JM

GREEN NEW DEAL = BLIZZARD OF LIES

Sea level rise will most affect the property lines of Florida's coastal counties, a new report says

WUSF Public Media - WUSF 89.7 | By Jessica Meszaros
Published September 9, 2022 at 5:43 AM EDT
  •  

?url=http%3A%2F%2Fnpr-brightspot.s3.amaz

Climate Central
/
Courtesy

Rising seas will shift tidal boundaries, leading to the loss of taxable properties, according to a new study. This is expected to impact the tax base of hundreds of U.S. coastal counties, with Florida being the state most affected.

A new analysis released Thursday highlights how sea level rise will change private property boundaries along coastal areas.

Using the latest climate models and current emissions data, researchers with Climate Central, a nonprofit news organization that analyzes and reports on climate science, have determined that private property owners across the U.S. will lose an area the size of New Jersey by the year 2050.

“By mid-century, more than 648,000 individual tax parcels, totaling as many as 4.4 million acres, are projected to be at least partly below the relevant tidal boundary level," according to the report. "Of those, more than 48,000 properties may be entirely below the relevant boundary level. Florida, Louisiana, and Texas have the largest number of affected parcels.”

Don Bain, an engineer and senior advisor for Climate Central, said Florida has the most properties that will be impacted — more than 140,000 by 2050.

His team generated more than 250 individual county reports to identify any potential movements of public-private property boundaries. He said the losses will result in less property tax revenue.

Click here to find analysis results in your county

“It's very situational dependent upon the county, how much they're dependent upon property tax revenues and the potential impact to those revenues as a result of the loss of the current tax land tax base,” Bain said.

“It's not only a question of losing the revenue associated with property tax, but very often it comes at the same time you're having to spend money on flooding, interventions clean up, and etc. So, while revenues are going down, quite often, expenses are going up.”

Climate Central
/
Courtesy

Monroe and Miami-Dade counties will be most affected in Florida, according to Bain.

In Monroe, the study finds that 46,324 land parcels, or 52% of the 89,009 total, with a current taxable land value of $3.47 billion are projected to be in the annual flood risk zone by 2050.

And for Miami-Dade, 14,135 land parcels, or 2.4% of the 580,031 total, worth $3.81 billion for tax purposes will be in the annual flood risk zone by mid-century.

Within the greater Tampa Bay region, Pinellas County has the costliest tax revenue loss at $2.19 billion — 24,345 land parcels projected to be in the annual flood risk zone, or 5.6% of the 435,565 total by 2050.

By that time in Hillsborough County, the parcel loss will be less than half of that in Pinellas at 10,186, or 2% of the 507,147 total, with a current taxable land value of $492.96 million.

It’s not just coastal counties that will be affected with the shifting tidal boundaries, Bain said.

"Below the ground, there's also a boundary. It's a boundary between saltwater and freshwater. And that boundary extends significantly inland. And that boundary moves as the boundary on the surface moves, as well,” Bain said.

“So, it's moving inland. The consequence of that is you find saltwater intrusion in the freshwater wells."

But Bain called himself an optimist and said there are some ways to create resilience at the community level, like preventing growth in high-risk areas, and participating in the National Flood Insurance Program.

“We encourage people to use science-based analysis like we've done here to inform their investments — in these investments and adaptation include things like improving the stormwater system, potentially implementing intervention trends like levees and storm walls or sea walls where they're possible,” Bain said.

“Lastly, we encourage citizens to get educated and to participate in the planning … so they can be part of designing a better future for these cities as we're forced to move and adapt.”

5 hours ago, notsonice said:

Sea level rise will most affect the property lines of Florida's coastal counties, a new report says

•  

Climate Central
/
Courtesy

Rising seas will shift tidal boundaries, leading to the loss of taxable properties, according to a new study. This is expected to impact the tax base of hundreds of U.S. coastal counties, with Florida being the state most affected.

A new analysis released Thursday highlights how sea level rise will change private property boundaries along coastal areas.

Using the latest climate models and current emissions data, researchers with Climate Central, a nonprofit news organization that analyzes and reports on climate science, have determined that private property owners across the U.S. will lose an area the size of New Jersey by the year 2050.

“By mid-century, more than 648,000 individual tax parcels, totaling as many as 4.4 million acres, are projected to be at least partly below the relevant tidal boundary level," according to the report. "Of those, more than 48,000 properties may be entirely below the relevant boundary level. Florida, Louisiana, and Texas have the largest number of affected parcels.”

Don Bain, an engineer and senior advisor for Climate Central, said Florida has the most properties that will be impacted — more than 140,000 by 2050.

