Tom Kirkman

Charts of COVID-19 Fatality Rate by Age and Sex

7 minutes ago, Rob Plant said:

Haven't got one mate

If I did I would tell the child to make their own decisions based on as much evidence as they could get, then they could justify that decision to anyone, whether right or wrong.

Doug I get your whole argument and I'm not disagreeing, but you must realise that the US has been that ever present hegemon for 70 odd years. Its all people have ever known. Its not right for people and countries to be so reliant but it is also human nature to do so. NATO is an obvious example of this in practice.

I get where you are coming from, and I agree wholeheartedly. It simply gets tiring when all you hear regarding your country is negative.

I do NOT believe we are any cleverer or more intelligent than anyone else, but I do feel that we may be more open and have more personal freedoms than most. Culturally we are mongrels, and proud of it!

For some reason it appears that it is fine for others to be patriots and proud of their countries, but woe to any Yank who is proud to be American.

2 hours ago, Rob Plant said:

Yep it has only just started in the US, 247 deaths yesterday and over 13000 new cases, way more new cases than any other country in the world. In fact nearly double what Spain have reported and they are in a world of pain right now.

Trump is about as far away from reality with opening up America's doors at Easter as you could possibly be.

What I cant understand is that with some healthy people it is that mild they don't even know they have got it, and other healthy people drop dead within 2 weeks. Its like there are 2 strains of this thing, or that some are really prone to the virus with the majority almost not affected. The problem is we dont know why this is so and who is most vulnerable.

I know 7 people in 2 families now who have gotten this - 4 in Scotland and 3 in London. For all of them it was somewhat similar. They were sick and listless for a little while, started feeling better, then WHAM - high temperature and flat on their backs for a day or two. Then slow recovery.

One of these was a teen, and three were kids under 10.  Mild symptoms can still be pretty nasty.

I'm looking forward to the antibody tests coming out. Then we'll have a better idea of how many people actually have no symptoms.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

(edited)

43 minutes ago, Douglas Buckland said:

For some reason it appears that it is fine for others to be patriots and proud of their countries, but woe to any Yank who is proud to be American.

Ive never met a yank who isnt proud of their country and fair play to you all there's much to be proud of. i certainly dont begrudge that!!

Personally I would never move to another country I'm super proud of my nation and its people (most of the time) for what it has achieved and given the world over the centuries!

Hey were as good as cousins anyway!, you just abuse our language thats all 😂

Edited by Rob Plant

31 minutes ago, Geoff Guenther said:

I know 7 people in 2 families now who have gotten this - 4 in Scotland and 3 in London. For all of them it was somewhat similar. They were sick and listless for a little while, started feeling better, then WHAM - high temperature and flat on their backs for a day or two. Then slow recovery.

One of these was a teen, and three were kids under 10.  Mild symptoms can still be pretty nasty.

I'm looking forward to the antibody tests coming out. Then we'll have a better idea of how many people actually have no symptoms.

Was it the actual CoVID or just the flu?  Were tests actually done?  Sounds like the common flu I had a month ago. 

4 minutes ago, footeab@yahoo.com said:

Was it the actual CoVID or just the flu?  Were tests actually done?  Sounds like the common flu I had a month ago. 

Yeah I had the same 3 weeks ago, I thought people were going to burn me at the stake when I coughed.

30 minutes ago, footeab@yahoo.com said:

25 minutes ago, Rob Plant said:

Yeah I had the same 3 weeks ago, I thought people were going to burn me at the stake when I coughed.

It's possible that it was just the flu. It matches the symptoms of those who said they had COVID, but of course plebs in the UK aren't allowed to get tested yet - they're saving tests for the prince.

1 minute ago, Geoff Guenther said:

It's possible that it was just the flu. It matches the symptoms of those who said they had COVID, but of course plebs in the UK aren't allowed to get tested yet - they're saving tests for the prince.

More likely a bad cold

I had no sore throat, a cough but it wasnt a dry repetitive cough, and no temperature so i'm 99.9% certain I just had a normal winter cold.

Unsurprisingly there was no way of me testing to find out anyway, unlike our beloved Prince Charlie who was tested within minutes.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rob Plant said:

Ive never met a yank who isnt proud of their country and fair play to you all there's much to be proud of. i certainly dont begrudge that!!

Personally I would never move to another country I'm super proud of my nation and its people (most of the time) for what it has achieved and given the world over the centuries!

Hey were as good as cousins anyway!, you just abuse our language thats all 😂

So what! You guys burned down the capital building!!!

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Douglas Buckland said:

A ruse! Just to collect on the insurance.

