MG

No trucks flowing into NYC, no diesel being consumed. TAKE A GOOD LOOK, FELLAS.

On 4/11/2020 at 6:27 PM, Ward Smith said:

Why the hell does just setting foot on US soil entitle anyone to anything?

At the substantial risk of stoking up your patently clear unhappiness with the 14th Amendment, I would gently point out the case of a certain Panamanian "President,"  Manuel Noriega,  who ran afoul of some folks inside the US CIA and made himself persona non grata.  Ultimately the US made the decision to go invade the place, seize Noriega, and bring him back in chains to Miami, where he was paraded about as if he was some trophy captured African elephant, before being put on trial by US prosecutors for whatever charges they could dream up, including as I vaguely recall "drug running."  

Now, Noriega was not exactly a popular fellow.  That said, dragging someone onto US soil wrapped in chains and padlocks,  Roman style,  in order to wreak the government's wrath on his head was not exactly the American Government's finest moment.  The prosecutors then ran afoul of a Judge down there that made it clear to the (over-reaching) US prosecutors that Mr. President Noriega was to be accorded all the rights of any and every other defendant before the Courts.  So, he was "entitled", as you would put it, simply by having "set foot" on US soil. 

I appreciate that that is not a result you would favor.  That said, would you prefer that the US court system dispense "justice," Chinese style, with a Party-guaranteed "conviction" and an immediate bullet to the back of the head?    Because I sure don't. 

I am not asking you to change your mind;  simply pointing out the problems of making denial of the equal protections under the laws a capricious social and legal policy, one that does not enamor concepts of fair play, forget about decency.  Cheers. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Jan van Eck said:

appreciate that that is not a result you would favor.  That said, would you prefer that the US court system dispense "justice," Chinese style, with a Party-guaranteed "conviction" and an immediate bullet to the back of the head?    Because I sure don't. 

I am not asking you to change your mind;  simply pointing out the problems of making denial of the equal protections under the laws a capricious social and legal policy, one that does not enamor concepts of fair play, forget about decency.  Cheers. 

Just because I dislike our overworked criminal justice system being abused by spurious asylum requests, please don't conflate that with denying citizens equal protection under the law. As it stands right now, our Federal "justice" system is not the greatest, especially if you're a republican as Stone, or a certain general, or a certain lobbyist recently discovered. Manafort being placed "in chains and padlocks" and solitary confinement for 7 months prior to a trial where he could be found guilty Chinese style only sans the bullet to the head. Once the feds have you in their sights, no one without extraordinary means can even dream of defending themselves. Flynn is bankrupt now, thanks for your service, schmuck. 

Meanwhile, the clearly guilty "made men" continue to skate Scott free, never even getting "charged" with the obvious crimes, while the DOJ hides behind the excuse that they'd probably be found innocent if there was a trial. The same Federal court system that has, what, a 98% conviction rate? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Ward Smith said:

Flynn is bankrupt now, thanks for your service, schmuck. 

Yup, if there ever was a case of judicial-system abuse, that docket is it.   pathetic. 

9 minutes ago, Ward Smith said:

The same Federal court system that has, what, a 98% conviction rate? 

Yup, your analysis is correct.  The Feds "over-charge" the Defendant, then let him off if he pleads Guilty to one Felony count.  It is the felony conviction that these glory-hounds in the US DOJ gloat about, they keep score-cards, the guy with the most gets promoted.  It is a totally rotten, corrupt system.   Federal prosecutors, as a group, are the national disgrace. 

• Upvote 3