JM

GREEN NEW DEAL = BLIZZARD OF LIES

1 hour ago, notsonice said:

your right ...I will be able to  meet friends at a bar.....have  more than 1 drink and not worry about a DUI. Wonder if the law will keep up with it and not give out DUI's  if you are sitting in the backseat with no driver???? Makes an EV with AI the king of the road in my book

Yep.  and there is a captive audience - first person to come up with a true self driving vehicle locks up the market for drunks who lost their licenses, drunks smart enough NOT to want to loose their licenses, little old ladies who never learned to drive, and old folks who don't feel comfortable driving after dark, and kids who aren't old enough to drive, but who are old enough to point at the cell phone map app telling the car where to go, and who have parents who 'send the car' for them.    

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, Boat said:

Ok, back to why I thought AI would cut the amount of vehicles bought. Most of my life I had a pickup for the dump, tree limbs, moving furniture and that extra ride to use when one of your other vehicles was in the shop. One pickup I had lasted 23 years and ran great when I sold it. Then my wife and I both had cars for work, shopping, etc. with AI my car total would be zero vrs 3. I am still mulling over the idea of more miles driven. I suppose it’s possible. 

It's not merely possible but I would bet literally anything on it.  There might possibly be fewer vehicles - for example 'your' car could take you somewhere for the day, then come back home, take your kids to school, then , get your dry cleaning and your lunch,  then pick teh kids up from school then go back to pick you up, but guess what - that car took a bunch of extra trips to avoid having a 2nd car and 2nd driver involved in the process.  

(edited)

2 hours ago, footeab@yahoo.com said:

Used cars are increasing in price massively.  Fewer to buy compared to need.  New cars are running longer which is good news, but dip in market. Why?  Ability to repair verses scrapping is increasing in favor of scrapping compared to repair which is actually largest reason for the pinch.  With hybrids, this problem is only increasing with increasing cost of repair vrs value, until someone starts making replacement batteries.  Good Luck. 

My current vehicle has over 230,000 miles.  It is eating 1 liter of oil every 1000 miles though so, and it has mice intrusion so... ug... Either new cylinders, or just find another.  Looking at Prius as I know I can get replacement batteries, but still requires the engine to run, so not exactly what I am looking for, and maybe Nissan Leaf, but the others... so far, no in terms of replacements for batteries.  . 

His Prius has ~ 180,000 miles - still on the original batteries, and no major repairs have been required - ever.  Not sure why you believe this is so difficult. You would expect that if they were showing serious maintenance issues that their prices would fall, or remain stable.  Not rise along with all the other used cars.

Edited by Eric Gagen
  • Upvote 1

(edited)

16 minutes ago, Eric Gagen said:

His Prius has ~ 180,000 miles - still on the original batteries, and no major repairs have been required - ever.  Not sure why you believe this is so difficult. 

Is today opposite day?  I was pointing out that the PRIUS is easy, and every other hybrid it is not.  180k miles... on same battery... Does he never drive anywhere farther than 10 miles?   I am actively looking to buy one.  Which date is it?  Original versions, batteries died quickly, but ~easy to replace.  Newer versions = ???

Edited by footeab@yahoo.com

(edited)

16 minutes ago, footeab@yahoo.com said:

Is today opposite day?  I was pointing out that the PRIUS is easy, and every other hybrid it is not.  180k miles... on same battery... Does he never drive anywhere farther than 10 miles?   I am actively looking to buy one.  Which date is it?  Original versions, batteries died quickly, but ~easy to replace.  Newer versions = ???

2007 IIRC.  He drives all over the place in N.W. Washington state.  His father in law used it to go to and from work ~ 30 miles each way in addition to other stuff. Which hybrids are 'hard' to maintain?  Genuinely curious - I haven't heard any bad news on this front. I mis understood your comment about the Prius.

Edited by Eric Gagen

9 hours ago, Jay McKinsey said:

And they keep coming true. That is why more police departments are buying EVs.

And the output and usage of fossil fuel vehicles keeps skyrocketing beyond belief....!!

(edited)

The demand for oil is hot and getting hotter, heated to the boiling point.

