JM

GREEN NEW DEAL = BLIZZARD OF LIES

(edited)

8 hours ago, AlBub said:

Fter doing away with oil and other so-called fossil fuels, you will deal with the "very often" black-out!

A question...

How many black-outs, due to lack of adequate generation to meet demand, have you experienced in the last year?

Note:  distribution circuit caused black-outs don't count.  You get those using ANY source of generation.

BTW, Oil and nat gas ain't going away for years.  There's way too much money in those sources.

Edited by turbguy

On 9/8/2023 at 6:58 PM, Ecocharger said:

Wind power is an endless quagmire of  huge government cash support which would bankrupt even the largest nations' national budgets.

This is a sewer for tax money to be wasted on.

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/orsted-ceo-says-abandoning-us-wind-projects-real-option-bloomberg-news-2023-09-05/

"Denmark's Orsted (ORSTED.CO), the world's largest offshore wind farm developer, is prepared to walk away from projects in the U.S. unless the Biden administration guarantees more support, Bloomberg News reported on Tuesday, citing the company's CEO."

And yet you dont mention solar! as I showed you it doesnt matter day or night solar will still drive a steam turbine!

Wind power I will agree that it depends on geography as to how successful this is. The UK where I live its an excellent source of free fuel energy, but its also one of the best places in the world to have a wind farm.

• Rolling Eye 1

(edited)

Coal is still King of Electricity.

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/Renewables-Are-Gaining-Ground-But-Coal-Is-Still-King.html

"Coal remains the primary global electricity source at 35.4% in 2022, with China consuming over half of global coal demand.

Renewables, including wind, solar, and geothermal, experienced a remarkable 14.7% growth, representing 14.4% of total electricity generation.

France's nuclear energy usage plummeted by 22% due to disruptions, turning the country from a significant electricity exporter to an importer."

Edited by Ecocharger

On 9/8/2023 at 5:34 PM, notsonice said:

Back to the GREEN NEW DEAL

attaboy Sleepy Joe....Coal is Toast...in ten more years in the US do not expect any Coal fired plants to fire up much

then next up Nat Gas........the new plants being built today.... just replacements for old Nat gas fired boilers that were coal conversions.........

Writing is on the wall.......

CLEAN TECHNICA

U.S. Solar Installations in 2023 Expected to Exceed 30 GW for First Time in History

1af0065b6d1c33ea4e235bf473f70091?s=40&d=

WASHINGTON D.C. — The U.S. solar industry expects to add a record 32 gigawatts (GW) of new capacity in 2023, a 52% increase from 2022, according to the U.S. Solar Market Insight Q3 2023 report released today by the Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA) and Wood Mackenzie.

US-Electricity-Additions-by-Year.png

The solar market has been hampered in recent years by supply chain challenges brought on by the COVID-19 pandemic and exacerbated by restrictive trade policy. These challenges are beginning to abate, and as policies in the Inflation Reduction Act (IRA) take hold, Wood Mackenzie expects total operating solar capacity to grow from 153 GW today to 375 GW by 2028.

“The United States is now a dominant player in the global clean energy economy, and states like Florida, Texas, Ohio, and Georgia are at the forefront of this job growth and economic prosperity,” said SEIA president and CEO Abigail Ross Hopper. “The solar and storage industry is delivering abundant clean energy that is generating tens of billions of dollars of private investment, and this is just the tip of the iceberg.”

A surge of new domestic manufacturing investments is also expected to improve supply conditions over the next few years. If these factory announcements materialize, by 2026 U.S. solar module manufacturing output will be ten times greater than it is today.

The utility-scale and residential solar markets led the way with new capacity additions in Q2, growing by 3.3 GW and 1.8 GW, respectively. This marks the largest quarter of growth for the residential solar market in history as customers in California rushed to install solar before changes to net metering rules took effect.

“In the year since its passage, the IRA has undoubtedly caused a wave of optimism across the solar industry. Announcements for domestic module manufacturing have exploded, promising more stable solar module supply in the future,” said Michelle Davis, Head of Global Solar at Wood Mackenzie. “Now the challenge becomes implementation — the industry is waiting for clarity on several IRA provisions before moving forward with solar investments.”

