Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ES

EPA to Give Carmakers A Big Break

Sources at EPA say they are going to relax Obama-era mileage/emission standards. Media spinning this as a doom and gloom scenario that will end in a face-off with California. Is it really that bad? Pruitt says the regs will be too tough for automakers to achieve by the current due date, which include pretty significant fuel-efficiency improvements to SUVs which doesn't seem realistic to me. 

Is this really a big deal? Did automakers have a chance at meeting those targets? Why do we even care if everyone is so sure we're going to all be driving around in EVs by then?

The regulations were punitive in nature--as if the carmakers who needed bailouts a few years ago can afford that much of an overhaul. I'd rather not pay taxes to bail them out yet again after they invest so much money in meeting these new targets, only to have them replaced by EVs a few years down the road anyway, if we are to believe what we are told. If we do believe the EV revolution is but around the corner, let's invest in that instead. Seems like a waste to do anything else.

Tesla must love those strict targets, and I think Tesla might not appreciate a relaxation of the targets. While automakers focus on the targets for ICEs, they might get their eye off the EV ball. I wonder what Tesla thinks now?

2 hours ago, BeamMeUp said:

Sources at EPA say they are going to relax Obama-era mileage/emission standards. Media spinning this as a doom and gloom scenario that will end in a face-off with California. Is it really that bad? Pruitt says the regs will be too tough for automakers to achieve by the current due date, which include pretty significant fuel-efficiency improvements to SUVs which doesn't seem realistic to me. 

Is this really a big deal? Did automakers have a chance at meeting those targets? Why do we even care if everyone is so sure we're going to all be driving around in EVs by then?

carmakers asked nicely