Douglas Buckland

Enough is Enough...

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.”

George Orwell, 1984

Sounds familiar doesn't it.

In the UK it's looking like football hooligans are planning to 'defend' statues which means it's likely to kick off. All of this idiocy only serves to just polarise people to more extreme positions. Anyone who thinks this will stop after one or two statues is nuts, it will only get worse and worse and eventually cause a gigantic backlash which will end up hurting the people the 'left' claim to care about.

Sadly I think we're way past discourse because people have had their voices taken away and their vote has proved to mean nothing.

• Great Response! 3
  • Upvote 5

6 hours ago, Dan Warnick said:

Just because someone has them........

IMHO, the Japanese are some of the most lovely racists in the world.  Even though they are a dominant force when it comes to international trade, they largely do not teach the language of international trade.  This makes it difficult to bring in outside influence, or too much "mixing" of the "pure" Japanese race.  Their decision, but not one I would hold up as a good example for this question.

@Yoshiro Kamamura doesn't know anything about Japan. It's just a nom de guerre so we don't suspect he's another CCP lie. Of course he's failed in that, just like the other sock puppet accounts but they keep trying. 

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, Ward Smith said:

@Yoshiro Kamamura doesn't know anything about Japan. It's just a nom de guerre so we don't suspect he's another CCP lie. Of course he's failed in that, just like the other sock puppet accounts but they keep trying. 

Um, Ward, I was responding to @NickW and monuments or some such.  

Yoshi is a well known (fill in your favorite descriptor here).

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Douglas Buckland said:

Watching the news in Malaysia this morning I saw where the rioters in the US were pulling down the statues of Confederate veterans, defacing historic sites (including the Lincoln Memorial), and demanding that US miliary installations named after Confederate Generals be renamed.

In other news, British protesters and rioters were pulling down statues, defacing others (including those of Winston Churchil) and demanding institutions named after Cecil Rhodes be renamed.

Slavery was a horrible institution, most agree on that.,But it needs to be seen in the historical context it existed in. Furthermore, almost every society, at some point, kept slaves (including South America, Africa and the Middle East). Slavery was NEVER a solely ‘white’ institution.

The George Floyd/police brutality/racism narrative has now been highjacked. I have never owned slaves and neither have my ancestors. By the same token, no black alive today, in the US or UK, has ever been a slave in either the UK or the US.

I refuse to buy into the white guilt or white privilege trip - I have neither. I am seeing ‘black entitlement’, which is unearned.

I am to the point where I don’t give a rat’s ass about anyone who loots, burns down residences or beats people up for no reason. This is aggrevated robbery, arson and assault. I hope these people are arrested and prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

I am sick of these people trying to rewrite history because they are ‘offended’.

These rioters are entitled idiots have lost the plot and are doing more damage to their ‘cause’ than the Floyd murder created.

I have zero respect for these rioters and will not shed a tear when they get what they deserve...regardless of their skin color.

My mangina hurts. I can't bear watching people protest on television. They're tearing down statues of people I don't know in places I never go and I have feelings. I'm scared of white kids with skateboards breaking store windows thousands of miles away and I just need someone to hold me and tell me everything will be ok. 

• Downvote 1
  • Rolling Eye 2

9 hours ago, Yoshiro Kamamura said:

Considering the so called "Confederate generals", first of all, there was legally nothing like "Confederacy". Lincoln has won the election and abolished slavery (by the way later than Russia). The idea of one man whipping another to death to force him to work without compensation in inhuman conditions was found abhorrent, repulsive, archaic and unfit for modern, civilized society. After that, the southern plantation owners that depended on this inhuman institution rose up, weapons in hands, in an armed uprising, and became a bunch of criminals illegally occupying parts of the US territory. Those criminals were never recognized as a sovereign state. There was a war which these southern criminals lost, some of them were tried, and that was it. There is no reason there should be their statues anywhere. 

