JM

GREEN NEW DEAL = BLIZZARD OF LIES

3 minutes ago, Jay McKinsey said:

You are really great at making numbers up. Oh and since you don't know how EVs work, traffic doesn't affect them like it does ICE because of regenerative breaking. That is why EVs have better city mileage than highway.

Not pulling a trailer, you idiot. 

(edited)

17 minutes ago, QuarterCenturyVet said:

Not pulling a trailer, you idiot. 

Pulling a trailer makes no difference, they still get better mileage in stop and go than the highway. It is called physics.

Edited by Jay McKinsey

32 minutes ago, QuarterCenturyVet said:

Your final point is what I was saying in the first place. Besides, if a 1/2 ton weighs as much as a 3/4 ton without the suspension, clearance and range; what's the point of attempting to use it for work payloads? 

This Lightning F150 is just a status and virtue signal. No serious tradespeople will purchase one for real work. 

So in a few years with they come out with the electric F250 then I guess serious tradespeople will start buying them.

25 minutes ago, Jay McKinsey said:

Pulling a trailer makes no difference, they still get better mileage in stop and go than the highway. It is called physics.

It's not about mileage. It's about range, like I said from the beginning. 

You can't even understand the physics behind an increased load and how much extra energy is needed to pull something. Batteries or not, you're going to be using more juice. I can't believe I have to explain this. 

Are you telling me that electric vehicles have the same range and mileage per change whether they're unloaded or loaded with 10000lbs? You can't be that stupid, right? 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jay McKinsey said:

So in a few years with they come out with the electric F250 then I guess serious tradespeople will start buying them.

Yeah. Maybe. They'll weigh as much as a highway tractor and have less range than the Lightning.

• Haha 1

Just now, QuarterCenturyVet said:

It's not about mileage. It's about range, like I said from the beginning. 

You can't even understand the physics behind an increased load and how much extra energy is needed to pull something. Batteries or not, you're going to be using more juice. I can't believe I have to explain this. 

Are you telling me that electric vehicles have the same range and mileage per change whether they're unloaded or loaded with 10000lbs? You can't be that stupid, right? 

You are thick. If an EV is pulling a heavy trailer in stop and go it gets a great deal of the energy to accelerate back on stopping. On the highway it suffers energy loss from wind drag which is multiplied significantly by hauling some square piece of equipment. It does not get that energy back.

1 minute ago, QuarterCenturyVet said:

Yeah. Maybe. They'll weigh as much as a highway tractor and have less range than the Lightning.

No they will have the same battery just the heavy duty suspension. You really just don't get it.

(edited)

4 minutes ago, Jay McKinsey said:

You are thick. If an EV is pulling a heavy trailer in stop and go it gets a great deal of the energy to accelerate back on stopping. On the highway it suffers energy loss from wind drag which is multiplied significantly by hauling some square piece of equipment. It does not get that energy back.

Hahahaha. I can't wait until the regenerative breaking system grenades from the increased force it would exert on the system. There's other "physics" to pulling a load than you're willing to consider, seemingly. 

Yet another reason you don't tow 15000lbs with a half ton: braking. 

Edited by QuarterCenturyVet

Hahahaha. I can't wait until the regenerative breaking system grenades from the increased force it would exert on the system. There's other "physics" to pulling a load than you're willing to consider, seemingly. 

Yet another reason you don't tow 15000lbs with a half ton. 

You clearly have no idea how a regenerative breaking system works.

Just now, Jay McKinsey said:

You clearly have no idea how a regenerative breaking system works.

Magnetic saturation happens almost immediately when towing a trailer, you clown. You'll be quickly past the regenerative braking threshold, and straight to stopping power, which is how it works. 

You haven't even considered that fact, I guess. 

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Jay McKinsey said:

Care to explain that? 

Magnetic saturation happens almost immediately when towing a trailer, you clown. You'll be quickly past the regenerative braking threshold, and straight to stopping power, which is how it works. 

You haven't even considered that fact, I guess. 

That completely depends on how the motor is designed. If it is designed for a vehicle that carries and tows large loads then the motor will be designed with a much higher saturation level. Locomotives have such motors.

