JM

GREEN NEW DEAL = BLIZZARD OF LIES

25 minutes ago, Eric Gagen said:

As someone who has worked in the field, I can confidently say that a lot of  flaring is a result of unexpected situations and conditions, and the alternative is usually to start killing people (either by blowing them up, or poisoning them to death with H2S) However these issues are responsible for a tiny volume of the gas flared even if in terms of the # of instances they are high, because they tend to be for very short time periods (minutes to hours) and at very low rates (the volume of a tank, or a tubing volume from a well for example) The larger and MUCH more troubling flaring is 'routine' flaring related to continued production of oil and gas wells.  This is something that has been getting clamped down on harder and harder as time goes on, but IMHO Texas is still a bit on the relaxed side compared to a lot of other major hydrocarbon producing states, and could do with some more enforcement.  This is much better than the situation even 5 years ago however, where I would have characterized the rules on flaring and gas venting in Texas as '3rd world' as opposed to 'somewhat lax' now.  That said, enormous progress has been made, and I don't reasonably forsee a return to the 'bad old days' of large gas volumes being flared on a routine basis with rubber stamp permits. 

I think your very kind in calling Texas 3 rd world flaring 5 years ago much worse than today. The improvement to somewhat lax decision process went through what kind of decision process? My standard was pretty simple. I saw flaring from space and still can. I would say when the lit up area doesn’t look like Houston you made some progress. 

• Like 1

On 12/28/2021 at 9:55 AM, Eyes Wide Open said:

EU Natural Gas Prices Tumble For Fifth Straight Day

flotilla of U.S. liquefied natural gas carriers heading for Europe has brought relief to European gas buyers, pushing gas prices considerably lower. According to Bloomberg data, cited by Russia’s Sputnik, LNG cargos traveling from the U.S. to Europe rose by a third over the Christmas weekend.

20 tankers with U.S. LNG are traveling to Europe, and another 14 are headed in the same general direction awaiting further orders as desperate Europe became willing to pay a higher premium than buyers in Asia amid a persistent gas crunch that has seen prices break a series of records and forced some countries to reopen retired coal power plants.

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Natural-Gas/EU-Natural-Gas-Prices-Tumble-For-Fifth-Straight-Day.html

It is extraordinary to see such a event. How can Eropean leadership be so gullible? 

So to cut the Russians out of the nat gas market and still receive fair pricing, buy some long term contracts?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Boat said:

For the last 70 years oil demand has an average growth of 1.5 mbpd. So Covid trimmed a few million barrels of consumption per day. OPEC+ spare capacity was only 1-2 million barrels per day. Now it’s close to 5 mbpd. It’s to early to bring all of that oil on now. So no. Extra drilling is not needed for some time. OPEC and Russia have plenty of oil if their politics would sell it. Glad I could untwist some of that twisted logic for you. And no. Biden didn’t hurt US production. US production is still keeping up with US consumption without the need of any foreign oil. 
If you watch the drilled but uncompleted EIA chart you will see about 100 wells completed every month more than drilled. But there are plenty of those wells left so no problem. Trust the woke chart reading commenters. They won’t steal your money or attack the Capital. Lol

Then why did Biden cut down on oil leases of federal land, stop at least one major pipeline and ask OPEC to produce more oil? Canada was our main foreign source during Trump's era. They are planning shipments to China from British Columbia of natural gas and close to completion. 

https://www.capp.ca/explore/oil-and-natural-gas-pipelines/

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ronwagn said:

Then why did Biden cut down on oil leases of federal land, stop at least one major pipeline and ask OPEC to produce more oil? Canada was our main foreign source during Trump's era. They are planning shipments to China from British Columbia of natural gas and close to completion. 

https://www.capp.ca/explore/oil-and-natural-gas-pipelines/

First of all Canada oil exports continues to increase. The US doesn’t need most of the oil from Canada because our own producers continue to improve fracking. You still think we need foreign oil. That is not the case. Trump lied. American brains and ingenuity ended our dependence on foreign oil. They also produce enough nat gas that were net independent and are now exporting. Get oil/gas off the government teet like you want the poor off social programs. They are doing fine and making money now that Trump is gone. Just like oil/ gas did fine during Obama’s time. You really need to learn to read charts and data. History is a great source of data. Get some woke learning.

