmark about this Robin. SCMP cannot be correct.

[commerical break...music... everything tastes better with Bluebonnet on it]

Well, Robin, I've done my own research into the numbers. It's not easy, as the WHO site has delayed data, and the Chinese sites are all in Chinese, and I had to phone our colleague Bat-choy over there in China. But using my Bat-computer to search the Spiderman-web, I was able to get some data that ties together the numbers from SCMP, PRC, and the WHO. 

[behind camera... you know Robin?  We should have developed the web-thing. By now we would be zillionaires and would not need to wear these silly suits.]. 

The data reported is for those "known and identified" cases, not the wacky conjectures you may see in the media.
                                         Feb 6  Feb 9   Feb 12
Diagnosed                      32000   38000   45000
Pending assessment      26000   29000   15000
Total cases identified      58000   67000   60000

So as we see, Robin, the 14000 new cases reported by SCMP are basically the reclassification of the pending cases into the confirmed diagnosed cases.  The actual NEW identified cases show in the total numbers reported. But wait, the total cases for Feb 12 is 60,000 and this is agreed by the SCMP and WHO. But the number is lower than on Feb 9. SCMP simply cannot be correct, as the WHO number of 67000 is much higher than SCMP's 45000. So you see, Robin, never trust journalists: they are not scientists and know next to nothing about how to interpret even the most basic data.

Zowee Batman! You mean the quarantines of 30 million people, 2 new hospitals, $1 billion, are working to reverse the trend?  Are the Chinese beating this evil?  Well, Robin, these are still early days, so we must be careful not to conclude incorrectly, but yes, the immense resources deployed should start producing tangible results very soon.

[music... dadadadadadadadada Batman Batman Batman!]. 

download.jpeg

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

(edited)

Could the discrepancy in numbers be due to the new diagnostic techniques?

Edited by Douglas Buckland
Spelling
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, frankfurter said:

The hysteria surrounding the CoV-19 virus is mounting, certainly in this forum. But what are the facts versus myths?

Up-voted for humorously bolstering your views on the issue.

Obviously, I am in complete disagreement, and think that it is more likely that this particular Coronavirus was bio-engineered by China's military and accidentally escaped from the Wuhan P4 virology lab.

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/sudden-militarization-wuhans-p4-lab-raises-new-questions-about-origin-deadly-covid-19

Sudden Militarization Of Wuhan's P4 Lab Raises New Questions About The Origin Of The Deadly Covid-19 Virus

The reported militarization of Wuhan's P4 Lab has raised new questions about the origin of the Covid-19 virus and the apparent cover-up that has occurred since it was first made public.

Following the removal of the most senior health officials in Wuhan yesterday, Chinese State Media has just reported that Chen Wei, China's chief biochemical weapon defense expert, is now to be stationed in Wuhan to lead the efforts to overcome the deadly, pneumonia-like pathogen.

According to the PLA Daily report, Chen Wei holds the rank of major general, and along with reports that Chinese troops have started to "assist", it strongly suggests that the PLA has taken control of the situation.

A new report - a product of a collaboration between a retired professional scientist with 30 years of experience in genomic sequencing and analysis who helped design several ubiquitous bioinformatic software tools, and a former NSA counterterrorism analyst - suggests that this possible mistake may have been precipitated by the need to quickly finish research that was being rushed for John Hopkin’s Event 201 which was held this past October and meant to gameplan the containment of a global pandemic. Research may also have been hurried due to deadlines before the impending Chinese New Year – the timing of these events point to increased human error, not a globalist conspiracy.

Beijing has had four known accidental leaks of the SARS virus in recent years, so there is absolutely no reason to assume that this strain of coronavirus from Wuhan didn’t accidentally leak out as well.

Given that this outbreak was said to begin in late December when most bat species in the region are hibernating and the Chinese horseshoe bat’s habitat covers an enormous swath of the region containing scores of cities and hundreds of millions people to begin with, the fact that this Wuhan Strain of coronavirus, denoted as Covid-19, emerged in close proximity to the only BSL-4 virology lab in China, now notoriously located in Wuhan, which in turn was staffed with at least two Chinese scientists – Zhengli Shi and Xing-Yi Ge (both virologists who had previously worked at an American lab which already bio-engineered an incredibly virulent strain of bat coronavirus) – the accidental release of a bio-engineered virus meant for defensive immunotherapy research from Wuhan’s virology lab cannot be automatically discounted, especially when the Wuhan Strain’s unnatural genomic signals are considered.

Zhengli Shi notably  co-authored a controversial paper in 2015  which describes the creation of a new virus by combining a coronavirus found in Chinese horseshoe bats with another that causes human-like severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) in mice.