After the Revolutionary War, America was indeed organized as a "confederacy". The problems became evident thereafter as states in the "confederacy" enacted punitive tariffs to neighboring states to protect their own industry and raise revenues at the expense of those neighbors. It was determined that without central authority states had no reason to accept dictum from the Federal Government, such as it was. Hence the USA as we know it was born, as a representative democracy. 

People in the south to this day do not consider the Civil War to be about "slavery". History is written by the winners, not the losers so the narrative is that it was all about slavery. It wasn't. By the time of the Civil War, the entire economy of the south and its banking system was utterly entwined with slavery, since the value of them had gone up exponentially due to the British and other countries outlawing them. Without "imports" slaves were "home grown". Banks had loaned the equivalent of billions to plantations collateralised by slaves worth an average (then) of $3000 each. No slaves, no collateral, no solvency, no economy, or roughly exactly what happened after the war. 

Had the south won, Lincoln would have been found guilty of numerous war crimes. Even with the north winning, Lincoln was guilty albeit not charged nor convicted. 

History isn't my vocation, but it is my avocation. 

• Like 1
  • Great Response! 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, BradleyPNW said:

My mangina hurts. I can't bear watching people protest on television. They're tearing down statues of people I don't know in places I never go and I have feelings. I'm scared of white kids with skateboards breaking store windows thousands of miles away and I just need someone to hold me and tell me everything will be ok. 

You're in Seattle, just go downtown or capital hill. Experience it up close and personal. 

• Haha 3

52 minutes ago, Ward Smith said:

People in the south to this day do not consider the Civil War to be about "slavery". History is written by the winners, not the losers so the narrative is that it was all about slavery. It wasn't. By the time of the Civil War, the entire economy of the south and its banking system was utterly entwined with slavery, since the value of them had gone up exponentially due to the British and other countries outlawing them. Without "imports" slaves were "home grown". Banks had loaned the equivalent of billions to plantations collateralised by slaves worth an average (then) of $3000 each. No slaves, no collateral, no solvency, no economy, or roughly exactly what happened after the war. 

Had the south won, Lincoln would have been found guilty of numerous war crimes. Even with the north winning, Lincoln was guilty albeit not charged nor convicted. 

History isn't my vocation, but it is my avocation. 

• Haha 6
  • Upvote 1

It's been a heck of a distraction though.

By the way does anyone think the stock market is about to crash again?

I think things might be just starting to get interesting

(edited)

It would help if the police would do their jobs.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/chicago-cops-broke-u-rep-191648031.html

Instead of lounging around because they feel like entitled brats who are boo hooing because the media doesn't like them.  One wonders what they're being paid for.

Edited by Zhong Lu
  • Downvote 1

(edited)

Also, history isn't written by the winners (or the losers).  Both are dead of old age by the time it's written.  That's why it's called "history."  

Edited by Zhong Lu
  • Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Zhong Lu said:

It would help if the police would do their jobs.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/chicago-cops-broke-u-rep-191648031.html

Instead of lounging around because they feel like entitled brats who are boo hooing because the media doesn't like them.  One wonders what they're being paid for.

It would help if they worked for a boss (the mayor) who supported them instead of undercutting them at every turn

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, GunnysGhost said:

Did you miss it?  Because it just happened.

America just lost the 2nd Civil War.  

The reason you don't see it is because it didn't look like the last one.  But let me break it down:

- The 1st Amendment has been eradicated.  If you even try to say that rioters killing a black cop is equivalent violence to a rogue cop killing a black man, you are eviscerated and called a 'Nazi' by a cabal of Democratic Party and Corporately Owned Propaganda (Mainstream Media).   You will be banned from whatever social media they control (all of it).

Your opinion is now the property of 5 major media corporations.  That's fascism.  No question.  They won, you lost.

- The DNC (Minnesota AG) can call on a Militia of Antifact Fascists to burn cities down.  The compliant media comes up with the narrative that makes burning cities down 'justice' for [insert victim name here].    Is the Minnesota AG under arrest for directing a violent insurrection against the President?  Nope.  He won.  Winners don't get arrested for violence.