• Rolling Eye 1

2 minutes ago, Boat said:

First of all Canada oil exports continues to increase. The US doesn’t need most of the oil from Canada because our own producers continue to improve fracking. You still think we need foreign oil. That is not the case. Trump lied. American brains and ingenuity ended our dependence on foreign oil. They also produce enough nat gas that were net independent and are now exporting. Get oil/gas off the government teet like you want the poor off social programs. They are doing fine and making money now that Trump is gone. Just like oil/ gas did fine during Obama’s time. You really need to learn to read charts and data. History is a great source of data. Get some woke learning.

America's major imports have, in recent years come from Canada. We are exporters of oil and natural gas. I have been promoting natural gas for nine years or more. There is a nearly unending source of it in the world on land and at sea. Trump led us there by encouraging it. Biden has caused high prices by discouraging transport and production, then asking OPEC to sell more to us to lower prices. Many on this site want high wholesale and retail prices for oil and natural gas. I do not. I want fair prices. The wholesale retail spread has doubled with Biden. I have watched that for years to. I know how to read charts and data but they don't include inflation. At least not the ones I have seen for general use. Your comment makes no sense to me. 

43 minutes ago, Boat said:

So to cut the Russians out of the nat gas market and still receive fair pricing, buy some long term contracts?

So let us have some fun shall we! 

Call it the :"Art Of The Deal" for 1st graders. Below your take on this 50+ yr misunderstanding. 

Why Europe Matters: The Case for an Arms Control Negotiation Campaign

The global arms control architecture is crumbling. While this trend is often framed as a U.S.-Russia (or, sometimes, a U.S.-Russia-China) problem, the demise of the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty (INF) and the potential expiration of the New Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (START) on February 5, 2021, also severely affect the security of European states. The European Union can and should play a more effective role in influencing U.S.-Russia arms control negotiations. This is how.The global arms control architecture is crumbling. While this trend is often framed as a U.S.-Russia (or, sometimes, a U.S.-Russia-China) problem, the demise of the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty (INF) and the potential expiration of the New Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (START) on February 5, 2021, also severely affect the security of European states. The European Union can and should play a more effective role in influencing U.S.-Russia arms control negotiations. This is how.

52 minutes ago, Boat said:

For the last 70 years oil demand has an average growth of 1.5 mbpd. So Covid trimmed a few million barrels of consumption per day. OPEC+ spare capacity was only 1-2 million barrels per day. Now it’s close to 5 mbpd. It’s to early to bring all of that oil on now. So no. Extra drilling is not needed for some time. OPEC and Russia have plenty of oil if their politics would sell it. Glad I could untwist some of that twisted logic for you. And no. Biden didn’t hurt US production. US production is still keeping up with US consumption without the need of any foreign oil. 
If you watch the drilled but uncompleted EIA chart you will see about 100 wells completed every month more than drilled. But there are plenty of those wells left so no problem. Trust the woke chart reading commenters. They won’t steal your money or attack the Capital. Lol

Your numbers are in conflict with the article, BOAT. 

According to the article, in January 2021 OPEC+ spare capacity was 9 million bpd and is now about 5 million bpd, expected to fall to 4 million bpd next year. So that is a substantial decline.

And, no, Biden & Co. do not believe that production is sufficient to create affordable gasoline prices for Biden's own supporters, thus the recent hysteria in Washington about getting more out of OPEC. Glad I could unravel that mess for you.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Eyes Wide Open said:

So let us have some fun shall we! 

Call it the :"Art Of The Deal" for 1st graders. Below your take on this 50+ yr misunderstanding. 

Why Europe Matters: The Case for an Arms Control Negotiation Campaign

The global arms control architecture is crumbling. While this trend is often framed as a U.S.-Russia (or, sometimes, a U.S.-Russia-China) problem, the demise of the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty (INF) and the potential expiration of the New Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (START) on February 5, 2021, also severely affect the security of European states. The European Union can and should play a more effective role in influencing U.S.-Russia arms control negotiations. This is how.The global arms control architecture is crumbling. While this trend is often framed as a U.S.-Russia (or, sometimes, a U.S.-Russia-China) problem, the demise of the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty (INF) and the potential expiration of the New Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (START) on February 5, 2021, also severely affect the security of European states. The European Union can and should play a more effective role in influencing U.S.-Russia arms control negotiations. This is how.

The Europeans need to spend their own money on their self defense and quit relying on America so much. We are their unappreciated ally. They got themselves into their energy problems and should be willing to pay a higher price for natural gas that is not from Russia. It is not worthwhile for them. It is like selling your soul to the devil. LNG is their answer, in the longer term they can expand their green dreams as much as they want to, but not at the expense of their national security. They should begin by fully arming Ukraine to fight its threat from Russia. We should help, but they should be willing to stand with their neighbor against the Russian bear which is always knocking on new doors. 

