Tom Kirkman

Its going to be an oil bloodbath

9 hours ago, ronwagn said:

Plastics are far superior to wood for many things. I just ordered a wooden chicken coop, but wanted a plastic one that was over twice the price for long term durability and ease of putting together. I see no real reason for the price difference. Plastic shelving is a far better buy than wooden. I have had two plastic sheds for twelve years. They are still as good as new. Plastic siding has replaced wooden and aluminum siding. The best decks now have a lot of plastic, much of it recycled. 

Plastic cricket bats and baseball bats are rubbish though! 😂

If you're talking sex toys then I'm with you Ron!

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, 0R0 said:

Volcanoes are really bad for solar. Better have a backup.  The big victim of coronavirus is the big tall city. NYC is no. 1 in the US. Where possible these cities will disperse offices and residences to the interior of the US. Where Millennials with families will be driving trucks and SUVs for the next 30 years. Goodbye public transportation. We oh so loved your energy efficiency. 

Autonomous Electric solar is future. Manless delivery is already on the way in China. Soon Drone deliveries will take off. India is converting all Railways on Electricity will use Renewable electricity. Goods transport has already a substitute. passenger transport will also. World demand for oil will only REDUCE hereon. Mark my words. 

6 minutes ago, Hiten Shah said:

India is converting all Railways on Electricity will use Renewable electricity.

India runs these massive passenger trains that are 40 carriages long, each packed to the gills with staggering passenger loads.  And you think that is going to be pulled, along with all the other massive amount of trains in India, off some solar panels?  OK, so good luck with that. Ain't gonna happen. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Hiten Shah said:

Autonomous Electric solar is future. Manless delivery is already on the way in China. Soon Drone deliveries will take off. India is converting all Railways on Electricity will use Renewable electricity. Goods transport has already a substitute. passenger transport will also. World demand for oil will only REDUCE hereon. Mark my words. 

I don't think anyone is really disputing that oil demand will diminish long term. However oil is not going away, if you look at all of oil's uses it would be idiotic for anyone to suggest this.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

https://gaadiwaadi.com/toyota-byd-announces-new-5050-jv-company-for-electric-vehicles/amp/

In a jointly issued press release, the two companies have stated that they would now work together to cater to the varying needs of their target customers through researching EVs that have a high appeal across segments. They’ll also work together speeding up a widespread adoption of electric cars. Not just this, the two manufacturers also plan to work together to improve the environment in China.

It’s noteworthy here that Kishi has previously presided over Toyota’s powertrain division, while Zhao has worked as the assistant to the president at BYD Automotive Engineering Research Institute. Speaking on the newly formed company, Kishi has said, “With the engineers from BYD and Toyota working together under the same roof, we aim to develop BEVs that are superior in performance and meet the needs of customers in China by merging the two companies’ strengths and also through friendly rivalry.

Zhao has commented, “This joint venture company will focus on the research and development of battery electric vehicles with technology and know-how from both China and Japan. The company is committed to promoting and populating high-quality technologies that make battery electric vehicles more environmentally friendly, safe, comfortable, and intelligent. Our vision is to create a future customer-first mobility style, and a harmonious society for humans and nature.

There is a hell of a lot of inertia to get a 40 carriage train moving, those batteries must be gigantic!

That will leave a huge carbon footprint in the manufacture of these batteries, green they aint!

• Upvote 1

(edited)

On 4/1/2020 at 3:14 PM, Hiten Shah said:

World is getting rid of crude oil addiction

Pollution free world. in India we call Karma. We pay for your deeds. Those who earned money from pollution will lose their money.

Please get real. India is a close second to China in coal use for electricity generation.  And India's  imports of coal are growing substantially.

You are the problem . 

End of argument.  

Edited by BLA
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Hiten Shah said:

While I agree in general, that is not yet in the works as a substantial portion of traffic for quite some years to come. With oil in the $40s average for the near years, there will be less adoption of EVs and slower than otherwise. PHEVs appear to be the most likely form of EV adoption in spread out countries like the US Australia and Canada. 

China may take on autonomous delivery early on. But in the West, people complain about drone noise and will take a while to take on autonomous delivery where it actually makes sense, spread out suburbs. I keep looking in the same direction and am routinely disappointed. So yes, but not yet, and not for quite a few years till it takes off broadly. 