49 minutes ago, Douglas Buckland said:

What about all our bloody tea???

We sailed that across 2 oceans damnit!!

On 3/25/2020 at 5:16 AM, Yoshiro Kamamura said:

After all, the Spanish flu from 1918 also began with a milder wave, then it struck again in the autumn and killed 100 millions of people worldwide. But what the hell, it was just a flu, right, Tom? A plain flu, only a bit Spanish, so why panic when our profits are at stake. 

Question for you: If you were a young healthy person in 1918, did you want to catch that first wave, or hide out from it, and catch the second wave?

5 minutes ago, TooSteep said:

Question for you: If you were a young healthy person in 1918, did you want to catch that first wave, or hide out from it, and catch the second wave?

Now that is an excellent point!

(edited)

Excellent point indeed! 

"Corona virus challenge" for young people, then?

Coronavirus: 'Moron' who licked toilet bowl 'now in hospital with the bug'

The so-called 'coronavirus challenge' began after a TikTok influencer shared a clip of herself licking an plane toilet seat as someone says "it's corona time"

A man who filmed himself licking a toilet bowl in the 'coronavirus challenge' is now reportedly ill in hospital with the deadly disease.

In bizarre footage posted on TikTok, the man can be seen placing his mouth around the bowl and extending his tongue.

According to Piers Morgan on GMB, the same man is now receiving treatment.

The presenter said: "You may remember also the other idiot, this is also in America, as part of the coronavirus challenge some morons are doing, went into  his local toilet cubicle and licked the bowl.

"I think this called karma - he's got coronavirus."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/coronavirus-challenge-moron-who-licked-21749466

So young - he only had like 0.09 percent to catch it, right? Way to show you have the balls to "take it on the chin"!

Edited by Yoshiro Kamamura
  • Haha 2

This is all very interesting--especially the smoking aspect. Another avenue I considered is widespread drug use (particularly abuse of prescription drugs)--and the contribution to heart ailments. With marijuana use now largely legal, it's worth noting that the NIDA (a division of NIH.gov) points out that the risk of a heart attack "increases five-fold within an hour of smoking marijuana," so the long-term potential damage to the heart is statistically significant. What I'm noting is a RUSH to assign COVID-19 as a cause of death--causing mass panic. 

What isn't being talked about much (there was one paper, and I'm told it was withdrawn) is the similarity of COVID-19 to the HIV virus, and the apparent immunity about 10% of Europeans have to HIV due to the CCR5 gene mutation. I'm currently analyzing my DNA, and generally looking into this phenomenon. When I see people questioning why Germany has a low mortality rate, it seems almost like there is an invisible force ignoring this possible aspect. Of course, an actually immune person could still spread the disease, but the non (or reduced)-receptive cell receptors would severely curtail the time of habitation for the virus (and reduce the effectiveness of the host as a vector, presumably.) I'm not a medical professional, but this seems like straightforward logic. 

My current methodology for analyzing my own (Ancestry DNA file) has been to download and open it in Word and searching for the relevant SNP's. I've converted the file to the 23andme format to look for associated markers related to the 32-prime CCR5 mutation (i3003626 in 23andme terms.) I'm also using Promethease.com to look at the file, and found the rs9264942 SNP showing Thymine and Cytosine (TC)--indicating a 60% reduction of HIV viral load if I were to become infected. Now, obviously, actual traits are the result of multiple genes interacting so it will take a wider view. The other relevant SNP's (I know of) are: rs3131018, rs4418214, rs2395029, and rs333 (general term for i3003626.)

I can't find i3003626, rs2395029, or rs333 in my files. I'm about ready to assume I don't have the 32-prime CCR5 mutation--almost. If anyone has any insight to this, I wouldn't mind your input.

• Upvote 1

Scroll through the 'deaths per million' column here:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

The variability is shocking. Particularly comparing Germany to Italy and Spain, but also France, Switzerland, Netherlands, Belgium.

Obviously, we will need to see how these look over time, but there sure does appear to be dramatic differences in fatality. Are there a critical volume of biometric data scientists looking at this anywhere? How do they tease out the critical mitigating factors?

On 3/2/2020 at 6:20 AM, Tom Kirkman said:

New England Journal of Medicine: Scientific Study Reports NO CASES of Coronavirus in Children Under Age 15 in Test Study

The New England Journal of Medicine published a report by Dr. Anthony S. Fauci, M.D., H. Clifford Lane, M.D., and Robert R. Redfield, M.D.

The authors are from the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD (A.S.F., H.C.L.); and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta (R.R.R.).

