Ward Smith

Kalifornistan, CO2, clueless politicians, climate hustle

These guys are gunning for the ultimate conspiracy!

The Democrats, FDA, WHO, CDC, BLM protesters, Climate change scientists, Covid epidemiologists, , Vaccine scientists (both covid and other),  are all one large group! 

What a laughable idea...

Keep adding to the pile guys! The joke just gets funnier! :)

My newest favourite by both anti-logic Ward and and anti-vax Tom is the notion that tailpipe exhaust contains no toxins!

30 minutes ago, Enthalpic said:

You must be kidding?  You are afraid of tiny amounts of toxin in vaccines, but think tailpipe exhaust is safe to breathe?

Combustion always leads to more than pure water and CO2, and that is with your rare element containing catalytic converter.

Yep, just about any time you heat air a lot (as in an ICE) you end with NO pollutants. Also NO2, and other oxides of nitrogen.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Enthalpic said:

You are afraid of tiny amounts of toxin in vaccines, but think tailpipe exhaust is safe to breathe?

What is the exhaust composition of ethanol?

How much mercury or aluminum or formaldehyde are you willing to inject into your veins?  10mcg?

Enthalpic, You show that you can not do even basic research.  You could had viewed what happens with ethanol instead of trying to use it as a tool to discredit...that is what trolls do.

By the way, I had a Biology Lab instructor who had to go to the surgeons 5 times to remove cancerous growths on her hands caused by the dissection lab specimens soaked in formaldehyde.  (Remember, I took all the same University classes as Pre-Med students.)

• Like 2
  • Great Response! 2

12 hours ago, Jay McKinsey said:

Waste Connections recently ordered two electric chassis from Lion Electric, which will be mounted with fully electric bodies manufactured by Boivin Evolution. The company also purchased a third electric body from Boivin, which is being mounted on a diesel chassis to run as a hybrid, said Waste Connections COO Darrell Chambliss. 

This marks a shift for Waste Connections, which has been running a fleet of around 1,100 CNG vehicles (11% of its fleet), but Chambliss and Vice President of Maintenance and Fleet Management Greg Thibodeaux have been looking for alternatives. In a sign of these shifting priorities, CEO Worthing Jackman recently dubbed CNG “just a stop on the way to EV” during a second quarter earnings call.

Thanks for the nice reference. I got into my old Alpha account. I will be very interested to follow the advances in all electric vehicles, hybrids, etc. Please post any new findings. I will keep pushing natural gas vehicles unless I get convinced that large electric vehicles make sense on a cost benefit ratio. I have heard of maintenance expenses related to natural gas vehicles but I think that is mainly because of lack of familiarity by mechanics who hate to have to deal with new technology. If electric vehicles have less maintenance expense and irritation that would be a big plus. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ronwagn said:

If electric vehicles have less maintenance expense and irritation that would be a big plus. 

They are absolutely less expensive than an ICE vehicle annually, right up until you replace the batteries, which on an expense basis is equivalent to swapping out the engine and transmission on an ICE. At that point, given that those replacements are extremely rare in ICE vehicles, it's game over for the comparison. Call it $1000/yr maintenance (which in 50 years of vehicle ownership I've never spent) for 7 years average ownership, versus $15,000 minimum for battery replacement. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

(edited)

9 hours ago, Ward Smith said:

They are absolutely less expensive than an ICE vehicle annually, right up until you replace the batteries, which on an expense basis is equivalent to swapping out the engine and transmission on an ICE. At that point, given that those replacements are extremely rare in ICE vehicles, it's game over for the comparison. Call it $1000/yr maintenance (which in 50 years of vehicle ownership I've never spent) for 7 years average ownership, versus $15,000 minimum for battery replacement. 

Warranties are ~10 years, 100,000+ Km. 

People with actual money, not pretend, don't drive old hand me down crap like you do. 

Carry on telling us how rich you are while driving the crappy used EV from your brother, and how you can't even live in your moms basement because she lives in a dilapidated senior home you can barely afford. 

Edited by Enthalpic

(edited)

3 hours ago, Enthalpic said:

Warranties are ~10 years, 100,000+ Km. 