The commercial solar market declined in Q2 primarily due to project interconnection backlogs and a hesitancy to move forward with projects before having full clarity on the IRA’s tax credit adders. Despite these challenges, increasing energy prices in certain states is driving demand in the commercial solar market, and the sector is expected to grow by 11% in 2023.

Florida continues to dominate the 2023 state solar rankings, installing 2.5 GW of new capacity in the first half of this year. This is 52% more than the next highest state of California, and already more solar capacity than Florida has ever installed in a single year.

Learn more at seia.org/smi.

The reality is different, and this is only electricity not oil and gasoline: Natural gas is the leading source of electricity generation in Florida. In 2021, it accounted for more than three quarters of the power generated in the U.S. state. Nuclear power followed in second, but by a wide margin, representing some 11.5 percent of Florida's electricity production that year.Apr 11, 2023

• Upvote 1

(edited)

It is good to remember that even the heavily biased UN can still be observant of realities of the energy market. The last COP meeting had some reality adjustments.

The final communique called for a vast increase in fossil fuel production world-wide.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/daneberhart/2022/11/16/oil-producers-deliver-reality-check-at-cop27-climate-summit/?sh=a4957f75d370

"The COP27 climate conference in Egypt has been tough sledding for climate activists. Energy security concerns and shortages in traditional fossil fuels – which still power the vast majority of the global economy – are rightfully stealing the show.

You know it’s bad when the EU’s climate chief becomes the voice of reason on energy security.

“If we can’t get our citizens and industries through the winter, there will not be a climate policy left,” Franz Timmerman said before his journey to the resort town of Sharm el-Sheikh for the annual U.N. climate confab.""

Edited by Ecocharger

(edited)

Reality is beginning to sink in the EU with many member states in opposition to the energy transition.

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/Cost-Of-Living-Crisis-Threatens-EU-Energy-Transition.html

"Poland filed a lawsuit against the EU about some of Brussels' climate policies, arguing that these would impose an unbearable burden on its citizens.

One of these policies was the planned ban on new internal combustion engine car sales from 2035, which the European Commission believes would be a major step towards moving to a low-carbon future.

"The contested regulation imposes excessive burdens connected with the transition towards zero-emission mobility on European citizens, especially those who are less well off, as well as on the European automotive companies sector," Poland said.

The Central European country also railed against national emission reduction targets, saying these would undermine its energy security. Poland is overwhelmingly dependent on coal for its power generation.

Germany, for all its efforts to reduce its dependence on hydrocarbons, also recently increased its dependence on coal: utility RWE recently began dismantling a wind farm in order to expand a lignite coal mine after the government shut down Germany's last three nuclear reactors.

France is also against some new climate policies pushed by Brussels, specifically rules concerning levels of exhaust pipe emissions, along with another seven member states. These include Poland again, Bulgaria, Hungary, Italy, Romania, the Czech Republic, and Slovakia."

Edited by Ecocharger

On 9/8/2023 at 3:46 PM, turbguy said:

You do realize that, even in the minimum conditions, wind a solar in Texas produces about the same as FIVE large nuclear units running pedal to the metal, no?  And that wind and solar output RELIABLY matches predictions, no?  Even during the February, 2021 event!

The USA has had sporadic difficulty with "grid stability" since the time of Westinghouse (and Edison), particularly during extreme weather conditions.  You want 100% reliable electric power to supply 100% of electric demand, 100% of the time?  THAT ain't gonna happen.

• In February 2021, a winter storm caused widespread power outages across Texas. The outages affected over 4 million customers and lasted for several days.
  • In June 2022, a heat wave caused power outages in several parts of Texas. The outages affected over 100,000 customers and lasted for several hours.
  • In 2023, persistent heat waves required ERCOT to issue public warnings to reduce demand.  They probably will do that again, TODAY.

Just consider the displacement of fuel consumption, alone, that those sources reliably provide.

Are there issues to contend with?  Sure!  There's not enough wind and solar, coupled with storage, to displace all fossil or nuclear generation.  That requires back-up supply availability.  Texas has begun to increase demand response, build more transmission, increase the reserve margin. Texas could do more, such as increase interchange capability with the SWPP.

Nat gas, Nuclear, and Coal generation is gonna be with ERCOT (and the USA) for quite a while, as long as the fuel can be processed and delivered reliably during extreme weather conditions.