-  They did burn down your cities

-  They did kill your police officers

- Then, after they kill you police officers, the Narrative still is that police are the problem and they should be 'defunded.'  This offends so    many police that thousands walk off the job.  'Defunding' can simply include not restaffing those positions.  Don't buy the 'defunding doesn't mean defunding' crap.  Reallocating funds away from PDs is defunding.  The end. 

So a terrorist organization can take orders from the Democratic Party (fact), attack the United States and its Public Defenders (fact), and in the end we're negotiating how much 'defunding' is okay and 'this is a bad idea' is the worst anyone is saying.... to the terrorists.

This is like being on the losing side of the Treaty of Versailles:  "You cannot have a Navy, You cannot have an Army, You cannot have an Airforce, and we promise not to kill you".   Even 'conservatives' are obeying the terms of the terrorits' ceasefire.

Patriotic Americans are like Iranian women after the fall of the Shah.  "Just put your headscarves on girls and don't ask to go to school.  If we do, they'll get violent." 

If your enemy is willing to get violent and you'll appease them so that they don't, YOU have just legitimized terrorism. 

Don't believe me?  Wave an American flag in Seattle, Portland, Chicago, NY, DC but not from behind a barricade.  You are in occupied territory and may be maimed or killed.  For NOT waving the Antifa flag.  Fact. 

They are not the Union.  The Union flies the American Flag.  The Confederate Flag is flown by like 20 people.  It's irrelevant.  The new Army (call them soyboys if you want) fighting against the Union flies the Antifa Flag.  They just kicked your teeth in. 

Burned your cities.

Killed your cops.

Danced on their graves.

Forced thousands to resign.

Permanent narrative is that 'police are the problem.'  It only gets worse from here. 

Am I not getting through yet?  They won. 

We live under a failed terrorist state.  No, Donald Trump is not the leader of it.  We now live in a world where the US President is not the most powerful man in the world.  The Globalist Cabal just kicked his ass. 

The left just conquered Free Speech on his watch.  It is now treasonous against your masters to support America.   George Soros is your lord and master.  All hail Soros.

The 2nd Civil War is already over.   Not having to cower with your American Flag in many corners of the United States will require further assessment.

The biggest problem I have with 'Patriots' and 'Conservatives' is that they refuse to believe anything other than 'We're winning!', 'We won!', 'We're gonna win!'   Not being able to identify when you had your ass handed to you doesn't bode well in poker or politics. 

I Believe we are in the opening rounds currently. There are way too many moving parts right now. I also believe the majority of the population is getting tired of the BS, just not saying it out loud, and when that dam breaks, watch out. If it stays at just simmering till Nov, Trump will handily Trump  as the majority speaks at the polls.If it accelerates, you will see the BS move into the suburbs and countryside, and there will be pushback. Most of your Gun toting population and veterans are there.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Yoshiro Kamamura said:

Even if you don't own any slaves personally, you still benefit from an environment where white and black races have unequal opportunities, receive unequal pay and are not equally accepted by the majority of the society (all documented facts). 

Considering the so called "Confederate generals", first of all, there was legally nothing like "Confederacy". Lincoln has won the election and abolished slavery (by the way later than Russia). The idea of one man whipping another to death to force him to work without compensation in inhuman conditions was found abhorrent, repulsive, archaic and unfit for modern, civilized society. After that, the southern plantation owners that depended on this inhuman institution rose up, weapons in hands, in an armed uprising, and became a bunch of criminals illegally occupying parts of the US territory. Those criminals were never recognized as a sovereign state. There was a war which these southern criminals lost, some of them were tried, and that was it. There is no reason there should be their statues anywhere. 