SHI1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Great Response! 3

7 hours ago, frankfurter said:

For WHO updates:
https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/situation-reports/

summary from Wikipedia:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misinformation_related_to_the_2019–20_Wuhan_coronavirus_outbreak

typical article from SCMP:
https://www.scmp.com/video/china/3050453/chinas-hubei-province-reports-huge-spike-coronavirus-cases-rising-10-fold

Holy carony Batman! The SCMP reports a 10-times increase in the number of new cases!!  Right, Robin, that sounds extremely serious for the world. Do we know where the SCMP gets its data? No?  My guess is the WHO, as nobody trusts the PRC numbers. Do we know the total cases reported today?  About 60,000 you say?  And the cases yesterday?  About 45,000 you say? hmm, if my grade 2 arithmetic holds, 60000 - 45000 = 15000.  But 10 x 45000 = 450,000. But the total cases today are 60,000.  Something smells fishy in Denmark about this Robin. SCMP cannot be correct.

[commerical break...music... everything tastes better with Bluebonnet on it]

Well, Robin, I've done my own research into the numbers. It's not easy, as the WHO site has delayed data, and the Chinese sites are all in Chinese, and I had to phone our colleague Bat-choy over there in China. But using my Bat-computer to search the Spiderman-web, I was able to get some data that ties together the numbers from SCMP, PRC, and the WHO. 

[behind camera... you know Robin?  We should have developed the web-thing. By now we would be zillionaires and would not need to wear these silly suits.]. 

The data reported is for those "known and identified" cases, not the wacky conjectures you may see in the media.
                                         Feb 6  Feb 9   Feb 12
Diagnosed                      32000   38000   45000
Pending assessment      26000   29000   15000
Total cases identified      58000   67000   60000

So as we see, Robin, the 14000 new cases reported by SCMP are basically the reclassification of the pending cases into the confirmed diagnosed cases.  The actual NEW identified cases show in the total numbers reported. But wait, the total cases for Feb 12 is 60,000 and this is agreed by the SCMP and WHO. But the number is lower than on Feb 9. SCMP simply cannot be correct, as the WHO number of 67000 is much higher than SCMP's 45000. So you see, Robin, never trust journalists: they are not scientists and know next to nothing about how to interpret even the most basic data.

Zowee Batman! You mean the quarantines of 30 million people, 2 new hospitals, $1 billion, are working to reverse the trend?  Are the Chinese beating this evil?  Well, Robin, these are still early days, so we must be careful not to conclude incorrectly, but yes, the immense resources deployed should start producing tangible results very soon.

[music... dadadadadadadadada Batman Batman Batman!]. 

download.jpeg

Really good.  Had a nice chuckle.  Thanks!

• Like 2

(edited)

Very creative but a conclusion pulled out of thin air.  An 33% increase in confirmed cases and 15% increase in Deaths is not reversing a trend.  In fact, it should lead to skepticism of the data thus far provided.  Hospitals do not stop Chinese from contracting the virus.  They may help stop Confirmed cases from becoming Deaths but not much else.  Quarantines help ... I 'll give you that.  But hearing that the asymptomatic period might be 20+ days rather than 12-14 days should scare the living hell out of everybody.  

Batman and Robin is the perfect analogy for your script.  Remember, Batman and/or Robin we usually captured (quarantined/hospitalized) by Penguin/Joker/Riddler etc (Chinese) with a plot to slowly kill them (coronavirus).  The biggest issue with this analogy is Batman and Robin always escaped to live another day.  Not so for the 1370 lives (as of 2/13).  And remember, the Total Confirmed, 60,363, will eventually fall into Total Deaths or Total Recovered.   Nothing I've read anywhere provides me with the level of comfort you seem to possess and confer to the Chinese response.

Edited by Bob D
grammar
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

The data is still entirely incomplete. Chinese health officials are not getting real numbers even if they cared enough to get them. Most of the Covid-19 dead and infected never reached a hospital. The dead are not labeled by the coroners correctly, having been provided with contradictory instructions at various points to hide the extent of deaths from the higher ups at the central government. The crematoria being as busy as they are widely reported to be, there is absolutely no way the official numbers reflect anything. The hospital bottleneck screens out the vast majority of cases they never see a medical pro. 

Going by the crematoria capacity vs. normal run rates 25k dead two weeks ago is entirely reasonable, That would bring you to 60-70k dead by now. The number of symptomatic patients is a total mystery. We can use epidemiological modelling to make a rough estimate, as the facts we know indicate a very easy spread of the virus via aerosol, touch to eyes or mouth, unsymptomatic carriers, surfaces, and recovered patients continue being infectious, the R0 can not be anything like the order of magnitude of 2.6 calculated from the official data. The R0 has to be above 4. And the two months of spread before the quarantine two weeks ago when the virus was unrestricted, could have actually produced exposure for well over a million people.