People with actual money, not pretend, don't drive old hand me down crap like you do. 

Carry on telling us how rich you are while driving the crappy used EV from your brother, and how you can't even live in your moms basement because she lives in a dilapidated senior home you can barely afford. 

Actually some of us do.

If I divide all my investments* not including the house and pensions by the number of years (19) to my statutory retirement age it well exceeds my net income for the same period from my middle income job.

I drive a 12 year old Toyota Corolla 1.6L Hatch which was my late Fathers. 

* combo of working in oil for several years in the good times, good investment decisions, some inheritance and being a right  tight @rse😁

Edited by NickW
  • Great Response! 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

(edited)

On 9/24/2020 at 10:35 PM, Dan Clemmensen said:

Your entire extended post missed the point. My point was not that cars are a huge change from horses: they were, of course. My point is  that the change did not occur during the period from about 1880 to 1908, because cars were hand-built unreliable toys of the rich during that period, so horses were more cost-effective in that era. The change occurred very rapidly starting in 1908, because of the radical innovations and especially the cost reductions introduced by the Model T Ford. These were driven primarily by Henry Ford's emphasis on radical innovation in manufacturing. In real terms, the cost of the model T was reduced by a factor of about 4 over the years between 1908 and 1927.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Model_T

That article does not mention the struggles of the early adopters with finding gasoline for sale where they needed it. The gasoline infrastructure was built out during this period, thus reducing range anxiety.

We have not yet seen the EV equivalent of the Model T, but it's likely to arrive within the next 5 years.

Nope.  The point is that EV does not a watershed event make, such as horses to machines.  The fact that they went from a very involved mode of transportation, like the horse, to a fill up and go mode.  It was not a big deal to get gas, and you know it.  All they had to do was get themselves a barrel of it with a manual pump, and voila, filling stations anywhere immediately.  Trucks could even take a barrel or two with them.

Also, that it's not just about mass production of a vehicle thus lowering costs.  It is the assumption that an EV technology car is better than the existing technology car.  It's about going from having gas/diesel/LNG readily available for quick fill ups vs going back to a more involved technology, of having to park and wait for a charge.  Not to mention you can't just roll out a barrel with a hand pump.  Some new infrastructure is required, a lot of it in fact.

Oh, I know, you guys will not be deterred in your quest of EVs to replace the devil's own carbon monsters.  I wish you luck.  I just don't see EVs taking over the world, certainly not outside of major 1st world countries.

Edited by Dan Warnick
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, NickW said:

Actually some of us do.

If I divide all my investments* not including the house and pensions by the number of years (19) to my statutory retirement age it well exceeds my net income for the same period from my middle income job.

* combo of working in oil for several years in the good times, good investment decisions, some inheritance and being a right  tight @rse😁

@Enthalpic has gone off the deep end… again. What a sad little pathetic life he leads, his only joy being a troll on an oil forum where he parlays being a janitor in a government lab to pretending he was some kind of scientist. He can't stand that people like us are more successful than him, smarter than him and have better lives than him. Hence the constant trolling. I've got him blocked, as I'd recommend everyone do, so only see his insipid posts when he's quoted. 

My numbers are based on well known national averages including car ownership. The $1000/yr also an average. That his sub par intellect couldn't figure that out is no surprise. I'm glad for you Nick that you didn't spend all your money on wine, women and song, and squander the rest, so you've got something set aside. There's a lot in the patch who can't say that. 

I figured out a long time ago that buying used cars wasn't worth it. I like to drive a car off the showroom floor and know how every mile was treated. I also know how it was maintained. So I'm not contributing much to the averages. My oldest vehicle is a German sports car with about 40 thousand miles on it that's almost 20 years old. My other car is a 2019 Outback for which I traded in a 2018 Outback because the 19 had features the 18 didn't have. But the sad little troll living in his mommy's basement won't believe that, even if I took pictures. Sad, pathetic existence, but not my problem. He'll continue to follow me like the lost puppy he is, voting all my posts down pretending someone cares what he thinks. 

• Haha 3
  • Downvote 1

QUEUED VIDEO (10 minutes view time) of the evolution of oil or alcohol as a fuel.