• Great Response! 1

(edited)

2 hours ago, Eric Gagen said:

As someone who has worked in the field, I can confidently say that a lot of  flaring is a result of unexpected situations and conditions, and the alternative is usually to start killing people (either by blowing them up, or poisoning them to death with H2S) However these issues are responsible for a tiny volume of the gas flared even if in terms of the # of instances they are high, because they tend to be for very short time periods (minutes to hours) and at very low rates (the volume of a tank, or a tubing volume from a well for example) The larger and MUCH more troubling flaring is 'routine' flaring related to continued production of oil and gas wells.  This is something that has been getting clamped down on harder and harder as time goes on, but IMHO Texas is still a bit on the relaxed side compared to a lot of other major hydrocarbon producing states, and could do with some more enforcement.  This is much better than the situation even 5 years ago however, where I would have characterized the rules on flaring and gas venting in Texas as '3rd world' as opposed to 'somewhat lax' now.  That said, enormous progress has been made, and I don't reasonably forsee a return to the 'bad old days' of large gas volumes being flared on a routine basis with rubber stamp permits. 

A lot of those "unexpected situations" are not really unexpected.  It's when a process has gone out-of-control. They know that the process will sometimes go out-of-control which is why they have all the safety stuff.  It's just like wearing seat belts, you shouldn't crash everyday but you kind of know it will eventually happen.

Similarly, poor operators - like reckless drivers - end up using emergency devices more often.  They still deserve fines for emergency flares...

Edited by TailingsPond
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Ecocharger said:

Your numbers are in conflict with the article, BOAT. 

According to the article, in January 2021 OPEC+ spare capacity was 9 million bpd and is now about 5 million bpd, expected to fall to 4 million bpd next year. So that is a substantial decline.

And, no, Biden & Co. do not believe that production is sufficient to create affordable gasoline prices for Biden's own supporters, thus the recent hysteria in Washington about getting more out of OPEC. Glad I could unravel that mess for you.

Go look a few years back when OPEC+ was flooding the market and oil prices were low. At that time and for several years spare capacity was 1-2 million for OPEC+. This recent spare capacity we’re talking about is COVID driven and not normal. 
My opinion says your wrong about Biden because he should know as well as I do the US is FF independant. If we suddenly started importing foreign oil because US producers could not keep up then you would be right. But that is not the case. You should pay me to fact check your material before posting. I actually follow the FF market.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ronwagn said:

The Europeans need to spend their own money on their self defense and quit relying on America so much. We are their unappreciated ally. They got themselves into their energy problems and should be willing to pay a higher price for natural gas that is not from Russia. It is not worthwhile for them. It is like selling your soul to the devil. LNG is their answer, in the longer term they can expand their green dreams as much as they want to, but not at the expense of their national security. They should begin by fully arming Ukraine to fight its threat from Russia. We should help, but they should be willing to stand with their neighbor against the Russian bear which is always knocking on new doors. 

While true, I am awaiting the wizard.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, ronwagn said:

You blame Europe, I blame the Republicans and to a lesser extent the Dems. Those 800 bases on foreign shores only buy the military response time. If we had but a handful of bases it might take longer to respond but respond we could. It’s an expense we can’t afford for what little we get out of those bases. Did you know an F-35 can carry 8 missiles capable of killing a tank and shoot from 45 miles away. We have hundreds of them and our Allies have them also. Then the subs, long range missiles etc. We blow hundreds of billions on these bases. But this is like the biggest plank in the Republican ideology. Much of this spending is a waste for little gain. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TailingsPond said:

A lot of those "unexpected situations" are not really unexpected.  It's when a process has gone out-of-control. They know that the process will sometimes go out-of-control which is why they have all the safety stuff.  It's just like wearing seat belts, you shouldn't crash everyday but you kind of know it will eventually happen.

Similarly, poor operators - like reckless drivers - end up using emergency devices more often.  They still deserve fines for emergency flares...

Texas isn't Alberta, dipshit. 

• Haha 2
  • Downvote 1

Take for example Afghanistan. We should know from Vietnam you can control a country with ground troops only at a high price of troops and treasure. But any area can be controlled by air. Drones, missiles and aircraft is much cheaper and safer. Ground troops are so 1944. So why have ground troops sitting as ducks world wide? 

