JM

GREEN NEW DEAL = BLIZZARD OF LIES

(edited)

11 hours ago, Ecocharger said:

80%? You just pull that one out of your hat?

I would say that is a conservative number, speaking as someone that actually has one!

I dont use any FF in my vehicle unless I go on a long journey which is very rare. Why would you when it costs you about 6 times as much as electricity does in the UK?

Edited by Rob Plant
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Ecocharger said:

So, in other words, you just pulled that one out of your hat.

Get me something done by an expert that gives us a true idea of how much mileage is fossil fuel and how much electric.

Its a far more accurate number than stating hybrids are FF cars implying they always use gas when on short commuter journeys.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jay McKinsey said:

You did get data from an expert. It isn't too hard to do the numbers. I guess it is a challenge for you.

Modern popular PHEVs get 40+ miles on battery. That is 280 miles per week and 14,560 miles per year. The average distance driven is different for every driver. But on average, drivers travel 13,476 miles per year on U.S. roads, according to the U.S. Department of Transportation's Federal Highway Administration (FHWA).. So by simple math I have easily shown that a PHEV on battery is capable of covering more than all the miles driven in a year by the average US citizen. 14,560 + 20% is 17,400, very, very few non commercial drivers drive more than 17,400 miles a year. So 80% is a realistic conservative number.

And those are for the US where distances are vast compared to people who live in Europe and rarely have long commutes or long journeys of any description.

Globally the world is a very different place.

26 minutes ago, Jay McKinsey said:

I know you drive a PHEV but you were calling it a HEV.

sorry!

14 minutes ago, Jay McKinsey said:

Brexit has been a disaster, a large majority of UK citizens want to get an electric car and the conservatives are going to get destroyed at the next election. Labour could easily move it back to 2030 but of course they may not. It really doesn't matter much in the scheme of things. How does Sunak's rule change add more than five years choice? 

Brexit hasnt been the disaster many predicted actually. Our economy has stood up to this pretty well.

In fact last year the UK had the largest growth (4%) in GDP of the G7 countries.

Where we fell down was the draconian lockdowns during the Pandemic and during that period we were the worst performing out the G7.

https://fullfact.org/economy/uk-gdp-growth-g7-february-2023/

• Upvote 1

(edited)

23 minutes ago, Rob Plant said:

Brexit hasnt been the disaster many predicted actually. Our economy has stood up to this pretty well.

In fact last year the UK had the largest growth (4%) in GDP of the G7 countries.

Where we fell down was the draconian lockdowns during the Pandemic and during that period we were the worst performing out the G7.

https://fullfact.org/economy/uk-gdp-growth-g7-february-2023/

But you are still almost at the bottom of the G7 and the pandemic lockdowns are over. This is called Brexit, covid just hid it for a few years.

Britain’s economy to suffer second worst growth in G7 this year

New analysis reveals only Germany will perform worse than UK, despite improved growth projections

-----

Germany is just worse off because they lost their cheap gas, they idiotically shutdown their cheap nuclear and now cheap Chinese EV's are about to destroy their car industry. 

Edited by Jay McKinsey
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jay McKinsey said:

But you are still almost at the bottom of the G7 and the pandemic lockdowns are over. This is called Brexit, covid just hid it for a few years.

Britain’s economy to suffer second worst growth in G7 this year

New analysis reveals only Germany will perform worse than UK, despite improved growth projections

-----

Germany is just worse off because they lost their cheap gas, they idiotically shutdown their cheap nuclear and now cheap Chinese EV's are about to destroy their car industry. 

No we are ahead of Germany and Italy so are 5th.

You stated Brexit was a disaster, I'm saying no it wasnt, there were initial trading issues but largely they have been overcome, if they hadnt we'd be bottom by a mile.

The link I sent shows the last qtr GDP of the G7 not someones headline!

