Marina Schwarz

Forecasts Underestimate Renewables Growth

BP has admitted to a mistake in its latest Global Energy Outlook regarding the speed at which renewable energy capacity is being added. But it's not the only one: the European Commission and the IEA have also underestimated renewables adoption, particularly solar. Interestingly enough, even the pro-renewables camp has been erring on the negative side but their figures are apparently closer to reality. But, as one BP exec said, even in China solar adoption will some day slow down. That should be safe enough to assume, I guess.

For me, the question is why natural gas is not viewed as renewable. Everything that dies turns into natural gas (methane) soon afterward. Biogas is very simple to recycle. Natural gas is the best answer for cleaner air.It is cheaper and can fuel electric vehicles, natural gas vehicles, and even be made into gasoline if need be. 

• Like 1

On 4/27/2018 at 7:57 PM, ronwagn said:

For me, the question is why natural gas is not viewed as renewable. Everything that dies turns into natural gas (methane) soon afterward. Biogas is very simple to recycle. Natural gas is the best answer for cleaner air.It is cheaper and can fuel electric vehicles, natural gas vehicles, and even be made into gasoline if need be. 

According to EIA -  

Nonrenewable energy sources come out of the ground as liquids, gases, and solids. We use crude oil to make liquid petroleum products such as gasoline, diesel fuel, and heating oil. Propane and other hydrocarbon gas liquids, such as butane and ethane, are found in natural gas and crude oil.

On 4/27/2018 at 8:57 PM, ronwagn said:

Because while things can "make more" a particular batch (for lack of better word courtesy of my nontechnical brain) of natural gas can actually be "used up". Whereas wind and solar can be "used", yet nothing is taken away from the overall pool of wind. Using wind energy doesn't lessen the amount of wind available the rest of the world. 

I tend to view natural gas as renewable energy.

I grew up on a dairy farm.  The amount of natural gas that cows generate (from both farts and burps) is just staggering.

In the springtime, when new clover and greens grow, cows can literally eat themselves to death if you don't keep an eye on them.  The natural gas generated in their guts can make their mid section expand like a balloon.  When that happened, we would take a foot long piece of 316 SS tubing that was sharpened at one end (like a giant hypodermic needle) and jam it into their stomach to let the gas escape.  The side sticking out of the cow had a flared end, so it wouldn't worm its way all the way inside the cow's stomach.  Yes, it would hiss as the gas was deflated.  If you didn't do that, the cow would die a painful death indeed, ruptured insides, with digestive acid, um, you get the picture.

Anyway ... natural gas is newable energy, at least in my book.

• Like 1