2 minutes ago, Jay McKinsey said:

That completely depends on how the motor is designed. If it is designed for a vehicle that carries and tows large loads then the motor will be designed with a much higher saturation level. Locomotives have such motors.

Not when that system is overloaded. Just like in the picture we're discussing. Thanks for playing. 

Sit down and shut up. 

• Haha 2

Not when that system is overloaded. Just like in the picture we're discussing. Thanks for playing. 

Sit down and shut up. 

The system is not overloaded if it is designed for the load. I win.

7 minutes ago, Jay McKinsey said:

The system is not overloaded if it is designed for the load. I win.

That would be true, if everything works like it does on paper. Like the picture we're discussing; does it fall into that category? It doesn't, and you seem to forget that fact constantly. 

That would be true, if everything works like it does on paper. Like the picture we're discussing; does it fall into that category? It doesn't, and you seem to forget that fact constantly. 

Yes I do have a tendency to forget your imaginary facts. 

1 hour ago, Jay McKinsey said:

Yes I do have a tendency to forget your imaginary facts. 

What imaginary facts? The fact that the picture depicts an overloaded Ford F-150 Lightning? 

OK, you pedantic geriatric cockwomble.

• Haha 1

(edited)

3 hours ago, QuarterCenturyVet said:

In the mud with a half ton, regardless of what powers the vehicle, is going to have a rough time because of the terrain and its light suspension and clearance. That's my hobby. I build rock bouncers and mud trucks for fun. Try to tell me something I don't know.

Further, @Jay McKinsey, this is exactly what I was talking about; a battery powered 1/2 ton, that's heavier than its ICE cousins, rated for 10,000lbs pulling a trailer that weighs 2000lbs with a bobcat that weighs 9000lbs with all the gear that goes with it, is going to have its range retarded by over 50%. That "300mi" range is now much less than 150mi. Add winter conditions and traffic? Yeah. About 50mi. Just like I said in the first place. 

Thanks for coming out. 

While other vehicle specs are important for off-road use, you said mud.  Mud is typically level.   If you want to talk about rock-hoppers, or vehicles that require a ladder to enter or exit, that's a whole 'nother story.  There' way more "vehicle features" required for such use (particularly replacement tires and wheels that "might" fit under unmodified fenders), and certainly few (if any) factory stock vehicles are built for that.

I still have to question if you have a firm understanding concerning the different characteristics of reciprocating combustion engines vs. electric motors...   

You probably need to drive an EV first, no??

Perhaps you have...

Edited by turbguy

1 hour ago, QuarterCenturyVet said:

What imaginary facts? The fact that the picture depicts an overloaded Ford F-150 Lightning? 

OK, you pedantic geriatric cockwomble.

Yes that is an imaginary fact. That load certainly looks to be less than its 10,000 lbs. towing capacity. Another imaginary fact is that the Lightning does not provide regen for a trailer.  In tow mode the Lightning does increase regen braking to handle most of the weight of the trailer:

Other towing-friendly Lightning features include a tow mode that increases the regenerative braking on downhill slopes. It’s not quite as much regeneration as the one-pedal driving mode selectable during normal driving, but enough to reduce downhill speed and boost battery charging to offset the extra drain towing uphill.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/mark-phelan/2021/05/20/2022-ford-f-150-lightning-electric-pickup/5160501001/

13 minutes ago, turbguy said:

While other vehicle specs are important for off-road use, you said mud.  Mud is typically level.   If you want to talk about rock-hoppers, or vehicles that require a ladder to enter or exit, that's a whole 'nother story.  There' way more "vehicle features" required for such use (particularly replacement tires and wheels that "might" fit under unmodified fenders), and certainly few (if any) factory stock vehicles are built for that.

I still have to question if you have a firm understanding concerning the different characteristics of reciprocating combustion engines vs. electric motors...   

You probably need to drive an EV first, no??

Perhaps you have...

You ever even driven in mud? Sure, the top of it is flat. What's underneath usually isn't. All those turbine you installed on muddy farmland didn't tell you that? Are you another pavement princess? 