The less bad interpretation would be that most people exposed never develop a serious condition and 

The classification method is very much obfuscating the epidemiological issues. In addition to not knowing the number of deaths, we don't have an exposure statistic, and no released statistical sampling to indicate virulence and only crematoria data to gauge deaths, mortality rates. 

WHO is restricted to government feed. They might as well be a department of the PLA biowarfare division.

The output from the confirmed case statistics out of the hospitals, a small subset of infections and deaths, shows a deaths to recoveries ratio of 23%. Which we can at least take as the top possible value for its mortality. Not reassuring, but should improve as treatments continue optimization and Wuhan patients are now starting to get actual treatment rather than get stuffed into cross infection farms. 

I would suggest that you drop the idea that real numbers are coming out of China. Even their own  folks don't know them. The hierarchy has been suppressing information and misclassifying deaths and diagnoses to paint a prettier picture to the higher ups. The CCP system is ossified and non  functional outside of suppression technology to restrain public discourse and information. 

• Like 1
  • Great Response! 4
  • Upvote 2

It is impossible to know any "real numbers" as many people will be asymptomatic or not report to health officials.

Any number is a best guess based on a model.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 0R0 said:

I would suggest that you drop the idea that real numbers are coming out of China. Even their own  folks don't know them. The hierarchy has been suppressing information and misclassifying deaths and diagnoses to paint a prettier picture to the higher ups. The CCP system is ossified and non  functional outside of suppression technology to restrain public discourse and information. 

There's a reason for this: 

Dīng zhù de dīngzi huì bèi chuí dǎ

The nail that sticks up gets hammered down.

Chinese know this lesson very very well, especially the CCP. Great country to hide information. 

Our favorite hotdog likes to point out the WHO backing up… something. But the WHO wasn't even allowed into the country until the 10th of this month, and that was just getting permission, I have no idea if they've even got feet on the ground there yet, nor which city they'll be allowed to visit. Hence using them for gospel is only sightly better than going to your neighborhood gossip. 

• Like 1
  • Great Response! 1
  • Upvote 1

This new virus is looking more and more like the old Respiratory Syncytial Virus, only with a higher mortality rate. 

RSV suppresses both innate and adaptive immune function, allowing the virus to settle into a host and really do some serious damage, especially in my age bracket. 

Isn't it interesting that the hotdog seems to have gone away. In fact, the hotdog seems to have established an inverse relationship to the death toll. I suppose the virus could have subsumed him into the mustard of his own relish, especially if he smoked on the grill.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gerry Maddoux said:

This new virus is looking more and more like the old Respiratory Syncytial Virus, only with a higher mortality rate. 

RSV suppresses both innate and adaptive immune function, allowing the virus to settle into a host and really do some serious damage, especially in my age bracket. 

Isn't it interesting that the hotdog seems to have gone away. In fact, the hotdog seems to have established an inverse relationship to the death toll. I suppose the virus could have subsumed him into the mustard of his own relish, especially if he smoked on the grill.

Laying bait?

• Haha 1

Fact: CCP (Communist Party of China) issues "wartime state" directive:

In order to further discipline, compact responsibility, and ensure that all prevention and control work is carried out in an efficient and standardized manner, the Party Committee of the Beijing Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued a wartime state order, requiring its party members and employees to fully recognize the "critical period", "critical moment", and "keys" The urgency and importance of the moment, consciously established a "very conscious" and entered a "wartime state."

Here ya go:

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/china-vows-put-end-lab-leakage-pathogenic-samples

China Vows To Put An End To "Lab Leakage Of Pathogenic Microorganisms And Various Samples"

Seemingly providing more anecdotal evidence that the Covid-19 outbreak was caused by an accidental leak of a bio-engineered virus and not by some freak of nature in Wuhan's market, China's Communist Party has issued a serious "Wartime Order" demanding more care and containment be taken with virus handling. Specifically:

Strengthen laboratory management and resolutely put an end to the theft, leakage, and loss of pathogenic bacteria (poisons) and various samples...”

As we detailed previously, scientists have expressed concern about China’s ability to safely monitor this BSL-4 lab in Wuhan since it opened in 2017:

an open culture is important to keeping BSL-4 labs safe, and he questions how easy this will be in China, where society emphasizes hierarchy. ‘Diversity of viewpoint, flat structures where everyone feels free to speak up and openness of information are important.'” 

This lab is at most 20 miles from the wet market where the virus had been assumed to have jumped from animal to human.

However the idea that a Chinese lab could have a viral sample escape is well-documented – as mentioned, one lab in Beijing has had four separate incidents of the SARS virus leaking out accidentally.

