15 hours ago, turbguy said:

Looks like the grid may have forced South Texas Unit #1 off.  Hard to tell from this report.  You would think that a reactor feedpump would be supplied by the housepower (auxiliary) transformer.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/energy/how-and-why-a-nuclear-reactor-shut-down-in-texas-cold-snap-when-energy-was-needed-most

I know some were hoping Texas would turn blue, but not like THIS!

For Republicans, is a good thing it didn't happen before the election. They better get their act together fast. The cronies at ERCOT have had their way too long. It is also time to stop the flaring which wastes natural gas! 

https://www.wfmynews2.com/article/weather/ercot-to-raise-texas-energy-prices-blaming-high-demand-from-winter-storm/285-76ea495b-b67b-4cb7-8f1a-47f0fb4b4234

14 minutes ago, ronwagn said:

Looking back hundreds of thousands of years will tell you nothing about what will happen in the future. It only helps fuel lots of speculation. Seal level rises are not accelerating in any meaningful amount. Sea levels have been far higher than they are now. To my knowledge they have never been more than a few feet lower than they are now. Lakes are shrinking in Asia to the point they are disappearing. 

😀😂 Is this a joke post? 

How deep do you think the Southern North Sea and English channel is?

During the last Ice Age these were land. Why do think North Sea fisherman regularly drege up Mammoth bones and tusks? 

This is what the UK / Southern North Sea / NW Europe looked like 16000 years ago. The outline of Modern Britain today is there to show how much was land. 

Dogger bank is now 20-35 metres underwater. 

doggerland-map.jpg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, turbguy said:

Looks like the grid may have forced South Texas Unit #1 off.  Hard to tell from this report.  You would think that a reactor feedpump would be supplied by the housepower (auxiliary) transformer.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/energy/how-and-why-a-nuclear-reactor-shut-down-in-texas-cold-snap-when-energy-was-needed-most

I know some were hoping Texas would turn blue, but not like THIS!

I doubt it was for lack of electricity (which was the problem at Fukushima) more likely they ran a surface pipe from a water tank to the plant and it froze. People in the southern states get a bit lackadaisical about weather. Where I live you count on it being cold and plan accordingly. I've got a generator because I lose power due to ice and wind storms periodically. Ran my generator for about 3 days straight because of a windstorm a month or so ago. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NickW said:

😀😂 Is this a joke post? 

During the last Ice Age these were land. Why do think North Sea fisherman regularly drege up Mammoth bones and tusks? 

This is what the UK / Southern North Sea / NW Europe looked like 16000 years ago. The outline of Modern Britain today is there to show how much was land. 

doggerland-map.jpg

You were there? That is neanderthal science.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, NickW said:

Whats a wind turbine in northern Sweden circa 2013 got to do with the Texas blackout crisis? 

Not my picture but try finding a pic of a frozen wind turbine, this one pops up. I never said it was Texas, just that they're frozen, which is true. As a pilot of a plane that can fly in known icing conditions, I can tell you we've got inflatable bladders on the wings and electric heaters for the prop. Pilots have died looking at their wings and thinking they were all right, when the propeller was past critical for lift due to icing. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Ward Smith said:

Not my picture but try finding a pic of a frozen wind turbine, this one pops up. I never said it was Texas, just that they're frozen, which is true. As a pilot of a plane that can fly in known icing conditions, I can tell you we've got inflatable bladders on the wings and electric heaters for the prop. Pilots have died looking at their wings and thinking they were all right, when the propeller was past critical for lift due to icing. 

icing of wind turbine blades in cold climates has largely been resolved and not by using helicopters but imbedded heater wires in the blades. 

Wind turbines in Texas that stopped turning (assuming there was wind) would have been due to:

• They had no frost protection systems on the assumption the climate is too mild there
  • Grid frequency dropped to the point they had to disconnect (which is 60Hz in the US I believe) 

I just find it a bit disingenuous that that picture has been posted 10,000 times in connection with the Texas disaster when the primary cause was failures at FF plants / and one of the Nucs. There are other structural issues as well - ERCOT is basically an energy island so has little capacity to draw support from other regions. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Ecocharger said:

You were there? That is neanderthal science.

No I wasn't but we know for a fact that Pine trees were growing there and as far as Im aware pine trees dont grow 30 metres underwater. 