I don't care what your questions regarding my understanding of electric vs crankshaft engines are. They're irrelevant off-road. 

19 minutes ago, Jay McKinsey said:

Yes that is an imaginary fact. That load certainly looks to be less than its 10,000 lbs. towing capacity. Another imaginary fact is that the Lightning does not provide regen for a trailer.  In tow mode the Lightning does increase regen braking to handle most of the weight of the trailer:

Other towing-friendly Lightning features include a tow mode that increases the regenerative braking on downhill slopes. It’s not quite as much regeneration as the one-pedal driving mode selectable during normal driving, but enough to reduce downhill speed and boost battery charging to offset the extra drain towing uphill.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/mark-phelan/2021/05/20/2022-ford-f-150-lightning-electric-pickup/5160501001/

You stated that a bobcat is 9000lbs. The trailer isn't only 1000lbs. 

Not an imaginary fact. Overloaded is a fact. 

Now, again, your range will be retarded, regardless of the offsets. 

This is simple physics, you geriatric numpty. 

The range is 150mi or less with a payload like that. Guaranteed. 

I'll keep my real 1 ton with 600mi range. 

• Upvote 1

(edited)

52 minutes ago, QuarterCenturyVet said:

You stated that a bobcat is 9000lbs. The trailer isn't only 1000lbs. 

Not an imaginary fact. Overloaded is a fact. 

Now, again, your range will be retarded, regardless of the offsets. 

This is simple physics, you geriatric numpty. 

The range is 150mi or less with a payload like that. Guaranteed. 

I'll keep my real 1 ton with 600mi range. 

I stated that many bobcats were below 9000lbs. 

The bobcat in the picture looks like 7 or 8000lbs.

image.png.0a51395e73c8cc169a9ad773701e00d2.png

Not overweight.

Edited by Jay McKinsey

South Australia Leads The World On Grid-Scale Renewables (Again!)

South Australia is to the world of renewable energy what Norway is to the world of electric vehicle uptake. Rising from the ashes of a massive power blackout in 2016 and with the help of the Tesla Big Battery (Hornsdale Power Reserve and now others), this state has become a world leader in transitioning a grid from fossil fuels to renewable energy. It is far from the catastrophe that was predicted by many when South Australia closed its coal generators.

South Australia has become the physics lab of the world — a giant experiment in the use of “variable renewables” to power a statewide grid. The wind is blowing, the sun is shining, and the batteries are charging. As I write this, South Australia is pumping out approximately 2.3 GW of power – 872 MW from wind, 1,340 MW from sunshine, and only 85 MW from gas.

After a month of breaking one record after another for wind and solar generation, South Australia finds itself very close to being able to operate a grid with no fossil fuel input at all. A lot of this depends on pending regulation changes around the use of synchronous generators. New ways of thinking about the grid are emerging as new technologies, like batteries, take over the necessary balancing. 

Giles Parkinson of RenewEconomy writes:

“It is likely, however, that much will depend on the deployment of grid scale batteries that have what are known as ‘grid forming inverters’.

“It’s complicated technology, but the main difference is that rather than following the signals from the rest of the grid, these inverters have the capability of creating their own lead, and act as ‘virtual synchronous machines’ that replicate the system strength and other grid services delivered by spinning machines.”

It is worth noting that all of South Australia’s power is produced with “variable renewables.” There is no hydro or geothermal in the South Australia grid.

While South Australia continues to “boldly go,” the Australian Electric Market Operator (AEMO) is still a little unsure of how it will work. I guess they will have to timidly follow until it is impossible to ignore the reality of what is unfolding.

• Great Response! 1

12 hours ago, Eric Gagen said:

Anything else and you pull the load with a large farm tractor in the bad area.  If that won’t work pull it with a bulldozer.  If that won’t work pull with 2 dozers in a spread up front with a 3rd dozer pushing.

Would they be diesel by any chance?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Rob Plant said:

Would they be diesel by any chance?

All of them - the tractor trailers, the farm tractors, and the bulldozers.  That’s what you use for low speed high torque applications.