ronwagn

Why Trump Is Right to Re-Open the Economy

4 hours ago, Douglas Buckland said:

You gotta problem with Jackson Pollock’s work?

No I like his work the abstract expressionist style would be a perfect way for you to paint your home, no cutting in to do etc, rig painters are fond of the abstract, I've seen many pieces onboard that make PJP look like a graphic artist. I was always told that I was not painting my mothers front door while painting offshore, just get it on with it. No cleaning or priming just paint, great training for what was ahead.

19 minutes ago, James Regan said:

No I like his work the abstract expressionist style would be a perfect way for you to paint your home, no cutting in to do etc, rig painters are fond of the abstract, I've seen many pieces onboard that make PJP look like a graphic artist. I was always told that I was not painting my mothers front door while painting offshore, just get it on with it. No cleaning or priming just paint, great training for what was ahead.

On many of the old rigs, the roustabouts had painted everything over and over so many times that I think paint was the only thing holding the rig together!

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

(edited)

4 minutes ago, Douglas Buckland said:

On many of the old rigs, the roustabouts had painted everything over and over so many times that I think paint was the only thing holding the rig together!

If you break off a decent chunk of any such piece of equipment or structure and clean it up, and lap the edges you can make some very nice Jewellery, layers of different coloured paint come out quite nice - Rig Art a new genre

Lapping you would go to jail now for muttering the word, god forbid we actually fix something- just go to the store and get a new one.....

Edited by James Regan

1 minute ago, James Regan said:

If you break off a decent chunk of any such piece of equipment or structure and clean it up, and lap the edges you can make some very nice Jewellery, layers of different coloured paint come out quite nice - Rig Art a new genre

How many times did you see one toolpusher get the rig painted up just before his days off, then the new pusher come on and decide he doesn’t like the color scheme and has it painted to suit him!

It was humorous if you weren’t a roustabout!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Douglas Buckland said:

How many times did you see one toolpusher get the rig painted up just before his days off, then the new pusher come on and decide he doesn’t like the color scheme and has it painted to suit him!

It was humorous if you weren’t a roustabout!

Offshore, if it doesn't move, it gets slathered in paint.  Repeatedly.  No such thing as DFT standards there (Dry Film Thickness).  More paint is best paint.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tom Kirkman said:

Offshore, if it doesn't move, it gets slathered in paint.  Repeatedly.  No such thing as DFT standards there (Dry Film Thickness).  More paint is best paint.

It is an engineering mantra, ‘if some is good, more is better!’

Specifically if you are calculating the amount of explosives to blow something up, or the amount of ‘fat’ to put into your well cost.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

pAXGq8G2.thumb.jpeg.279fd5b2545433e9453c4b4971583614.jpeg

Screenshot_20200404-092939_Brave.jpg.6904415fa5880b8e524f6a2a76256088.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, Douglas Buckland said:

It is an engineering mantra, ‘if some is good, more is better!’

Specifically if you are calculating the amount of explosives to blow something up, or the amount of ‘fat’ to put into your well cost.

That why science labs always waste money.

Never leave any of your budget unspent or you will lose funding. Buy ten years worth of pipette tips and Kimwipes if you have too.

(edited)

4 hours ago, Tom Kirkman said:

Screenshot_20200404-092939_Brave.jpg.6904415fa5880b8e524f6a2a76256088.jpg

Trump has a "great" idea - people praise it

Trump changes his mind - everyone loves his new leadership

Plague and economic collapse - "Have you seen my ratings?"

Of course that is Obama's fault for not stockpiling ventilators (look above).  Nope can't make a ventilator in 3 years - impossible...

Edited by Enthalpic
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, WayneMechEng said:

President Trump is doing a good job, considering past administrations had not built up stockpiles for pandemics. 