(edited)

1 hour ago, Ward Smith said:

@Enthalpic has gone off the deep end… again. What a sad little pathetic life he leads, his only joy being a troll on an oil forum where he parlays being a janitor in a government lab to pretending he was some kind of scientist. He can't stand that people like us are more successful than him, smarter than him and have better lives than him. Hence the constant trolling. I've got him blocked, as I'd recommend everyone do, so only see his insipid posts when he's quoted.

The book about how little you care about me is going well?

Can you guys at least keep your lies about me consistent?  Or at least your own lies?

Question who has the better life. Answer, I do.

I went to court yesterday to defend someone else in their absence as an Agent (not attorney) and won so quickly it was boring.  Logic works, try it sometime. I got it quashed (better than dismissal) even with damning testimony from a pig.

Edited by Enthalpic
  • Like 1

(edited)

6 hours ago, NickW said:

Actually some of us do.

I too own some older vehicles, Toyotas almost last too long.

My 2010 Toyota Yaris is just over 100,000Km on it and has no issues; knowing Toyotas and how little I drive that thing it will outlast me. Either it or my partners 2007 Honda civic needs to die before we buy another vehicle.

The notion I have investments, worked for government, saved my money, and now don't work, is considered unbelievable by the poor wage slaves supporting trump.

Edited by Enthalpic

2 hours ago, Ward Smith said:

I figured out a long time ago that buying used cars wasn't worth it. I like to drive a car off the showroom floor and know how every mile was treated. I also know how it was maintained. So I'm not contributing much to the averages. My oldest vehicle is a German sports car with about 40 thousand miles on it that's almost 20 years old. My other car is a 2019 Outback for which I traded in a 2018 Outback because the 19 had features the 18 didn't have.

Take note, all of us commenting on our older working cars none of them were made in the USA.

• Like 1

(edited)

1 hour ago, Enthalpic said:

I too own some older vehicles, Toyotas almost last too long.

My 2010 Toyota Yaris is just over 100,000Km on it and has no issues; knowing Toyotas and how little I drive that thing it will outlast me. Either it or my partners 2007 Honda civic needs to die before we buy another vehicle.

The notion I have investments, worked for government, saved my money, and now don't work, is considered unbelievable by the poor wage slaves supporting trump.

Our other car is a 2013 Auris (Corolla) Estate Hybrid. At times I am tempted to buy a newer car but my wifes habit of reversing into  things (walls, other cars, bollards etc )  is a visual reminder of the penalties of owning a more expensive car.  The rear bumper looks like a blind cobblers thumb (its full of dents, scratched and is stitched together with epoxy glue and duck tape).

Edited by NickW
  • Haha 4

On 9/23/2020 at 10:06 PM, Dan Clemmensen said:

In 1905, gasoline automobiles were not economically viable. Only the rich used them and they were basically toys. The entire equestrian infrastructure laughed at them, and a substantial percentage of jobs (livery stables, horse dealers, hackers, farriers, and many more) were devoted to horses.  In 1908, Henry ford introduced the Model T. By 1925, horses ware basically gone from major cities.

A very illuminating point, note the time and place in history and the man who made that all possible. The gentlemans name was Ford if i recall, take notice to the foundation of his success...a viable market place, the rest is history.

https://www.npr.org/2014/01/27/267145552/the-middle-class-took-off-100-years-ago-thanks-to-henry-ford#:~:text=In January 1914%2C Henry Ford,economy driven by consumer demand.

• Like 1

(edited)

On 9/23/2020 at 10:21 PM, Jay McKinsey said:

Listen to yourself, you are defending car salesman as elite business people. The most poignant business decision they have made is to lobby the state governments into giving them a monopoly.

If they are so superior, why are they afraid to compete with direct sales?

Perhaps you might make the time to listen and reflect on yourself...as to these elite car salesman..n note to history.....https://www.npr.org/2014/01/27/267145552/the-middle-class-took-off-100-years-ago-thanks-to-henry-ford#:~:text=In January 1914%2C Henry Ford,economy driven by consumer demand.