I lived it as I am in Texas. Before we cluttered the landscape with birdbeating windmills and ground heating solar panels, I had never experienced an outage over four or five hours in my entire life - in a rural area even. I've been around over 60 years so I have a little background to work on. The cold spell in 2021 caught everyone unaware because when one system went down, it had a domino effect. Gas had problems because they hadn't winterized. The helicopters did do a great job of de-icing the wind turbines though - it made a great picture.

The fact is that before wind and solar became so widely used adding fluctuation to the power supply, we didn't have those problems. PERIOD!

(edited)

12 hours ago, AlBub said:

I lived it as I am in Texas. Before we cluttered the landscape with birdbeating windmills and ground heating solar panels, I had never experienced an outage over four or five hours in my entire life - in a rural area even. I've been around over 60 years so I have a little background to work on. The cold spell in 2021 caught everyone unaware because when one system went down, it had a domino effect. Gas had problems because they hadn't winterized. The helicopters did do a great job of de-icing the wind turbines though - it made a great picture.

The fact is that before wind and solar became so widely used adding fluctuation to the power supply, we didn't have those problems. PERIOD!

Ahhh,

What about 2011??

...or did you forget that?  If so, go here:

https://www.ferc.gov/sites/default/files/2020-04/08-16-11-report.pdf

"Going into the February 2011 storm, neither ERCOT nor the other electric
entities that initiated rolling blackouts during the event expected to have a problem meeting customer demand. They all had adequate reserve margins, based on anticipated generator availability. But those reserves proved insufficient for the extraordinary amount of capacity that was lost during the event from trips, derates, and failures to start".

"The experiences of 1989 are instructive, particularly on the electric side. In that year, as in 2011, cold weather caused many generators to trip, derate, or fail to start. The PUCT investigated the occurrence and issued a number of recommendations aimed at improving winterization on the part of the generators.These recommendations were not mandatory, and over the course of time implementation lapsed. Many of the generators that experienced outages in 1989 failed again in 2011".

...and please, show me that photo of helicopters, in Texas, de-icing wind turbines.

And I'm STILL paying for that February, 2021 nat gas fiasco, here in Wyoming!

Just where is that surcharge going???

You think recovery from electric outages are tough?  Nah, nat gas outages are MUCH WORSE to recover from...

You REALLY wanna know what ERCOT"s problem is?  It's TEXAS itself!  See below:

Energy-Only Markets versus Capacity Markets:
In an energy-only market, load serving entities purchase
energy on an hourly basis (even if secured or scheduled on a
day-ahead or forward basis), and are generally also required
to cover minimum ancillary services requirements, including
voltage support, regulation, and spinning or non-spinning
reserves. These load-serving entities are not obligated to
secure capacity to cover their projected peak loads going
forward, and generators can only recover their capital costs
through payments for hourly energy and ancillary services.
In markets with capacity-based payments, load serving
entities are responsible for procuring capacity (including
adequate reserves) to cover their peak loads. In the
Northeast, capacity prices are set through forward capacity
markets, and while generators receive the benefit of a more
predictable revenue stream, they must also accept certain
obligations to ensure that their unit is available and offered
into the energy market when needed, or face penalties for
failure to do so.

I assume you can comprehend what all of that language above means and implies.

I do.

Period.

Edited by turbguy

(edited)

Here is an interesting interview with one of former President Obama's climate researchers, who demonstrates how the basic climate science undertaken and presented to the IPCC has been actively misrepresented in the media and has fueled widespread panic among young Americans. Unconscionable. The IPCC issues reports which have been grossly misreported in the media, which makes for great news value but bad public knowledge.

I never believed that the scientists themselves believed the nonsense which is reported, but scientists are human beings and they worry that public funding for their work may depend on them taking politically acceptable positions. So there is very little protest from the scientists who remain silent while their work is grossly misunderstood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l90FpjPGLBE

Edited by Ecocharger

On 9/11/2023 at 8:51 AM, Rob Plant said:

And yet you dont mention solar! as I showed you it doesnt matter day or night solar will still drive a steam turbine!

Wind power I will agree that it depends on geography as to how successful this is. The UK where I live its an excellent source of free fuel energy, but its also one of the best places in the world to have a wind farm.

