Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zhong Lu

Corona Virus is Not Either/Or

(edited)

The standard Trump argument has been that shutting down the economy to prevent the spread of the corona virus is a bad idea.  The trade off is too great.  So the idea is to push for faster reopening.

This argument is flawed.  Corona virus is NOT either/or.  As long as infection rates are high, the economy will NEVER recover.  People aren't going to travel or get out of their houses if they're afraid. So the faster you reopen, the more damage you do to the economy.  

This episode is just another example of how Trump screws over his own base.  I wasn't too worried when Trump became president because I was confident his policies will screw over many of the people who voted for him, and since I didn't vote for him, I would be fine.  And so far I've been mostly right.  Trump is a greater threat to his "allies" then his enemies.  Just look at how farmers and manufacturers in Michigan, Iowa, and Pennsylvania are faring right now.  And look at energy prices and the state of the energy industry today.

Edited by Zhong Lu
  • Upvote 3

Trump does not entertain rational thinking. He cares only about his personal gain, not about how many people will have to die for it. He sees that if the economy stays shut down, he will be blamed for the loss of jobs and income, and won't win the elections. Therefore, he concludes his only option is to "ignore the virus", and "hope for the miracle". Of course it's criminally irresponsible and should be punishable the same way as when you let people drown for your own personal profit. Anyone who supports Trump and his criminally insane plan shares his portion of guilt, and can no longer be considered a decent human being.