Yes Germany are in the brown stuff mainly thanks to Merkel, this isnt good for the EU as a whole and if they start to really struggle even further it will send shockwaves across the whole of the EU and totally destabilise it. Another reason that Brexit wasnt such a bad idea after all!

(edited)

46 minutes ago, Rob Plant said:

No we are ahead of Germany and Italy so are 5th.

You stated Brexit was a disaster, I'm saying no it wasnt, there were initial trading issues but largely they have been overcome, if they hadnt we'd be bottom by a mile.

The link I sent shows the last qtr GDP of the G7 not someones headline!

Yes Germany are in the brown stuff mainly thanks to Merkel, this isnt good for the EU as a whole and if they start to really struggle even further it will send shockwaves across the whole of the EU and totally destabilise it. Another reason that Brexit wasnt such a bad idea after all!

Well here are more current numbers from UK Gov. and you are just barely ahead of Germany and way behind the US, Japan and France. We know why Germany is screwed but you can't still be blaming covid for your current bad situation. I'm saying this is the result of Brexit, or do you have some other excuse?

Also note that the trading issues have not been overcome, they are far from finishing being implemented. The tough ones are about to arrive with the introduction of new customs arrangements in the Target Border Operating Model later this year and just wait until you guys start actually doing import border checks.

image.thumb.png.105c71c6114341863f6b9d8eb3f33201.png

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/sn02784/

UPTICK IN EXPORTS BUT TRADE WITH THE EU REMAINS WEAK 

Reacting to the latest Trade data from the ONS, William Bain, Head of Trade Policy, at the BCC, said:

“The recovery in UK goods exports to the rest of the world in April after a disappointing first quarter of 2023 is welcome, but needs to be sustained.

“However, trade with the EU remains weak, even before the additional cost pressures on imports due to the introduction of new customs arrangements in the Target Border Operating Model later this year.

The Government’s Export Strategy needs to maximise growth in services exports across a range of business activity this year, but so far in 2023, they have been broadly flat.”

Detailed Analysis

Trade data for April 2023 showed a welcome rise in exports but goods exports to the EU remained weak declining by 0.5%. Services trade was broadly static.

Goods imports values fell by 0.4% in April after removing inflationary effects. Goods exports values rose by 3.4%, this was due to an increase to the rest of the world as they fell to the EU. 

EU picture

The 0.5% decrease in April was due to falls in miscellaneous manufactured goods offset by rise in fuel exports to Germany and the Netherlands. Goods imports also declined by 3.6% (largely down to lower chemicals imports – medicines and pharmaceutical products from Belgium, and organic chemicals from the Republic of Ireland). 

https://www.britishchambers.org.uk/news/2023/06/uptick-in-exports-but-trade-with-the-eu-remains-weak

Edited by Jay McKinsey

(edited)

27 minutes ago, Jay McKinsey said:

Well here are more current numbers from UK Gov. and you are just barely ahead of Germany and way behind the US, Japan and France. We know why Germany is screwed but you can't still be blaming covid for your current bad situation. I'm saying this is the result of Brexit, or do you have some other excuse?

image.thumb.png.105c71c6114341863f6b9d8eb3f33201.png

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/sn02784/

UPTICK IN EXPORTS BUT TRADE WITH THE EU REMAINS WEAK 

Reacting to the latest Trade data from the ONS, William Bain, Head of Trade Policy, at the BCC, said:

“The recovery in UK goods exports to the rest of the world in April after a disappointing first quarter of 2023 is welcome, but needs to be sustained.

“However, trade with the EU remains weak, even before the additional cost pressures on imports due to the introduction of new customs arrangements in the Target Border Operating Model later this year.

The Government’s Export Strategy needs to maximise growth in services exports across a range of business activity this year, but so far in 2023, they have been broadly flat.”

Detailed Analysis

Trade data for April 2023 showed a welcome rise in exports but goods exports to the EU remained weak declining by 0.5%. Services trade was broadly static.