Happy to see the evidence to contrary. 🙂

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ward Smith said:

I doubt it was for lack of electricity (which was the problem at Fukushima) more likely they ran a surface pipe from a water tank to the plant and it froze. People in the southern states get a bit lackadaisical about weather. Where I live you count on it being cold and plan accordingly. I've got a generator because I lose power due to ice and wind storms periodically. Ran my generator for about 3 days straight because of a windstorm a month or so ago. 

I bet it was a trip when the grid frequency dropped below a critical level (cascade event). We get an event like this with one of our nukes every 5-10 years. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, turbguy said:

The bottom line in ALL of this.

The conditions in Texas got cold.  REALLY cold!

ERCOT did not plan or prepare for it.

Plant operators did not plan or prepare for it.

Texas runs as an "electric island" (albeit with a few DC ties), for political reasons.

Texas residents suffer the consequences of those decisions.

Wait until the weather warms up and lots of folks need a plumber, all at the same time.

Every one of you AGW climate model enthusiasts are 99% responsible for this mess. The idiot managers weren't worried about frigid conditions because every funded model said that would never happen! I'm reading dozens of posts from the usual suspects arguing that we're still warming, while hell is freezing over outside. Remember when the big AGW meeting was held in Cancun and they had a record freeze simultaneous to that event? We're being told, again and again by a multitude not to believe our own lying eyes but to believe them! @Tom Nolan is right, this is well past conspiracy theory, this is conspiracy fact. When a paper gets published on "Why you shouldn't do your own research" you know well and true that the Bullshit is a mile deep and growing. Sit down, shut up and listen to your masters… And people here wonder why there's "insurrection". Frankly there isn't anywhere enough insurrection. 

• Like 1
  • Great Response! 3

2 minutes ago, Ward Smith said:

Every one of you AGW climate model enthusiasts are 99% responsible for this mess. The idiot managers weren't worried about frigid conditions because every funded model said that would never happen! I'm reading dozens of posts from the usual suspects arguing that we're still warming, while hell is freezing over outside. Remember when the big AGW meeting was held in Cancun and they had a record freeze simultaneous to that event? We're being told, again and again by a multitude not to believe our own lying eyes but to believe them! @Tom Nolan is right, this is well past conspiracy theory, this is conspiracy fact. When a paper gets published on "Why you shouldn't do your own research" you know well and true that the Bullshit is a mile deep and growing. Sit down, shut up and listen to your masters… And people here wonder why there's "insurrection". Frankly there isn't anywhere enough insurrection. 

Perhaps you can show us where Climatologists were telling Texans no more frosts / snow / winter weather? 

One of Rons posters with Al Gore on it doesn't count. 

• Rolling Eye 3

8 minutes ago, NickW said:

I just find it a bit disingenuous that that picture has been posted 10,000 times in connection with the Texas disaster when the primary cause was failures at FF plants / and one of the Nucs. There are other structural issues as well - ERCOT is basically an energy island so has little capacity to draw support from other regions. 

Well, I've let you get by with quite a bit, but that is just pure bullshit. I'm going to give you a break by assuming that you read that off the internet. 

The contribution of contemporary Texas electricity from wind energy is currently at 42%, that of natural gas 46%. Early in this storm the contribution of wind energy plunged dramatically to 8% . . . because the damn blades froze up. For much of this whole year of 2021, wind turbines generated more than half of Texas power--but then they failed, and failed big. To try to compensate for wind-off-the-grid, gas-fired plants produced 44,000 MW of power Sunday night and coal plants 11,000. That's roughly 3X what they usually generate. That's 3X! 

It wasn't really until temperatures plunged into low single digits Monday that natural gas and nuclear plants began having problems.  Gas generation fell by 1/3 on Monday, but was still 2-3X higher than usual before the polar vortex. Again, even as they began failing, gas plants were at least twice their usual production. In fact, gas power almost made up for wind, until it couldn't--Mother Nature was stronger.

It is obvious that you're pretty sold on renewable energy. That's fine with me, as long as you stick to the truth. When you start tossing around facts and figures that you've just read off the internet, well, that's when I'm going to call you on it. There are an awful lot of guys on this site who know one hell of a lot more about energy than you do. Stop putting them down and  be moderately open to accepting some reasonable comments and you'll have a more enjoyable experience. 

And for God's sake, don't mess with Texas!

• Like 1
  • Great Response! 3

Just now, Gerry Maddoux said:

Well, I've let you get by with quite a bit, but that is just pure bullshit. I'm going to give you a break by assuming that you read that off the internet. 

