Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ma

corn

I know its a little off topic for this site but I am from iowa and I farm, I cannot believe corn has not rallied, the last rally was 2 weeks ago when the usda announced a reduction of con acres by almost 2 million acres, the expectations are the lowest corn acres in like 20 years and the first time we are planning on less acres of corn than soybeans in like 20 years, now I know we have quite a bit of carryover (last years excess supply) but in the event harvest is delayed even 2 weeks that carryout will be a big issue, on normal years we usually have a few early birds have corn planted by now, at this point only like 75% of the fertilizer is in place, then there is chemicals for weed control which has not been done at all, final tillage which has not even been started and then planting which cant be done until soil temp holds above 50 degrees and all foreseeable threats of frost are off the calendar, so with the current forecast that is at least 2 weeks away putting the earliest planting into may, taking 2 weeks away from our growing season almost always prohibits the top 10 to 20% of yields so at some point a major rally is in the works for corn and beans will be brought along to a point , they have a ratio so they tend to trade in unisom unless Chicago really gets scared because farmers have to shift corn acres to soybeans because it gets too late on the calendar to get the corn in the ground which if there is no significant corn planting progress by the 1st of may Chicago wont be able to ignore this any more

• Like 1

saw this from today: 

Corn futures also firmed, following the rally in wheat, but
gains were capped by outlooks for warmer weather that will allow
farmers to make quick progress in planting in the coming weeks.

Soybean futures eased, with traders locking in profits from
gains early in the session amid ongoing concerns about an
escalating trade dispute with China cutting into exports to the
world's largest buyer of the oilseed.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1