JM

GREEN NEW DEAL = BLIZZARD OF LIES

4 minutes ago, Ecocharger said:

The issue will be moot if gas-generated electricity is widely accepted as being environmentally friendly, which in reality it is.

That would provide a compatible source of electricity to ride out any temporary overloads.

No doubt, more nat gas generation would totally solve the issue.  Califorrnia has lots of nat gas storage.  They could even bring some "stuff" out of mothballs. 

I cannot tell what's cheaper, batteries or CT's.  Batteries have advantages that CT's don't (they don't need a fuel supply and can respond very rapidly), and vice-versa (CT's don't run out of charge nor require re-charging).

Certainly nat gas is "cleaner" than coal.  And it atomizes SO much better, too.

If Californians are willing to pay a "little more", they can have either.  As populations increase, energy demand does, too.  Something will have to be done.  

Just what they decide is up-in-the-air.  Either way, $/Wh goes up.   

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, turbguy said:

No doubt, more nat gas generation would totally solve the issue.  Califorrnia has lots of nat gas storage.  They could even bring some "stuff" out of mothballs. 

I cannot tell what's cheaper, batteries or CT's.  Batteries have advantages that CT's don't (they don't need a fuel supply and can respond very rapidly), and vice-versa (CT's don't run out of charge nor require re-charging).

If Californians are willing to pay a "little more", they can have either.  As populations increase, energy demand does, too.  Something will have to be done.  

CA officials keep on banning new construction for natural gas use and connections!!!!!

• Upvote 1

(edited)

1 hour ago, turbguy said:

Europe has decided to accept lots of natural gas as a supposed "transition fuel" into the Green Future, although they will require suppliers to do something about methane leaks.

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Natural-Gas/EU-Admits-It-Cant-Go-Net-Zero-Without-Natural-Gas.html

Edited by Ecocharger

1 hour ago, ceo_energemsier said:

CA officials keep on banning new construction for natural gas use and connections!!!!!

Yup, that's seems strange, at least for cooking/heating.  "Heat at a distance" (electric) loses that one, for now.

54 minutes ago, turbguy said:

Yup, that's seems strange, at least for cooking/heating.  "Heat at a distance" (electric) loses that one, for now.

It is less energy efficient but it puts the exhaust source further away from where people live.  More of a clean air initiative than an energy or CO2 reduction plan.

I'm sure air conditioner energy consumption is much greater than heating usage in California.

4 hours ago, Ecocharger said:

No, Jay, your own positions were refuted time and again...you just float along making no responses, pretending nothing has happened.

You made zero response to the major issues surrounding climate change, just ignored them.  I cited your own alma mater in a central study, and your response was , "Okay, what else have you got?"  That is not a refutation.

I tried to improve your online demeanor, get you a better hat, but no luck.

You said "Grids will certainly transition into palladium to reduce weight," and I refuted it.

(edited)

5 minutes ago, -trance said:

It is less energy efficient but it puts the exhaust source further away from where people live.  More of a clean air initiative than an energy or CO2 reduction plan.

I'm sure air conditioner energy consumption is much greater than heating usage in California.

Yeah, AC's probably a larger energy use.

The pollutants in the exhaust from a proper nat gas flame is just about what you and I exhale, no? 

Most of us do "leak" some methane and ammonia  from time to time, as well.

Edited by turbguy
  • Haha 1

(edited)

6 minutes ago, turbguy said:

The pollutants in the exhaust from a proper nat gas flame is just about what you and I exhale, no? 

Yes, I agree a well running nat gas furnace is pretty clean.

Humans are not clean...  look in the toilet next time you take a dump - we gross. 

Edited by -trance

(edited)

5 hours ago, Ecocharger said:

Jay, here is the reality from the article above.

"This is what the California Public Utilities Commission and the state's grid operator, CAISO, said in a joint letter to Governor Newsom following the blackouts:

"On August 15, the CAISO experienced similar [to August 14] supply conditions, as well as significant swings in wind resource output when evening demand was increasing. Wind resources first quickly increased output during the 4:00 pm hour (approximately 1,000 MW), then decreased rapidly the next hour. These factors, combined with another unexpected loss of generating resources, led to a sudden need to shed load to maintain system reliability."

Further in the letter, CPUC and CAISO also had this to say:

"Another factor that appears to have contributed to resource shortages is California's heavy reliance on import resources to meet increasing energy needs in the late afternoon and evening hours during summer. Some of these import resources bid into the CAISO energy markets but are not secured by long-term contracts. This poses a risk if import resources become unavailable when there are West-wide shortages due to an extreme heat event, such as the one we are currently experiencing.""

