MK

Poland closes all schools and kindergartens for 2 weeks. Children are the most efficient, stealth spreaders of coronavirus.

55 minutes ago, Rob Plant said:

In the UK there has been no toilet paper, hand sanitizing gel or soap for weeks.

Panic buying is the new norm apparently.

The media have a lot to answer for!

A guy at work has even bought a second freezer to store all of his extra food he has stockpiled!!!

The world has gone crazy.

Given that the uk government's response has been "do nothing and hope it hits in the summer months" is being interpreted as "every man for himself", I understand the panic buying. 

The government is once again hiding all the information they're using to make decisions and saying everything is based on science. Actually, everything is based on a spreadsheet model that has never been tested.

Your remark about weeding out the sick and infirm was mirrored in the Telegraph on Monday, talking about the economic benefit of "culling" people. Given the Telegraph is Johnson's biggest booster ...

• Upvote 1
  • Rolling Eye 2

The latest government reactions to Covid-19

The English are feeling the pinch in relation to recent virus threat and have therefore raised their threat level from “Miffed” to “Peeved.” Soon, though, level may be raised yet again to “Irritated” or even “A Bit Cross.”

The English have not been “A Bit Cross” since the blitz in 1940 when tea supplies nearly ran out.

The virus has been re-categorized from “Tiresome” to “A Bloody Nuisance.” The last time the British issued a “Bloody Nuisance” warning level was in 1588, when threatened by the Spanish Armada.

The Scots have raised their threat level from “Pissed Off” to “Let's Get the Bastard.” They don't have any other levels. This is the reason they have been used on the front line of the British army for the last 300 years.

The French government announced yesterday that it has raised its alert level from “Run” to “Hide.” The only two higher levels in France are “Collaborate” and “Surrender.” The rise was precipitated by a recent fire that destroyed France's white flag factory, effectively paralyzing the country's military capability.

Italy has increased the alert level from “Shout Loudly and Excitedly” to “Elaborate Military Posturing.” Two more levels remain: “Ineffective Combat Operations” and “Change Sides.”

The Germans have increased their alert state from “Disdainful Arrogance” to “Dress in Uniform and Sing Marching Songs.” They also have two higher levels: “Invade a Neighbour” and “Lose.”

Belgians, on the other hand, are all on holiday as usual; the only threat they are worried about is NATO pulling out of Brussels.

The Spanish are all excited to see their new submarines ready to deploy. These beautifully designed subs have glass bottoms so the new Spanish navy can get a really good look at the old Spanish navy.

Australia, meanwhile, has raised its alert level from “No worries” to “She'll be alright, Mate.” Two more escalation levels remain: “Crikey! I think we'll need to cancel the barbie this weekend!” and “The barbie is cancelled.” So far, no situation has ever warranted use of the final escalation level.

The Russians have said “Its not us”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

I want to respond more fully to the previous post suggesting that the Obama administration did worse during the Swine Flu epidemic of 2009. It's typical of Fox News to divert attention from Trump's ineptitude by saying "but Hillary" or "but Obama" while lying about their record. 

So here is the timeline:

• H1N1 was first diagnosed in US April 15, 2009.
  • CDC activated emergency operations April 22.
  • 1 million tests released by May 15.
  • Prototype vaccine completed by end August 2009.

David Frum: " H1N1 was less severe than coronavirus. But unlike coronavirus, it was managed competently and responsibly. If Biden had been in charge, he'd deserve credit. I imagine he'd insist on passing that credit to the professionals. But at least he did not sabotage them."

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/2009-h1n1-pandemic.html

It took 1 month to get 1 million tests out in 2009. In South Korea it took from 16 Jan to 5 Feb to get test kits out for COVID19.

Today, more than two months later, fewer than 10,000 people have been tested in the US. Why? Maybe it's just incompetence, but this is an administration that only focuses on message and actively ignores experts.

Pandemic response can't be pushed to the state level. Some US states are getting 50 test kits/day. Who knows how the Utah Jazz managed to get 56 tests done.  Obviously money talks.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Geoff Guenther said:

I want to respond more fully to the previous post suggesting that the Obama administration did worse during the Swine Flu epidemic of 2009. It's typical of Fox News to divert attention from Trump's ineptitude by saying "but Hillary" or "but Obama" while lying about their record. 

So here is the timeline:

• H1N1 was first diagnosed in US April 15, 2009.
  • CDC activated emergency operations April 22.
  • 1 million tests released by May 15.
  • Prototype vaccine completed by end August 2009.

David Frum: " H1N1 was less severe than coronavirus. But unlike coronavirus, it was managed competently and responsibly. If Biden had been in charge, he'd deserve credit. I imagine he'd insist on passing that credit to the professionals. But at least he did not sabotage them."

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/2009-h1n1-pandemic.html

It took 1 month to get 1 million tests out in 2009. In South Korea it took from 16 Jan to 5 Feb to get test kits out for COVID19.

Today, more than two months later, fewer than 10,000 people have been tested in the US. Why? Maybe it's just incompetence, but this is an administration that only focuses on message and actively ignores experts.

Pandemic response can't be pushed to the state level. Some US states are getting 50 test kits/day. Who knows how the Utah Jazz managed to get 56 tests done.  Obviously money talks.