“These narratives of escaped pathogens have common themes,” argued an analysis of biocontainment failures by medical historian Martin Furmanski in the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists.

“There are unrecognized technical flaws in standard biocontainment...

The first infection, or index case, happens in a person not working directly with the pathogen that infects him or her, as in the smallpox and SARS escapes. Poor training of personnel and slack oversight of laboratory procedures negate policy efforts by national and international bodies to achieve biosecurity, as shown in the SARS and smallpox escapes.”

And given our previous detailing of the possible source of the virus and the sudden militarization of the lab and response in Wuhan, one might wonder if the Chinese are closing the barn door after the deadly viral horse has bolted.

Full Wartime Status Order below....

Party Committee of Beijing Centers for Disease Control 

In order to further discipline, compact responsibility, and ensure that all prevention and control work is carried out in an efficient and standardized manner, the Party Committee of the Beijing Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued a wartime state order, requiring its party members and employees to fully recognize the "critical period", "critical moment", and "keys" The urgency and importance of the moment, consciously established a "very conscious" and entered a "wartime state."

The first is to insist on using "state of war" to lead the thinking.

The center not only fulfills the city's epidemic prevention and control duties, provides professional technical support duties for government decision-making, but also implements the "unit responsibility" of the "quartet responsibility" to protect the safety and health of all employees, both of which are equally important and cannot be sidelined. Under the unified leadership of the Party Committee, it unconditionally obeys the decision-making and deployment of the Party Committee in the wartime state and serves the current prevention and control work. It resonates at the same frequency, obeys unified orders, unified commands, and acts.

The second is to insist on strengthening implementation with "wartime standards."

All party members and cadres must take overall consideration into account and resolutely put an end to work mistakes caused by this mistake. All employees must unconditionally obey work scheduling and consciously obey management. Strengthen the work style and achieve "the end of the day and the end of the day"; adhere to the problem-oriented, responsibility-oriented, sensitive matters in the prevention and control, unexplained events and the work of leaders at all levels, to understand the situation at the grassroots level and guide commence to work.

The third is to strictly control contact with "wartime thinking."

Minimize "cross-contact". During the epidemic, all staff members are strictly prohibited from leaving Beijing, strictly commuting to work, eating out, and consciously doing good health management after work. The Security Section should strengthen the access control of the three courtyards, and strictly control the entrance and exit of the gates and all foreign personnel. All personnel enter the hospital area for temperature monitoring and must enter the hospital with work cards to reduce unnecessary travel during work. Non-work must not be connected to the department, try to use the phone or WeChat, SMS and other means of communication. Try to have as few meetings and short meetings as possible to control the number of participants.

The fourth is to insist on strict management with "wartime thinking."

Highlight political security, ideological security, network information security, security of confidential work, laboratory biological security, food security, etc. The epidemic data collection, statistics and reporting will be done well, and information security and confidentiality security incidents will be resolutely prevented. Front-line personnel engaged in flow regulation, pathogen inspection, and close management should strictly implement prevention and control guidelines and operating specifications, do a good job of personal protection requirements, and ensure personal safety. Strengthen laboratory management and resolutely put an end to the theft, leakage, and loss of pathogenic bacteria (poisons) and various samples.

Fifth, we must adhere to the "wartime need" service guarantee.

The equipment and material security department shall fully protect the front line, make plans in advance in accordance with the needs of the prevention and control of the flow of returning adults in Beijing, and evaluate and reserve and manage protective materials daily. Implement the "precision arrangement of materials" requirements, timely grasp the material inventory and daily consumption, and carry out scientific and efficient deployment, not only to implement a convenient procurement process to meet the needs of prevention and control, but also to seriously fulfill the "three major and one big" and internal control requirements. All employees should implement self-protection requirements, and non-epidemic personnel should not wear medical N95 masks, including N95 masks purchased by themselves.

Sixth, we must adhere to "war discipline" and take it seriously.

The current situation of epidemic prevention and control is extremely severe, and the responsibility for prevention and control is more important than Mount Tai. The big battle is coming. All party branches must mobilize their thoughts and gather the masses to give full play to the role of battle fortress; cadres at all levels must lead by example, dare to take the lead and give full play to the leading role; each party member must advance, take on the burden and give full play to the vanguard Exemplary role. All party branches, departments, and cadres at all levels must earnestly perform their main responsibilities, and disciplinary commissions must perform their supervisory responsibilities to ensure the smooth flow of government orders and prohibitions.

All middle-level cadres and branch secretaries who violated the disciplinary requirements in the entire epidemic prevention and control work and caused significant adverse effects and serious consequences to the center and the city's prevention and control work were all suspended or dismissed in advance; timely public notification of typical problems investigated and dealt with.

