HermitMunster

So the President is on that Hydroxy

(edited)

7 hours ago, GOZRX said:

You really don't understand medical treatment slightly. Raoult treatment protocol is ethical vs your call for randomized study (withholding medication from some patients) with a medication regimen shown to have >90% cure rate in less than 10 days of hospitalized not already experiencing cytokine storm.

The desired outcome of a COVID-19 treatement is to increase the odds to stay alive, in this regard IHU studies were inconclusive at best..(latest with more healthy than average positive cases, 95 no or few symptoms, yet 0.9 % mortality)

I understand doctors won't let people die doing nothing, and there is such a thing as compassionate use, that allows to use an unproven treatment where there is not proven one for a given condition..

Raoult gave his protocol as if it was standard care, to people whose more than 99% would have had survived with standard care, it wasn't compassionate use..  

What Raoult did was to bypasse the rules that were set in place to protect patients, and was experimenting on them, including 14 y/o children, without even asking consent, giving them a combination of HCQ+AZ with real side effects, he made studies without the appropriate authorizations..

I'm not working in this field but people far qualified than me and I guess you extensively discussed this topic ex there..

https://forbetterscience.com/2020/04/22/chloroquine-witchdoctor-didier-raoult-barking-mad-and-dangerous/

7 hours ago, GOZRX said:

Please don't reference the VA and Albany studies as they are less than a joke. Many people hate the orange man that it destroys the ability to think logically and examine data honestly.

Maybe you could explain how the VA and Albany are less than a joke ?

I do not take medical advice from politicians or "information" sources with a strong political bias, I'm just trying to be sceptic and rational. AFAIK so far no treatment has proven to be effective against COVID-19. Many treatments are tested and I only hope one will be found, whatever that is.

You are projecting your bias.

The policital weaponization that is made around these topics is disgusting and harmful.

In France an overhelming majority of pro-HCQ people are far-left and far-right activists who have an axe to grind against the government..Not so much interest in levels of proofs than in attacking the government for depriving the French people from the magic potion.

Edited by Jim Profit

(edited)

10 hours ago, Tom Kirkman said:

Hey reflexive haters of HCQ, (aka shills) you are losing control of your panic narrative.  You need to panic harder and louder, I guess.

You are losing control of your narrative (covid is a hoax, nothing more than a flu, etc.) 

If the disease is so trivial why do we need medicines?  Why is trump taking stuff of dubious effectiveness for a hoax?

If the "trump medicine" works, then the virus will be called serious.  Praise trump! 

When "trump medicine" fails the virus is just a flu. Praise trump!

Pick one side. It's real and dangerous, or it's not.  Generally, you don't take drugs for diseases you don't have and have no fear of contracting.

I guess a third option is preaching bravery while behaving like a coward...

Edited by Enthalpic
  • Upvote 1

(edited)

9 hours ago, Tom Kirkman said:

HCQ knee jerk haters, you are losing control of your TDS hysteria narrative.  

Trump Chides Reporter Who Asks About HCQ and Ignores VA Secretary's Answer

The more President Trump praises it, the more the media have tried to vilify the drug hydroxychloroquine as an evil drug that will do more harm than good in the coronavirus fight. At his cabinet meeting on Tuesday, a reporter asked the president about the recent Veterans Affairs study that actually resulted in a higher mortality rate for patients on HCQ. Trump quickly refuted the claim. 

The study in question, Trump explained, was a "phony," for the drug was administered to people already in really bad shape and "ready to die." He added that the people who administered the drug were "obviously not friends of the administration."

When VA Secretary Robert Wilkie spoke up to correct the inaccurate media reports, Trump turned to the reporter who had posed the question and chided him for not paying attention.

When VA Secretary Robert Wilkie spoke up to correct the inaccurate media reports, Trump turned to the reporter who had posed the question and chided him for not paying attention.

"Can you hear him?" Trump asked the reporter. "Because I think it's important. Do you want to listen? Because I don't even think you're listening. Why don't you listen to him."