Okay, so let’s take a look at the data we DO have. It shows that the corona virus is less deadly than the annual influenza bug...time to listen to the talking heads and others who have no idea what they are talking about, freak out, and go on a hoarding spree!

(edited)

41 minutes ago, Douglas Buckland said:

Okay, so let’s take a look at the data we DO have. It shows that the corona virus is less deadly than the annual influenza bug...time to listen to the talking heads and others who have no idea what they are talking about, freak out, and go on a hoarding spree!

I admire your expertise. Can you point me to any non-made-up data that shows it being less deadly?

And while we're at it, China is now sending aid to the US.

image.thumb.png.2f2f4b06770be9312cfcb979f9845996.png

Edited by Geoff Guenther
  • Great Response! 1

You simply have to compare the number of deaths attributed to influenze annually, by country or globally, to the fatalities attributed to the corona virus to this point.

20 minutes ago, Geoff Guenther said:

I admire your expertise. Can you point me to any non-made-up data that shows it being less deadly?

And while we're at it, China is now sending aid to the US.

image.thumb.png.2f2f4b06770be9312cfcb979f9845996.png

That is not China, that is Jack Ma...significantly different donor.

I am curious, what is the World Health Organization suggesting be done to combat this corona virus? You would think they, not country specific organizations such as the US CDC, would be taking the lead and doing something other than declaring a ‘pandemic’.

Is the WHO just another toothless, useless international organization?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Douglas Buckland said:

And your source for saying COVID19 is no big deal?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Geoff Guenther said:

And your source for saying COVID19 is no big deal?

Look at the mumbers Geoff! We don’t run around screaming the sky is falling every flu season although the flu, TB and measles kill more annually than the corona virus has so far!

OK, the numbers in Italy show that 4% of infected people die. Expectations are that 40%-60% of people will get infected.

Using available numbers that would be 330 million * 4% * 40% = 5.28 million dead in America.

Are those the numbers you're referring to?

• Upvote 1

Okay, genius. How many of the 330 million Americans are in the ‘high risk’ category...just for starters?

Of the American fatalities, so far, what percentage were associated with that single old folks home?

What is the percentage of ‘false positives’ being recorded?

Hey, if you want to adopt a ‘victim mentality’ from the raw, actual data (not forecasts) available, by all means do so!

1 hour ago, Douglas Buckland said:

Look at the mumbers Geoff!

You asked me to look at the numbers, refused to show any numbers, and are now upset that I provided some numbers. How about you provide some to back up your opinion?

Viruses grow exponentially. This one is doubling every 3-6 days so any delay means many more sick and dead people. The difference between prepared and unprepared countries is:

• Iran: 4.4% fatality rate
  • Hubei: 4.8%
  • Rest of China: 0.8%
  • Italy 3.6%
  • South Korea 0.5%

South Korea and China, outside of Hubei, are how governments should prepare. Keep your hospitals from being overwhelmed and this looks more like the flu. Do nothing like the US and UK are doing will be a catastrophe.

• Upvote 3

And you didn’t bother to address any of the questions I posed to you. If I would have provided numbers you would simply question the source, which is why my response was in the form of questions. You could choose your own sources to provide the answers.

At the end of the day, you are an alarmist, and I am not.

Let’s just agree to disagree.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Douglas Buckland said:

Jack Ma is a card carrying communist!

13 minutes ago, Hotone said:

Jack Ma is a card carrying communist!

...and your point is?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Douglas Buckland said:

Would have been interesting to know where the guy picked up the flu/virus. 

Interesting that they had the peoper test kit on that platform....

He'd been to Austria apparently

• Like 1

Good news! Justin Trudeau's in isolation 😂🤣

2 minutes ago, El Nikko said:

Good news! Justin Trudeau's in isolation 😂🤣

Hopefully he will remain there!

• Haha 2

'Herd immunity' 🙄

photo_2020-03-13_18-42-58.jpg

• Upvote 2

Herd immunity is just another way of saying "every man for himself". Johnson must really be trying to kill people.

Happily, someone seems to have convinced the Donald that this is actually a crisis, so things are looking up somewhat.

A CDC presentation has also leaked (remember, these meetings were classified so no one outside the administration could know), showing that 2.4 to 21 million Americans could require hospitalisation, and 200,000 to 1.7 million could die if steps aren't taken. Happily steps are now being taken, so here's hoping.  https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/13/us/coronavirus-deaths-estimate.html

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Marcin2 said:

In Poland since the start of thus week, for 5 days, there is a huge buying frenzy, I have not seen anything like this my whole life.

There is still milk and toilet paper, but there is difficulty in getting meat, eggs, canned food, pasta, rice.

Some official German State guidelines relating to hoarding in disasters were leaked in Poland, and people want to have 10-30 days of everything in the storage and freezers.

I am not a hoarder but had to adjust to herd mentality and also hoard food and sanitation for 2-3 weeks.

Same here, but we generally buy in bulk so most stuff in the house is overstocked, usually for 2 weeks worth, some items for a month or two. Others are sitting for a year in the deep freeze or pantry cabinet. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, El Nikko said:

'Herd immunity' 🙄

photo_2020-03-13_18-42-58.jpg

Vaccines are a much less dangerous way to get there. This approach of letting the virus spread will kill too many older and sick folks. Perhaps better for the NHS long term costs, but is not socially acceptable. 

• Upvote 1