14 hours ago, PE Scott said:

I also admit theres a good chance President Trump will get ahead of this and at some point speak to an optimistic plan that ends up being completely unrealistic. He's certainly done this kind of thing before, but it's hard to fault him for being optimistic. I *think* he's one of those guys that hopes for the best but plans for the worse. I assume the top tiers of government are all mostly onboard with this strategy regardless of political affiliation.

There are times when preventing panic with a little information suppression is warranted. 

Outright misinformation or a "pocket full of posies" so you can't smell the dead is BS.

I think he tweets dumb stuff and then later gets educated by advisors. In the end he rarely follows through with any of the stupid tweets.

Death rate in italy, Spain and UK is between 10-12%

Figured I'd drop that here. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 4/4/2020 at 12:55 AM, Tom Kirkman said:

Actually this isn't quite true anymore in the age of 2 part urea based paint/plastic coatings(started last 2 decades).  But requires specialized rig to heat the 2 parts and spray.  Sticks just as good as 2 part Urethane to rust/steel.  Cost, if you subtract the cost of the heat wand/mixer, is same as that of laytex. 

But yes, anything salt marine... ug.  Not even stainless steel survives.  Pure nickel, gold, Niobium, ceramics, or bust.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, J.mo said:

Absolutely Wrong.

The CFR is 10-12% you can only make a guess at the real mortality rate until everyone is tested, not just the critically ill.

15 hours ago, J.mo said:

Because of the lack of solutions for childcare during the partial lockdown got folks to send their kids to the grandparents, Thereby mating the most infected population to the most at risk population.  In the UK it was interpreted as holiday time and found throngs of folks at the beaches.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Enthalpic said:

That why science labs always waste money.

Never leave any of your budget unspent or you will lose funding. Buy ten years worth of pipette tips and Kimwipes if you have too.

Don’t know about science labs, but when developing a well cost for an EXPLORATION well you are dealing with offset well data which may, or may not, be applicable and you are making assumptions on rate of penetration, trip times, casing running times, etc.. As an engineer you are trained to think in the worst case scenario, but if you apply this reasoning when developing the cost of your well for approval...you’d never get a well approved!

It is prudent to assume that your calcs are a certain percent in error and never assume ideal performance.

This is where experience counts.

• Like 1

“Did Bill Gates Just Reveal The Real Reason Behind The Lock-Downs?”

https://tinyurl.com/yx79gxzb     off-guardian

“But, in fact, most people even who get the COVID disease are able to survive. So in that, it’s quite infectious – way more infectious than MERS [Middle East Respiratory Syndrome] or SARS [Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome] were. [But] it’s not as fatal as they were. And yet the disruption we’re seeing in order to knock it down is really completely unprecedented.”… “It is really tragic that the economic effects of this are very dramatic. I mean, nothing like this has ever happened to the economy in our lifetimes. But … bringing the economy back and doing [sic] money, that’s more of a reversible thing than bringing people back to life. So we’re going to take the pain in the economic dimension, huge pain, in order to minimize the pain in disease and death dimension.”… Kevin Ryan wrote in the article. Ryan estimated that well over two million people will likely die from the sequelae of the lock-downs and other drastic measures to enforce ‘social distancing.’  Millions could potentially die from suicide, drug abuse, lack of medical coverage or treatment, poverty and lack of food access, on top of other predictable social, medical and public-health problems stemming from the response to COVID-19.  Gates and Anderson did not touch on any of those sequelae. Instead, they focused on rapidly ramping up testing and medical interventions for COVID-19... Dr. Williams is among the large cadre of powerful officials who’ve crashed the global economy by forcing tens of millions of small- and medium-sized businesses to close in the name of the need for forced, severe, social distancing and lock-downs.  They’ve shattered society, suspended most civil liberties and prohibited most activities and connections that kept people mentally and physically healthy. At the same time the officials have prioritized COVID-19 care over everything else and, as a result, severely limited billions of people’s access to life-saving healthcare services ranging from acquiring medication and blood transfusions to having organ transplants and cancer surgeries.”