His team generated more than 250 individual county reports to identify any potential movements of public-private property boundaries. He said the losses will result in less property tax revenue.

“It's very situational dependent upon the county, how much they're dependent upon property tax revenues and the potential impact to those revenues as a result of the loss of the current tax land tax base,” Bain said.

“It's not only a question of losing the revenue associated with property tax, but very often it comes at the same time you're having to spend money on flooding, interventions clean up, and etc. So, while revenues are going down, quite often, expenses are going up.”

Climate Central
/
Courtesy

Monroe and Miami-Dade counties will be most affected in Florida, according to Bain.

In Monroe, the study finds that 46,324 land parcels, or 52% of the 89,009 total, with a current taxable land value of $3.47 billion are projected to be in the annual flood risk zone by 2050.

And for Miami-Dade, 14,135 land parcels, or 2.4% of the 580,031 total, worth $3.81 billion for tax purposes will be in the annual flood risk zone by mid-century.

Within the greater Tampa Bay region, Pinellas County has the costliest tax revenue loss at $2.19 billion — 24,345 land parcels projected to be in the annual flood risk zone, or 5.6% of the 435,565 total by 2050.

By that time in Hillsborough County, the parcel loss will be less than half of that in Pinellas at 10,186, or 2% of the 507,147 total, with a current taxable land value of $492.96 million.

It’s not just coastal counties that will be affected with the shifting tidal boundaries, Bain said.

"Below the ground, there's also a boundary. It's a boundary between saltwater and freshwater. And that boundary extends significantly inland. And that boundary moves as the boundary on the surface moves, as well,” Bain said.

“So, it's moving inland. The consequence of that is you find saltwater intrusion in the freshwater wells."

But Bain called himself an optimist and said there are some ways to create resilience at the community level, like preventing growth in high-risk areas, and participating in the National Flood Insurance Program.

“We encourage people to use science-based analysis like we've done here to inform their investments — in these investments and adaptation include things like improving the stormwater system, potentially implementing intervention trends like levees and storm walls or sea walls where they're possible,” Bain said.

“Lastly, we encourage citizens to get educated and to participate in the planning … so they can be part of designing a better future for these cities as we're forced to move and adapt.”

I am not a believer in what you, the goverment, and climate change folks predicting 2050 levels of the seas. In 7 years we could actually go into an several year extreme "cold" snap.......my prediction is as sound as yours. Goverment "stoked" fear to raise the price of goods and services is not a new concept and some such as yourself bought it hook line and sinker. Noah constructed an ark and the world was under water. There is proof and hopefully your a believer. And here we are maybe at a point where it'll totally flood again. I have a feeling your not the kind of person who believes what is written in the "Good Book" aka the "Bible." I am ready, have had a decent life and raised my kids to best of my ability and my grand-children all have faith. My condolences if you're not a "believer" in the scriptures. 

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Old-Ruffneck said:

I am not a believer in what you, the goverment, and climate change folks predicting 2050 levels of the seas. In 7 years we could actually go into an several year extreme "cold" snap.......my prediction is as sound as yours. Goverment "stoked" fear to raise the price of goods and services is not a new concept and some such as yourself bought it hook line and sinker. Noah constructed an ark and the world was under water. There is proof and hopefully your a believer. And here we are maybe at a point where it'll totally flood again. I have a feeling your not the kind of person who believes what is written in the "Good Book" aka the "Bible." I am ready, have had a decent life and raised my kids to best of my ability and my grand-children all have faith. My condolences if you're not a "believer" in the scriptures. 

Perfect example of right wing denialism.  He even invoked the "God" clause.

Do you really believe that Noah brought two of each animal on a boat?  Is killing nearly everyone and everything on earth a sin?

You were just saying the sea levels haven't rose now you are claiming it may flood again?

FYI the bible says God would never flood the world again.

22 hours ago, Old-Ruffneck said:

Don't think the sea-levels have risen even the slightest tenths of an inch in 35 years.

QFP

(edited)

1 hour ago, Old-Ruffneck said:

And here we are maybe at a point where it'll totally flood again.

QFP

*laugh*

This shit is comedy gold.

Edited by TailingsPond

1 hour ago, Old-Ruffneck said:

Noah? You mean Utnapishtim

• Upvote 2

(edited)

2 hours ago, TailingsPond said:

And here we are maybe at a point where it'll totally flood again.

keyword, maybe........

could freeze over too........that's the issue, projecting and predicting weather 27 years ahead is 

QFP

*laugh*

This shit is comedy gold.

That was my point Y.F.I.