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Crude-Oil/Russias-SWIFT-Ban-Could-Send-Shockwaves-Through-Oil-And-Commodity-Markets.html

"Russia’s decision to invade Ukraine was originally met with a relatively tepid response from world leaders, but now sanctions are intensifying key Russian banks are banned from SWIFT.

The increasingly aggressive stance being taken by Western leaders against Russia’s invasion of Ukraine suggests Russia’s energy exports could yet be sanctioned.

It isn’t only oil and gas that will be affected by the SWIFT ban, with supply disruptions likely to occur for aluminum, copper, nickel, and cobalt among others."

Edited by Ecocharger
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Eric Gagen said:

Yep.  and there is a captive audience - first person to come up with a true self driving vehicle locks up the market for drunks who lost their licenses, drunks smart enough NOT to want to loose their licenses, little old ladies who never learned to drive, and old folks who don't feel comfortable driving after dark, and kids who aren't old enough to drive, but who are old enough to point at the cell phone map app telling the car where to go, and who have parents who 'send the car' for them.    

Did they not just cancel the self-driving experiment? I seem to recall reading that.

7 hours ago, Jay McKinsey said:

So you provide year old data when I gave you current data from Argonne National Lab. EV market share has doubled in each of the last two years!

Plug-In Vehicle Sales

A total of 53,465 plug-in vehicles (41,125 BEVs and 12,340 PHEVs) were sold during January 2022 in the United States, up 64.2% from the sales in January 2021. PEVs captured 5.39% of total LDV sales in this month.

https://www.anl.gov/es/light-duty-electric-drive-vehicles-monthly-sales-updates

Not "EV share", what a laugh, Jay, you old joker, but share of new vehicle sales, which is a tiny tiny fraction of total vehicle sales, less than 1%. 

If you cannot compete with market numbers, throw in the towel.

• Rolling Eye 1

13 minutes ago, Ecocharger said:

The demand for oil is hot and getting hotter, heated to the boiling point.

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Crude-Oil/Russias-SWIFT-Ban-Could-Send-Shockwaves-Through-Oil-And-Commodity-Markets.html

"Russia’s decision to invade Ukraine was originally met with a relatively tepid response from world leaders, but now sanctions are intensifying key Russian banks are banned from SWIFT.

The increasingly aggressive stance being taken by Western leaders against Russia’s invasion of Ukraine suggests Russia’s energy exports could yet be sanctioned.

It isn’t only oil and gas that will be affected by the SWIFT ban, with supply disruptions likely to occur for aluminum, copper, nickel, and cobalt among others."

You keep confusing supply and demand. Demand for oil is not increasing because of Ukraine but supply may be decreasing.

12 minutes ago, Ecocharger said:

Did they not just cancel the self-driving experiment? I seem to recall reading that.

Just your lack of reading comprehension and faulty memory.

(edited)

1 hour ago, Ecocharger said:

And the output and usage of fossil fuel vehicles keeps skyrocketing beyond belief....!!

Of course you can't provide evidence to support that claim because it is a bald faced lie.

Let's consider China, the world's largest vehicle producer. 

Output of ICE in 2020 was 18.75 million.

In 2021 it was 18 million, a decrease in ICE output of 750K.

http://en.caam.org.cn/Index/show/catid/53/id/1644.html

In Europe :

Registrations of new passenger cars in the EU slid by 2.4% in 2021, to 9.7 million vehicles, the worst performance since statistics began in 1990, according to data from the European Automobile Manufacturers Association (ACEA). https://www.euractiv.com/section/economy-jobs/news/chip-crisis-pushes-european-car-sales-to-new-low/

However Electrically-chargeable vehicles saw a strong increase in sales, making up 18.0% of total car registrations, up from a 10.5% share in 2020.https://www.acea.auto/fuel-pc/fuel-types-of-new-cars-battery-electric-9-1-hybrid-19-6-and-petrol-40-0-market-share-full-year-2021/

Edited by Jay McKinsey

(edited)

1 hour ago, Jay McKinsey said:

You keep confusing supply and demand. Demand for oil is not increasing because of Ukraine but supply may be decreasing.