We hope you are now reassured this won't happen again...

• Like 3
  • Great Response! 2
  • Haha 2

Calling the Chinese Communist Party idiots isn't quite hysteria.  

Its more just... observation.  Their response is worthy of a worldwide facepalm.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

The Long March ended  70 years ago. Yet they keep going with the same mindset.  Don't they know that the it was conducted by Feudal warlords?

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Well... 

At least a couple of people here caught the humour and analogy.  The point is to show how numbers can be reported and misreported in the media.

In the realm of possibilities, for the comments posted, any opinion may be valid, for that is the very nature of possibility.  Is the virus a lab zoo-? possible. Is the data set incomplete? possible.  Are people dying before diagnosis?  possible. 

But, was this virus bio-engineered in Wuhan?  We cannot know.  All governments keep their bio-labs secret.  Where was it 1st engineered? Perhaps in the USA? Could it be engineered in China? possible.  Could it be leaked from a lab, by accident? possible. Deliberately? here I draw a big line to say no.

Is the circumstantial evidence sufficient to raise suspicions?  Yes. Any outbreak of this nature and magnitude raises serious doubts. Why there? Why now? etc.

Again, in the realm of possibilities, anything is possible. Could this have been planted by a foreign power operand? Possible. Would a motive be present? Possible, nay even likely. But can this be proven? No, not yet, perhaps never. 

Does the PRC have a motive to suppress information? yes. For the same reason the USA government suppresses all information concerning the Kennedy Assassination, 911, and very much more. All governments are consistent in their response to anything that can cause people to rise against them: why else do we have the designation "top secret", "classified information", etc?  They are all equally guilty. 

But, in the end, do the possibilities really matter?  If you are dying from a known cause, all the possible possibilities for reasons mean nothing to you: your situation is binary, either you live or die.

What matters is how to end this nightmare swiftly. Whether the cases are 60,000 or 600,000, and the death rate is 20% or 50%, what matters is to stop this. In this regard, I find China is doing everything humanly possible. 

And THAT is the reason why people who spin tales, no matter how reasoned they may be, are doing more harm than good. The time now is not for tales, hype, scorn, hysteria, condemnation, and daggers; but for a helping hand.

Lest we forget... if you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem.

Lest we forget... ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee.

• Great Response! 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, frankfurter said:

Well... 

At least a couple of people here caught the humour and analogy.  The point is to show how numbers can be reported and misreported in the media.

In the realm of possibilities, for the comments posted, any opinion may be valid, for that is the very nature of possibility.  Is the virus a lab zoo-? possible. Is the data set incomplete? possible.  Are people dying before diagnosis?  possible. 

But, was this virus bio-engineered in Wuhan?  We cannot know.  All governments keep their bio-labs secret.  Where was it 1st engineered? Perhaps in the USA? Could it be engineered in China? possible.  Could it be leaked from a lab, by accident? possible. Deliberately? here I draw a big line to say no.

Is the circumstantial evidence sufficient to raise suspicions?  Yes. Any outbreak of this nature and magnitude raises serious doubts. Why there? Why now? etc.

Again, in the realm of possibilities, anything is possible. Could this have been planted by a foreign power operand? Possible. Would a motive be present? Possible, nay even likely. But can this be proven? No, not yet, perhaps never. 

Does the PRC have a motive to suppress information? yes. For the same reason the USA government suppresses all information concerning the Kennedy Assassination, 911, and very much more. All governments are consistent in their response to anything that can cause people to rise against them: why else do we have the designation "top secret", "classified information", etc?  They are all equally guilty. 

But, in the end, do the possibilities really matter?  If you are dying from a known cause, all the possible possibilities for reasons mean nothing to you: your situation is binary, either you live or die.

What matters is how to end this nightmare swiftly. Whether the cases are 60,000 or 600,000, and the death rate is 20% or 50%, what matters is to stop this. In this regard, I find China is doing everything humanly possible. 

And THAT is the reason why people who spin tales, no matter how reasoned they may be, are doing more harm than good. The time now is not for tales, hype, scorn, hysteria, condemnation, and daggers; but for a helping hand.

Lest we forget... if you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem.

Lest we forget... ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee.

I'm in complete agreement with the first bolded statement. I simply cannot believe anyone would be moronic enough to purposely release this from a lab. Accident? Definitely possible, even likely. In fact I might have a culprit no one would be looking for. Already in Hong Kong there was an office building that was evacuated because the sewer line had a leak, which had infiltrated the ventilation system, infecting who knows how many with COVID19. Who even looks for that? Your people could be going through 6 levels of proper decontamination and the little buggers are sneaking through the HVAC system, because these buggers are in stools too. 