This joint letter was the preliminary analysis made at the time of the event. The information I provided was from the final report that superceded the letter. That " another unexpected loss of generating resources" they refer to was a 500MW gas plant going offline.

Final report that supersedes the letter http://www.caiso.com/Documents/Final-Root-Cause-Analysis-Mid-August-2020-Extreme-Heat-Wave.pdf

Long-term contracts for imported electricity are being put into place. An easy solution to that problem.

The reality is that with the batteries we now have online there would have been no shortage or blackouts.

Reality is that both of the issues you highlight have already been fixed.

Edited by Jay McKinsey

4 minutes ago, -trance said:

Humans are not clean...  look in the toilet next time you take a dump - we gross. 

Fully recyclable, though!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jay McKinsey said:

You said "Grids will certainly transition into palladium to reduce weight," and I refuted it.

You have not refuted it, this deals with going forward...we will see what happens.

1 hour ago, Jay McKinsey said:

This joint letter was the preliminary analysis made at the time of the event. The information I provided was from the final report that superceded the letter. That " another unexpected loss of generating resources" they refer to was a 500MW gas plant going offline.

Final report that supersedes the letter http://www.caiso.com/Documents/Final-Root-Cause-Analysis-Mid-August-2020-Extreme-Heat-Wave.pdf

Long-term contracts for imported electricity are being put into place. An easy solution to that problem.

The reality is that with the batteries we now have online there would have been no shortage or blackouts.

Reality is that both of the issues you highlight have already been fixed.

Again, we will see going forward.

I am still waiting for you to wake up about CO2 being a "pollutant".

That is the issue which is driving this discussion, and the politics associated with it.

(edited)

2 hours ago, Ecocharger said:

Again, we will see going forward.

I am still waiting for you to wake up about CO2 being a "pollutant".

That is the issue which is driving this discussion, and the politics associated with it.

I'll change my mind on CO2 when a consensus of scientists agree that it is not a pollutant. The research you presented may well prove that CO2 is not the cause of climate change but that research needs to be reviewed by other scientists, reproduced and a new consensus arrived at. That is how science works.

But then comes the next question which is does CO2 have other negative affects? There is evidence that it does, that too must be researched and a consensus arrived at. If the consensus is that it is not a pollutant then I will change my position. I do agree now that CO2 is not a pollutant so long as the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere is at pre industrial levels.

Edited by Jay McKinsey

4 minutes ago, Jay McKinsey said:

I'll change my mind on CO2 when a consensus of scientists agree that it is not a pollutant. The research you presented may well prove that CO2 is not the cause of climate change but that research needs to be reviewed by other scientists and reproduced. That is how science works.

But then comes the next question which is does CO2 have other negative affects? There is evidence that it does, that too must be researched and a consensus arrived at. If the consensus is that it is not a pollutant then I will change my position.

CO2 existed at a higher concentration in history than now NATURALLY, YOU MORON!

(edited)

1 hour ago, QuarterCenturyVet said:

CO2 existed at a higher concentration in history than now NATURALLY, YOU MORON!

And those concentrations are highly correlated with mass extinctions according to the data and scientist who presented the research that CO2 was not the cause of climate change.

Edited by Jay McKinsey

On 4/30/2021 at 5:38 AM, turbguy said:

Automobile manufacturers are sensitive to weight, making great strides to utilize that factor in the last decades to increase mileage. 

was on a car forum discussing this ...........  one of the latest car models was rather heavy 2.0, higher fuel consumption, lower top speed capacity etc in comparison to another model...

Battery, engine and car seats, could be the heaviest contributors that probably drag on the efficiency.........

shall lighter alloy and material be used to increase the ability of engine to dissipate heat, reduce weight and enhance efficiency, fuel mileage could probably be improved by much (hence, sustainable fuel usages) and increase top speed achievable??

On 4/28/2021 at 10:36 PM, Jay McKinsey said:

Batteries aren't backup, they are profit generating value centers as they allow shifting of renewable production to the highest demand portion of the day. They make more money than they cost.

Eliminate crude oil and it's not only gasoline, but the components it provides.  So, how does Biden plan to transition from ICE to EV?

Lightweight materials are paramount in the construction of electric vehicles since they are helpful in increasing the range of vehicles. With electric vehicles making inroads into the mainstream, the market for these materials is growing at a much faster pace. Growing demand for light weighted automotive components is forcing plastic industry to their current boundaries. 