The market fundamentals point to hot demand for oil and higher oil prices.

https://oilprice.com/Latest-Energy-News/World-News/Pierre-Andurand-Oil-Markets-Are-Worse-Off-Than-Many-Traders-Realise.html

"Popular hedge-fund manager Pierre Andurand is cautioning that the oil markets are worse off than many traders believe, according to the Wall Street Journal.

When asked why oil prices aren’t higher than they are given the grave situation in Ukraine, one manager of a $1 billion hedge fund has a frightening answer: it’s because traders just haven’t realized just how bad things are yet.

Andurand compared what’s happening now with the Russia/Ukraine crisis to the ostrich effect that took place during the early stages of the Covid-19 crisis: no one wants to believe how bad things are.

Regardless of what some believe, though, Andurand, chief investment officer at Andurand Capital Management, is banking on crude oil prices staying high, or even rising higher.

But that hasn’t stopped Andurand from believing that there is still room to sanction Russian oil.

Assuming that Russia exports 6.5 million barrels of oil per day, 2 million make their way to China and will keep making its way to China—sanctions or no sanctions. That leaves 4.5 million barrels per day. But if Urals keeps selling at a massive discount, China may increase its purchases, up to an additional 1.5 million barrels per day. The remaining 3 million barrels per day that flows to countries that would likely adhere to sanctions, is what the market would be short. Gulf producers could increase oil production by 1.5 million barrels, Andurand estimates, leaving 1.5 million barrels per day to be made up with coordinated SPR releases.

Whether Gulf producers could make up that shortfall or not is debatable, however, with OPEC+ not fulfilling its pledges under its production cut agreement. Estimates are that the group is still underproducing by a significant margin, and the speculation is that that is precisely because it cannot produce more."

Edited by Ecocharger

(edited)

1 hour ago, Jay McKinsey said:

Of course you can't provide evidence to support that claim because it is a bald faced lie.

Let's consider China, the world's largest vehicle producer. 

Output of ICE in 2020 was 18.75 million.

In 2021 it was 18 million, a decrease in ICE output of 750K.

http://en.caam.org.cn/Index/show/catid/53/id/1644.html

In Europe :

Registrations of new passenger cars in the EU slid by 2.4% in 2021, to 9.7 million vehicles, the worst performance since statistics began in 1990, according to data from the European Automobile Manufacturers Association (ACEA). https://www.euractiv.com/section/economy-jobs/news/chip-crisis-pushes-european-car-sales-to-new-low/

However Electrically-chargeable vehicles saw a strong increase in sales, making up 18.0% of total car registrations, up from a 10.5% share in 2020.https://www.acea.auto/fuel-pc/fuel-types-of-new-cars-battery-electric-9-1-hybrid-19-6-and-petrol-40-0-market-share-full-year-2021/

Look at your own numbers, ICE vehicles are increasing at a huge advantage over EVs, more than five times more in the new car market alone, and in the total vehicle market the dominance is much greater than that. You always were numerically challenged, Jay.

Edited by Ecocharger

(edited)

7 hours ago, Ecocharger said:

Look at your own numbers, ICE vehicles are increasing at a huge advantage over EVs, more than five times more in the new car market alone, and in the total vehicle market the dominance is much greater than that. You always were numerically challenged, Jay.

The numbers clearly show output of  ICE vehicles are decreasing and output of EVs are increasing. You always have been clueless.

Edited by Jay McKinsey

13 hours ago, Eyes Wide Open said:

It is time to no longer look forward towards empty promise's and delusional grandiose ideology. Now is the time to reflect on the Green Revolution, Soon to be re coined A Trail Of Tears.

Europe Energy Crisis Goes Global

To see climate politics turn really crazy, add fuel shortages and high prices.

That’s happening in Europe now thanks to home-heating and electricity prices up 300% at the wholesale level since last winter. In a quote echoed across the continent, one of British Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s parliamentary allies warned on the weekend of “catastrophic” damage to the government: “Elections are won and lost in people’s wallets.”

https://www.wsj.com/articles/europe-energy-crisis-goes-global-shortages-natural-gas-wind-solar-coal-russia-china-germany-11641335775

The issue for the UK is NOT the cost of renewables but the cost of NG which is 40% of all electricity generation in the UK and I'm sure I dont need to tell you how NG has skyrocketed in cost over the last 6 months.

