ronwagn

Why Trump Is Right to Re-Open the Economy

4 minutes ago, Jay McKinsey said:

That is incorrect. In 2013 the rule was changed and only a simple majority is required for cloture on all nominations except SCOTUS. Very few Trump nominees have been rejected or withdrawn, it requires Republican help. 

Most of the nominating and confirmation effort has been directed at the judiciary, from whitehouse.gov:

HISTORIC RESTORATION OF THE JUDICIARY: President Trump is transforming our judiciary – appointing a historic number of Federal judges who will interpret the Constitution as written.

Working with the Senate, President Trump has now had 158 judicial nominees confirmed to the Federal bench – a historic transformation of the judiciary.

President Trump has nominated and had confirmed, two Supreme Court justices, 44 Circuit Court judges, and 112 District Court judges.

President Trump has appointed more circuit judges by this point in his presidency than any president in recent history.

Approximately 1 out of every 4 active judges on United States Courts of Appeals has been appointed by President Trump.

This historic transformation is only accelerating, with President Trump on pace to have more judges confirmed this year than in 2017 and 2018 combined.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/president-donald-j-trump-appointing-historic-number-federal-judges-uphold-constitution-written/

Thanks for that, @Jay McKinsey.  I thought that was the case.

6 hours ago, Yoshiro Kamamura said:

It's basically precisely that, a cult. Psychology has documented how cultists switch off rational thinking when talking about the matters of the cult and their leader, so it's a waste of time to confront them with facts. Trump lies literally every day, and they do not mind one bit. Every new wild shot he fires, they mindlessly parrot it after him, like zombies. Trump has little to lose - Hydrochloroquine, a miraculous cure? Why not, if it is by some wild chance effective, Trump will present it as a success, painting himself a savior of the people. If it's not effective, he will say he wanted give people hope. If it kills some people, he will say they would die anyway. As a bonus, he shares a nice bag of money with his friends from Bayer. There is no scientific basis, recommending it is irresponsible? Trump does not care. They know whatever he says, it will be like a god given commandment to his cult, since they never doubt him (that's an important characteristic of a cult - lack of doubt). 

Robert de Niro said about him correctly that he is a "fraud that does not do his homeworks." He is ignorant about most topics he talks about - one day, the virus is "just a flu", another day, it's "under control", the next day "it will just go away", but he does not care one bit. That way, he saves a lot of energy, because normally, people are usually compiling data, looking for arguments, using logic to prove or refute them, but he does nothing like that - he just throws around random statements, probably depending on his mood. He does not care about facts, his cultists do not care about facts, and he nor his cultists care about other people - so they let them speak, and they again say what they said before. Unfortunately, it's also the end of the age of reason, democracy and civilized society, because it's the end of rational discussion and looking for consensus in public matters. 

Basically, it's nothing new - cults operated like that for ages, it's the same mechanism:

You and frankfurter should have a group hug...

• Haha 1

It seems clear to me that Bill Gates and Democrat crony friends including Fauxi will do anything and everything to get Trump out of office this year, even if means destroying the economy and causing the suffering of billions of people around the world. The supposed solution to the problem will turn out much worse than the virus.

For a little history on Bill Gates, the WHO and Big Pharma there is a good research paper here.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/281876323_Why_the_Corruption_of_the_World_Health_Organization_WHO_is_the_Biggest_Threat_to_the_World's_Public_Health_of_Our_Time

4 hours ago, Radha said:

It seems clear to me that Bill Gates and Democrat crony friends including Fauxi will do anything and everything to get Trump out of office this year, even if means destroying the economy and causing the suffering of billions of people around the world. The supposed solution to the problem will turn out much worse than the virus.

For a little history on Bill Gates, the WHO and Big Pharma there is a good research paper here.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/281876323_Why_the_Corruption_of_the_World_Health_Organization_WHO_is_the_Biggest_Threat_to_the_World's_Public_Health_of_Our_Time

Click bait.

@Tom Kirkman

5 hours ago, Douglas Buckland said:

You and frankfurter should have a group hug...

That would qualify as auto eroticism

8 hours ago, 0R0 said:

Yes, that is the idea. The hurdle is that my estimates are rough and need actual field data from tests to be worked out.