NY GOVERNOR CUOMO SHUTTERED THE LAST NUCLEAR POWER PLANT IN NEW YORK WHILE HIS DREAM OF WIND AND SOLAR ENERGY REPLACING THE NUKE POWER IS HITTING BIG ROADBLOCKS FROM PUBLIC AND POLITICAL BACKLASH.  

NOW WHAT?

Welcomed into the world just 10 months after the Arab Oil Embargo of 1973, Unit 2 was an industry giant, churning out huge amounts of reliable, carbon-free electricity from a tiny footprint.

A modest sort, it rarely bragged, but the 1,028-megawatt Westinghouse machine delivered about 8,000 gigawatt-hours of electricity a year from a site on the Hudson River that covers less than a half square mile.

Unit 2’s prodigious output left its more politically popular rivals — solar and wind energy — in the shade. Ivanpah, the biggest thermal-solar project in America, puts out less than 800 gigawatt-hours of juice each year. Located in California’s Mojave Desert, the solar plant sprawls over about 3,500 acres (about 5.4 square miles).

To match Unit 2’s output with solar-thermal energy would require 10 Ivanpahs covering 140 times more territory than what Indian Point uses.

• Upvote 1

(edited)

18 hours ago, Jay McKinsey said:

I'll change my mind on CO2 when a consensus of scientists agree that it is not a pollutant. The research you presented may well prove that CO2 is not the cause of climate change but that research needs to be reviewed by other scientists, reproduced and a new consensus arrived at. That is how science works.

But then comes the next question which is does CO2 have other negative affects? There is evidence that it does, that too must be researched and a consensus arrived at. If the consensus is that it is not a pollutant then I will change my position. I do agree now that CO2 is not a pollutant so long as the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere is at pre industrial levels.

The consensus is already there, there is a school of scientists researching the solar explanation, and no one has challenged their work or their findings. That constitutes a scientific consensus. You don't expect the anti-CO2 climate alarmists to suddenly embrace an alternative hypothesis, and abandon their bread and butter beliefs. What happens is that they go silent. That is where we are now. Done like dinner.

CO2's possible negative effects are paltry compared to the positive effects, and the necessary levels of CO2 to maintain agricultural output and Oxygen levels sufficient to maintain our post-industrial levels of population. Going back to pre-1850 pre-industrial times means shedding several billion people somehow, either through starvation or by some other aggressive policy, certainly a morally reprehensible approach. Moral considerations need to enter into the discussion.

Edited by Ecocharger

The Price of the Stuff That Makes Everything Is Surging

The prices of raw materials used to make almost everything are skyrocketing, and the upward trajectory looks set to continue as the world economy roars back to life.

From steel and copper to corn and lumber, commodities started 2021 with a bang, surging to levels not seen for years. The rally threatens to raise the cost of goods from the lunchtime sandwich to gleaming skyscrapers. It’s also lit the fuse on the massive reflation trade that’s gripped markets this year and pushed up inflation expectations. With the U.S. economy pumped up on fiscal stimulus, and Europe’s economy starting to reopen as its vaccination rollout gets into gear, there’s little reason to expect a change in direction.

JPMorgan Chase & Co. said this week it sees a continued rally in commodities and that the “reflation and reopening trade will continue.” On top of that, the Federal Reserve and other central banks seem calm about inflation, meaning economies could be left to run hot, which will rev up demand even more.

“The most important drivers supporting commodity prices are the global economic recovery and acceleration in the reopening phase,” said Giovanni Staunovo, commodity analyst at UBS Group AG. The bank expects commodities as a whole to rise about 10% in the next year.

China, a crucial source of supply and demand for raw materials, is playing a big role, particularly as the government tries to reduce production of key metals like steel and aluminum. It’s also buying up massive amounts of grains. Food prices are also being affected as poor weather in key growing nations like Brazil and France hits harvests.

As just about every basic material gets rapidly more expensive, here’s some ways the rally is rippling across the globe to create winners and losers.

Going Green

Copper has enjoyed an unstoppable rally for more than a year thanks to pledges by governments to boost renewable energy and electric vehicle use. That’ll make all the various forms of green technology that rely on it a bit more expensive.

Bigger power grids is one such case. About 1.9 million tons of copper was used to build electricity networks in 2020, according to BloombergNEF, and the price of the red metal is up more than 90% in the past year. Usage will almost double by 2050, BNEF forecasts, while demand from other low carbon technologies like electric vehicles and solar panels will also balloon.