The part about the foreign power doing this on purpose? That doesn't make sense, it's simply too dangerous. Maybe a terrorist group, but I'm praying to God they don't have access to these kind of pathogens and tools. 

Finally, as I said about this months ago, only China could successfully quarantine major cities like this and make it stick. If this was happening in New York City and they tried the same thing, activist judges would be issuing injunctions stopping the quarantine while untold Millions escaped. I pray it doesn't happen here for precisely that reason. 

• Great Response! 1
  • Upvote 4

(edited)

4 hours ago, Tom Kirkman said:

Fact: CCP (Communist Party of China) issues "wartime state" directive:

Here ya go:

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/china-vows-put-end-lab-leakage-pathogenic-samples

China Vows To Put An End To "Lab Leakage Of Pathogenic Microorganisms And Various Samples"

Seemingly providing more anecdotal evidence that the Covid-19 outbreak was caused by an accidental leak of a bio-engineered virus and not by some freak of nature in Wuhan's market, China's Communist Party has issued a serious "Wartime Order" demanding more care and containment be taken with virus handling. Specifically:

Strengthen laboratory management and resolutely put an end to the theft, leakage, and loss of pathogenic bacteria (poisons) and various samples...”

As we detailed previously, scientists have expressed concern about China’s ability to safely monitor this BSL-4 lab in Wuhan since it opened in 2017:

an open culture is important to keeping BSL-4 labs safe, and he questions how easy this will be in China, where society emphasizes hierarchy. ‘Diversity of viewpoint, flat structures where everyone feels free to speak up and openness of information are important.'” 

This lab is at most 20 miles from the wet market where the virus had been assumed to have jumped from animal to human.

However the idea that a Chinese lab could have a viral sample escape is well-documented – as mentioned, one lab in Beijing has had four separate incidents of the SARS virus leaking out accidentally.

“These narratives of escaped pathogens have common themes,” argued an analysis of biocontainment failures by medical historian Martin Furmanski in the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists.

“There are unrecognized technical flaws in standard biocontainment...

The first infection, or index case, happens in a person not working directly with the pathogen that infects him or her, as in the smallpox and SARS escapes. Poor training of personnel and slack oversight of laboratory procedures negate policy efforts by national and international bodies to achieve biosecurity, as shown in the SARS and smallpox escapes.”

And given our previous detailing of the possible source of the virus and the sudden militarization of the lab and response in Wuhan, one might wonder if the Chinese are closing the barn door after the deadly viral horse has bolted.

Full Wartime Status Order below....

Party Committee of Beijing Centers for Disease Control 

The first is to insist on using "state of war" to lead the thinking.

The center not only fulfills the city's epidemic prevention and control duties, provides professional technical support duties for government decision-making, but also implements the "unit responsibility" of the "quartet responsibility" to protect the safety and health of all employees, both of which are equally important and cannot be sidelined. Under the unified leadership of the Party Committee, it unconditionally obeys the decision-making and deployment of the Party Committee in the wartime state and serves the current prevention and control work. It resonates at the same frequency, obeys unified orders, unified commands, and acts.

The second is to insist on strengthening implementation with "wartime standards."

All party members and cadres must take overall consideration into account and resolutely put an end to work mistakes caused by this mistake. All employees must unconditionally obey work scheduling and consciously obey management. Strengthen the work style and achieve "the end of the day and the end of the day"; adhere to the problem-oriented, responsibility-oriented, sensitive matters in the prevention and control, unexplained events and the work of leaders at all levels, to understand the situation at the grassroots level and guide commence to work.

The third is to strictly control contact with "wartime thinking."

Minimize "cross-contact". During the epidemic, all staff members are strictly prohibited from leaving Beijing, strictly commuting to work, eating out, and consciously doing good health management after work. The Security Section should strengthen the access control of the three courtyards, and strictly control the entrance and exit of the gates and all foreign personnel. All personnel enter the hospital area for temperature monitoring and must enter the hospital with work cards to reduce unnecessary travel during work. Non-work must not be connected to the department, try to use the phone or WeChat, SMS and other means of communication. Try to have as few meetings and short meetings as possible to control the number of participants.

The fourth is to insist on strict management with "wartime thinking."

Highlight political security, ideological security, network information security, security of confidential work, laboratory biological security, food security, etc. The epidemic data collection, statistics and reporting will be done well, and information security and confidentiality security incidents will be resolutely prevented. Front-line personnel engaged in flow regulation, pathogen inspection, and close management should strictly implement prevention and control guidelines and operating specifications, do a good job of personal protection requirements, and ensure personal safety. Strengthen laboratory management and resolutely put an end to the theft, leakage, and loss of pathogenic bacteria (poisons) and various samples.