"That was not a VA study," Wilkie explained. "Researchers took VA numbers and they did not clinically review them, they were not peer reviewed. They did not even look at the various comorbidities the patients that were referenced in that study had."

Trump announced on Monday that he's been taking a dose of HCQ for 10 days now. Frustrated by the media onslaught about the drug, Trump mused that "if anyone else was promoting it they'd say it was the greatest thing ever."

Veterans Administration (VA) announced yesterday the study referenced by FDA and Whistleblower was not a study at all but anecdotal note that was full of flaws.  VA said they will make HCQ available to any vet that wants to take it.

Edited by BLA
  • Upvote 3

HQC, like most medication, is very dangerous if you use unsafely large dose, and if you use it for people with some conditions.   And you need some monitoring.  Since the virus is less than five months in wide circulation, there was no time for any "proper studies".

The idea if ingesting a disinfectant may have merit.  Not every disinfectant is safe for internal use, but ethanol is.  Again, an overdose can be dangerous.  About the experience in COVID-19 context, Russia has low mortality among the infected people, and the use of ethanol in case of cold has the status of "widely used folk medicine".  It is important to use it in sufficient concentration, e.g. chill the bottle and avoid ice in the drink.  Elderberry is another folk medicine for common cold (and few others).

• Like 1

(edited)

1 hour ago, Piotr Berman said:

HQC, like most medication, is very dangerous if you use unsafely large dose, and if you use it for people with some conditions

The same can be said for Vitamin D.  Find a better talking point; this one has been beaten to death.

Edited by Dan Warnick
Remove unflattering childish name-calling.

2 minutes ago, Dan Warnick said:

The same can be said for Vitamin D, dipstick.  Find a better talking point; this one has been beaten to death.

I tried to suggest that the studies that "showed that HQC is unsafe" were using it in patients in late stages, when it is known not to help, or with a large overdose, double or triple the maximum that was recommended for decades.  

Concerning Trump being medicated, that may have SOME sense, because one of reasons for interest in HQC was a Chinese observation that people taking long-term HQC medication for lupus had much better chances with COVID-19.  There were also studies that taking zinc supplements decreases incidents of pneumonia, no HQC was used in the study I read about, so I think zinc does not need HQC to enter cells.

Concerning taking ethanol, as long as you do not overdose and tolerate it well...

• Like 2

(edited)

50 minutes ago, Piotr Berman said:

I tried to suggest that the studies that "showed that HQC is unsafe" were using it in patients in late stages, when it is known not to help, or with a large overdose, double or triple the maximum that was recommended for decades.  

Concerning Trump being medicated, that may have SOME sense, because one of reasons for interest in HQC was a Chinese observation that people taking long-term HQC medication for lupus had much better chances with COVID-19.  There were also studies that taking zinc supplements decreases incidents of pneumonia, no HQC was used in the study I read about, so I think zinc does not need HQC to enter cells.

Concerning taking ethanol, as long as you do not overdose and tolerate it well...

Fair enough.  I did not get your intended meaning.  Sorry for the childish name-calling, which I have removed.

Edited by Dan Warnick
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Uvuvwevwevwe Onyetenyevwe Ugwemuhwem Osas said:

Don't believe the paid state-sponsored trolls who know nothing about medicine and will say anything
to trash Trump.

https://youtu.be/5i4BpTcBdrc?t=718

But, only 100's of MILLIONS of doses administered!  There was a guy in Timbuktu whose mother knew a lady that worked for a family, that got a postcard from a businessman on a trip to Foragasriatiopolis, that heard about someone that had some "trouble" with a dose of what may have been what you are talking about.  What was the name of it again?  Oh, well maybe that wasn't it, but then again maybe it was!

• Haha 1

(edited)

5 hours ago, Uvuvwevwevwe Onyetenyevwe Ugwemuhwem Osas said:

Don't believe the paid state-sponsored trolls who know nothing about medicine and will say anything
to trash Trump.

https://youtu.be/5i4BpTcBdrc?t=718

"Argumentum ad YouTube tries to convince viewers with the presentation, instead of the arguments — which is why it’s the favoured medium for conspiracy theorists. It’s why claims of 5G towers causing Covid-19 tend to be presented in video, rather than written form — it’s vastly better for convincing the gullible.

