9 hours ago, Enthalpic said:

The fine was primarily because they were negligent to survey the pipes.  "Call before you dig" is free in Alberta.

You can make them pay to fix the pipes, but no amount of money will being back to life the organisms they killed.

"killed by drinking water"... that says everything right there... HINT, get the damned chlorine out of your drinking water. But, can't because of idiot "regulations".  Never used to have so much chlorine in drinking water, people were just fine.  Idiots like you keep jacking up the regulations for ever increasing amounts of BS in our drinking water.  I'll place blame exactly where it belongs: On YOU the regulator demanding vast amounts of chlorine. 

As for the call before dig... sure, that lasts 2 seconds and first scoop of dirt and the lines disappear.  You the digging company, if any size, find your own lines using same tracert the service does and it happens on your time instead of whenever the service shows up or if they forget half the job site(seen that many times) and don't bother to use said service.  That service is for all the small guys.  You have to dig anyways in that spot.  You know the pipes are down there, everyone does, but you have to dig anyways.  They get snagged.  That is life, generally because you are trying to tie into them or bypass them.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Wombat said:

What about delivery vans? I hear that Amazon has just ordered 100,000 of them?

This is an area, electric makes sense and has made sense for decades now for UPS/FEDEX/DHL with the sole exception being WINTER killing the battery capacity.  Driving distance: Short.  LOTS Of start stop regenerative braking.   As for the say, NAPA service vehicle... Maybe, but the service trucks?  Probably.

But the ability to do is not the problem.  The problem is profitability of the company to MAKE said product in the first place.  To make said product it has to be UNIVERSAL solution for a multitude of different people and herein lies the rub.  Need an extra battery pack option which can be placed in different delivery vans WHEN needed and I see no one making said solution.  Or a compact ICE Generator which plugs in for those long distance trips or when you have lots of deliveries continuously 20 hours a day.  IF one did the later, this would cover a lot of your small tractors(truck and farm) which have to pull double duty as usually used in short duration, but can be long duration universal solutions.  As for big tractor trucks... yea, good luck.  Nicola etc who are making hydrogen fuel cells is the way forward unless we see a doubling jump in battery capacity density. If we see a doubling of battery density, then ships will be going electric and trains as well.  Leaving Aircraft as the holdout. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, footeab@yahoo.com said:

This is an area, electric makes sense and has made sense for decades now for UPS/FEDEX/DHL with the sole exception being WINTER killing the battery capacity.  Driving distance: Short.  LOTS Of start stop regenerative braking.   As for the say, NAPA service vehicle... Maybe, but the service trucks?  Probably.

But the ability to do is not the problem.  The problem is profitability of the company to MAKE said product in the first place.  To make said product it has to be UNIVERSAL solution for a multitude of different people and herein lies the rub.  Need an extra battery pack option which can be placed in different delivery vans WHEN needed and I see no one making said solution.  Or a compact ICE Generator which plugs in for those long distance trips or when you have lots of deliveries continuously 20 hours a day.  IF one did the later, this would cover a lot of your small tractors(truck and farm) which have to pull double duty as usually used in short duration, but can be long duration universal solutions.  As for big tractor trucks... yea, good luck.  Nicola etc who are making hydrogen fuel cells is the way forward unless we see a doubling jump in battery capacity density. If we see a doubling of battery density, then ships will be going electric and trains as well.  Leaving Aircraft as the holdout. 

In the case of vans, I imagine that fast-charger network could solve the problem? I have done some reading on electric ships, and I am afraid to say that they tend to have a range of just 50 miles, so battery density would have to increase by a capacity of 100. Having said that, anything is possible: 

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/The-Nano-Diamond-Battery-That-Lasts-For-28000-Years.html

I would love to know the potential energy density of the NDM versus lithium, and have some idea as to the cost curve, but even if it can't compete on either front, if an NDM is 5X the upfront cost but lasts 1000 times longer, then over the VERY long term, it is far cheaper for grid-scale storage. The sheer fact that we have now produced a battery with a life-span 2800X that of Lithium to me is quite inspiring. Makes me wonder what is possible on the energy density problem. I hear that graphene batteries are a possible solution, but once again, the cost is prohibitive. When I see videos of "dancing robots" on the internet, I do tend to wonder if the military already has batteries that are far more advanced than the Tesla battery, but have not been made available to the public at this stage. I suppose we might find out during WW3?!?