Fifth, we must adhere to the "wartime need" service guarantee.

The equipment and material security department shall fully protect the front line, make plans in advance in accordance with the needs of the prevention and control of the flow of returning adults in Beijing, and evaluate and reserve and manage protective materials daily. Implement the "precision arrangement of materials" requirements, timely grasp the material inventory and daily consumption, and carry out scientific and efficient deployment, not only to implement a convenient procurement process to meet the needs of prevention and control, but also to seriously fulfill the "three major and one big" and internal control requirements. All employees should implement self-protection requirements, and non-epidemic personnel should not wear medical N95 masks, including N95 masks purchased by themselves.

Sixth, we must adhere to "war discipline" and take it seriously.

The current situation of epidemic prevention and control is extremely severe, and the responsibility for prevention and control is more important than Mount Tai. The big battle is coming. All party branches must mobilize their thoughts and gather the masses to give full play to the role of battle fortress; cadres at all levels must lead by example, dare to take the lead and give full play to the leading role; each party member must advance, take on the burden and give full play to the vanguard Exemplary role. All party branches, departments, and cadres at all levels must earnestly perform their main responsibilities, and disciplinary commissions must perform their supervisory responsibilities to ensure the smooth flow of government orders and prohibitions.

All middle-level cadres and branch secretaries who violated the disciplinary requirements in the entire epidemic prevention and control work and caused significant adverse effects and serious consequences to the center and the city's prevention and control work were all suspended or dismissed in advance; timely public notification of typical problems investigated and dealt with.

We hope you are now reassured this won't happen again...

Frankly, the declarations are a call to arms, which is a good thing. This virus needs the country to be mobilised.  I do not consider them to be an admission the virus is lab-grown and leaked.  

Edited by frankfurter
retraction

18 minutes ago, Ward Smith said:

I'm in complete agreement with the first bolded statement. I simply cannot believe anyone would be moronic enough to purposely release this from a lab. Accident? Definitely possible, even likely. In fact I might have a culprit no one would be looking for. Already in Hong Kong there was an office building that was evacuated because the sewer line had a leak, which had infiltrated the ventilation system, infecting who knows how many with COVID19. Who even looks for that? Your people could be going through 6 levels of proper decontamination and the little buggers are sneaking through the HVAC system, because these buggers are in stools too. 

The part about the foreign power doing this on purpose? That doesn't make sense, it's simply too dangerous. Maybe a terrorist group, but I'm praying to God they don't have access to these kind of pathogens and tools. 

Finally, as I said about this months ago, only China could successfully quarantine major cities like this and make it stick. If this was happening in New York City and they tried the same thing, activist judges would be issuing injunctions stopping the quarantine while untold Millions escaped. I pray it doesn't happen here for precisely that reason. 

wow, amazing. For the 1st time I am in agreement with a declared enemy.  Should I be prosecuted for treason?

1/ Anything is possible. IF the HK incident occurred as you say, a huge alarm must be sounded. Like you, I cannot believe anybody in China or HK could be so sinister to release this virus purposely. The implications of such are horribly frightening.  But anything is possible.

2/ A foreign operand? like you, I hope and pray not. IF this occurred, prayer would be all we have.  But, it is possible. The implications are horribly frightening. 

3/ The world should breathe a sigh of relief to know this occurred in China and is contained in China.  Only China has the 100,000 medical stall and the $billions that have been deployed rapidly in 2 weeks, and can yet do more, and is doing more daily.  Only China has the systems and expertise to deal with massive scales.  The USA has NO national medical system, so a virus of this magnitude would simply wipe out the USA.  Your government knows this, but will not admit to you: hence the reason ALL flights are banned. Your system could not handle so few as a hundred cases: 60,000? no possible way.

All the more reason for people to step back, think, and lend a helping land. 

• Upvote 1

“All the more reason for people to step back, think, and lend a helping land. “

i believe that assistance was offered by many, the US included, but it was rejected -at least initially.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, frankfurter said:

1/ Anything is possible. IF the HK incident occurred as you say, a huge alarm must be sounded. Like you, I cannot believe anybody in China or HK could be so sinister to release this virus purposely. The implications of such are horribly frightening.  But anything is possible.

2/ A foreign operand? like you, I hope and pray not. IF this occurred, prayer would be all we have.  But, it is possible. The implications are horribly frightening. 

1/ This is what I think is most possible, if in fact a figure in the Beijing government wanted to once and for all shut down the large and bothersome protests, protests for things that are clearly out of the question.  It would also demonstrate to the Hong Kong people how much the Motherland loves them and takes care of them in crisis.  Sure beats military crackdowns and/or all out occupation by the PLA.......