Dr. Fauci is on President Trump’s committee on coronavirus.

The article was published on Friday, February 28, 2020.

In the article the three experts on contagious disease report that there has been no known cases of Covid-19 in children under the age of 15.

Via Dr. Andrew Bostom.

NIAID Dir Fauci’s welcome sobriety on corona/COVID-19, which “may ultimately be more akin to a severe seasonal influenza (which has a case fatality rate of approximately 0.1%)” [published by the ideologically Left, NEJM, no less!]: https://t.co/lUr6dqDC54 pic.twitter.com/HnUDQX2OST

— Andrew Bostom (@andrewbostom) March 1, 2020

Via the New England Journal of Medicine.

In their Journal article, Li and colleagues3 provide a detailed clinical and epidemiologic description of the first 425 cases reported in the epicenter of the outbreak: the city of Wuhan in Hubei province, China. Although this information is critical in informing the appropriate response to this outbreak, as the authors point out, the study faces the limitation associated with reporting in real time the evolution of an emerging pathogen in its earliest stages. Nonetheless, a degree of clarity is emerging from this report. The median age of the patients was 59 years, with higher morbidity and mortality among the elderly and among those with coexisting conditions (similar to the situation with influenza); 56% of the patients were male. Of note, there were no cases in children younger than 15 years of age. Either children are less likely to become infected, which would have important epidemiologic implications, or their symptoms were so mild that their infection escaped detection, which has implications for the size of the denominator of total community infections…

…If one assumes that the number of asymptomatic or minimally symptomatic cases is several times as high as the number of reported cases, the case fatality rate may be considerably less than 1%. This suggests that the overall clinical consequences of Covid-19 may ultimately be more akin to those of a severe seasonal influenza (which has a case fatality rate of approximately 0.1%) or a pandemic influenza (similar to those in 1957 and 1968) rather than a disease similar to SARS or MERS, which have had case fatality rates of 9 to 10% and 36%, respectively.2  ...

The best data is from South Korea where the testing was extensive and hence most cases were identified quickly. The death toll is about 0.7% in Korea. It will be lower in a more younger country

• Upvote 1

On 3/27/2020 at 2:58 PM, TooSteep said:

Scroll through the 'deaths per million' column here:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

The variability is shocking. Particularly comparing Germany to Italy and Spain, but also France, Switzerland, Netherlands, Belgium.

Obviously, we will need to see how these look over time, but there sure does appear to be dramatic differences in fatality. Are there a critical volume of biometric data scientists looking at this anywhere? How do they tease out the critical mitigating factors?

Switzerland borders Lombardia, so they have lots of cases, but they are also a country that prides themselves on being prepared.  They even have a 6-month supply of coffee if their borders were completely closed.

A week ago some German physicians were saying to not assume they were doing anything too different in Germany. The main, boring reasons given so far are:

1. Germany has not run out of hospital beds or ventilators
  2. Germany has tested a much larger swath, so it includes people who have mild cases
  3. Italy has an older population

So far it seems that countries that don't run out of hospital beds have about a .6% to 1% fatality rate. If that's true, it means that the Germans haven't had the pandemic outstrip their hospital bed supply.  Germany has the misfortune of being in the middle of Europe so they will have a constant trickle of carriers coming into the country.

• Upvote 1

Maybe modern people are too afraid of dying like our ancestors did.  The world had a few decades of advancements that made us feel special.  The human of this possible new age will have to toughen up.  Our expectations of longer life and retirement gone.  Oops that is already the case for 6BIL people so maybe the virus took us back to the third world where we belong.  To be realistic many in the 3rd world will die because for them there is no going further down.  It could be we can take the best of what we learned about common sense health and welfare and triage out the bad habits picked up along the way of affluence.  This requires mature people.

I am a green prepper and part of the prepping is mental.  The things of green prepping are only part of it.  Behavior is more important because of the wisdom of what to give up.  For many people prepping is not an option.  Keeping your head above water in this delocalized word of frayed social arrangement is the immediate issue.  Yet, there is lots of wealth out there too.  There are many people who have the means to change their life towards something more resilient and sustainable but the alternatives were too seductive.  Comfort and enjoyments are very hard to forgo when the alternative is hard work and less things.  This is also true of social organizations so even though people may not be able to change individually because they can’t afford it, they can come together in community and do it. 