[...]

Refusing to put your supposedly killer argument in easily-dissectable written form is a standard hallmark of flimflam artists and gibbering nutters — set out your arguments if you’ve got ’em. [The Atlantic]"

https://davidgerard.co.uk/blockchain/2020/05/21/news-drm-on-jpeg-images-on-the-blockchain-blockfi-user-data-breached-tornadocash-mixer-goes-full-dao-the-plant-cuttings-asset-bubble/

The Reason Conspiracy Videos Work So Well on YouTube
https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2019/02/reason-conspiracy-videos-work-so-well-youtube/583282/

Edited by Jim Profit

China, Iran and Russia are using the coronavirus crisis to launch a propaganda and disinformation onslaught against the United States, the State Department warns in a new report.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/21/russia-china-iran-disinformation-coronavirus-state-department-193107

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

(edited)

1 hour ago, Uvuvwevwevwe Onyetenyevwe Ugwemuhwem Osas said:

China, Iran and Russia are using the coronavirus crisis to launch a propaganda and disinformation onslaught against the United States, the State Department warns in a new report.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/21/russia-china-iran-disinformation-coronavirus-state-department-193107

From the article.. Some people here are parroting Russian propaganda.

" A website run by Russia’s Defense Ministry, for instance, highlights the conspiracy theory that billionaire Bill Gates played a role in creating the virus."
"On March 3, a media company controlled by Russia’s armed forces ZVEZDA ran a story headlined “Bill Gates, a secret laboratory and a conspiracy of pharmaceutical companies: who can benefit from coronavirus.”

Edited by Jim Profit
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Uvuvwevwevwe Onyetenyevwe Ugwemuhwem Osas said:

Interesting.  But when I read the article it didn't sit well with me that the reporter(s) said all this information came from an "unpublished" report.  So I did a little more clicking until I got right down into the State Department briefings, and that's where I found a briefing by Lea Gabrielle on this very subject.  It turns out the briefing was actually on March 27th and it is contained in the link below.  There is also a newer briefing, carried out on May 8th that focuses more specifically in the joint efforts of China and Russia in the campaign of propaganda and disinformation, and it is at the link as well.  Very interesting reading.

U.S. Department of State, Global Engagement Center, Briefings

The Special Envoy and Coordinator of The Global Engagement Center, U.S. Dept. of State, has a pretty remarkable background, worth checking out.

Bio: Lea Gabrielle SPECIAL ENVOY AND COORDINATOR OF THE GLOBAL ENGAGEMENT CENTER

and

Google Search: Lea Gabrielle

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

STOP THE PRESSES

Huge observational study published in The Lancet on 96,032 COVID-19 patients including 14,888 treated with hydroxychroloquine or Chloroquine wih or without AZ showing no benefit against COVID-19 but significant increase of serious adverse cardiac effects.

Significant increase in death (~35%) and >2-fold increase of serious heart arrhythmias.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31180-6/fulltext

(edited)

15 hours ago, Piotr Berman said:

HQC, like most medication, is very dangerous if you use unsafely large dose, and if you use it for people with some conditions.   And you need some monitoring.  Since the virus is less than five months in wide circulation, there was no time for any "proper studies".

The idea if ingesting a disinfectant may have merit.  Not every disinfectant is safe for internal use, but ethanol is.  Again, an overdose can be dangerous.  About the experience in COVID-19 context, Russia has low mortality among the infected people, and the use of ethanol in case of cold has the status of "widely used folk medicine".  It is important to use it in sufficient concentration, e.g. chill the bottle and avoid ice in the drink.  Elderberry is another folk medicine for common cold (and few others).

Ethanol has no disinfectant properties until high % levels - you would be long dead.

Some liquors have herbal additives that could, in theory, help; and a little bit of a buzz may make you feel better.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chartreuse_(liqueur)

I have an antique medical text (1902), many if not all the "potions" described within contained some alcohol. Many of them certainly made people more sick. Scary stuff in the days before antibiotics:

"One drachm of the chloride of arsenic,10 drops tincture of newt, in two ounces warm brandy.  Take twice daily."