Edited by Old-Ruffneck

(edited)

People that choose not to educated themselves and remain ignorant are stupid. You cannot argue with them.  They have decided to reject reality.  One hundred thousand years ago natural selection would take care of them so they don't pollute the gene pool   Now a days not so much. In mass they can take action that kill us all or at least makes life crap. That said the world has woken up and realizes the lies of the oil and coal industry. 

Edited by bloodman33
money

On 8/8/2023 at 11:38 PM, TailingsPond said:

"No one has ever argued that anthropogenic impacts on climate did not exist, that is your own wild fantasy."

-Ecocharger

*cough*

eco.gif

You still haven't caught up with that conversation? Some people are resistant to simple learning.

16 hours ago, notsonice said:

•  

Climate Central
/
Courtesy

Climate Central
/
Courtesy

Wild nonsense, any model that pretends to relate CO2 to climate change is simply unaware of the new research.

On 8/8/2023 at 9:17 PM, Eyes Wide Open said:

Meanwhile.....Just another failure in Green Energy.

Tesla’s rivals are launching more and more EV competitors to Musk’s behemoth. The problem is most just aren’t very good

August 2, 2023 at 2:39 AM PDT

https://fortune.com/2023/08/02/elon-musk-tesla-market-electric-vehicles-mazda-byd-mercedes-bmw-volkswagen/

How is Tesla an EV producer who dominates the market mean Green Energy is a failure?? You state that most of their competition just arent good enough, but surely that means that Tesla produce an excellent economic product and have been the market leadero pf a fledgling industry for a decade.

Asking for your friend who also doesnt understand.

2 minutes ago, Rob Plant said:

How is Tesla an EV producer who dominates the market mean Green Energy is a failure?? You state that most of their competition just arent good enough, but surely that means that Tesla produce an excellent economic product and have been the market leadero pf a fledgling industry for a decade.

Asking for your friend who also doesnt understand.

Tesla's are also piling up on the sales lots, indicating that the market is saturated.

It is a NICHE market. Limited demand for the product.

That is not hard to understand.

10 hours ago, TailingsPond said:

Perfect example of right wing denialism.  He even invoked the "God" clause.

Do you really believe that Noah brought two of each animal on a boat?  Is killing nearly everyone and everything on earth a sin?

You were just saying the sea levels haven't rose now you are claiming it may flood again?

FYI the bible says God would never flood the world again.

I'm interested in how Noah worked out which species of insect was male and female when its impossible to tell with the naked eye, and also how did all the fresh water fish and other species survive? 🤔

It must have been one helluva boat, bigger than anything that has ever been built before and where did he get all the food for all of the animals from let alone find all of the animals in the first place? God?

3 minutes ago, Rob Plant said:

I'm interested in how Noah worked out which species of insect was male and female when its impossible to tell with the naked eye, and also how did all the fresh water fish and other species survive? 🤔

It must have been one helluva boat, bigger than anything that has ever been built before and where did he get all the food for all of the animals from let alone find all of the animals in the first place? God?

Ask your climate change gurus, if they can believe in CO2 as the cause of global warming, they can explain Noah's Ark. 

8 minutes ago, Ecocharger said:

Tesla's are also piling up on the sales lots, indicating that the market is saturated.

It is a NICHE market. Limited demand for the product.

Eco you couldnt be more wrong if you tried.

Supply has finally caught up with demand!

Those cars will be sold, sales figures as I have already provided the data for are continuing to rise quickly, auto manufacturers are gearing up for a non ICE world. If you really cant or refuse to see that then there's no point in arguing with you anymore.

Just now, Ecocharger said:

Ask your climate change gurus, if they can believe in CO2 as the cause of global warming, they can explain Noah's Ark. 

Nope nobody can explain Noah's ark, apart from well yeah it was God who sorted it all for him.

13 minutes ago, Ecocharger said:

It seems to be for you

Just now, Rob Plant said:

Eco you couldnt be more wrong if you tried.

Supply has finally caught up with demand!

Those cars will be sold, sales figures as I have already provided the data for are continuing to rise quickly, auto manufacturers are gearing up for a non ICE world. If you really cant or refuse to see that then there's no point in arguing with you anymore.

Look at the numbers, sales are stalling and the EVs are piling up on the lots.

We have already given you the numbers several times, your refusal to see the facts indicates a bias beyond reason.

• Rolling Eye 1

(edited)

Nope nobody can explain Noah's ark, apart from well yeah it was God who sorted it all for him.

Your climate gurus should have no trouble explaining Noah's Ark if they can believe in the CO2 fairy.

They have unbridled imagination.

Edited by Ecocharger

Just now, Ecocharger said:

Look at the numbers, sales are stalling and the EVs are piling up on the lots.