• Like 1

haters gonna hate 😂🤷‍♂️ I'll keep my job and my v8 cars thanks...I will not be driving a crapbox green new piece of junk...some have no idea about anything that goes on in the process out here, but believe every little thing to rundown an industry...o well, just like racists you will never change some minds, but yall go ahead and enjoy your oil by-products while running down the industry that provides them..Happy Labor Day from New Mexico FRAC site!! 😁😁

• Great Response! 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Wombat said:

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/The-Nano-Diamond-Battery-That-Lasts-For-28000-Years.html

I would love to know the potential energy density of the NDM versus lithium, and have some idea as to the cost curve, but even if it can't compete on either front, if an NDM is 5X the upfront cost but lasts 1000

This is not a battery.  This is a nuclear decay converter to electrical energy(really cool) and stores the energy in a piezo electric effect of the diamond matrix itself... AKA it is a capacitor.   Energy Density: Not specified.  NOT A BATTERY

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 9/3/2020 at 4:51 PM, ronwagn said:

No, you shouldn't believe that. The Demoncrats are out to destroy shale oil and gas. They want all windmills, solar and fairy tales. The ones you like to spout. 

Now you know the largest expansion of oil and gas in US history happened on Obama’s watch.

5 hours ago, Wombat said:

In the case of vans, I imagine that fast-charger network could solve the problem? I have done some reading on electric ships, and I am afraid to say that they tend to have a range of just 50 miles, so battery density would have to increase by a capacity of 100. Having said that, anything is possible: 

I would love to know the potential energy density of the NDM versus lithium, and have some idea as to the cost curve, but even if it can't compete on either front, if an NDM is 5X the upfront cost but lasts 1000 times longer, then over the VERY long term, it is far cheaper for grid-scale storage. The sheer fact that we have now produced a battery with a life-span 2800X that of Lithium to me is quite inspiring. Makes me wonder what is possible on the energy density problem. I hear that graphene batteries are a possible solution, but once again, the cost is prohibitive. When I see videos of "dancing robots" on the internet, I do tend to wonder if the military already has batteries that are far more advanced than the Tesla battery, but have not been made available to the public at this stage. I suppose we might find out during WW3?!?

@footeab@yahoo.com beat me to the punch on the nano "battery". In fact its most logical application is nano machines, or pacemakers and the like where charging would be a nuisance. Taking their concept to utility scale would require more nuclear fuel (which is how it really works) than exists. It produces a tiny amount of power continually so if you could parallel enough of them in a cell phone, maybe you could get something like 5 extra minutes of power after your lithium battery died. Cell phones are power hungry pigs mostly because of the screen and radios.  These trickle power devices might have a use for low wattage LED lighting or something. Neat concept but not something I'd hang my hat on for the future. Interestingly it never showed up in my electronics magazines, but Kudos to their PR firm for getting all the publicity they have. Mislabeling it a battery was marketing genius to mislead people like you. That was intentional. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ward Smith said:

nano "battery". In fact its most logical application is nano machines, or pacemakers and the like where charging would be a nuisance.

Hi Ward. The lithium pacemaker usually works reliably for ~10 years. It can be interrogated regularly for a readout on remaining longevity. It only takes 10 minutes to replace the battery. Parenthetically, the EV craze has driven up the cost of pacemakers. We were told 30 years ago that the reason lithium pacers were so much more expensive was that lithium was a "Rare Earth Element."  

This is barely an oil forum anymore but pacemakers and oil, Minnesota and N.D. may have a great deal in common. Henry O. Bakken, the owner of the big H.O. Bakken well that named the basin, was originally from Maynard, Minn, while Earl Bakken constructed the first workable pacemaker and launched Medtronic, the largest medical device company. I'd never put that together before but both were Norwegian.  

Bakken=good surname to have. 

• Like 2
  • Great Response! 2

On 9/6/2020 at 9:36 AM, ronwagn said:

Global equality is best served by utilizing the vast and widely spread natural gas finds around the world. That is the best choice IMHO. Hydrogen is not a competitive idea except as a backup for intermittency or to feed into natural gas pipelines. Turning to it will be harmful.

