JM

GREEN NEW DEAL = BLIZZARD OF LIES

3 minutes ago, Ecocharger said:

What is your stocking made of?

Cotton.

(edited)

5 hours ago, notsonice said:

Something is wrong with you. You do understand people have accidents driving cars.... you see people on the news, all the time, who hit the gas when they are trying to hit the brake and drive into storefronts. You seem to have the same problem with your brain.... You should be thinking with your brain, not talking out of your arse, yet it happens with you all the time.

Your own posts display a lack of rational thought, buddy.

Edited by Ecocharger
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, turbguy said:

Cotton.

100% cotton? I have not seen a pair of 100% cotton socks in my usage for quite a while. What percentage cotton do you have? 

Just now, Ecocharger said:

100% cotton? I have not seen a pair of 100% cotton socks in my usage for quite a while. What percentage cotton do you have? 

Just cotton.

It's an old stocking...

On 12/17/2021 at 7:41 PM, notsonice said:

ex coal power plant site being replaced with Wind manufacturing ...subsea cable plant

Brayton Pt. manufacturing facility part of wind farm procurement

Salem’s waterfront will also become staging area for offshore wind

2e9e911622888637c0edd3fb756387fd?s=30&d= BRUCE MOHL Dec 17, 2021

MASSACHUSETTS’ THIRD and largest offshore wind procurement brought with it some significant and unexpected onshore benefits, including a subsea transmission cable manufacturing facility at beleaguered Brayton Point in Somerset and a new staging facility in Salem.

Two projects totaling 1,600 megawatts were selected on Friday to move forward to the contract stage — a 1,200 megawatt wind farm proposed by Avangrid Renewables and a 400 megawatt wind farm proposed by Mayflower Wind. The same two companies won the state’s first and second procurements, and now are each taking pieces of the third.

Terms of the deals and the cost of the power were not announced and will emerge once final contracts are negotiated and approved in the spring. But the onshore benefits, some of which had been teased during the evaluation process, were fully revealed — and the big one, the manufacturing facility at Brayton Point — was disclosed for the first time.

An Italian company called Prysmian Group plans to build a state-of-the-art manufacturing facility for subsea transmission cables at Brayton Point, employing about 200 people. Once completed, it will be the first piece of the US offshore wind supply chain to be located in Massachusetts.

The deal was put together by a team under Bill White, president and CEO of Avangrid Renewables Offshore, the company building Vineyard Wind and the firm selected on Friday to build a 1,200 megwatt wind farm called Commonwealth Wind off the coast of Massachusetts.

White said Avangrid is using one of Prysmian’s European plants as the cable supplier on Vineyard Wind and enticed the company to open a facility in Massachusetts by promising to use it as the supplier for both Commonwealth Wind and another Avangrid project off of Connecticut called Park City Wind.

“That gives them the certainty they need and they can see the pipeline ahead,” White said, referring to a host of offshore wind farms in development up and down the East Coast.

Throughout the bid review process, Avangrid teased many of the onshore benefits its project would provide, but never mentioned the Prysmian factory. White, however, confirmed the project was an integral part of the bid and indicated it was probably the reason his company landed the lion’s share of the contracts.  “Winning 1,200 megawatts triggers the commitments,” he said.

White said Avangrid is also investing millions of dollars in training for Massachusetts residents to qualify for the jobs coming with the onshore development. Mayflower Wind also promised millions of dollars for onshore development.

Friday’s announcement is huge news in the tiny town of Somerset. Brayton Point is a huge swath of land on the Somerset waterfront that has become a battleground between the town and the redeveloper of the property, which was once home to New England’s largest coal-fired power plant.

Judging from a rendering of the Prysmian plant provided by Avangrid, the facility will take up much of the area that the redeveloper of Brayton Point is currently leasing to a controversial scrap metal recycling operation.

Commercial Development Inc., the redeveloper of Brayton Point, had hoped to repurpose the property for the offshore wind industry originally, but when the Trump administration put the industry on hold for years the company leased a portion of the property to a scrap metal business. The dust and the truck traffic associated with the scrap metal business angered neighbors of Brayton Point, who mobilized against it. The two sides have been battling in court over the scrap metal operation and the fallout from that fight has polarized the community.

Kathy Souza, one of the leaders of the neighborhood group, ended up running for and winning a seat on Somerset’s Select Board. In a telephone interview on Friday, she said the manufacturing facility, if it gets built, would mean the town would finally get what it was promised when the redevelopment process began. She said she couldn’t be happier.

“We’re all for manufacturing,” she said. “We’ll welcome it with open arms. We hope they’ll be great neighbors. It looks to me like the manufacturing jobs we have all been waiting for all along.”

Officials at Commercial Development declined comment.