It doesn't matter if they are 40-80% if the others are a percent or a few. I'm dumbfounded why you're not interested presenting your analysis to Kinsa who is publicly giving the opposite message than you using the same data, 

5 hours ago, Radha said:

It's interesting that at the same time the conspiracy theory group in this thread bashes Chinese Communist Party, but then cites a Chinese published journal as a proof of corruption in the West. Conspiracy of the conspiracy. 

12 hours ago, Yoshiro Kamamura said:

Robert de Niro said about him correctly that he is a "fraud that does not do his homeworks.

That's a very good description. Normal frauds a) try their best to hide their lies and b) when they are caught with a lie, try the normal politician trick, which is talking a lot but not on the topic. Mike Pence's answer to the question if the US government was going to help the uninsured was a perfect example of the second. He didn't want to say the fact, which was that the US government was not going to lift a finger to help these people. Trump thought that was a bad answer. Trump's answers are more like "everyone is going to get tested" or "insurance companies promised no copayments on covid treatments" regardless of there being enough testing available or not or if the insurance companies had said anything like that. So Trump doesn't do even that much homework that he would remember what was decided in a meeting that ended just before the press conference. 

1 hour ago, Dan Warnick said:

Click bait.

@Tom Kirkman

Thanks for the alert, but no issue.  So long as it's not advertising, moderators generally don't remove links. 

In this case, Radha seems to be focused on a singular topic, and he is free to post links that support his views.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 0R0 said:

Filibuster. You need 60% to stop one. Dems have over 40% of the Senate. Thus can block anything so long as they are a united block. Fortunately that is not always the case. 

That's interesting. I assume that you and @Ward Smith who blasted me earlier with "you're not native speaker" for a small spelling mistake and has liked this post are actually native born Americans. The statement above is about how American government works and is factually incorrect. As explained by @Jay McKinsey there is no filibuster on other appointments than SCOTUS. So, @Ward Smith are you not American if you don't know such things how your government works? Or if not that, do you have a habit to give thumbs up to posts that contain false statements?

And @0R0 now that this is cleared, how about a bit better explanation why Trump has been so incompetent appointing people if there is nothing the Dems can do to stop him in the senate? 

16 minutes ago, Tom Kirkman said:

Thanks for the alert, but no issue.  So long as it's not advertising, moderators generally don't remove links. 

In this case, Radha seems to be focused on a singular topic, and he is free to post links that support his views.

When I clicked on the link it brought up a page that appeared to be subscription only, with no information at all about what he was commenting on.

51 minutes ago, timamtti said:

It's interesting that at the same time the conspiracy theory group in this thread bashes Chinese Communist Party, but then cites a Chinese published journal as a proof of corruption in the West. Conspiracy of the conspiracy. 

Researchgate is owned by a German company. The author is from Denmark. You're apparently from Stoopidland. 

16 minutes ago, Dan Warnick said:

When I clicked on the link it brought up a page that appeared to be subscription only, with no information at all about what he was commenting on.

This is what I got at the link

Screenshot_20200411-144905_DuckDuckGo.thumb.jpg.a8587d72e10abae5434118c6180d31ab.jpg

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, timamtti said:

That's interesting. I assume that you and @Ward Smith who blasted me earlier with "you're not native speaker" for a small spelling mistake and has liked this post are actually native born Americans. The statement above is about how American government works and is factually incorrect. As explained by @Jay McKinsey there is no filibuster on other appointments than SCOTUS. So, @Ward Smith are you not American if you don't know such things how your government works? Or if not that, do you have a habit to give thumbs up to posts that contain false statements?

And @0R0 now that this is cleared, how about a bit better explanation why Trump has been so incompetent appointing people if there is nothing the Dems can do to stop him in the senate? 

Senators don't need to filibuster to stop an appointment, they Merely have to put a hold on the appointment. Not the same, but thanks for playing. Back to CCP spy school for you tovarisch 

3 minutes ago, Ward Smith said:

Researchgate is owned by a German company. The author is from Denmark. You're apparently from Stoopidland. 