2/ A domestic operand to break in to the Wuhan facilities, carry the virus to Hong Kong and get it started.  If this were true, and I hope as much as you that it wasn't/isn't, the operand might have been sloppy in Wuhan and unleashed an accidental outbreak there as well.

3/ Your assessment here is simply wrong.  The U.S. would handle an outbreak just fine.  Not saying there wouldn't be pain and deaths, but it would be handled by both civilian and military medical staff that are fully trained and prepared across the country.  Also, with the U.S. transportation network and capability, personnel and supplies can be produced and moved to troubled areas in hours and days.  The National Guard in each state would most definitely support such efforts.  Some may accuse them of being heavy handed, but it wouldn't be America without somebody claiming the government was trampling on their God given rights(!), damnit.

Anyway, as you say, for items 1 & 2 it's just for discussion and consideration.  I certainly don't have any facts to support my thoughts.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Dan Warnick said:

1/ This is what I think is most possible, if in fact a figure in the Beijing government wanted to once and for all shut down the large and bothersome protests, protests for things that are clearly out of the question.  It would also demonstrate to the Hong Kong people how much the Motherland loves them and takes care of them in crisis.  Sure beats military crackdowns and/or all out occupation by the PLA.......

2/ A domestic operand to break in to the Wuhan facilities, carry the virus to Hong Kong and get it started.  If this were true, and I hope as much as you that it wasn't/isn't, the operand might have been sloppy in Wuhan and unleashed an accidental outbreak there as well.

3/ Your assessment here is simply wrong.  The U.S. would handle an outbreak just fine.  Not saying there wouldn't be pain and deaths, but it would be handled by both civilian and military medical staff that are fully trained and prepared across the country.  Also, with the U.S. transportation network and capability, personnel and supplies can be produced and moved to troubled areas in hours and days.  The National Guard in each state would most definitely support such efforts.  Some may accuse them of being heavy handed, but it wouldn't be America without somebody claiming the government was trampling on their God given rights(!), damnit.

Anyway, as you say, for items 1 & 2 it's just for discussion and consideration.  I certainly don't have any facts to support my thoughts.

3/ Let's hope the day never comes to put the issue to test. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

For consideration.  The following video features footage of the citizen journalist who made the videos inside a Wuhan hospital, calling for "power to the people".  He has now apparently disappeared.

Titled "Fang Bin is second Chinese citizen journalist to vanish while reporting from coronavirus epicentre"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUvBNpkxrJo

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

(edited)

In fairness, smallpox was found in an unprotected storage room in the USA.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-28221185

#Oops

Edited by Enthalpic
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Enthalpic said:

In fairness, smallpox was found in an unprotected storage room in the USA.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-28221185

#Oops

This type of post baffle me.

"In fairness"???  I assume you feel better knowing the US has misplaced a small pox sample during the Chinese Coronavirus debacle?

Smoking Gun? Chinese Scientist Finds "Killer Coronavirus Probably Originated From A Laboratory In Wuhan" 

https://www.zerohedge.com/health/smokin ... tory-wuhan

(edited)

5 minutes ago, Bob D said:

This type of post baffle me.

"In fairness"???  I assume you feel better knowing the US has misplaced a small pox sample during the Chinese Coronavirus debacle?

Just pointing out accidental shit happens everywhere - nobody is perfect.

You know a smallpox leak would be way worse than this virus right?  That was an epic mistake.

Another leaking US lab.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/virus-biological-us-army-weapons-fort-detrick-leak-ebola-anthrax-smallpox-ricin-a9042641.html

This doesn't make me feel better, it scares me - but it's happening everywhere not just China.

Edited by Enthalpic
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Enthalpic said:

Just pointing out accidental shit happens everywhere - nobody is perfect.

You know a smallpox leak would be way worse than this virus right?  That was an epic mistake.

Another leaking US lab.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/virus-biological-us-army-weapons-fort-detrick-leak-ebola-anthrax-smallpox-ricin-a9042641.html

This doesn't make me feel better, it scares me - but it's happening everywhere not just China.

Link #1   "The vials were located in an unused area of a storage room in a Food and Drug Administration laboratory on an NIH campus in Bethesda."  

Link #2    Zero viral agent releases.  Simply updating safety measures.  Who doesn't agree with this? 

So in fairness, nothing like the Chinese biological weapon that is currently dancing around the globe.  Deadly viruses and pathogens are indiscriminate killers.  I don't like our allies or enemies or us tinkering with potential global pandemics.  

Don't forget this story.

https://www.zerohedge.com/health/smoking-gun-chinese-scientist-finds-killer-coronavirus-probably-originated-laboratory-wuhan

• Like 1