Brayton Point is also getting a lift from Mayflower Wind, which intends to bring the power generated by its new 400-megawatt wind farm ashore at Brayton Point, where it will feed into the regional electric grid using much the same connection that the coal-fired power plant used when it was operating. Mayflower intends to build a converter station at Brayton Point to convert the power coming from the wind farm for use on the power grid.

The converter station and the transmission cable manufacturing facility are likely to provide property tax revenues in Somerset that went missing when the town’s coal-fired power plant shut down.

Mayflower Wind said its proposal is accompanied by an economic development package that includes commitments to spend more than $42 million promoting onshore development.

Salem will also see its waterfront change as the Commonwealth Wind project moves forward. Avangrid said it plans to use a 42-acre section of the Salem waterfront, which was formerly previously home to a coal-fired power plant, as a staging area for Commonwealth Wind. Avangrid had teased the Salem project as a possibility during the bidding process, but now it is moving closer to reality.

image004-1024x683.jpg

Salem Mayor Kim Driscoll issued a statement saying she was thrilled. “This site has provided the electricity that powered our community and our Commonwealth for decades.,” she said. “Today, with this announcement, that legacy will continue with a new focus on a clean energy future, based on renewable power and with a commitment to real action to mitigate climate change.”

The two projects announced on Friday and the onshore economic development accompanying them comes at a time when leaders of the Massachusetts House are preparing legislation to support offshore wind and capture more onshore economic development. House officials say a requirement that each successive offshore wind project must come in at a lower price than the preceding one has to be scrapped if onshore development is going to take off. The procurements announced on Friday, which must come in below the price cap, suggest that may not be necessary.

In a statement released by the governor’s office, officials involved in the debate on Beacon Hill all highlighted the onshore development accompanying this procurement.

“In structuring the Commonwealth’s third offshore wind procurement, the Baker-Polito Administration focused on delivering enhanced economic benefits for Massachusetts residents, affordable pricing for ratepayers, and the development of a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workforce, and the projects selected through this competitive process deliver on those critical priorities,” said Energy and Environmental Affairs Secretary Kathleen Theoharides.

Meet the Author

Bruce Mohl

Editor, CommonWealth

“This round sees a wise balance struck between economic development, on the one hand, and protection against excessively high monthly electric bills for families, on the other,” said Sen. Michael Barrett of Lexington. “Going forward, this can serve as a model for us. So today’s announcement is important in its own right and important as a valuable precedent.”

House Speaker Ron Mariano indicated more work needs to be done. “Today’s announcement moves Massachusetts one step closer to achieving the ambitious offshore wind energy goals that the Legislature is continuously advancing,” Mariano said. “We look forward to continuing our progress in making Massachusetts a national leader in clean energy.”

I hope the wind turbines are beyond the horizon. That is a beautiful place and attracts a lot of visitors. 

How are the Cape projects doing?

• Haha 1

Just now, turbguy said:

Just cotton.

It's an old stocking...

It must be....and the oil business contributes a lot of input into clothing. Polyester, rayon, nylon, and some fake furs all use crude oil.

• Like 1

(edited)

2 hours ago, ronwagn said:

Have you ever seen a size 15 boot? Pedals need to be rearranged.

Don't be a muppet. Very, very few people have size 15 feet. Pedals are designed for the majority, even in ICE cars. Aftermarket modifications are available for the Tesla.

Edited by Jay McKinsey
  • Like 1

On 12/16/2021 at 5:28 PM, Eyes Wide Open said:

What a modern energy crisis looks like and why no country is safe

Megawattageddon. Gasapocalypse. Energastrophe.

Call it what you will, the energy market news coming out of the U.K. paints a dystopian image of what happens when an economy, making the righteous transition to affordable, clean, renewable power, has to turn to pricey gas to keep moving forward.

As the effects of the energy transition ripples across every corner of society, Britain’s experience is a cautionary tale for the rest of the world, an example of what can—and very likely will—go wrong as countries around the globe stumble on their transition to green energy.

https://fortune.com/2021/09/25/what-a-modern-energy-crisis-looks-like-and-why-no-country-is-safe/

Actually the UK has not "turned to gas" it's been 40%+ reliant on gas generation for years now.

See the below

https://grid.iamkate.com/

Over the last year the UK power generation is 23.5% renewable of which wind is the vast majority at 18.3%.

Are renewables reliable? NO!

Do you need a back up? Yes! Which we do have.

No blackouts have occurred due to lack of powergen (only storms).

The UK has been bent over and shafted due to its reliance on gas and the escalating demand and huge price increases.

The UK is diversifying which I think is sensible as long as we have enough alternatives for when renewables arent available. The new interconnector to Norway's pumped storage is a big positive.

Currently nuclear infrastructure is set to decline despite new build projects such as Hinkley Point C, Sizewell C etc and that does concern me.