Besides which, we don't have enough iridium to make Lithium with. It was recently at $3k/oz. That is starting to affect lithium production costs. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/1/2020 at 2:58 PM, Tom Kirkman said:

Due to global oil demand collapse, too many oil producing countries are still overproducing, and are rapidly running out of storage for oil.  Overproduction is still being done by most oil producing countries, including Saudi Arabia, Russia, U.S. and most OPEC countries.

Saudi Arabia is the one going the most bonkers, deliberately ramping up their oil production to try to kill off competitors and regain market share.

Hey MbS, what's that definition of insanity again?  Something about doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

How's that Aramco IPO going?     Told. You. So.

A couple of my many old threads on this, predicting crash and burn of the Aramco IPO:

Saudi Aramco IPO Will Not Save Kingdom

Saudi Shakedown 2.0: Kingdom "Asks" Country's Billionaires To Be Anchor Investors In Aramco IPO

Doing the same thing over and over and over, can be called Pratice, so you're right to attemp to get different result as you get better each time you repeat.

14 hours ago, Rob Kramer said:

If I'm on the highway traveling to family then ya - I want to hear conversation and or the music. If I'm having fun loud is what gets the heart pumping. Imagine a 2 stroke ripping through the dirt or a nascar or a cigarette boat ... sound is one of the major senses. It's like that "hot for teacher" song where the guy drumbs to the beat of a Porsche with oversized cam shaft lobes.  

Hence Vance & Hines 2-into-1 Competition pipes. You need to hear when to shift when you are going too fast to look down at the tach!

Also good for setting off car alarms early in the morning...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, BLA said:

Please get real. India is a close second to China in coal use for electricity generation.  And India's  imports of coal are growing substantially.

You are the problem . 

End of argument.  

Indian Coal plants are operating at very low utilisation factor. Already many ultra mega power plants of India like that of Adani and Tata power are near Bankruptcy. Biggest National NTPC shares are trading lower. Watchout when Solar pump and Railways introduction of Generation of Solar power. Coal and Natural Gas will uneconomical. 

• Rolling Eye 1

1 minute ago, Hiten Shah said:

Indian Coal plants are operating at very low utilisation factor. Already many ultra mega power plants of India like that of Adani and Tata power are near Bankruptcy. Biggest National NTPC shares are trading lower. Watchout when Solar pump and Railways introduction of Generation of Solar power. Coal and Natural Gas will uneconomical. 

Nice goal but unrealistic.  It will be many years.

India's use of coal is very big.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Rob Plant said:

There is a hell of a lot of inertia to get a 40 carriage train moving, those batteries must be gigantic!

That will leave a huge carbon footprint in the manufacture of these batteries, green they aint!

Railways is driven mostly by overhead Cables and soon it will be powered by Solar power and coaches itself will have rooftop solar for use of electricity inside coaches. India has hige potential of solar with more than 300 days of sunshine across and huge coastlines for offshore and onshore wind energy generation. In addition we have huge potential for Hydropower and Pump batteries storage. Recently bundled Battery plus Renewable auctions were lowest cost in the world.

• Rolling Eye 1

(edited)

Tibet has a very good rail system, much better than Chinas.

Edited by James Regan
Troll bashing off of the latest discussion page

21 minutes ago, James Regan said:

Tibet has a very good rail system, much better than Chinas.

...but Jimmy, Isn’t Tibet part of China? You know, like Taiwan...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Douglas Buckland said:

...but Jimmy, Isn’t Tibet part of China? You know, like Taiwan...

Dougie damn your right, that must suck to have such a couple of nice places near to you that you can't own. That Dalai Lama fellow doesn't eat dogs either.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2020 at 1:06 PM, Hiten Shah said:

I am pro Tesla and Renewables. Simple Reason Sun is functioning irrespective of Coronavirus. wind Hydropower also. And no cornavirus can bring down generation of Renewable power and virtually no much manpower and transport is required from generation. Now Tesla Home with Panels , Battery and Electric car is the world in post corona world. Also Worl from Home will be a Norm. Not only that Tourista and commercial movements of people in both intra and inter country will be reduced drastically due to risk of coronavirus. All those things which can replaced by online like Banking, Shopping, etc wil be more or less Online in post coronavirus world!