• Upvote 1

On 12/28/2021 at 8:49 AM, Old-Ruffneck said:

Permian_Basin.jpg

Yeah, one should get a grasp of Texas laws on flaring. Unless in the Permian (several large counties), flares used to be a matter of safety while the well was being drilled and upon completion and no permits were required. doubtful it's changed. There is a time limit on flares, you can check with each county and probly find online what the laws state, if there is a law. So the 69-84% of those wells may very well fall under the "old rule" of law where as is allowed to well is completed. No permits needed.

I have heard their are some recent changes to Texas laws on flaring though and that they were finally cracking down. 

New Mexico is loving all the tax income so I hope that they have more oil and gas discoveries there. 

(edited)

29 minutes ago, QuarterCenturyVet said:

Texas isn't Alberta, dipshit. 

Grow up.

Do some homework and see how many of the oil companies overlap between Texas and Alberta.  Then try to come up with a rebuttal not just insults.

Or just move to the states man.

Edited by TailingsPond

(edited)

16 minutes ago, TailingsPond said:

Grow up.

Do some homework and see how many of the oil companies overlap between Texas and Alberta.  Then try to come up with a rebuttal not just insults.

Companies do not matter, dildo. State and provincial regulations do. 

I'm not leaving the most ideologically free province in Canada. My vote will always cancel yours out, and my children and grandchildren will continue to out vote your dead bloodline. 

Edmonton is red. Alberta is blue. Whatever you think of me, I see Enthalpic is still you. 

Edited by QuarterCenturyVet
  • Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, TailingsPond said:

Grow up.

Rebuttal, none needed.

• Occam's razor: Simpler explanations are more likely to be correct; avoid unnecessary or improbable assumptions.
  • Dipshit while obtuse, it does fit rather succinctly.
  • Downvote 1

(edited)

2 hours ago, Boat said:

I think your very kind in calling Texas 3 rd world flaring 5 years ago much worse than today. The improvement to somewhat lax decision process went through what kind of decision process? My standard was pretty simple. I saw flaring from space and still can. I would say when the lit up area doesn’t look like Houston you made some progress. 

2020 new commissioners for the Texas Railroad Comission (oversight body for oil and gas operations) and a referendum on flaring.  Then in 2021, new rules from the state legislature.

Merely being able to ‘see’ flaring fromthe naked eye or a satellite is remarkably bad for determining volume.  It’s easy to be off by a factor of 100 or so on the volume of gas actually being flared based on visible data only.  Houston is an especially poor example, because there aren’t any wells there.  Any visible burning of hydrocarbons there is related to something other than production of oil or gas from wells.  If it is plant and process related (which it has to be) then a lit flare is required continuously by state and federal law at every facility conducting processing. This is NOT what is measured or gauged when statistics on gas flaring are concerned.  Most flares at plants and refineries are kept lit by butane or propane until a process flare off is required, and are not regulated (or measured) in the same statues as production flaring. 

Edited by Eric Gagen
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, TailingsPond said:

If it’s a process, then it’s at a plant, not at a well.  These are different circumstances and flaring or venting at these different places take place in very different volumes and for very different reasons.  Process flaring is usually mandatory as per state and federal regulations.  

(edited)

5 minutes ago, Eric Gagen said:

If it’s a process, then it’s at a plant, not at a well.  These are different circumstances and flaring or venting at these different places take place in very different volumes and for very different reasons.  Process flaring is usually mandatory as per state and federal regulations.  

The word process is also valid to wells.

"A series of actions or steps taken in order to achieve a particular end."  In this case to obtain petroleum.

I understand the reasons for flaring are different.

Edited by TailingsPond

(edited)

16 minutes ago, Eyes Wide Open said:

• Occam's razor: Simpler explanations are more likely to be correct; avoid unnecessary or improbable assumptions.

This also means avoid ridiculous conspiracies and fantasies. 

"Release the Kraken!" 

Eat crow

Edited by TailingsPond

3 minutes ago, TailingsPond said:

The word process is also valid to wells.

"A series of actions or steps taken in order to achieve a particular end."  In this case to obtain petroleum.

I understand the reasons for flaring are different.

Wells are production operations. Refineries and chemical production plants are processing operations.  These are specific technical terms to the energy industry.  No operation at a well site is processing and no operation at a plant is production. 

• Upvote 1

(edited)

5 minutes ago, Eric Gagen said:

Wells are production operations. Refineries and chemical production plants are processing operations.  These are specific technical terms to the energy industry.  No operation at a well site is processing and no operation at a plant is production. 

Sure, but words are words - they can be used according to their definition.

Oil industry slang is often pretty crude and not technically descriptive...

Edited by TailingsPond