8 hours ago, Jay McKinsey said:

Don't be a muppet. Very, very few people have size 15 feet. Pedals are designed for the majority, even in ICE cars. Aftermarket modifications are available for the Tesla.

How do you get a  modification?

• Haha 1

(edited)

11 hours ago, Ecocharger said:

It must be....and the oil business contributes a lot of input into clothing. Polyester, rayon, nylon, and some fake furs all use crude oil.

At least it isn't made from a coal-based material (although I think Nylon could be coal-based).

Edited by turbguy

How do you get a  modification?

Simply install a smaller brake pedal such as would be found in a manual transmission car.

(edited)

2 hours ago, Jay McKinsey said:

Simply install a smaller brake pedal such as would be found in a manual transmission car.

Why would that be simple? It usually isn't, the owners usually make do with what comes with the car. It is the responsibility of the manufacturer to make sure that the product is suitable for use. Otherwise a lawsuit could follow.

Edited by Ecocharger
  • Like 1

(edited)

5 hours ago, turbguy said:

At least it isn't made from a coal-based material (although I think Nylon could be coal-based).

Nylon is derived from coal. You going to hang some nylon stockings over the fireplace?

Edited by Ecocharger

(edited)

35 minutes ago, Ecocharger said:

Why would that be simple? It usually isn't, the owners usually make do with what comes with the car. It is the responsibility of the manufacturer to make sure that the product is suitable for use. Otherwise a lawsuit could follow.

Not all cars fit people of all sizes regardless of EV or ICE, duh. Replacing the brake pedal doesn't even require tools.,

Oh and something else that is way beyond your knowledge level - EVs have a thing called regenerative braking, you can drive them all day long for days on end and never once touch the brake pedal.

Edited by Jay McKinsey

(edited)

24 minutes ago, Ecocharger said:

If you are of a genuinely unusual size, the automaker only needs to make ‘reasonable’ accommodations.  If you are 4’ 8” ( like my grandmother was in her old age) or 7’ 3” (like Shaq) you won’t be able to drive any old car straight from the manufacturer.  My grandma had to select which vehicles she could choose to buy.  Shaq had a little civic ESX (the sports hatchback) in college.  To drive it he removed the drivers seat and sat in the back seat. When he started to make money he got cars made with custom work form him to be able to drive more comfortably. 

Edited by Eric Gagen
  • Great Response! 1

I doubt that my brother could drive in my Mirage if we ever drove it out there. He is only about 6 foot, 2 but has very long legs. 

(edited)

I doubt that my brother could drive in my Mirage if we ever drove it out there. He is only about 6 foot, 2 but has very long legs. 

But sadly you had to have that explained to you. Please find yourself on the following diagram:

Where Are You On The Dunning-Kruger Wiggle? | TrainingPeaks 

Edited by Jay McKinsey

8 hours ago, Jay McKinsey said:

Not all cars fit people of all sizes regardless of EV or ICE, duh. Replacing the brake pedal doesn't even require tools.,

Oh and something else that is way beyond your knowledge level - EVs have a thing called regenerative braking, you can drive them all day long for days on end and never once touch the brake pedal.

Pass those ideas along to the legal defense, I doubt that responsibility can be shuffled off on to the consumer.

8 hours ago, Eric Gagen said:

If you are of a genuinely unusual size, the automaker only needs to make ‘reasonable’ accommodations.  If you are 4’ 8” ( like my grandmother was in her old age) or 7’ 3” (like Shaq) you won’t be able to drive any old car straight from the manufacturer.  My grandma had to select which vehicles she could choose to buy.  Shaq had a little civic ESX (the sports hatchback) in college.  To drive it he removed the drivers seat and sat in the back seat. When he started to make money he got cars made with custom work form him to be able to drive more comfortably. 

What are the dimensions of the driver in this case? A giant guy? We will see the details as the case comes into court.

11 minutes ago, Jay McKinsey said:

But sadly you had to have that explained to you. Please find yourself on the following diagram:

Where Are You On The Dunning-Kruger Wiggle? | TrainingPeaks 

I already see a spot for you there, Jay.

• Haha 1

(edited)

6 minutes ago, Ecocharger said:

What are the dimensions of the driver in this case? A giant guy? We will see the details as the case comes into court.

The issue of size was presented by Ron and had nothing to do with the case at hand but of course that would require reading comprehension for you to understand.

Edited by Jay McKinsey

24 minutes ago, Ecocharger said:

Pass those ideas along to the legal defense, I doubt that responsibility can be shuffled off on to the consumer.

It is all the time. If you take a bottle full of drugs that kill you but it has appropriate warnings printed on the bottle then it is all on you. Are you really that dumb?

22 minutes ago, Ecocharger said:

I already see a spot for you there, Jay.

Yes, the far right point. You however are at the bottom of the middle.