The contribution of contemporary Texas electricity from wind energy is currently at 42%, that of natural gas 46%. Early in this storm the contribution of wind energy plunged dramatically to 8% . . . because the damn blades froze up. For much of this whole year of 2021, wind turbines generated more than half of Texas power--but then they failed, and failed big. To try to compensate for wind-off-the-grid, gas-fired plants produced 44,000 MW of power Sunday night and coal plants 11,000. That's roughly 3X what they usually generate. That's 3X! 

It wasn't really until temperatures plunged into low single digits Monday that natural gas and nuclear plants began having problems.  Gas generation fell by 1/3 on Monday, but was still 2-3X higher than usual before the polar vortex. Again, even as they began failing, gas plants were at least twice their usual production. In fact, gas power almost made up for wind, until it couldn't--Mother Nature was stronger.

It is obvious that you're pretty sold on renewable energy. That's fine with me, as long as you stick to the truth. When you start tossing around facts and figures that you've just read off the internet, well, that's when I'm going to call you on it. There are an awful lot of guys on this site who know one hell of a lot more about energy than you do. Stop putting them down and  be moderately open to accepting some reasonable comments and you'll have a more enjoyable experience. 

And for God's sake, don't mess with Texas!

87% of the outage was caused by fossil fuel and nuclear failures. 

• Like 1
  • Rolling Eye 3

41 minutes ago, NickW said:

😀😂 Is this a joke post? 

doggerland-map.jpg

Geographic map of Cretaceous time

(edited)

It looks like a lot of silt built up around Europe and what is now Great Britain coming down from rivers during the ice age. Just a guess. North America is a different story. We did have an ice bridge from Russia accross the Aleutian Islands. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogger_Bank

Edited by ronwagn
reference

1 minute ago, NickW said:

87% of the outage was caused by fossil fuel and nuclear failures. 

That's sheer nonsense!

And I have to believe you're smart enough to know it is. 

Where are you getting this, the Washington Post or Joe Biden. In the first case you're getting Jeff Bezos. In the latter, you're tapping a hollow keg. 

Mr. Biden was so alert that he claimed there was no vaccine until he came into office. He cancelled the Keystone XL. He doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground. 

Read the damn energy production numbers: they're available from the ERCOT log. 

Please don't keep making these inane posts. I know what the hell I'm talking about and I'm old and things like that--sheer heaps of bullshit shoveled from Great Britain--get my blood pressure up. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, Ward Smith said:

Here is the 'evil Sierra Club' in 2018 in regard to Texas

So what are they saying in article - Its time to increase Texas energy efficiency

A few snippets of what they looked at: 

• Texas had more energy efficiency potential than any other state
  • Leaky buildings 
  • Appliances and devices - 
  • Energy efficiency goals and programs in Texas
  • shaving off 0.4 percent of peak demand
  • **Winter weather can have a similar impact on our grid**

It’s Time To Increase Texas' Energy Efficiency Goal | Sierra Club

• Rolling Eye 1

9 minutes ago, Gerry Maddoux said:

That's sheer nonsense!

Where are you getting this, the Washington Post or Joe Biden. In the first case you're getting Jeff Bezos. In the latter, you're tapping a hollow keg. 

Mr. Biden was so alert that he claimed there was no vaccine until he came into office. He cancelled the Keystone XL. He doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground. 

Please don't keep making these inane posts. I know what the hell I'm talking about and I'm old and things like that--sheer heaps of bullshit shoveled from Great Britain--get my blood pressure up. 

Lap it up cowboy

Enjoy your 3rd world electrical transmission network😀

• Haha 1
  • Rolling Eye 3

1 minute ago, ronwagn said:

It looks like a lot of silt built up around Europe and what is now Great Britain coming down from rivers during the ice age. Just a guess. North America is a different story. We did have an ice bridge from Russia accross the Aleutian Islands. 

Ron, you're totally right. An orogeny rises, then gets worn down to sedimentary dust over the next hundred million years. The crust of the earth can stand about 40,000 feet of sediment--that's the elastic limit. Then it  begins to rebound. When that happens--sedimentary layers move up with thermal drives as well as isostasy. Sedimentary layers also move laterally and are thus thrust sheets. 

And you're right about ocean levels: Florida has been underwater far more than under the sun over the last several million years. 

The equator once ran through my backyard in western Oklahoma. It has switched many times. That has all been worked out using paleomagnetic field reversals from rocks here and there. 