I must interject here,global equity time has come and gone. Simply look at the world around us, it is in chaos

Over each country's right to act in its own best interest. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Wombat said:

The NDM is complete bullshit. I started a thread on it at:

Summary: the NDB purports to be a tiny RTG (Radioisotope thermoelectric generator). Any RTG must produce gamma radiation to operate, and all feasible RTGs also produce neutrons. Shielding gamma and neutrons requires mass: there is no magic that can reduce the amount of mass needed. You need about 4" of lead in all directions, so an RTG with size 0 can be shielded with a minimum of an 8" diameter lead ball.

I looked at the paper on their web site claiming it uses C14 which contradicts the paper linked from the OilPrice article which claims they use plutonium or uranium. ForC14, they claim their unit contains less C14 than the typical human battery. I did the math (see the thread). I got an thermal power output of 1 ten-thousandth of one trillionth of one Watt.  If someone wants to check my math I would be grateful.

44 minutes ago, Eyes Wide Open said:

I must interject here,global equity time has come and gone. Simply look at the world around us, it is in chaos

Over each country's right to act in its own best interest. 

Of course, each nation should dow what is best for them. What I get infuriated about is the Greenies who only criticize the west and never analyze the worst polluting countries in the world. Criticize us, but also criticize the worst polluters. Their best interest is also dependent on good relationships with the rest of the world.

I don't think the world is any more chaotic than it ever was. How do you think it was during WW1 and WW2. Compare the Spanish Flu to COVID 19. Most history books focus on wars as the central topics. 

9 minutes ago, ronwagn said:

Of course, each nation should dow what is best for them. What I get infuriated about is the Greenies who only criticize the west and never analyze the worst polluting countries in the world. Criticize us, but also criticize the worst polluters. Their best interest is also dependent on good relationships with the rest of the world.

I don't think the world is any more chaotic than it ever was. How do you think it was during WW1 and WW2. Compare the Spanish Flu to COVID 19. Most history books focus on wars as the central topics. 

Let the green movement expound on there virtues, as we speak the EU screams green, yet at the same time they cannot pay there own way.

Germany is a fine example Merkel is a very bad spot...it's her economy or her ideology...today she has to pay the bill and there is no longer any money.

Next stop the mfg ind is finally shutting down,and that will be end of windmills batterys and globalism.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, markslawson said:

Jay - again I strongly recommend you actually read the material you link, and then maybe think skeptically. This 27-fold increase in numbers in just five years - an unlikely figure - is just a projection and a drop in the truck market bucket. I found one old figure that there are 15.5 million trucks in the US. That's not counting pick-up trucks which would be classified as passenger vehicles. So much for the electric revolution and the end of oil. I learn a great deal from you Jay, I admit, but wouldn't you be better of on another site where the coming electric revolution is not confounded by people pointing to facts, and you are not shot down so easily? Anyway, I'll leave you to enjoy the e-revolution alone..    

Don't worry Mark I don't plan on abandoning you guys.  Way too much fun to see what silliness you guys come up with and I plan on continuing to teach about the power of exponential growth. The really interesting number is 800k, the number of new US trucks sold every year. By 2030 almost all of that number will be EV because the only sector that EV is not perfectly suited for is long haul. So every truck with a day cab is ripe for EV replacement very soon.

10 hours ago, Wombat said:

A natural gas truck is about one third the price (rough estimate) and longer lasting than a diesel or gasoline engine. I am looking forward to real records of overall cost of truck plus fuel for CNG trucks, LNG trucks, and electric trucks. Electric trucks for long mileage have to deal with a lot of batter weight, but may be fine for local runs. Presently CNG trucks are widely used for local routes of large fleets. 

23 minutes ago, Eyes Wide Open said:

Let the green movement expound on there virtues, as we speak the EU screams green, yet at the same time they cannot pay there own way.

Germany is a fine example Merkel is a very bad spot...it's her economy or her ideology...today she has to pay the bill and there is no longer any money.

Next stop the mfg ind is finally shutting down,and that will be end of windmills batterys and globalism.