Buyers and Sellers

For countries, the impact of the commodity rally depends on whether they’re an exporter or importer. For those relying heavily on exporting raw materials, the huge upswings can only be good news for public finances, especially when they’ve just been stricken by a once-in-a-century pandemic. The likes of Australia (iron ore), Chile (copper) and Indonesia (palm oil) all make huge sums from commodities.

Meanwhile, countries looking to rebuild infrastructure may find their budgets buy less than they used to. President Joe Biden’s $2.3 trillion plan is one such case. Electricity grids, railways and refurbishing buildings are among the items on the shopping list that will use large amounts of metal.

Consultancy CRU Group estimates the program will add 5 million tons of steel to the 80 million the U.S. uses each year, with similar boosts to aluminum and copper demand.

Meat

It’s been a tough year to be in the meat business, from devastating Covid outbreaks to the deadly pig disease that hit Germany and is roaring back in China.

And as crop prices surge, farmers rearing poultry, pigs and cattle are among the first to get squeezed by the eye-watering run-up in grains. Costs for corn fed to livestock have doubled in the past year, and soybean meal is more than 40% higher. While there’s a delay before that hits the burger chain or steakhouse, there are already signs of prices creeping higher.

Old Steel Mills

Steel producers in Europe and America have suffered for years from low prices caused by global overcapacity. Plants struggled to make money and job security became a growing worry. Over 85,000 steel jobs were lost in the European Union between 2008 and 2019, according to industry association Eurofer.

That’s all changed dramatically thanks to booming steel prices. Futures in China, by far the biggest producer, have smashed records — even outpacing gains in key ingredient iron ore — as the government took measures to curb output. That’s supercharged rallies of benchmark prices in Europe and America, where mills were already running at maximum capacity as they try to meet unexpectedly high demand.

Breakfast Tables

Whether you prefer latte or espresso, sweetened or plain, the key ingredients of a cup of coffee have surged. Arabica coffee futures have risen about 33% in the past year, while raw sugar has also advanced. Fancy a slice of toast? Benchmark wheat prices have hit the highest since 2013.

Of course, rising commodities don’t immediately show up on grocery shelves and cafe menus. They make up just a part of the costs for retailers, which often absorb the initial increase to keep customers coming back. But there’s a limit to that margin hit, and high prices could ultimately feed through to consumers.

image.thumb.png.54274f5ebc5935b29be058d2be25e266.png

•  
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, JoMack said:

Eliminate crude oil and it's not only gasoline, but the components it provides.  So, how does Biden plan to transition from ICE to EV?

Lightweight materials are paramount in the construction of electric vehicles since they are helpful in increasing the range of vehicles. With electric vehicles making inroads into the mainstream, the market for these materials is growing at a much faster pace. Growing demand for light weighted automotive components is forcing plastic industry to their current boundaries. 

Plastics make up maybe 10% of oil demand and aren't burned so they aren't a CO2 problem. A residual oil industry can satisfy demand. Eventually non oil based materials will be developed and used.

(edited)

37 minutes ago, Jay McKinsey said:

Plastics make up maybe 10% of oil demand and aren't burned so they aren't a CO2 problem. A residual oil industry can satisfy demand. Eventually non oil based materials will be developed and used.

Put enough carbon fiber in the plastic and it's a net carbon sink! . *kidding*

Edited by -trance

(edited)

5 hours ago, Ecocharger said:

The consensus is already there, there is a school of scientists researching the solar explanation, and no one has challenged their work or their findings. That constitutes a scientific consensus. You don't expect the anti-CO2 climate alarmists to suddenly embrace an alternative hypothesis, and abandon their bread and butter beliefs. What happens is that they go silent. That is where we are now. Done like dinner.

CO2's possible negative effects are paltry compared to the positive effects, and the necessary levels of CO2 to maintain agricultural output and Oxygen levels sufficient to maintain our post-industrial levels of population. Going back to pre-1850 pre-industrial times means shedding several billion people somehow, either through starvation or by some other aggressive policy, certainly a morally reprehensible approach. Moral considerations need to enter into the discussion.

10 scientists does not a consensus of the scientific community make, not even close. 

Technology has far more to do with crop yields and population growth than CO2.

Did you know oxygen levels have been falling during this glorious period of CO2 and population growth?

image.thumb.png.0d3643549a59a835529ebe92286206ad.png

It is almost as if CO2 and O2 levels are negatively correlated...hmmmm

Edited by Jay McKinsey

(edited)

It is trivial to make plastic without oil.  Numerous biochemicals can be polymerized.

Edited by -trance
  • Upvote 1