Goods imports values fell by 0.4% in April after removing inflationary effects. Goods exports values rose by 3.4%, this was due to an increase to the rest of the world as they fell to the EU. 

EU picture

The 0.5% decrease in April was due to falls in miscellaneous manufactured goods offset by rise in fuel exports to Germany and the Netherlands. Goods imports also declined by 3.6% (largely down to lower chemicals imports – medicines and pharmaceutical products from Belgium, and organic chemicals from the Republic of Ireland). 

https://www.britishchambers.org.uk/news/2023/06/uptick-in-exports-but-trade-with-the-eu-remains-weak

Jay I dont need "an excuse" as you claim because as per your own figures the UK is ahead of Germany and the Eurozone (which includes italy), only France in Europe is ahead of the UK as per the last qtr GDP which confirms EXACTLY what I said previously that the UK is 5th in the G7.

Again that is NOT a "disaster" as you claim!

Its no surprise that exports to the EU are down as there is additional paperwork and therefore costs from that reducing trade. However trade deals forged with countries outside of the EU are now starting to bear fruit.

I'm not blaming Covid for the here and now I was blaming Covid for the UK's crap GDP during the pandemic. Youre saying the current reason for the UK''s GDP is outperforming every major EU nation apart from France is down to Brexit and reckon thats why we are bad???? I think you have it the wrong way round mate. In fact you could argue that if we hadnt done Brexit and followed shite policies like Germany and Italy that we would be in a total mess now.

To call it a "disaster" based on 1 qtr when in Europe only France has had a better last qtr GDP than the UK and the UK had the largest growth in the G7 last year is laughable dont ya think? I think after a couple of rocky years whilst the UK and the EU adjusted to Brexit and how trade was to be done the bounce back last year is really rather commendable. Also its very nice to reclaim our soveriegnty back from Brussels!!!

Edited by Rob Plant

(edited)

2 hours ago, Rob Plant said:

Jay I dont need "an excuse" as you claim because as per your own figures the UK is ahead of Germany and the Eurozone (which includes italy), only France in Europe is ahead of the UK as per the last qtr GDP which confirms EXACTLY what I said previously that the UK is 5th in the G7.

Again that is NOT a "disaster" as you claim!

Its no surprise that exports to the EU are down as there is additional paperwork and therefore costs from that reducing trade. However trade deals forged with countries outside of the EU are now starting to bear fruit.

I'm not blaming Covid for the here and now I was blaming Covid for the UK's crap GDP during the pandemic. Youre saying the current reason for the UK''s GDP is outperforming every major EU nation apart from France is down to Brexit and reckon thats why we are bad???? I think you have it the wrong way round mate. In fact you could argue that if we hadnt done Brexit and followed shite policies like Germany and Italy that we would be in a total mess now.

To call it a "disaster" based on 1 qtr when in Europe only France has had a better last qtr GDP than the UK and the UK had the largest growth in the G7 last year is laughable dont ya think? I think after a couple of rocky years whilst the UK and the EU adjusted to Brexit and how trade was to be done the bounce back last year is really rather commendable. Also its very nice to reclaim our soveriegnty back from Brussels!!!

No, in YoY growth which is the best metric the UK is behind the Eurozone. If you were still part of the EU you would be leading it and not have lost all that US - EU trade GDP to Ireland. Staying in the EU would in no way meant you had to follow what Germany did. Germany's problems have nothing to do with the EU.

Eurozone has clobbered you for the past year:

image.png.93b5bc14208c3151b1afaa328cf25a64.pngimage.png.5ac799a95eeb206c5a8041425c852c33.png

Your trade deals with countries outside the EU are a bad joke. Everyone took you for everything they could because they knew the government was desperate to sign trade deals. 

