MP

A New Solar-Panel Plant Could Have Capacity to Meet Half of Global Demand

3 minutes ago, BradleyPNW said:

QE reduces interest rates. The important point is COVID caused an economic depression which means QE policies will last for years. That means investors will buy debt at low interest rates to finance capital intensive projects that don't have fuel costs: solar, wind.

Solar works everywhere. It works especially well when connected to continental grids. And our populations live near solar resources. Even if you don't build solar in the prime locations it's easy to compensate for less direct irradiation by installing more solar arrays. Which is what you do when interest rates are dirt cheap. 

main-qimg-794d45e126930a7c9ea3ba2916c7dcbf.png

Annotation 2020-05-06 130750.png

AH, so it is still reverse day for you... did you bother to look at that graph?  Less than 1/5 of the worlds population has solar resources close by. 

5 hours ago, footeab@yahoo.com said:

AH, so it is still reverse day for you... did you bother to look at that graph?  Less than 1/5 of the worlds population has solar resources close by. 

Well, to be accurate, I've held this view longer than a day. 

37 minutes ago, BradleyPNW said:

Well, to be accurate, I've held this view longer than a day. 

Its not your "view" I care about.  Reality on the other hand...

2 hours ago, footeab@yahoo.com said:

Its not your "view" I care about.  Reality on the other hand...

okey dokey

9 hours ago, footeab@yahoo.com said:

I'm sure I will get in trouble for pointing out reality but here goes. The only regions on the solar irradiance map that are both green and have high populations are N. Europe and SE China. 

China has enormous solar resources in the west which they are building transmission lines from. Last year they turned on a 12GW line to carry solar and wind from the west to the east. https://www.tdworld.com/overhead-transmission/article/20972092/worlds-biggest-ultrahigh-voltage-line-powers-up-across-chinat

N. Europe could likewise build lines from Africa but they have tremendous off shore wind capability to exploit first. China has high quality off shore wind as well. The reality is that solar and wind work as compliments.  If you aren't close to solar then you are likely close to wind. 

(edited)

1 hour ago, Jay McKinsey said:

I'm sure I will get in trouble for pointing out reality but here goes. The only regions on the solar irradiance map that are both green and have high populations are N. Europe and SE China. 

China has enormous solar resources in the west which they are building transmission lines from. Last year they turned on a 12GW line to carry solar and wind from the west to the east. https://www.tdworld.com/overhead-transmission/article/20972092/worlds-biggest-ultrahigh-voltage-line-powers-up-across-chinat

N. Europe could likewise build lines from Africa but they have tremendous off shore wind capability to exploit first. China has high quality off shore wind as well. The reality is that solar and wind work as compliments.  If you aren't close to solar then you are likely close to wind. 

🙄 Green  = height of solar power potential in your reality... Go Penguins at the S. Pole and Polar bears at the N. pole!!!!  Russia the new king of solar power according to J. McK..... 👍👍

The west tranx line is for wind of which China has quite a bit in inner mongolia. 

Edited by footeab@yahoo.com

40 minutes ago, footeab@yahoo.com said:

🙄 Green  = height of solar power potential in your reality... Go Penguins at the S. Pole and Polar bears at the N. pole!!!!  Russia the new king of solar power according to J. McK..... 👍👍

The west tranx line is for wind of which China has quite a bit in inner mongolia. 

You are really good at getting everything backwards. Earlier you said "Less than 1/5 of the worlds population has solar resources close by. " I was pointing out that the opposite is true as the only two areas of the world that have both high population and low solar(green on the irradiance map ) are N.Europe and SE China which together account for about 20% of the world's population. 

(edited)

Obviously there are still two schools of thought here and there will never be a consensus.

Unless of course Wombat takes a side....by his own admission he is one of the top 5 physicists alive and we MUST bow to his superior intellect...

Edited by Douglas Buckland
Njjh