Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FM

DNA Robots Target Cancer

DNA nanorobots that travel the bloodstream, find tumors, and dispense a protein that causes blood clotting trigger the death of cancer cells in mice, according to a study published ten days ago! The international team of researchers started with the goal of finding a path to design nanorobots that can be applied to treatment of cancer in humans.

Sometimes reality seemsĀ like a movie.

(edited)

We have multiple robots exploring Mars. We have dog - robots opening the door. We are mastering precision editing of our DNA with CRISPR. But we still have to "eject" hard drives before disconnecting them:)

Edited by Pavel

Who's doing the testing of these in mice?

5 hours ago, franco said:

DNA nanorobots that travel the bloodstream, find tumors, and dispense a protein that causes blood clotting trigger the death of cancer cells in mice, according to a study published ten days ago! The international team of researchers started with the goal of finding a path to design nanorobots that can be applied to treatment of cancer in humans.

Ā 

Itā€™s a long way away but promising.

Yup. The potential for this sort of model is quite awesome.

Is there any data on how many cancers could be avoided by lifestyle changes? Just wondering if the money spent on nanorobots could be better spent on promoting healthier lifestyles in a way that has an immediate impact.

There is no doubt that nanotechnology is the future.Ā 

Hope the pharmaceutical-industrial complex doesn't eliminate this breakthrough. Conflict of interest.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, damirUSBiH said:

Hope the pharmaceutical-industrial complex doesn't eliminate this breakthrough. Conflict of interest.

Definitely - there will be conflict. Guaranteed.Ā 

11 minutes ago, CMOP said:

Definitely - there will be conflict. Guaranteed.Ā 

Right--there is not much profit in a cure--only in treatment.

I'm sure everything in their power will be done to stymie an actual cure for cancer, which probably could have existed ages ago.Ā 

I guess I'm not sure that it's a conscious effort to quash a cure--I think probably more likely is just that there is not the same profit incentive in cures than there is in treatments. I think people are working towards this end, but I think Big Pharma is really focusing more on treatments.