LOL. Researchgate is not a journal but a webservice that collects citations. You'd know this if you published anything in science.

But you're right Journal of Integrative Medicine and Therapy is not Chinese. I mixed it up with Journal of Integrative Medicine which is.

4 minutes ago, Ward Smith said:

Senators don't need to filibuster to stop an appointment, they Merely have to put a hold on the appointment. Not the same, but thanks for playing. Back to CCP spy school for you tovarisch 

Ok, how many Trump appointments are on hold? 

(edited)

For today you have over 522,000 cases with only 2,600,000 tests performed.

So  looking at the fact that the US still has not done too many tests and they record 20-30 thousand new infections a day opening the economy in the interest of large corporations does not seem to me the best idea

I am not a supporter of the Koranovirus hysteria but the fact is that this is by far the worst situation in the world and the US has failed for a long time trying to develop its own Koranovirus test.

In the clash with the coronavirus, the Chinese have done better so far.

Edited by Tomasz

59 minutes ago, timamtti said:

LOL. Researchgate is not a journal but a webservice that collects citations. You'd know this if you published anything in science.

But you're right Journal of Integrative Medicine and Therapy is not Chinese. I mixed it up with Journal of Integrative Medicine which is.

Lol, you're wrong and you're from Stoopidland. Where pray tell did I say Researchgate was a "Journal"?

Indeed I have published, and Researchgate does far more than publish citations. You'd know that if you ever published anything in science. 

1 hour ago, timamtti said:

Ok, how many Trump appointments are on hold? 

Over 200. No President in recent history has had more obstruction Than President Trump

The swamp has critters who bite, and suck

2 hours ago, timamtti said:

I was always told of Dem sabotage of the presidential appointments, they seemed quite happy with each fallen candidate. Not that Republicans like them all. I only viewed the stats rather than looking at the process. ~75% rejection. On that record I think any president will not rush to fill positions. Not the kind of thing I get into in detail. I will say that the Trump administration has large swaths of the regulatory agencies in its cross-hairs to shut down or diminish in scope and authority. That is part of the problem in staffing them 

I don't care about the grammar etc. so long as I understand what you are saying. And I don't play the semantics when they are not the issue. So no criticism came from me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tomasz said:

For today you have over 522,000 cases with only 2,600,000 tests performed.

So  looking at the fact that the US still has not done too many tests and they record 20-30 thousand new infections a day opening the economy in the interest of large corporations does not seem to me the best idea

I am not a supporter of the Koranovirus hysteria but the fact is that this is by far the worst situation in the world and the US has failed for a long time trying to develop its own Koranovirus test.

In the clash with the coronavirus, the Chinese have done better so far.

The Chinese had the idiotic goal of eradicating the virus entirely before reaching any sort of herd immunity. It is a SARS virus, it will not have a vaccine in the next 5 years or longer, as there has yet to be a successful one for SARS after 15+ years of trying. Now they can't take in incoming flights without quarantining and testing every passenger. And make travel abroad for Chinese a health risk. I don't believe their goal was rational.

The initial attitude from the Norse countries, US and UK of letting the virus go propagate wildly till we know that there is a problem was a mistake. But following the Chinese example was absolutely the wrong thing to do. There should have been physical distancing where it matters, not a hatchet job aimed straight at producing an economic Armageddon. I much prefer what the Swedes are doing. 

There was a huge bungling of the handling of tests in the medical regulatory system. It is either uncaring, sabotage, or just plain incompetence. 

The process to produce more testing capacity is revealing just how badly the US pharma and medical device sector has been hollowed out on the production end of things. 

On the other hand, NYC and other gateway cities appear to be building some degree of herd immunity. Antibody tests will tell us in time. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, 0R0 said:

On the other hand, NYC and other gateway cities appear to be building some degree of herd immunity. Antibody tests will tell us in time. 

Herd immunity might have been up there with death as the four horsemen of the apocalypse, for they always ride together. In other words, the curve of death will, for a very long time, rise and fall right along with the ratio of herd immunity. 

Think about it: as more and more people get infected and really don't get all that sick, another subset is getting infected to the point of dying. So, in NYC, herd immunity has (as you've said previously) been on the rise, as has death. But now, if we are truly cresting, death will begin to fall off . . . but so will herd immunity. 