Edited by Enthalpic
  • Like 1

VA Secretary: On Any Given Day, the VA Uses 42,000 Doses of Hydroxychloroquine

VA Secretary Robert Wilkie said Tuesday that the Defense Department and the VA have been using the drug hydroxychloroquine for decades, and on any given day, the VA uses 42,000 doses of the drug.

During a White House cabinet meeting, Wilkie disputed the depiction of a study published last month of the anti-malaria drug which President Donald Trump has touted as a possible treatment for COVID-19.

“I want to clear up something that the media has not reported accurately. That was not a VA study,” Wilkie said.

The secretary’s comments come one day after Trump announced that he has been taking the drug under a doctor’s supervision.

“Researchers took VA numbers, and they did not clinically review them. They were not peer-reviewed. They did not even look at what the president just mentioned. The various co-morbidities that the patients who were referenced in that study had. I also want to echo what the secretary of HHS said,” said Wilkie.

“The instructions I received from the president were very clear. That was to preserve and protect life. Those of us who’ve had a military life, some of us around this table, we’ve been taking this drug for years. As the president mentioned, the Department of Defense and VA have been using it for 65 years. On any given day, VA uses 42,000 doses of this drug, and what we did when this virus first hit us was to use every means necessary to help preserve life,” he said.

“We believe that the Congress was right and the president signed a legislation to protect life - the right to try. We did this in consultation, not only with the families of those veterans, but we did this in consultation with our doctors under FDA guidelines,” the secretary said.

“So I want to knock down the phony story that this is somehow the VA going back on what the president told us to do, which was to use every means possible to protect and preserve the lives of our veterans. I think as the president mentioned, we’ve seen it in many cases across this country. In fact, I was on the news the day that the governor of New York was asking for tens of thousands of doses. So we are doing everything we can to protect the lives of our veterans, and this is one of the means that we use,” Wilkie said.

The study, which has been reported by the media to be a VA study, was paid for by grants from the National Institutes of Health and the University of Virginia, but has not been peer-reviewed.

“We performed a retrospective analysis of data from patients hospitalized with confirmed SARSCoV-2 infection in all United States Veterans Health Administration medical centers until April 11, 2020. Patients were categorized based on their exposure to hydroxychloroquine alone (HC) or with azithromycin (HC+AZ) as treatments in addition to standard supportive management for Covid-19,” the researchers said.

“The two primary outcomes were death and the need for mechanical ventilation. We determined the association between treatment and the primary outcomes using competing risk hazard regression adjusting for clinical characteristics via propensity scores. Discharge and death were taken into account as competing risks and subdistribution hazard ratios are presented,” they said.

“In this study, we found no evidence that use of hydroxychloroquine, either with or without azithromycin, reduced the risk of mechanical ventilation in patients hospitalized with Covid-19. An association of increased overall mortality was identified in patients treated with hydroxychloroquine alone. These findings highlight the importance of awaiting the results of ongoing prospective, randomized, controlled studies before widespread adoption of these drugs,” researchers said in their findings.

• Great Response! 1
  • Upvote 1

Hydroxychloroquine is a very valuable drug for Lupus patients, a serious condition for which the medical benefits largely outweight the side effects.

Jewish MD who promoted virus cocktail is leaving community where he tested it

Leaders of the Kiryas Joel community spoke out publicly against Zelenko in an open letter in March.

“We the undersigned institutions strongly believe that the predictions presented by Dr. Zelenko have been proven false and are not supported by the overall medical establishment, specifically in his wild conclusions as to the spread of the virus in our community,” the village’s office of emergency management, a partnership of several community organizations and government agencies formed to respond to the COVID-19 crisis, wrote in an open letter.

The letter was written to contradict Zelenko’s claims, which he promoted in videos posted to YouTube, that 90% of the Kiryas Joel community would be infected with COVID-19.