@Albub you rolling eyed me for this comment and yet you offer no argument against it, is that because there isnt one but it doesnt fit your agenda?

7 hours ago, Ecocharger said:

Reality is beginning to sink in the EU with many member states in opposition to the energy transition.

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/Cost-Of-Living-Crisis-Threatens-EU-Energy-Transition.html

"Poland filed a lawsuit against the EU about some of Brussels' climate policies, arguing that these would impose an unbearable burden on its citizens.

One of these policies was the planned ban on new internal combustion engine car sales from 2035, which the European Commission believes would be a major step towards moving to a low-carbon future.

"The contested regulation imposes excessive burdens connected with the transition towards zero-emission mobility on European citizens, especially those who are less well off, as well as on the European automotive companies sector," Poland said.

The Central European country also railed against national emission reduction targets, saying these would undermine its energy security. Poland is overwhelmingly dependent on coal for its power generation.

Germany, for all its efforts to reduce its dependence on hydrocarbons, also recently increased its dependence on coal: utility RWE recently began dismantling a wind farm in order to expand a lignite coal mine after the government shut down Germany's last three nuclear reactors.

France is also against some new climate policies pushed by Brussels, specifically rules concerning levels of exhaust pipe emissions, along with another seven member states. These include Poland again, Bulgaria, Hungary, Italy, Romania, the Czech Republic, and Slovakia."

You do realise that "Brussels" is the EU, no?

So yes you will always get a few countries disagreeing with all policies which they can vote against but its a majority rule so its tough sh*t. Its one of the main reasons for Brexit! There can be an "opt out" in ceratin situations where certain countries can negotiate that they dont fully conform to some policies. You will notice that most of the countries that are railing against exhaust pipe emissions and coal reductons for powergen are generally old eastern bloc countries.

23 hours ago, Rob Plant said:

You do realise that "Brussels" is the EU, no?

So yes you will always get a few countries disagreeing with all policies which they can vote against but its a majority rule so its tough sh*t. Its one of the main reasons for Brexit! There can be an "opt out" in ceratin situations where certain countries can negotiate that they dont fully conform to some policies. You will notice that most of the countries that are railing against exhaust pipe emissions and coal reductons for powergen are generally old eastern bloc countries.

There is a lot of pushback in Germany and France and Italy, which are not former Eastern Bloc countries. You will se opt-outs of the more absurd policy rules if we ever reach that point.

Poland is about as opposed to any Bloc as you could find. They understand the absurdity of the fossil fuel alarmism and will not sign on.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ecocharger said:

There is a lot of pushback in Germany and France and Italy, which are not former Eastern Bloc countries. You will se opt-outs of the more absurd policy rules if we ever reach that point.

Poland is about as opposed to any Bloc as you could find. They understand the absurdity of the fossil fuel alarmism and will not sign on.

Yes the point I made was all countries in the EU "opt out" of parts of pretty much every policy put in front of them that is passed by the EU.

Getting all 27 countries to agree fully on every aspect of every policy is never going to happen, so the point you were trying to make is ridiculous as this happens with EVERY policy.

2 minutes ago, Rob Plant said:

Yes the point I made was all countries in the EU "opt out" of parts of pretty much every policy put in front of them that is passed by the EU.

Getting all 27 countries to agree fully on every aspect of every policy is never going to happen, so the point you were trying to make is ridiculous as this happens with EVERY policy.

Get prepared for a mass pullout on the Green agenda.

• Haha 1

(edited)

10 minutes ago, Rob Plant said:

They can unsign at any time! Look for that. 

Here is an explanation of why many American scientists are being co-opted into the alarmist movement, and academic objectivity is being curtailed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVi01vJ4nxM

Edited by Ecocharger

(edited)

Oil demand is pushing up oil prices inevitably, look for Biden & Co. to issue further requests for American oil producers to increase output.

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/Oil-Prices-On-Track-For-A-Third-Consecutive-Week-Of-Gains.html

"Oil prices are on course for a third consecutive weekly gain, with WTI nearing $91 per barrel and Brent trading above the $94 per barrel mark.

News that Chinese refiners broke refining rate records in August only added to the bullish sentiment caused by Saudi Arabia’s production cuts.