Then we'll have, at some point, a second wave, the fabled tsunami of epidemics. That will occur when the country is opening back up. Infections will rise all around, so herd immunity will increase, but so will death--mostly in the infirm but others too. 

While it is immensely important to check antibody levels for immunity, if for no other reason than to get immune people back to work, you really don't have to check for immune antibodies to gauge the level of herd immunity--just look at the death rate. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Gerry Maddoux said:

Herd immunity might have been up there with death as the four horsemen of the apocalypse, for they always ride together. In other words, the curve of death will, for a very long time, rise and fall right along with the ratio of herd immunity. 

Think about it: as more and more people get infected and really don't get all that sick, another subset is getting infected to the point of dying. So, in NYC, herd immunity has (as you've said previously) been on the rise, as has death. But now, if we are truly cresting, death will begin to fall off . . . but so will herd immunity. 

Then we'll have, at some point, a second wave, the fabled tsunami of epidemics. That will occur when the country is opening back up. Infections will rise all around, so herd immunity will increase, but so will death--mostly in the infirm but others too. 

While it is immensely important to check antibody levels for immunity, if for no other reason than to get immune people back to work, you really don't have to check for immune antibodies to gauge the level of herd immunity--just look at the death rate. 

Yes, if it were a natural progression of the epidemic, but we stopped it with a quarantine so it abruptly slowed to a trickle. So the herd immunity factor was not reached, not even in NYC. If it were, we would have seen a really sharp drop off in daily deaths, not the plateau and gradual decline as we have seen in say Italy. 

• Like 2

(edited)

4 hours ago, Ward Smith said:

Did you even read the document you linked? Holds are controlled by the majority leader. The main reason hold requests are honored is to avert a filibuster. Which again, can be averted through cloture with a simple majority. My CCP spy school was an ABA approved law school. Where amusingly my thesis adviser was David D. Friedman, Milton's son and the head of the utilitarian school of anarcho-capitalism.

The Senate “hold” is an informal practice whereby Senators communicate to Senate leaders, often in the form of a letter, their policy views and scheduling preferences regarding measures and matters available for floor consideration. Unique to the upper chamber, holds can be understood as information-sharing devices predicated on the unanimous consent nature of Senate decisionmaking. Senators place holds to accomplish a variety of purposes—to receive notification of upcoming legislative proceedings, for instance, or to express objections to a particular proposal or executive nomination—but ultimately the decision to honor a hold request, and for how long, rests with the majority leader. Scheduling Senate business is the fundamental prerogative of the majority leader, and this responsibility is typically carried out in consultation with the minority leader. The influence that holds exert in chamber deliberations is based primarily upon the significant parliamentary prerogatives individual Senators are afforded in the rules, procedures, and precedents of the chamber. More often than not, Senate leaders honor a hold request because not doing so could trigger a range of parliamentary responses from the holding Senator(s), such as a filibuster, that could expend significant amounts of scarce floor time. As such, efforts to regulate holds are inextricably linked with the chamber’s use of unanimous consent agreements to structure the process of calling up measures and matters for floor debate and amendment

Edited by Jay McKinsey

5 minutes ago, Jay McKinsey said:

More often than not, Senate leaders honor a hold request because not doing so could trigger a range of parliamentary responses from the holding Senator(s), such as a filibuster, that could expend significant amounts of scarce floor time. As such, efforts to regulate holds are inextricably linked with the chamber’s use of unanimous consent agreements to structure the process of calling up measures and matters for floor debate and amendment

I'm aware of the words in the source and even the political slant of said source (not conservative). Irregardless, the words from your quote I've quoted tell the whole story. In the good Ole boys club that is the Senate, there are any number of games being played. 

Go to my subsequent post and review the graphs. An appointment need not go to full on filibuster to be delayed into oblivion. Multiple appointees have simply given up, which was part and parcel of the Democratic Party strategy. They've been at war with the President since he won the election. Anyone with an IQ over room temperature can see that. 

https://community.oilprice.com/topic/11702-why-trump-is-right-to-re-open-the-economy/?page=20#comment-102465