The cost of energy is a major factor for any industrial nation to compete. That is why China will stick with coal. India and most areas of Asia that have abundant coal will be inclined to also. Europe made a major mistake when they let the greenies talk them out of fracking for their natural gas. Especially since they decided to close their nuclear plants simultaneously. They can import all the natural gas they want from all around the world though, and so can any other nation on a coastline, large river or with a pipeline. LNG by train might be competitive also. 

Natural gas comes out of the same rocks as oil and simply is the gaseous form of hydrocarbons.....

Fracking rock formations that contain hydrocarbons in the form of oil (the liquid phase) or natural gas (the gaseous form) has been done since the 1950’s

banning fracking will drive the domestic oil industry out of business and turn the control of energy to the Saudi Kings 

all to please Jay and his Green crowd

such nearsighted view and all to support a political party that simply wants power 

drive your EV and enjoy the New World Order!!!......No thanks!!

• Upvote 2

In other words 

Trump brought energy independence 

biden will bring energy dependence 

pick your choice Jay....!!!

• Great Response! 1

14 hours ago, Wombat said:

Oh yes, delivery vans can go electric. Milk delivery trucks in the UK use to be electric (milk isn't delivered to houses any more, so no vans). For certain applications the battery issue doesn't matter so much. But, again, it hardly counts compared to the vast numbers of conventional trucks on the road. 

15 hours ago, footeab@yahoo.com said:

"killed by drinking water"... that says everything right there... HINT, get the damned chlorine out of your drinking water. But, can't because of idiot "regulations".  Never used to have so much chlorine in drinking water, people were just fine.  Idiots like you keep jacking up the regulations for ever increasing amounts of BS in our drinking water.  I'll place blame exactly where it belongs: On YOU the regulator demanding vast amounts of chlorine.

I was never involved in drafting any regulations, and I only enforced environmental regulations, not drinking water regulations.

18 minutes ago, Enthalpic said:

I was never involved in drafting any regulations, and I only enforced environmental regulations, not drinking water regulations.

How does your rye crop look?  How about the canola?

I flipped the pan handler on the corner a ten spot today.  Figured the least I could do was get you a buck twenty eight for your response.

1 minute ago, Richard Snyder said:

How does your rye crop look?  How about the canola?

I flipped the pan handler on the corner a ten spot today.  Figured the least I could do was get you a buck twenty eight for your response.

I don't know if I should be scared or amused that this paid-agent fantasy is spreading.

It's funny to laugh at gullible idiots, but scary when those same idiots have a vote. 

What about the Rye and Canola?

8 hours ago, Gerry Maddoux said:

This is barely an oil forum anymore but

I hear you, but honestly, everything on my end is 100% wait and see(services).  So, honestly nothing to talk about or explore and nothing for foreseeable future.  I expect business to pick up in a big way if oil goes north of 50, but... Still in the 40's so I do not see my 2nd stream of income doing much in the coming year.  Especially with the entire world half standing still.  Eventually, people will open their eyes and say, gosh golly gee, we need MONEY which means WORK, not pie in the sky utopian resources falling out of the sky.  Even then, my side of the oil services only picks up lagged by 6 months or a year after the real oil guys(drilling/fracking) do their jobs so... The only good thing the Demonrats have done in my country is stop Trump from dumping the 2nd stimulus(theft) out the door or should I say third and lowered 2nd idiocy.  Should never have happened in the first place.  Frankly, the west is screwed.  Pile of cowards for the most part.  Only people I have much respect for are those telling the authoritarian cowards trying to *** potentially *** live 2 extra days to go F themselves. 

• Great Response! 1

(edited)

4 hours ago, Jimc said:

In other words 

Trump brought energy independence 

biden will bring energy dependence 

pick your choice Jay....!!!

It actually doesn't matter who wins, the cost curves will continue with only the slightest perturbation.  

This will no doubt blow your mind but the green new deal just takes a middle model of renewable economics and codifies it. In other words the exponential economists told them what the curves were pointing to and they made it their policy.

The shale oil revolution was a lie and not sustainable as it was completely based on debt and not profitable as an industry. US will have profitable and sustainable energy independence with solar, off shore wind, EV, and green H2, etc.

And let me also point out that even if solar and wind didn't exist we could power a country of EV's with 100% homegrown US gas.  How's that for energy independence? 

Edited by Jay McKinsey