Contemporary Germany also does not have statues of Hitler, Goebbels, or an university of Dr. Mengele anywhere. Yes, those people were a part of German history, but that does not mean they deserve to be glorified. If I saw a statue of someone who whipped my grandmother do death, I would also demand such statue to be torn down. 

ABSOLUTELY NOT.

If you assign blame or victimhood by race then YOU ARE A RACIST.

Actual blame goes to those who act in racist ways and the victims are the particular people who are victimized by it. Collectivities do not apply here. It isn't white people that are racist because they are white, it is racists who are so by their actions, regardless of their own race.

There is no relevance to statistics in this conversation. Actual causes matter, implied ones like "white privilege" have no bearing and are artifacts of Marxist analysis. It is a Leninist verdict of guilt by class. All who fight racism MUST abandon this line of thinking. Deal with the reality, cops stop black motorists to the point of a daily harassment for many, are they racist? plenty of them are, but their main goal is to make a drug bust and gain a promotion as a result. They read the statistics on what drivers and what sort of cars that were stopped produced a criminal conviction - a self reinforcing proposition.. That results in "profiling" which despite being illegal in most places, is still being conducted. 

It is odd to me that the Confederate monuments stayed well past the Civil War's end. The symbolism of them means different things to different groups, for the Southerners it is about the fight for the superiority of state's rights against the Federal government, for blacks and the civil rights movement and Marxists, they are symbols of slavery. Both, of course, are correct. It is a question now of communities deciding how to provide both communities with the best compromise, keeping these symbols in public places does not seem like a compromise. Neither is demolishing and pulling them down. Be adults and find a solution that works.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, El Nikko said:

It's been a heck of a distraction though.

By the way does anyone think the stock market is about to crash again?

I think things might be just starting to get interesting

It just did.

The air conditioning virus outbreak is in full force. The people going into the cool need to wear the best masks they can obtain. It is exactly the most transmission promoting circumstance for aerosol borne viral infection, and only exceeded by being face to face in a crowded subway or bus. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Douglas Buckland said:

Watching the news in Malaysia this morning I saw where the rioters in the US were pulling down the statues of Confederate veterans, defacing historic sites (including the Lincoln Memorial), and demanding that US miliary installations named after Confederate Generals be renamed.

In other news, British protesters and rioters were pulling down statues, defacing others (including those of Winston Churchil) and demanding institutions named after Cecil Rhodes be renamed.

Slavery was a horrible institution, most agree on that.,But it needs to be seen in the historical context it existed in. Furthermore, almost every society, at some point, kept slaves (including South America, Africa and the Middle East). Slavery was NEVER a solely ‘white’ institution.

The George Floyd/police brutality/racism narrative has now been highjacked. I have never owned slaves and neither have my ancestors. By the same token, no black alive today, in the US or UK, has ever been a slave in either the UK or the US.

I refuse to buy into the white guilt or white privilege trip - I have neither. I am seeing ‘black entitlement’, which is unearned.

I am to the point where I don’t give a rat’s ass about anyone who loots, burns down residences or beats people up for no reason. This is aggrevated robbery, arson and assault. I hope these people are arrested and prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

I am sick of these people trying to rewrite history because they are ‘offended’.

These rioters are entitled idiots have lost the plot and are doing more damage to their ‘cause’ than the Floyd murder created.

I have zero respect for these rioters and will not shed a tear when they get what they deserve...regardless of their skin color.

"Slavery was NEVER a solely ‘white’ institution."   True.  Slavery dates back to biblical times.  It was replaced by indentured serfs, which continues to this day in the form of debt-indentured peoples.

And regarding looters, seems you wish to see the full extent of the law brought upon the looters. Not so long ago, you were criticising the HK and China govts for their warnings to use full extent against such looters and to contain the protests because "enough is enough".  I wonder what your reaction will be if and when the US "protestors" raise the flag of some foreign country? 

So maybe we have some things in common after all?  You wish to see the US demonstrations contained, the riots cease, and the rioters brought to lawful account.  The Chinese people wish to see the HK demonstrations contained, the riots cease, and the rioters brought to lawful account. 