It is obvious the virus response has been too much.  Leaders were forced into it by medical people, scientist and the whining liberals.  The reality is it is far easier to do lock downs and feel good than to realize how much economic destruction this is causing and the deaths caused longer term.  People today are afraid of death and leaders don’t want blood on their hands.  Nobody will see clearly the blood down the road that quietly happens from economic decline like body bags and incinerators.  So many new deadly situations have been caused that will unfold over moths and years. 

Yet, another way to look at this over and above either side of the too much or too little response dichotomy is systematically we needed this event as a cleansing and a reset to a lower level of economic activity.  The uncomfortable other discussion is about the riding the world of end of life-ers who are going to die at great cost anyway.   This is a necessary part of the discussion because a world in decline is also a world of consequences and bad choices.  Can we as a global civilization afford to keep people alive in hospitals and nursing homes like we do?  I doubt this can go on much longer being at limits. 

This all points to the limits humans have been bumping up against with the planet but also the human constructed ecosystem of its society.  The economic system has morphed into one big Ponzi scheme of bubble economics.  Keep asset values high so you have wealth effects to drive activity and consumption.  You allow profitable yields to enhance global value chains not in the name of public good but instead in the name of the private greed of shareholders and the massively rich.  I am not going to draw judgment on this other than to say it does not add up when looked at through the reality of what the planet and human arrangements can support longer term. 

What is needed is a nice big step down to a poorer world of more hard work.  Less time to play the stupid rich liberal identity politics of should trannies get sex changes.  The same is true with the rich bible thumping conservatives’ and their unrealities.  Today’s populations have been dumbed down and made fat and lazy in the name of a fake affluence.  The techno optimist have won the day by making technology the new god of a society that is supposed to safety net everything. 

What will be forced upon humans now is smaller footprints like a wolf whose primary food source just collapsed.  That is nature’s consequences.  People will have to work harder and have less comforts.  Gone will be the massively digital rich able to swim around the world in hours on private jets.  The dopamine hits will not be there like they used to be.  Cheap Asian products will go away and good ridence because this just clutters up life.  We are now getting closer to a something that resembles a sustainable and resilient world by necessity and default. 

Much more dropping is needed both with consumption and population.  The 3rd world has a population issue to deal with now.  Without growth their populations will be unsustainable.  This virus may only kill a few people in its direct effects but the indirect effects is a huge global loss of population coming down the road of ruin and poor investments of time and money from a way of life that was not reality tested.  It was instead tested for profit, greed, and sloth.  OH, yes, I have partaken in it but I also reflected in a surreal way about how unreal it really is if you embrace honest science and history.

• Rolling Eye 1

“We Need to Talk About Catastrophic Global Risk”

https://tinyurl.com/wpxv92r     Geneva global initiative

“The systems which underpin our lives are increasingly brittle and face growing array of intensifying pressures, we must prepare.”

6 hours ago, REAL Green said:

“Did Bill Gates Just Reveal The Real Reason Behind The Lock-Downs?”

https://tinyurl.com/yx79gxzb     off-guardian

“But, in fact, most people even who get the COVID disease are able to survive. So in that, it’s quite infectious – way more infectious than MERS [Middle East Respiratory Syndrome] or SARS [Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome] were. [But] it’s not as fatal as they were. And yet the disruption we’re seeing in order to knock it down is really completely unprecedented.”… “It is really tragic that the economic effects of this are very dramatic. I mean, nothing like this has ever happened to the economy in our lifetimes. But … bringing the economy back and doing [sic] money, that’s more of a reversible thing than bringing people back to life. So we’re going to take the pain in the economic dimension, huge pain, in order to minimize the pain in disease and death dimension.”… Kevin Ryan wrote in the article. Ryan estimated that well over two million people will likely die from the sequelae of the lock-downs and other drastic measures to enforce ‘social distancing.’  Millions could potentially die from suicide, drug abuse, lack of medical coverage or treatment, poverty and lack of food access, on top of other predictable social, medical and public-health problems stemming from the response to COVID-19.  Gates and Anderson did not touch on any of those sequelae. Instead, they focused on rapidly ramping up testing and medical interventions for COVID-19... Dr. Williams is among the large cadre of powerful officials who’ve crashed the global economy by forcing tens of millions of small- and medium-sized businesses to close in the name of the need for forced, severe, social distancing and lock-downs.  They’ve shattered society, suspended most civil liberties and prohibited most activities and connections that kept people mentally and physically healthy. At the same time the officials have prioritized COVID-19 care over everything else and, as a result, severely limited billions of people’s access to life-saving healthcare services ranging from acquiring medication and blood transfusions to having organ transplants and cancer surgeries.”