7 hours ago, Rob Plant said:

The issue for the UK is NOT the cost of renewables but the cost of NG which is 40% of all electricity generation in the UK and I'm sure I dont need to tell you how NG has skyrocketed in cost over the last 6 months.

No, NG UK problem is HEATING.  Just as in most of Europe/USA.  Everyone switched to NG as their heating source.  Yes, it has come on stronger in terms of electrical generation, but its main function is keeping all those old folks at a toasty 25C to keep the sniffles away. 

2 hours ago, footeab@yahoo.com said:

No, NG UK problem is HEATING.  Just as in most of Europe/USA.  Everyone switched to NG as their heating source.  Yes, it has come on stronger in terms of electrical generation, but its main function is keeping all those old folks at a toasty 25C to keep the sniffles away. 

at a toasty 25C??? 77 degrees F???? you must live in a Sauna

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, notsonice said:

at a toasty 25C??? 77 degrees F???? you must live in a Sauna

I'm guessing you haven't ever been to the homes of some older folks.  Some keep it warmer than that.

11 hours ago, Rob Plant said:

Mr Plant I wish the UK only the best in this world of anarchy, the Great Reset is taking on a whole new dimension.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eric Gagen said:

I'm guessing you haven't ever been to the homes of some older folks.  Some keep it warmer than that.

77 degrees ???? maybe in Texas where people have so much gas that they can flare it. 70 - 72  is the norm ...even in homes of older folks...Unless you think when it is 40 degrees outside it is very cold out

20 hours ago, Jay McKinsey said:

The numbers clearly show output of  ICE vehicles are decreasing and output of EVs are increasing. You always have been clueless.

The numbers are clear., Jay, your own numbers, which show over 80% of new sales and a much higher percentage of total vehicle sales are ICE, adding many more ICE vehicles to the total, well ahead of EVs. I guess you really did skip those econometrics classes, it is becoming clear as daylight.

Right?

(edited)

What is this I hear!  The clear and unmistakable groans from the guy in charge, it sounds clearly like, yes, "Uncle!" No, not "Uncle Sam", just "Uncle!"

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Crude-Oil/White-House-Quietly-Calls-On-US-Oil-Companies-To-Increase-Production.html

"Though words are different than deeds—and President Joe Biden’s deeds have been decisively anti-fossil fuel expansion—a White House official told U.S. oil companies on Tuesday that they could increase production if they want.

“Prices are quite high, the price signal is strong. If folks want to produce more, they can and they should,” White House National Economic Council Deputy Director Bharat Ramamurti said in an interview today.

While the words fell short of an official request to U.S. oil companies to increase production, it is decidedly different from ignoring U.S. oil companies’ production plans altogether while asking OPEC+ to do the heavy lifting when it comes to oil production—to no avail, no less.

Ramamurti also dispelled the notion that the U.S. Administration was somehow curtailing crude oil production."

Edited by Ecocharger

(edited)

47 minutes ago, Ecocharger said:

The numbers are clear., Jay, your own numbers, which show over 80% of new sales and a much higher percentage of total vehicle sales are ICE, adding many more ICE vehicles to the total, well ahead of EVs. I guess you really did skip those econometrics classes, it is becoming clear as daylight.

Right?

Wrong. Only an imbecile thinks cars last forever. Every year about as many old cars retire from the fleet as new cars are added. Currently 100% of those old cars are ICE. In China and Europe the new cars are 18% EV. Thus the total number of ICE cars is decreasing every year and EVs are increasing.

Further, you said "And the output and usage of fossil fuel vehicles keeps skyrocketing beyond belief....!!" The annual output of used cars is exactly the same as the annual output of new cars. The annual output of new ICE cars is decreasing rapidly as EVs increase.

Edited by Jay McKinsey

15 hours ago, footeab@yahoo.com said:

Actually yes 40% NG is used in electricity generation, the largest single fuel source see below.

https://grid.iamkate.com/

I agree that heating and cooking are heavily reliant on NG as well in the UK, however from 2023 20% of NG is being replaced by hydrogen which will be mixed into the existing NG network so that will make the UK even less reliant on NG which I dont see reducing in price any time soon.