• Great Response! 1
  • Rolling Eye 1

15 hours ago, Douglas Buckland said:

Unlike yourself, I was not creating a narrative and was simply adding to an earlier comment made by someone else:

”Interestingly in Islam there is a verse that says 'you can't hold a son responsible for the sins of his Father'“

This was meant to show that Islam mirrors Christianity in this issue....asshole.

There you go again to start open hostility against any and all who expose your ignorance.  Were you never taught in childhood... if you can't say something nice, then don't say anything?   tsk, tsk. 

14 hours ago, Douglas Buckland said:

General Orders No. 100 : The Lieber Code  

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE GOVERNMENT OF ARMIES OF THE UNITED STATES IN THE FIELD  

Prepared by Francis Lieber, promulgated as General Orders No. 100 by President Lincoln, 24 April 1863.

Instructions for the Government of Armies of the United States in the Field, prepared by Francis Lieber, LL.D., Originally Issued as General Orders No. 100, Adjutant General's Office, 1863, Washington 1898: Government Printing Office. 

Art. 82.

Men, or squads of men, who commit hostilities, whether by fighting, or inroads for destruction or plunder, or by raids of any kind, without commission, without being part and portion of the organized hostile army, and without sharing continuously in the war, but who do so with intermitting returns to their homes and avocations, or with the occasional assumption of the semblance of peaceful pursuits, divesting themselves of the character or appearance of soldiers - such men, or squads of men, are not public enemies, and, therefore, if captured, are not entitled to the privileges of prisoners of war, but shall be treated summarily as highway robbers or pirates. 

Art. 83.

Scouts, or single soldiers, if disguised in the dress of the country or in the uniform of the army hostile to their own, employed in obtaining information, if found within or lurking about the lines of the captor, are treated as spies, and suffer death.  

Art. 157.

Armed or unarmed resistance by citizens of the United States against the lawful movements of their troops is levying war against the United States, and is therefore treason.

Lincoln:
Art. 157.
Armed or unarmed resistance by citizens of the United States against the lawful movements of their troops is levying war against the United States, and is therefore treason.

The People:
In CONGRESS, July 4, 1776.
The unanimous Declaration of the thirteen united States of America,
"When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation. ...

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, …

But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, … , it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."

Thus we see Lincoln was the first to usurp the USA Constitution. By conscripting young men and sending them to a fight to their deaths, he violated the most basic human rights of Life and Liberty. 

From an open letter Lincoln wrote in August 1862 to New-York Tribune editor Horace Greeley, who had recently published an editorial criticizing Lincoln for being strangely and disastrously remiss in efforts to emancipate slaves… to quote Lincoln: “My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery.” 

Thus Lincoln could care less about the coloured slaves: they were a non-entity in his drive to save the Union. 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, 0R0 said:

It just did.

The air conditioning virus outbreak is in full force. The people going into the cool need to wear the best masks they can obtain. It is exactly the most transmission promoting circumstance for aerosol borne viral infection, and only exceeded by being face to face in a crowded subway or bus. 

Well this is going to be fun

Could I interest you in some Hertz shares, they've been performing very well the last week or two 😂

Where I live we don't have an economy anymore and all over 300 deaths in the entire region.

• Like 1

(edited)

5 minutes ago, Hotone said:

Looking thru the list of 80  statues that have been targeted to be "removed", it looks like British history (for better or for worse) is being wiped out 🤔

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8410071/Proud-working-class-woman-campaign-remove-Baden-Powell-statue-Corbyns-candidate.html

29449888-8410071-The_next_in_line_BLM_supporters_have_pinpointed_a_list_of_their_-a-4_1591871074429.jpg

They've been at this for a few years now.

Ironically the people who started it were students (of all colours) at Oxford University which is one of the top two universities in the UK and extremely prestigious, these people are about as privilaged as you can get.