We are in a culture that denies death and it feels decoupled from the planet because of technology.  One need only listen to the super rich and outposts on Mars.  How absurd is that?  Maybe we need outposts on earth.  We hopefully can make it through this but there is a price to be paid.  Nuk plants have to be maintained is one that comes to mind.  Doors were opened that are shut tight and locked.  We need to get our shit together real quick like.  In that process we should reflect on the 19th century not as a time of growth and technological capability but the other way of decline and abandonment.  This means pain and death but it does not have to mean we don’t survive.  It means many won’t survive and that is the way humanity used to live until we decided to modernize and shit in our nest in the process. 

In this paradigm shift thrust on us in a matter of months we should be in sober thinking of a common survival or common death.  We should think triage and hybridization.  Some people will die.  People will have to live with less.  Food will have to be grown along with home economics at home not in China.  Some of you might laugh at that but really do you think technology will get us out of the hole we are in now.  Value chains are collapsing all around.  Complexity going into succession.  Economic abandonment, dysfunctional networks and irrational attitudes of a world no longer. 

I have been living a life of one foot in and one foot out and it is not easy out.  It does not make economic sense either.  I am doing permaculture farming and low carbon living but as a way of life not because it is economically smarter.  I still shop on Amazon and go to Lowes.  I did this in a surreal understanding of how fragile it is.  I did it to fortify my little life with best things and practices with the understanding unless my community is also fortified then I just bought a few months of survival.  Going forward now in this paradigm shock there must be a corresponding behavioral change plus a wisdom to know what to keep and what to discard.  Likely this will not work out very nice at the top since it means disenfranchisement that people are no longer able to accept but you as an individual and or your community can.  This is a time of collapsing in place in anticipation of a new world of less.

realgreenadaptation.blog

• Like 1

The sooner you impose a lockdown the more effective the lockdown will be to flatten the curve.

Wuhan lockdown was imposed on 23 January when the number of cases in China reached 830 and the number of deaths was 15

Italy lockdown was imposed on 9 March when the number of cases in Italy reached 9172 and the number of deaths was 463

Today in the State of New York the number of cases reached 53'455 and the total deaths count is at 883 but Trump is still twitting  “A quarantine will not be necessary,” . https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-health-coronavirus-usa/trump-drops-idea-of-new-york-lockdown-as-us-death-count-crosses-2000-idUKKBN21F0G6

Based on these numbers (from Worldometer website) I'm afraid the situation in NY will soon be worse than in Italy.

• Upvote 1

(edited)

”Today in the State of New York the number of cases reached 53'455 and the total deaths count is at 883 but Trump is still twitting  “A quarantine will not be necessary,””

Okay, who’s job is it to initiate a lockdown, Governor Cuomo or President Trump? What is Governor Cuomo’s response to a quarantine of New York City?

Guillaume, why do you insist on blaming Trump for other’s idiocy?

Furthermore, earlier I asked you if you were an American citizen and if you presently reside in the US? If the answer to these questions is ‘No’, I am curious as to why you spend so much effort castigating Trump?

Edited by Douglas Buckland
Typo

What's even more shocking is that Trump has been delaying and reducing shipments of ventilators to states run by Democratic governors (Michigan and Washington State) where they are desperate. (Trump made clear the governors of New York (Cuomo), New Jersey (Murphy), and California (Newsom) are sufficiently appreciative that he's willing to call them or have the Coronavirus Task Force head call them.)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stephaniesarkis/2020/03/28/trumps-narcissistic-punishment-of-withholding-michigan-aid/#45f10ff05157

Maine has received about 5% of the protective gear it sought, Massachusetts 17%, and Colorado received enough for one day of hospital operation.  Meanwhile Florida got twice as much as it asked for.image.png.5c1f248300e65c259d0c8aa528eed2b2.png

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/desperate-for-medical-equipment-states-encounter-a-beleaguered-national-stockpile/2020/03/28/1f4f9a0a-6f82-11ea-aa80-c2470c6b2034_story.html

Trump is using this to reward his sycophants and kill people in states that don't cozy up to him.

Meanwhile, in the UK, the government refused to place an order with the EU for ventilators and has instead decided to do so with the US. Given how far behind the UK and US are in testing and the severe lack of ventilators in both places I can't see this ending well.

• Upvote 1

The TDS virus is spreading uncontrollably. 

TDS side effects include hallucinations and paranoia.

Social distancing may help slow down the spread of TDS virus.  If someone is ranting, back away slowly, and avoid contact.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tom Kirkman said:

The TDS virus is spreading uncontrollably. 

TDS side effects include hallucinations and paranoia.

Social distancing may help slow down the spread of TDS virus.  If someone is ranting, back away slowly, and avoid contact.

Do you have something to add to the conversation or are you just going to mock people for pointing out that Trump has completely vacated his responsibilities?