Its amazing, you never see Engineers posting about "renewables" being cheap... Why?  We can do simple math, add/subtract $$$, and can figure out that people want their power 24 hours a day, heat in the winter, and not just when the sun is shining.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hiten Shah said:

Railways is driven mostly by overhead Cables and soon it will be powered by Solar power and coaches itself will have rooftop solar for use of electricity inside coaches. India has hige potential of solar with more than 300 days of sunshine across and huge coastlines for offshore and onshore wind energy generation. In addition we have huge potential for Hydropower and Pump batteries storage. Recently bundled Battery plus Renewable auctions were lowest cost in the world.

I think the world is heading for a depression, if not that then certainly a recession, only the most ludicrous optimist would think differently. Solar is expensive and normally largely subsidized. There is no way countries are going to revert back to solar or other expensive green energy sources when they have just borrowed trillions of dollars to prop up their economies, they just cant afford it, let alone the cost to implement a solar project on this scale, unless of course there is a massive breakthrough in efficiency and cost of production. The last time I checked India was a very big place.

I dont doubt for a second that India has huge "potential" for green energy but why would you go down this road when your country is bankrupt and your people are starving in the streets? Oil + gas is cheaper, economics will be the deciding factor in government decisions post Covid-19. Greta and her chums will have to wait until they are 25 and go on a few more climate change rallies before the world gets back to this.

Oil + gas will have a renaissance after this horrible virus is largely behind us and will play a massive part in getting world economies somewhere near to where they were last year. Even then it will take many years to achieve this IMO

24 minutes ago, Rob Plant said:

I think the world is heading for a depression, if not that then certainly a recession, only the most ludicrous optimist would think differently. Solar is expensive and normally largely subsidized. There is no way countries are going to revert back to solar or other expensive green energy sources when they have just borrowed trillions of dollars to prop up their economies, they just cant afford it, let alone the cost to implement a solar project on this scale, unless of course there is a massive breakthrough in efficiency and cost of production. The last time I checked India was a very big place.

I dont doubt for a second that India has huge "potential" for green energy but why would you go down this road when your country is bankrupt and your people are starving in the streets? Oil + gas is cheaper, economics will be the deciding factor in government decisions post Covid-19. Greta and her chums will have to wait until they are 25 and go on a few more climate change rallies before the world gets back to this.

Oil + gas will have a renaissance after this horrible virus is largely behind us and will play a massive part in getting world economies somewhere near to where they were last year. Even then it will take many years to achieve this IMO

Agree on the depression. But disagree on O&G renaissance. If anything this will abccellerate demand destruction. as @0R0 has noted I think we are headed for a more regional economy that just consumes less energy. This means that only the most competetive energy projects will materialize. Some will sure be O&G, but not all...

29 minutes ago, footeab@yahoo.com said:

Its amazing, you never see Engineers posting about "renewables" being cheap... Why?  We can do simple math, add/subtract $$$, and can figure out that people want their power 24 hours a day, heat in the winter, and not just when the sun is shining.

I myself use solar water heater system from last 10 years. Hot water stored in Tanks is more than enough for family of four. Hot water available during Night also. This system unit is seperate from Solar PV. No need of Battery for this Hot water.

25 minutes ago, Hiten Shah said:

I myself use solar water heater system from last 10 years. Hot water stored in Tanks is more than enough for family of four. Hot water available during Night also. This system unit is seperate from Solar PV. No need of Battery for this Hot water.

Well good for you....

39 minutes ago, Hiten Shah said:

I like gas its GREAT!

Mind you we get to see the sun once every leap year in the UK

We power everything in our apartment with unicorn farts....

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Hiten Shah said:

Wonderful if you live in a desert, or during the summer(Yes, I use them on my roof for general heating).  Utterly useless for true hot water as you claim during spring, fall, winter where the majority of people live. 

Enjoy your delusions dude.

My Friend India Enjoys 300 days of full sunshine in most parts of it. For rest of days its balanced by Hydropower as those cloudy days of Rains we have Turbines ON. We have 6 Ecological seasons of which only 2 months are cloudy and no sunshine. Also I am part of Green Forest completely covered with trees. Dessert is long long away.