It is obvious the virus response has been too much.  Leaders were forced into it by medical people, scientist and the whining liberals.  The reality is it is far easier to do lock downs and feel good than to realize how much economic destruction this is causing and the deaths caused longer term.  People today are afraid of death and leaders don’t want blood on their hands.  Nobody will see clearly the blood down the road that quietly happens from economic decline like body bags and incinerators.  So many new deadly situations have been caused that will unfold over moths and years. 

Yet, another way to look at this over and above either side of the too much or too little response dichotomy is systematically we needed this event as a cleansing and a reset to a lower level of economic activity.  The uncomfortable other discussion is about the riding the world of end of life-ers who are going to die at great cost anyway.   This is a necessary part of the discussion because a world in decline is also a world of consequences and bad choices.  Can we as a global civilization afford to keep people alive in hospitals and nursing homes like we do?  I doubt this can go on much longer being at limits. 

This all points to the limits humans have been bumping up against with the planet but also the human constructed ecosystem of its society.  The economic system has morphed into one big Ponzi scheme of bubble economics.  Keep asset values high so you have wealth effects to drive activity and consumption.  You allow profitable yields to enhance global value chains not in the name of public good but instead in the name of the private greed of shareholders and the massively rich.  I am not going to draw judgment on this other than to say it does not add up when looked at through the reality of what the planet and human arrangements can support longer term. 

What is needed is a nice big step down to a poorer world of more hard work.  Less time to play the stupid rich liberal identity politics of should trannies get sex changes.  The same is true with the rich bible thumping conservatives’ and their unrealities.  Today’s populations have been dumbed down and made fat and lazy in the name of a fake affluence.  The techno optimist have won the day by making technology the new god of a society that is supposed to safety net everything. 

What will be forced upon humans now is smaller footprints like a wolf whose primary food source just collapsed.  That is nature’s consequences.  People will have to work harder and have less comforts.  Gone will be the massively digital rich able to swim around the world in hours on private jets.  The dopamine hits will not be there like they used to be.  Cheap Asian products will go away and good ridence because this just clutters up life.  We are now getting closer to a something that resembles a sustainable and resilient world by necessity and default. 

Much more dropping is needed both with consumption and population.  The 3rd world has a population issue to deal with now.  Without growth their populations will be unsustainable.  This virus may only kill a few people in its direct effects but the indirect effects is a huge global loss of population coming down the road of ruin and poor investments of time and money from a way of life that was not reality tested.  It was instead tested for profit, greed, and sloth.  OH, yes, I have partaken in it but I also reflected in a surreal way about how unreal it really is if you embrace honest science and history.

I can't believe that you agree with Bill Gates. He is on the Malthusian bandwagon calling for the end of prosperity at the precise point where we are on the verge of practically free energy. Like his predecessors, he intends to force people to fork over money and allow his toadies at the government agencies to control you. His goal of avoiding mass immunity is that of a genocidal psychopath. And an avaricious one at that, as his foundation will benefit greatly from a vaccine it may have sponsored. 