Since it has left the EU, London has managed to roll over 71 deals that it had through its membership of the bloc. It has signed only four new trade agreements: with Australia, New Zealand, Japan and Singapore. George Eustice, the former environment secretary, said last month that the deal with Canberra “gave away far too much for far too little in return”, reflecting criticism that the agreement was particularly advantageous for Australia’s farming industry. According to the government’s own estimate the deal would increase UK GDP by just 0.08 per cent by 2035.

Meanwhile, attempts to strike ambitious new trade deals with the US and India have stalled. Negotiations with Washington began in May 2020 but are deadlocked over a number of issues, including the UK-EU dispute over the Northern Ireland Protocol, which governs post-Brexit trade arrangements in the region. The US fears Britain’s attempt to revisit the protocol could undermine the Good Friday peace agreement and some Democratic members of Congress have threatened to block any trade agreement with London unless it resolves the impasse with Brussels. Recommended News in-depthBrexit UK businesses struggle to trade with EU two years after Brexit deal Discussions with the Indian government formally began in January but the government failed to complete the negotiations by October as originally intended. Suella Braverman, the home secretary, has expressed “reservations” that the UK could concede too much on immigration from India. 

https://www.ft.com/content/d81f6e4c-7716-44c2-a745-2b7a74089ede

One such agreement was the UK-Japan Comprehensive Economic Partnership Agreement (CEPA). The deal was negotiated and signed in October 2020, before coming into effect on 31 December 2020, coinciding with the end of the transition period for UK withdrawal from the EU.

Initially, this deal was labelled by the government as a ‘historical deal’ that diverged from the agreement the EU has with Japan. However, the UK Trade Policy Observatory analysed trade data for the first twelve months after the deal was ratified and found that trade fell. In addition, it found there was little additional economic value to the UK and that the deal was nearly identical to the trade deal the UK had with Japan while part of the EU, with the exception of a chapter on digital trade.

https://ukandeu.ac.uk/trade-tracker-uk-trade-deals/

Edited by Jay McKinsey

1 hour ago, Jay McKinsey said:

No, in YoY growth which is the best metric the UK is behind the Eurozone. If you were still part of the EU you would be leading it and not have lost all that US - EU trade GDP to Ireland. Staying in the EU would in no way meant you had to follow what Germany did. Germany's problems have nothing to do with the EU.

image.png.93b5bc14208c3151b1afaa328cf25a64.pngimage.png.5ac799a95eeb206c5a8041425c852c33.png

Your trade deals with countries outside the EU are a bad joke. Everyone took you for everything they could because they knew the government was desperate to sign trade deals. 

Since it has left the EU, London has managed to roll over 71 deals that it had through its membership of the bloc. It has signed only four new trade agreements: with Australia, New Zealand, Japan and Singapore. George Eustice, the former environment secretary, said last month that the deal with Canberra “gave away far too much for far too little in return”, reflecting criticism that the agreement was particularly advantageous for Australia’s farming industry. According to the government’s own estimate the deal would increase UK GDP by just 0.08 per cent by 2035.

Meanwhile, attempts to strike ambitious new trade deals with the US and India have stalled. Negotiations with Washington began in May 2020 but are deadlocked over a number of issues, including the UK-EU dispute over the Northern Ireland Protocol, which governs post-Brexit trade arrangements in the region. The US fears Britain’s attempt to revisit the protocol could undermine the Good Friday peace agreement and some Democratic members of Congress have threatened to block any trade agreement with London unless it resolves the impasse with Brussels. Recommended News in-depthBrexit UK businesses struggle to trade with EU two years after Brexit deal Discussions with the Indian government formally began in January but the government failed to complete the negotiations by October as originally intended. Suella Braverman, the home secretary, has expressed “reservations” that the UK could concede too much on immigration from India. 

One such agreement was the UK-Japan Comprehensive Economic Partnership Agreement (CEPA). The deal was negotiated and signed in October 2020, before coming into effect on 31 December 2020, coinciding with the end of the transition period for UK withdrawal from the EU.