Edited by Eyes Wide Open
  • Upvote 1
  • Rolling Eye 1

4 minutes ago, Eyes Wide Open said:

Perhaps you might make the time to listen and reflect on yourself...as to these elite car salesman..n note to history.....https://www.npr.org/2014/01/27/267145552/the-middle-class-took-off-100-years-ago-thanks-to-henry-ford#:~:text=In January 1914%2C Henry Ford,economy driven by consumer demand.

He'd be making EV's if he were alive today. Elon is today's Henry Ford.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jay McKinsey said:

He'd be making EV's if he were alive today. Elon is today's Henry Ford.

Why thankyou you are bringing some transparency to this conversation. Lets start at the top shall we..

Ford started a business model by CREATING a new standard of wages that allowed himself and a nation to prosper.

Musk created a commodity that is a leach on the nation....tax credits.

As of todate E/V tax credits has cost this nation well over two trillion in tax credits and for what?

Meanwhile international shipping is polluting 4000 time more pollution than all the autos in the world combined.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1229857/How-16-ships-create-pollution-cars-world.html#:~:text=The most staggering statistic of,fuel as small power stations.

EV's at this time simply are the bridge to nowhere.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Eyes Wide Open said:

As of todate E/V tax credits has cost this nation well over two trillion in tax credits and for what?

Can you provide any evidence to backup this claim?

23 minutes ago, Eyes Wide Open said:

https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/IF11017.pdf

A starting point Hybrids next....And the question remains for what?

You said in your post 2 trillion but what you meant was a whopping 2 billion. That is two billion that people didn't have to pay in taxes. Please note that it is non refundable and only applies to current year tax liability.

How Much Does the Tax Credit Cost? The JCT estimates that under current law tax expenditures, or forgone revenue, for the plug-in EV tax credit will be $7.5 billion between FY2018 and FY2022 (Figure 1). From FY2011 through FY2017, tax expenditures for the credit totaled $2.2 billion. Eliminating the per-manufacturer cap or otherwise expanding the credit would increase the tax expenditure estimate. Repealing the credit would r

5 hours ago, Enthalpic said:

Take note, all of us commenting on our older working cars none of them were made in the USA.

I have heard of American pickups or vans going 200 to 300 thousand miles with no major problems. 

The little stuff goes wrong and adds up, that's when we usually buy a new vehicle at about 130,000 miles on the old one. Actually we hand them down to our kids. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

How much have electric rates increased in Kalifornistan just in the past 20 years of meddlesome governance? How much higher will those rates rise by 2035 as they transition to an electric auto utopia? I'm betting another factor of 6. @Jay McKinsey neglects to factor higher electricity costs in his imaginary savings. I'm not even counting the future blackouts caused by further dim witted rules and regulations. 

• Great Response! 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ronwagn said:

Trucks hold their value way more than cars.

• Like 1

(edited)

3 hours ago, Jay McKinsey said:

You said in your post 2 trillion but what you meant was a whopping 2 billion. That is two billion that people didn't have to pay in taxes. Please note that it is non refundable and only applies to current year tax liability.

How Much Does the Tax Credit Cost? The JCT estimates that under current law tax expenditures, or forgone revenue, for the plug-in EV tax credit will be $7.5 billion between FY2018 and FY2022 (Figure 1). From FY2011 through FY2017, tax expenditures for the credit totaled $2.2 billion. Eliminating the per-manufacturer cap or otherwise expanding the credit would increase the tax expenditure estimate. Repealing the credit would r

Perfect let us clean this up a bit....It begins here....2.4 trillion out of the chute...more coming.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-03-31/investors-spent-a-record-2-trillion-on-renewable-energy

Let us go to vehicles sold..https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_electric_vehicles_in_the_United_States#/media/File:Annual_US_sales_HEVs_vs_PHEVs_2000_2019.png

My overly simplified 8th grade math...500 miliion by 4500 around gets right around 2.5 trillion...

I will openly state i have averaged out the 4500 number, make no mistakes here that is very low. I have not included state funny money is the word i will use..And more chump change to come.

800px-Annual_US_sales_HEVs_vs_PHEVs_2000_2019.png

Edited by Eyes Wide Open
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1