“These measures have, thanks to the Almighty, resulted in a rate of 90% of the community being healthy, the opposite of Dr Zelenko’s outrageous prediction of a 90% infection rate,” they wrote, referring to the closure of the community’s synagogues, schools, and other buildings.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/jewish-md-who-promoted-virus-cocktail-leaving-community-where-he-tested-it/

HCQ breakthrough: ICMR finds it’s effective in preventing coronavirus, expands its use

Three studies find that hydroxychloroquine reduces chances of contracting Covid, so ICMR allows more frontline workers to take it as a preventive drug.

New Delhi: The Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), the country’s apex body in the field, has found that consuming the drug hydroxychloroquine reduces the chances of getting infected with Covid-19.

As a result, ICMR released an advisory Friday to expand the usage of HCQ — an anti-malarial drug — as a preventive treatment against the novel coronavirus.

The conclusion has been drawn on the basis of three studies conducted by the ICMR.

The advisory suggests surveillance workers, paramilitary and police personnel, as well as medical staff working in non-Covid hospitals and blocks to start consuming the pill as “preventive therapy”.  ...

• Great Response! 2

1 hour ago, Tom Kirkman said:

VA Secretary Robert Wilkie said Tuesday that the Defense Department and the VA have been using the drug hydroxychloroquine for decades, and on any given day, the VA uses 42,000 doses of the drug.

During a White House cabinet meeting, Wilkie disputed the depiction of a study published last month of the anti-malaria drug which President Donald Trump has touted as a possible treatment for COVID-19.

“I want to clear up something that the media has not reported accurately. That was not a VA study,” Wilkie said.

The secretary’s comments come one day after Trump announced that he has been taking the drug under a doctor’s supervision.

“Researchers took VA numbers, and they did not clinically review them. They were not peer-reviewed. They did not even look at what the president just mentioned. The various co-morbidities that the patients who were referenced in that study had. I also want to echo what the secretary of HHS said,” said Wilkie.

“The instructions I received from the president were very clear. That was to preserve and protect life. Those of us who’ve had a military life, some of us around this table, we’ve been taking this drug for years. As the president mentioned, the Department of Defense and VA have been using it for 65 years. On any given day, VA uses 42,000 doses of this drug, and what we did when this virus first hit us was to use every means necessary to help preserve life,” he said.

“We believe that the Congress was right and the president signed a legislation to protect life - the right to try. We did this in consultation, not only with the families of those veterans, but we did this in consultation with our doctors under FDA guidelines,” the secretary said.

“So I want to knock down the phony story that this is somehow the VA going back on what the president told us to do, which was to use every means possible to protect and preserve the lives of our veterans. I think as the president mentioned, we’ve seen it in many cases across this country. In fact, I was on the news the day that the governor of New York was asking for tens of thousands of doses. So we are doing everything we can to protect the lives of our veterans, and this is one of the means that we use,” Wilkie said.

The study, which has been reported by the media to be a VA study, was paid for by grants from the National Institutes of Health and the University of Virginia, but has not been peer-reviewed.

“We performed a retrospective analysis of data from patients hospitalized with confirmed SARSCoV-2 infection in all United States Veterans Health Administration medical centers until April 11, 2020. Patients were categorized based on their exposure to hydroxychloroquine alone (HC) or with azithromycin (HC+AZ) as treatments in addition to standard supportive management for Covid-19,” the researchers said.

“The two primary outcomes were death and the need for mechanical ventilation. We determined the association between treatment and the primary outcomes using competing risk hazard regression adjusting for clinical characteristics via propensity scores. Discharge and death were taken into account as competing risks and subdistribution hazard ratios are presented,” they said.

“In this study, we found no evidence that use of hydroxychloroquine, either with or without azithromycin, reduced the risk of mechanical ventilation in patients hospitalized with Covid-19. An association of increased overall mortality was identified in patients treated with hydroxychloroquine alone. These findings highlight the importance of awaiting the results of ongoing prospective, randomized, controlled studies before widespread adoption of these drugs,” researchers said in their findings.