Unfortunately these privilaged fools don't realise they are rubbing up a large percentage of our population the wrong way. They are white, poor and have very little chance of getting a taste of such oportunities but they are proud as hell of their history, their flag and the like. They are most likely going to head down to where the statues are looking for a fight very soon and it will get very very ugly.

Edited by El Nikko
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

(edited)

P.s @Hotone

We already know (the working class especially) that our history is checkered and don't need telling especially not by privilaged students

It wasn't that long ago that our country sent prisoners to Australia and the US as pretty much slave labour, they turned machine guns on the coal miners, had kids working in mines, sent young poor men/boys to their deaths as conscripts in multiple wars and so on and so one.

I don't see this sort of thing as racial and I would even include slavery in that (which was banned in Britain btw). This is what wealthy, powerful and unscrupulous people (of all races) do to other human beings when they get the chance and aren't scared of a backlash.

A very sad state of affairs but nothing surprises me anymore...the elites will probably be enjoying the show while breathing a sigh of relief that no one is burning their homes down.

Edited by El Nikko
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 0R0 said:

ABSOLUTELY NOT.

If you assign blame or victimhood by race then YOU ARE A RACIST.

Actual blame goes to those who act in racist ways and the victims are the particular people who are victimized by it. Collectivities do not apply here. It isn't white people that are racist because they are white, it is racists who are so by their actions, regardless of their own race.

There is no relevance to statistics in this conversation. Actual causes matter, implied ones like "white privilege" have no bearing and are artifacts of Marxist analysis. It is a Leninist verdict of guilt by class. All who fight racism MUST abandon this line of thinking. Deal with the reality, cops stop black motorists to the point of a daily harassment for many, are they racist? plenty of them are, but their main goal is to make a drug bust and gain a promotion as a result. They read the statistics on what drivers and what sort of cars that were stopped produced a criminal conviction - a self reinforcing proposition.. That results in "profiling" which despite being illegal in most places, is still being conducted. 

It is odd to me that the Confederate monuments stayed well past the Civil War's end. The symbolism of them means different things to different groups, for the Southerners it is about the fight for the superiority of state's rights against the Federal government, for blacks and the civil rights movement and Marxists, they are symbols of slavery. Both, of course, are correct. It is a question now of communities deciding how to provide both communities with the best compromise, keeping these symbols in public places does not seem like a compromise. Neither is demolishing and pulling them down. Be adults and find a solution that works.

Be adults and find a solution that works.

ok, so what is your solution?

2 hours ago, El Nikko said:

They've been at this for a few years now.

Ironically the people who started it were students (of all colours) at Oxford University which is one of the top two universities in the UK and extremely prestigious, these people are about as privilaged as you can get.

Unfortunately these privilaged fools don't realise they are rubbing up a large percentage of our population the wrong way. They are white, poor and have very little chance of getting a taste of such oportunities but they are proud as hell of their history, their flag and the like. They are most likely going to head down to where the statues are looking for a fight very soon and it will get very very ugly.

I don't really get it. Isn't history that  gave them any sort of privilage in the first place?  And why should anyone use the current morale standards to judge people in history? If they feel any obligation to do the right things shouldn't they donate everything they got from privilage?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Douglas Buckland said:

You may have just broken a record for high praise on this site!

12 hours ago, El Nikko said:

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.”

George Orwell, 1984

Sounds familiar doesn't it.

In the UK it's looking like football hooligans are planning to 'defend' statues which means it's likely to kick off. All of this idiocy only serves to just polarise people to more extreme positions. Anyone who thinks this will stop after one or two statues is nuts, it will only get worse and worse and eventually cause a gigantic backlash which will end up hurting the people the 'left' claim to care about.

Sadly I think we're way past discourse because people have had their voices taken away and their vote has proved to mean nothing.

Well, Brexit passed even though it was somewhat emasculated. Boris got it through but is now showing his progressive side. Huawei is being kicked out too though. It could have been worse IMHO.