45 minutes ago, turbguy said:

That would be a helluva resistor!  Cooling would require the equal of say, another cooling tower, or cooling pond, more circ pumps, and BIG pipes and make up water.  All used very infrequently, costing $$$.  All requiring periodic testing.

"Transmission faults" take time to identify, troubleshoot and restore. And you STILL have to be ready for an internal generator or step-up transformer fault anyway.  When THAT happens, the Main Steam Stop Valves (actuality ALL steam turbine valves) slam shut, and the resistor would be unused. 

Large step/rapid changes in Rx power are difficult to control due to Xenon poisoning.   See:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenon-135  

That's one reason nuc plants don't "participate" in dispatch.  They run pedal-to-the-metal (except for periodic minor derates due to required on-line turbine valve testing and the like).

There are main steam bypass valves directly to the condenser on BWR's (not sure about PWR's),  but only designed for part-flow (say 20%?) used during starting, and taking a real wear and tear toll on the condenser as well.

Again, If the issue at South Texas #1 was the loss of a reactor feed pump (on the primary side), why that pump was not being supplied by the aux transformer.

I find most news reports about plant outages inaccurate, anyway.

Thanks that may explain the reason why it isn't done.

If you shut the steam off to a 1000MW / 500MW turbine how long does it take to decelerate down to zero? 

(edited)

16 minutes ago, NickW said:

Thanks that may explain the reason why it isn't done.

If you shut the steam off to a 1000MW / 500MW turbine how long does it take to decelerate down to zero? 

Typically coast-downs are about 45 minutes (or longer or shorter). It really depends on the condenser vacuum level.  If the operator "breaks" vacuum (opens a valve to atmosphere), it WILL be shorter.  If a good vacuum is maintained (shaft steam seals still operable because steam is still available from "somewhere", circ water pumps still operable), it could be longer.

Just keep that lube oil flowing, even low speed on turning/jacking gear, else heat flux from the hot rotors will melt the babbitt/white metal bearings.

Edited by turbguy
  • Great Response! 1
  • Upvote 1

(edited)

6 hours ago, NickW said:

Thats one paper written by a researcher. 

In any case if you read the text the predicted cooling will be  swamped by AGW driven rises. 

In effect it  will moderate temperature rises over the next 30 years rather than actually cool the earth. The other side of that situation is what happens after the earth comes out of the grand solar minimum? 

No Nick, not just one paper, but an entire school of scientists in Finland and Russia and Britain and U.S. who have published voluminous work in recent decades. And no again, there will be a cooling, just read the text.

We can now wait and see which climate model is valid, the global warming model or the global cooling model, that is how science works.

Edited by Ecocharger
punctuation

4 hours ago, NickW said:

The key research question here is

A: Did Al Gore actual state that?

B: Did Ron put that on a picture / pick up the picture from the internet?

You obsessed with conspiracy theories? Poor old Al Gore was never a scientist, just a political guy.

He just signed on to the wrong climate model.

(edited)

17 hours ago, Ecocharger said:

Nick, your material is out of date, new models are on the scene.

Here is one, showing a cooling phase of several decades starting now. This is currently the best explanatory model with a 94% success rate, far above the outdated models which the Biden folks are relying on.

Read again.

https://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7575229/

Edited by Ecocharger
location of link

8 minutes ago, Ecocharger said:

You obsessed with conspiracy theories? Poor old Al Gore was never a scientist, just a political guy.

He just signed on to the wrong climate model.

😀😀😀

Pot, kettle, black

Its you lot obsessed that AGW is some globalist / elitist / plot to impoverish you through taxes. 

I just think its unsporting to label people in such a way of they never said that. 

If Gore did say no snow by 2013 lets see the evidence please. 

4 minutes ago, NickW said:

😀😀😀

Pot, kettle, black

Its you lot obsessed that AGW is some globalist / elitist / plot to impoverish you through taxes. 

I just think its unsporting to label people in such a way of they never said that. 

If Gore did say no snow by 2013 lets see the evidence please. 

Al Gore was a generous supplier of hyperbolic overstatement, the likes of which I have never seen.  For him, the climate was an emergency alarm, going off every time he took the podium to screech out his message. You already know that, Nick.

7 minutes ago, Ecocharger said:

Read again.

Interesting that 1998 was near the solar minimum. For years denialists have been telling me that 1998 was the hottest year ever and it had been cooling ever since / its all solar related . 

1998 was an abnormally hot year (not the hottest on record) so clearly the 11 year solar cycle has little influence on global temperature .

I believe 2016 and 2020 are the hottest years on record  which are the peak and trough respectively. 

Hathaway_Cycle_24_Prediction.png

Just now, Ecocharger said:

Al Gore was a generous supplier of hyperbolic overstatement, the likes of which I have never seen.  For him, the climate was an emergency alarm, going off every time he took the podium to screech out his message. You already know that, Nick.