There is a wonderful book written about all this . . . in laymen's language. It is Annals of the Former World, by John McPhee. it is 700 pages long but truly marvelous. I have read it five times. I'm still getting the concept down in my head. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

ERCOT PUBLIC1Release Date: Novermber 5, 2020FinalSeasonal Assessment of Resource Adequacy for the ERCOT Region (SARA)Winter2020/2021SUMMARYERCOTanticipates there will be sufficient installed generating capacity available to serve system-wide forecasted peak demand this winter season, December 2020 ‒ February 2021. “In the winter, we’re dealing with morning and evening peaks and sometimes extreme volatility in the weather,” said Manager of Resource Adequacy Pete Warnken. “We studied a range of potential risks under both normal and extreme conditions, and believe there is sufficient generation to adequately serve our customers.” The peak demand forecast for winter 2020-21 was developed using Moody’s economic data obtained in April 2020. The winter SARA includes a 57,699 MW winter peak demand forecast, which is based on normal weather conditions during peak periods, from 2004 through 2018. ERCOT’s all-time winter peak demand record was set on Jan. 17, 2018, when demand reached 65,915 MW between 7 and 8 a.m. Nearly 83,000 MW of resource capacity is expected to be available for the winter peak, including 963 MW of planned winter-rated resource capacity consisting of wind and utility-scale solar projects. The winter SARA includes a unit outage forecast of 8,616 MW during the winter months, which is based on historical winter outage data compiled since 2017.

12 minutes ago, Gerry Maddoux said:

That's sheer nonsense!

I can see this happening again because many of you people are so craven you can't see what a blind man could see

At least Ted Cruz was man enough to say - 'I have no defence to his earlier critiques of California'

The causes (I would wager a bet):

• Lack of frost protection on key critical plant
  • ERCOT effectively being an Island and poorly interconnected
  • Insufficient load shedding
  • Non existent early utilisation of emergency generators (Someone else said this is non existent in US utilities) 
  • No effort previously to drive energy efficiency measures to reduce peak demands (summer and winter) 
  •  

None of the above is down to environmentalists / AGW or the evil English. Its down to the incompetence of the Texan adminstration. 

• Great Response! 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Rolling Eye 1

9 minutes ago, NickW said:

Lap it up cowboy

Enjoy your 3rd world electrical transmission network😀

Cowboy? 

(edited)

1 hour ago, NickW said:

Perhaps you can show us where Climatologists were telling Texans no more frosts / snow / winter weather? 

One of Rons posters with Al Gore on it doesn't count. 

Why doesn't it count? Because he is and was a joke following the guidance of his professor in college. The professor was the scientist. Al Gore only "invented the internet." The Democratic Party nominated Gore for president and backed him fanatically. That shows how wrong they have been and still are. 

Gore enrols at Harvard. Bored with his English major, he discovers a passion for politics and later graduates with honours in 1969. He also becomes interested in the topic of global warming after taking a course with Professor Roger Revelle, one of the first scientists to measure carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.

https://prepareforchange.net/2019/04/13/how-al-gore-built-the-global-warming-fraud/

At his death, Revelle may well have still been waiting for a signal that would prove global warming as a serious problem correct. In the November 1982 Scientific American Letters to the Editors, Revelle stated: "We must conclude that until a warming trend that exceeds the noise level of natural climatic fluctuations becomes clearly evident, there will be considerable uncertainty and a diversity of opinions about the amplitude of the climatic effects of increased atmospheric CO2. If the modelers are correct, such a signal should be detectable within the next 10 or 15 years."[7]

Wikipedia 

Edited by ronwagn
reference
  • Like 1

No one should be surprised that the New York Times lied thru their teeth with their recent "report" on Texas. Just in November (historically a low wind month) almost 40% of Texas' power was produced by wind, yet the lying NYT says Texas only produces 7% from wind. But they're talking to liberals who can't think for themselves or do simple research so they're "correct" and I'm certain "fact checkers" will quote them to propagate the lies. EIA.gov has the data among other sources the lazy and prevaricating "journalists" could not be bothered to look up. 

F372E7E3-A47A-4122-BF7B-43E9C786C380.jpeg

• Great Response! 1

Notice the number here for Texas is as a percentage of the entire country's wind output. But yeah, the NYT article said 7% so all the lemmings gotta believe that. 

2D294828-3D8E-45F3-82B7-491DF6C4FD10.png