... to Equinor of all words imaginable. They've also tweaked their logo and it now looks like the logo of a leftist party. Aim is to look more like a "broader energy company." Oh, well.

image.jpg

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Marina Schwarz said:

... to Equinor of all words imaginable. They've also tweaked their logo and it now looks like the logo of a leftist party. Aim is to look more like a "broader energy company." Oh, well.

Smart! Rebranding has shown to be pretty successful. Amoco/BP/Amoco went through the same thing, as will many "energy" (as opposed to dirty oil) companies, I suspect. https://oilprice.com/Latest-Energy-News/World-News/Oil-Throwback-BP-Is-Bringing-Back-The-Amoco-Brand.html

Of the larger oil players, which ones have the worst names that need to be shed? I say Exxon. I'm surprised they haven't done it yet. A poll forthcoming in a separate thread!

Yeah.... ummm... the video that Statoil..er... Equinor... put out explaining the change is just WEIRD. Who is responsible for putting out this garbage? 

https://youtu.be/hwLKEl9G_W0

I've no idea but I'm sure they were paid to do it... I'm still mourning what I thought was the best logo ever.

4 minutes ago, Marina Schwarz said:

I've no idea but I'm sure they were paid to do it... I'm still mourning what I thought was the best logo ever.

which logo are we mourning? The pink one or the blue/gold one?

image.jpeg.fe2d9592d4522309a30a4a5aca52b588.jpegimage.png.96b8b1052fa855693a215c9f63f97190.png

The left one. SO nice! The right one is so... 60s?

I did a blog post on logos a while ago. Worst and best. Purely subjective, of course. Now one of my favorites is gone forever.

7 minutes ago, Marina Schwarz said:

The left one. SO nice! The right one is so... 60s?

I did a blog post on logos a while ago. Worst and best. Purely subjective, of course. Now one of my favorites is gone forever.

What a GREAT post. Re: SINOPEC, what with the "SIN" part being bigger than the OPEC part, and what "sin" implies (or not even implies, but just says straight up) is just weird and ill-thought out, methinks. 

• Like 1

The Sinopec logo horrifies me every time I see it, I admit. Same with Freeport's.

21 minutes ago, Kate Turlington said:

so what's the rationale behind the name change?

Largely to drop "oil" from its name. Trying to shed its dirty oil ties and instead opting for something that more closely reflects its transition to renewables. I tried to type that with a straight face. Failed.

Yeah right, like that's gonna help them. They change the name and we all suddenly forget all about their previous acts. 

It's like trying to wake up from your worst nightmare, and when you finally wake up, you are still afraid it's after you. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Selvedina said:

Yeah right, like that's gonna help them. They change the name and we all suddenly forget all about their previous acts. 

Exactement! By the way, turns out they didn't even come up with the name themselves. They bought it from--wait for it--a vet clinic!

And they paid a sweet $32 million for the whole rebranding thing. This includes the video, I feel compelled to remind you.

It must have been a large animal vet clinic. They dropped an e from Equine-or, possibly short for Equine Ordure. The logo on the other hand seems to have the tail fins of a bomb at the top and cluster bomblets flying out from the bottom.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ευχαριστώ πολύ για την επικοινωνία.

Σύντομα θα πούμε περισσότερα.

Φιλικά

Δημήτρης

• Like 1

Goodbye, great oil company name. Hello, crappy oil company name. I will now always think of horses, NOT energy, when I see Equinor. Serves you right.

8 minutes ago, Guillaume Albasini said:

For the moment  http://www.equinor.com is still pointing to statoil.com

But you can find horses here :  http://www.equin-or.com/

Heh heh, amusing.  Statoil may have some hiccups with their name change.

(edited)

It is not like by changing their name they can erase everything they have done. Plus, I don't like when companies change their name or logo. I have made my logo some years ago, I am not planning to change it in the future. Besides this, I haven't spent a lot of time making it as I have used a stamp online maker which I have found here https://mystampready.com/en/constructor/. I like that it is simple to use and I always use it when I need some stamps for documents stuff.

Edited by Pullrian

1 hour ago, Pullrian said:

It is not like by changing their name they can erase everything they have done. Plus, I don't like when companies change their name or logo. I have made my logo some years ago, I am not planning to change it in the future.

They have very little choice

Any company with "oil" in its name is not going to attract much investment from anywhere anytime soon. The shareholders in Statoil now Equinor would demand the change and a move towards energy transition which Equinor have started with their "Hywind" facility.

Are you saying US oil that is growing like a weed doesn’t have oil in any of the companies names? 

40 minutes ago, Boat said:

Are you saying US oil that is growing like a weed doesn’t have oil in any of the companies names? 

No I'm not, but its not exactly fashionable nor is it likely to please investors or existing shareholders!

The change of name from Statoil to Equinor makes pefect sense long term. Most oil companies are trying to reinvent themselves as "energy" companies

The company became Equinor in 2018, and was announced in 2017.  Not sure why folks are just finding out about it now.  The switch from the logo to the red one is new though.  

I live in Texas and oil is popular here. I think oil is popular from Texas to N Dakota mainly because all those states have oil and gas in the states. Except for Texas they don’t have large populations either. This ain’t the Wall Street crowd. They have rodeos.