Linky please

12 hours ago, turbguy said:

Looks like the grid may have forced South Texas Unit #1 off.  Hard to tell from this report.  You would think that a reactor feedpump would be supplied by the housepower (auxiliary) transformer.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/energy/how-and-why-a-nuclear-reactor-shut-down-in-texas-cold-snap-when-energy-was-needed-most

I know some were hoping Texas would turn blue, but not like THIS!

As a native Texan, I can say that other native Texans do NOT want this liberal agenda.  No way.  We got our guns.

• Like 1

(edited)

3 minutes ago, NickW said:

Linky please

You provide one, for Al Gore they are all the same stuff.

And read the article I gave you, you seem to misunderstand again.

Edited by Ecocharger
sentence

1 minute ago, Tom Nolan said:

As a native Texan, I can say that other native Texans do NOT want this liberal agenda.  No way.  We got our guns.

That's fine.  I just do not know why the electric system should be subject to being defined as red or blue.  It's defined by MONEY!

You are claiming he said it. Its upon you to back it with evidence or I call BS.

I am happy to accept he did say this, subject to seeing convincing evidence. 

You post is a complete logic fail. How can I prove he didn't say something? 

Just now, NickW said:

You are claiming he said it. Its upon you to back it with evidence or I call BS.

I am happy to accept he did say this, subject to seeing convincing evidence. 

You post is a complete logic fail. How can I prove he didn't say something? 

All you have to do is quote ANY Al Gore speech, and see the hyperbole alarmism pouring out of it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ecocharger said:

BTW I am no fan of Al Gore. He is a politician and he is not the authoritative mouthpiece for the collective of people (the majority of this planet) who accept AGW theory. 

All you have to do is quote ANY Al Gore speech, and see the hyperbole alarmism pouring out of it.

Linky please

Just now, NickW said:

Linky please

You provide one...if you can. One is enough for Al, they are all the same.

1 minute ago, NickW said:

BTW I am no fan of Al Gore. He is a politician and he is not the authoritative mouthpiece for the collective of people (the majority of this planet) who accept AGW theory. 

He bears responsibility for whipping up alarmism to unprecedented heights in this country. The work of a politico.

It has happened before in other countries, a demagogue arouses public fears, the politicians take over.

This was the outcome of the civil legal case in the UK (Civil cases have a lower burden of proof for the plantiff who was challenging the showing of AG's film in schools) 

The Legal Case

The film is also subject to attack on the grounds that Al Gore was prosecuted in the UK and a judge found many errors in the film. This is untrue.

The case, heard in the civil court, was brought by a school governor against the Secretary of State for Education, in an attempt to prevent the film being distributed to schools. Mr. Justice Burton, in his judgement, ordered that teaching notes accompanying the film should be modified to clarify the speculative (and occasionally hyperbolic) presentation of some issues.

Mr. Justice Burton found no errors at all in the science. In his written judgement, the word error appears in quotes each time it is used – nine points formed the entirety of his judgement - indicating that he did not support the assertion the points were erroneous. About the film in general, he said this:

17. I turn to AIT, the film. The following is clear:

i) It is substantially founded upon scientific research and fact, albeit that the science is used, in the hands of a talented politician and communicator, to make a political statement and to support a political programme.

22. I have no doubt that Dr Stott, the Defendant's expert, is right when he says that:
"Al Gore's presentation of the causes and likely effects of climate change in the film was broadly accurate."

The judge did identify statements that had political implications he felt needed qualification in the guidance notes for teachers, and ordered that both qualifications on the science and the political implications should be included in the notes. Al Gore was not involved in the case, was not prosecuted, and because the trial was not a criminal case, there was no jury, and no guilty verdict was handed down.

(edited)

7 minutes ago, Ecocharger said:

He bears responsibility for whipping up alarmism to unprecedented heights in this country. The work of a politico.

It has happened before in other countries, a demagogue arouses public fears, the politicians take over.

Kinda sounds similar to events on January 6th, no?

Edited by turbguy
  • Haha 1
  • Rolling Eye 1

2 minutes ago, Ecocharger said:

See above

His film was examined in a court of law in the UK in a civil case trying to prevent it being shown in schools

A lot of expert opinion was sort and the conclusion was it was broadly accurate 

Case thrown out. 

Just now, turbguy said:

Kinda sounds similar to evens on January 6th, no?

Two wrongs make a right?

1 minute ago, NickW said:

See above

His film was examined in a court of law in the UK in a civil case trying to prevent it being shown in schools

A lot of expert opinion was sort and the conclusion was it was broadly accurate 

Case thrown out. 

They cited the paper I linked above? I doubt it.

They cited the paper I linked above? I doubt it.

The paper you cite predicts a cooling effect by the speculated GSM of upto 1 degree C by 2070

To be fair that may moderate global warming and buy some time but it won't lead to an absolute cooling - the thermometer will still be rising albeit a little more slowly. 

The downside of this is what happens when it comes out of that minimum? Ok not an issue for me but may well be for my children and grandchildren.