We have already given you the numbers several times, your refusal to see the facts indicates a bias beyond reason.

Sigh!

Here it is again then just for you

Electric car sales are expected to continue strongly through 2023. Over 2.3 million electric cars were sold in the first quarter, about 25% more than in the same period last year. We currently expect to see 14 million in sales by the end of 2023, representing a 35% year-on-year increase with new purchases accelerating in the second half of this year. As a result, electric cars could account for 18% of total car sales across the full calendar year.

https://www.iea.org/reports/global-ev-outlook-2023/executive-summary

2 minutes ago, Ecocharger said:

Your climate gurus should have no trouble explaining Noah's Ark if they can believe in the CO2 fairy.

They have unbridled imagination.

I have no climate gurus and if I had how does Noah figure in their modelling?

Ahh sea rise from Co2

Personally I think there is certainly a correlation between man's reliance on FF that maybe has accelerated a change in global climate but frankly I think nobody can really know for certain if this is just a solar cycle as you believe or Co2 or maybe both.

Temperatures are getting hotter but we just dont know enough as of yet IMO.

https://climate.nasa.gov/vital-signs/global-temperature/

Is the world going to end if temperatures rise by 1.5C, clearly not as its been 12-14C hotter previously on earth, so no I dont believe in the scare mongering. However I do think we live in a very polluted world and that is largely down to the oil industry (of which I mainly work in) and that needs to change, from air pollution to plastics pollution in the oceans.

Yes FF have moved millions out of poverty and that is an amazing achievement but we have alternatives now.

That is why EV's are a good thing when they come from Green Energy electricity. Green energy is NOT the devil!

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Rob Plant said:

Sigh!

Here it is again then just for you

Electric car sales are expected to continue strongly through 2023. Over 2.3 million electric cars were sold in the first quarter, about 25% more than in the same period last year. We currently expect to see 14 million in sales by the end of 2023, representing a 35% year-on-year increase with new purchases accelerating in the second half of this year. As a result, electric cars could account for 18% of total car sales across the full calendar year.

https://www.iea.org/reports/global-ev-outlook-2023/executive-summary

In America the EVs are piling up on the sales lots, we have already shown you the data.

Many of those Chines products are not for use, I gave you the link. They are merely investment schemes to use government support.

• Rolling Eye 1

I have no climate gurus and if I had how does Noah figure in their modelling?

Ahh sea rise from Co2

Personally I think there is certainly a correlation between man's reliance on FF that maybe has accelerated a change in global climate but frankly I think nobody can really know for certain if this is just a solar cycle as you believe or Co2 or maybe both.

Temperatures are getting hotter but we just dont know enough as of yet IMO.

https://climate.nasa.gov/vital-signs/global-temperature/

Is the world going to end if temperatures rise by 1.5C, clearly not as its been 12-14C hotter previously on earth, so no I dont believe in the scare mongering. However I do think we live in a very polluted world and that is largely down to the oil industry (of which I mainly work in) and that needs to change, from air pollution to plastics pollution in the oceans.

Yes FF have moved millions out of poverty and that is an amazing achievement but we have alternatives now.

That is why EV's are a good thing when they come from Green Energy electricity. Green energy is NOT the devil!

There are no alternatives for mass private transportation. EVs are not the answer.

(edited)

9 minutes ago, Ecocharger said:

There are no alternatives for mass private transportation. EVs are not the answer.

Really? Or is that just your opinion (no data to back up your claim)? Facts as per the link below suggest your opinion is out of date dont ya think?

Tell that to Norway who has a population of 5.5 million

New data out of Norway shows plug-in electric vehicles have hit a staggering 91% share of new car sales for the month of May 2023.

https://thedriven.io/2023/06/02/norwegian-new-vehicle-emissions-plunge-as-plug-in-electrics-hit-stunning-91-market-share/#:~:text=New data out of Norway shows plug-in electric,car sales for the month of May 2023.

Edited by Rob Plant

20 minutes ago, Rob Plant said:

Really? Or is that just your opinion (no data to back up your claim)? Facts as per the link below suggest your opinion is out of date dont ya think?

Tell that to Norway who has a population of 5.5 million

New data out of Norway shows plug-in electric vehicles have hit a staggering 91% share of new car sales for the month of May 2023.

https://thedriven.io/2023/06/02/norwegian-new-vehicle-emissions-plunge-as-plug-in-electrics-hit-stunning-91-market-share/#:~:text=New data out of Norway shows plug-in electric,car sales for the month of May 2023.

Plug-ins are fossil fuel cars, get real.