• Like 2
  • Rolling Eye 2

3 hours ago, 0R0 said:

I can't believe that you agree with Bill Gates." He is on the Malthusian bandwagon calling for the end of prosperity at the precise point where we are on the verge of practically free energy. Like his predecessors, he intends to force people to fork over money and allow his toadies at the government agencies to control you. His goal of avoiding mass immunity is that of a genocidal psychopath. And an avaricious one at that, as his foundation will benefit greatly from a vaccine it may have sponsored. 

I don't agree with Bill Gates that is my point.  Many more people are going to die longer term because of the shut down than the virus.  There has to be a balance.  Anyone talking "free energy" needs to get back to studying real science not fantasy science.  My point is this virus will be a good thing in one regard and that is resetting society on a firmer footing clearing away all those lousy behaviors we have become habituated to because we have had too many free lunches that really aren't free.  This economic shock will restore sanity to many who live in a fantasy world.  Maybe real price discovery will return.  Maybe people will realize how dangerous a world we live in instead of the blind view of the techno-optimist that energy is free and tech will cure all our ills.  The reality is we are carbon trapped with path dependencies which means we best get to leaning how to mitigate the trap and adapt to a world of less.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

On 3/24/2020 at 10:36 PM, Daniel Ryslink said:

Trump is basing his decisions on anti-scientific wishful thinking of his crony oligarch friends, of course their profits are vanishing, so it's back to work for the american slave citizen. How easier it all was for these plutocrats before damned Lincoln came around, right?

Meanwhile, WHO warns that USA has the potential to become the new epicenter of the pandemic, with New York showing signs of unmitigated exponential growth of cases among the inhabitants. Trump is on a good course to make this a trainwreck of epic proportions, unfortunately, and as always (remember 2008), those responsible for the crisis won't be those who will suffer the most - those will be the common citizens dying from treatable causes like heart attacks, other infections, strokes, etc. because the healthcare system will be overwhelmed and there will be nobody to treat them. The super rich, of course, won't be waiting in any queue. 

Wow!  I don't know where to start.  Really no facts to back up the statements.  Lot's of inflammatory words.  Recommend that folks watch Governor Cuomo's (NY) and President Trump's daily briefings.  Record on your PVR if you lucky to still be working.   Listen directly on Fox News without CNN editing important context.  I believe folks can then reflect on ways to improve policies.

• Like 3

(edited)

10 hours ago, REAL Green said:

"this virus will be a good thing in one regard and that is resetting society on a firmer footing clearing away all those lousy behaviors we have become habituated to because we have had too many free lunches that really aren't free.  This economic shock will restore sanity to many who live in a fantasy world.  Maybe real price discovery will return.  Maybe people will realize how dangerous a world we live in instead of the blind view of the techno-optimist that energy is free and tech will cure all our ills.  The reality is we are carbon trapped with path dependencies which means we best get to leaning how to mitigate the trap and adapt to a world of less."

You are delusional at this point. This whole Coronavirus politization is gonna cause THE CONTRARY of that... people are going insane because of this long term reclusion and segreggation of social distancing. Others are going crazy because they just got on the rails to success and this happened. Many people are going down to the most criminal places of society to dominate the streets just because if they don't they won't become a millionaire like they were going to just because of this Coronavirus PANIC (the black market was also affected and the change of power there isn't very diplomatic if you know...). This is causing more chaos than anything else... people are gonna be worse after this... NOT BETTER!! You can be SURE that more people are buying guns either to protect themselves or to commit various types of crimes... organized or not.
A lot more robbbery is happening now than it should!!! The commerce is not liking this a bit!!

Edited by Alexia Carrera
  • Like 2

On 4/3/2020 at 2:28 PM, Tom Kirkman said:

American slang

Fixed it for you

(Didn't want to get Rob Plant upset)

Damned right Tom!!

On 4/3/2020 at 2:36 PM, James Regan said:

Rob ha- hes no lightweight............😂

You calling me fat James?🤣

• Haha 1