As oil prices soar, the IEA has warned that peak oil demand is looming, a warning that was firmly rebuked by OPEC."

The usual nonsense about peak oil has been exposed.

"At the same time, the IEA forecasted peak oil demand before 2030, which prompted an immediate reaction from OPEC. Consistent data-based forecasts show that peak oil and other fossil fuel demand will not happen before 2030, as the International Energy Agency claimed earlier this week, OPEC said on Thursday, dismissing the claims of the “beginning of the end of fossil fuels.”

Indeed, warnings about peak oil demand have been numerous in recent years, all based on EV penetration rates that have so far failed to materialize. Instead, global oil demand has continued to rise, hitting a record this year, per the IEA itself. "

Edited by Ecocharger

30 minutes ago, Ecocharger said:

They can unsign at any time! Look for that. 

Here is an explanation of why many American scientists are being co-opted into the alarmist movement, and academic objectivity is being curtailed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVi01vJ4nxM

Sigh!

Yes they possible could, but the pressure from the other 26 would mean that is as likely as a cow jumping over the moon.

27 minutes ago, Ecocharger said:

News that Chinese refiners broke refining rate records in August only added to the bullish sentiment caused by Saudi Arabia’s production cuts.

You say "Oil demand is pushing up oil prices inevitably," then state "the bullish sentiment caused by Saudi Arabia’s production cuts."

So which is it? is demand really pushing up prices? or maybe just maybe the OPEC+ production cuts are finally starting to have an effect!

When OPEC+ turn the taps back on along with new oil hitting the markets next year from the likes of Guyana then expect that price to plummet.

@TailingsPond posted this on another topic and is spot on!

Fuel Prices Are Soaring: Who Is Feeling the Pinch? (msn.com)

Oil can't win. 

If OPEC removes the production cuts oil prices will fall so low the energy companies won't invest in new exploration.

If the artificial scarcity of oil continues fuel prices will rise enough to encourage further EV adoption.

(edited)

9 hours ago, Rob Plant said:

Sigh!

Yes they possible could, but the pressure from the other 26 would mean that is as likely as a cow jumping over the moon.

No, the Green nonsense is unraveling even while we type here.

The costs are insurmountable and the latest wind power auctions in America are a gigantic flop.

Cost overruns will destroy the Green movement.

https://oilprice.com/Latest-Energy-News/World-News/Biden-Administrations-Offshore-Wind-Plan-Plagued-By-Soaring-Costs.html

"Orsted warned at the end of August of up to $2.3 billion (16 billion Danish crowns) of impairments on its U.S. project portfolio due to supply chain delays, higher interest rates, and the possible inability to qualify for additional tax credits beyond 30%.

In a sign of the struggling offshore wind industry, the latest lease sale, the first-ever such sale in the Gulf of Mexico, was a flop last month, attracting just one bid, from Germany’s RWE. Out of three areas up for lease, two did not receive any bids."  

Edited by Ecocharger

9 hours ago, Rob Plant said:

@TailingsPond posted this on another topic and is spot on!

Fuel Prices Are Soaring: Who Is Feeling the Pinch? (msn.com)

Oil can't win. 

If OPEC removes the production cuts oil prices will fall so low the energy companies won't invest in new exploration.

If the artificial scarcity of oil continues fuel prices will rise enough to encourage further EV adoption.

Oil production is at an all-time high and will continue to increase.

Oil demand is pushing up oil prices inevitably, look for Biden & Co. to issue further requests for American oil producers to increase output.

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/Oil-Prices-On-Track-For-A-Third-Consecutive-Week-Of-Gains.html

"As oil prices soar, the IEA has warned that peak oil demand is looming, a warning that was firmly rebuked by OPEC."

The usual nonsense about peak oil has been exposed.

"At the same time, the IEA forecasted peak oil demand before 2030, which prompted an immediate reaction from OPEC. Consistent data-based forecasts show that peak oil and other fossil fuel demand will not happen before 2030, as the International Energy Agency claimed earlier this week, OPEC said on Thursday, dismissing the claims of the “beginning of the end of fossil fuels.”

Indeed, warnings about peak oil demand have been numerous in recent years, all based on EV penetration rates that have so far failed to materialize. Instead, global oil demand has continued to rise, hitting a record this year, per the IEA itself. "