The truth will come out.  A number of the regulars here on Oil Price are often accused of not providing facts or sufficient references.  I counter that we provide reams of both, but those on the Left of the Forum don't like either, so they claim our facts and references are not true.  If the above statement by the chief of the VA doesn't sway you, you are a lost cause.  Wake up.  Those unicorns are all in your dreams.

• Upvote 2

More Evidence Hydroxychloroquine Is Ineffective, Harmful in COVID-19

Hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine, with or without azithromycin or clarithromycin, offer no benefit in treating patients with COVID-10 and, instead, are associated with ventricular arrhythmias and higher rates of mortality, according to a major new international study.

In the largest observational study of its kind, including close to 100,000 people in 671 hospitals on six continents, investigators compared outcomes in 15,000 patients with COVID-19 treated with hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine alone or in combination with a macrolide with 80,000 control patients with COVID-19 not receiving these agents.

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/931061

• Upvote 1

BTW no way Trump is taking that medication, it can easily kill you and Trump is a coward. He is lying, like almost every time he opens his mouth. It's easy money for Bauer, a gift to his rich friends in the pharma business. Alliances must be maintained. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 5/23/2020 at 12:54 PM, Tom Kirkman said:

Obviously that few of these 42,000 doses weren't used to cure covid-19..

"In the first week of May, 17 patients had received the drug for COVID-19, according to VA data obtained by the AP."

https://apnews.com/2edd19decf58ed921d9b7ba9f6a2b44e

Active cases 1,739

https://www.accesstocare.va.gov/Healthcare/COVID19NationalSummary

On 5/23/2020 at 11:06 PM, Yoshiro Kamamura said:

BTW no way Trump is taking that medication, it can easily kill you and Trump is a coward. He is lying, like almost every time he opens his mouth. It's easy money for Bauer, a gift to his rich friends in the pharma business. Alliances must be maintained. 

Bear with me, this a 2 part comment.

b48a23aaebfcb20f6d36dffb00fd6bac60206c2b8f1adc5cd61518287e59eed2.thumb.png.a2b8dad4022f4d9dd1c8d8516cb2bd80.png

WHO SUSPENDS trials of Trump-chosen hydroxychloroquine drug over SAFETY RISKS for Covid-19 patients

The World Health Organization has paused the clinical trials of anti-malarial drug hydroxychloroquine in coronavirus patients. It says the drug, notably taken and endorsed by US President Donald Trump, has raised safety concerns.
The drug’s safety data is being reviewed by a monitoring board, and the trials have been put on hold, the WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told reporters. It was being tested as part of the Solidarity international program aimed at tackling the Covid-19 pandemic.

The UN health body took the step out of an “abundance of caution,” said Mike Ryan, the head of the organization’s emergencies program.

==========================================

Hydroxychloroquine has been approved by the FDA since 1955.

https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cder/daf/index.cfm?event=overview.process&ApplNo=009768

It has been used since then, right?

The WHO has a list of Essential Medicines. WHO's own criteria for essential medicines are "Essential medicines are selected with due regard to disease prevalence and public health relevance, evidence of clinical efficacy and safety, and comparative costs and cost-effectiveness."

https://www.who.int/medicines/services/essmedicines_def/en/

So the medicines listed on the WHO list are supposed to be safe.

The list for 2019 then has Hydroxychloroquine on page 51.

https://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/handle/10665/325771/WHO-MVP-EMP-IAU-2019.06-eng.pdf?ua=1

p51.png.1f01476d1703aa99efdabee895aa0a2e.png

So hydroxychloroquine was safe from 1955 until 2019, then this year all of a sudden it became a very dangerous drug?

PDF attached of WHO's Model List of ESSENTIAL MEDICINES, see page 51 for hydroxychloroquine:

WHO-MVP-EMP-IAU-2019.06-eng.pdf

• Like 1

(edited)

33 minutes ago, Tom Kirkman said:

So hydroxychloroquine was safe from 1955 until 2019, then this year all of a sudden it became a very dangerous drug?

PDF attached of WHO's Model List of ESSENTIAL MEDICINES, see page 51 for hydroxychloroquine:

The list of essential medicines contains many very dangerous drugs.  Not a defence.

Edited by Enthalpic