Initially, this deal was labelled by the government as a ‘historical deal’ that diverged from the agreement the EU has with Japan. However, the UK Trade Policy Observatory analysed trade data for the first twelve months after the deal was ratified and found that trade fell. In addition, it found there was little additional economic value to the UK and that the deal was nearly identical to the trade deal the UK had with Japan while part of the EU, with the exception of a chapter on digital trade.

Sigh!

Jay were doing fine thanks for asking!

(edited)

20 hours ago, Jay McKinsey said:

Those are the actual numbers. You just don't like them. There is no reason to pay extra for a PHEV in the US if you don't do your best to keep it charged. Deal with it. 

And again, PHEV is only 21% of the PEV market. 79% is BEV. 

Oh and starting in 2026 almost all PHEV will have 50 miles electric range as that is required for it to be counted as eligible as an EV under the California ICE ban which begins going into effect then.

No, those are not actual numbers for vehicles in use, just your own projections of an imaginary scenario.

What we need are data for vehicles actually owned and operated.

Edited by Ecocharger

11 hours ago, Rob Plant said:

I would say that is a conservative number, speaking as someone that actually has one!

I dont use any FF in my vehicle unless I go on a long journey which is very rare. Why would you when it costs you about 6 times as much as electricity does in the UK?

I am interested in what the number look like for normal usage, which includes trips to other cities and rural locations. I have not seen anything for those actual usage. One person's experience is merely anecdotal.

(edited)

Coal is zooming ahead with China demanding huge amounts of coal. The reliability of fossil fuels is a gigantic advantage over wind and solar.

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/Chinas-Coal-Imports-From-Russia-And-Australia-Soar.html

"Chinese coal imports jumped in August by 12.9% from July to a record in data going back to 2015. Imports also surged by 53% from August last year, according to China’s customs data.

With a significant decline in power output from China’s massive hydropower sector due to insufficient rainfall and drought, coal production, coal imports, and coal-fired electricity generation have jumped this year.

China is relying on coal to avoid blackouts as the economy reopened after the Covid lockdowns. During the first half of this year, coal production, coal imports, and coal-fired electricity generation surged and offset a significant decline in power output at China’s massive hydropower capacity due to insufficient rainfall and drought."

Edited by Ecocharger

7 minutes ago, Ecocharger said:

Coal is zooming ahead with China demanding huge amounts of coal. The reliability of fossil fuels is a gigantic advantage over wind and solar.

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/Chinas-Coal-Imports-From-Russia-And-Australia-Soar.html

"Chinese coal imports jumped in August by 12.9% from July to a record in data going back to 2015. Imports also surged by 53% from August last year, according to China’s customs data.

With a significant decline in power output from China’s massive hydropower sector due to insufficient rainfall and drought, coal production, coal imports, and coal-fired electricity generation have jumped this year.

China is relying on coal to avoid blackouts as the economy reopened after the Covid lockdowns. During the first half of this year, coal production, coal imports, and coal-fired electricity generation surged and offset a significant decline in power output at China’s massive hydropower capacity due to insufficient rainfall and drought."

you missed the reason for the surge in imports in July........

funny how you omitted the following fact......

China's coal output slipped 6.3% in July on the month

and last year there was a ban in imports from Australia.....

zooming ahead??? ha ha ha all they are doing is trying to make up for the shortfall in their own production

solar panel install in china right now is almost double from last year.........

and will double again in less than 2 years......

You keep praying for your dead cat bounce in global coal consumption......

as solar panels in China will take over

• Rolling Eye 1

(edited)

12 minutes ago, Ecocharger said:

Once again the CCP is mucking things up. They have taken this Climate Change debacle to a whole new level.

Playing God: How China controls the weather

China has taken weather manipulation to new heights, surpassing other nations in its ambitious pursuit.

https://interestingengineering.com/ie-originals/ie-explainer/season-3/ep-6-playing-god-how-china-controls-the-weather

Edited by Eyes Wide Open

(edited)

11 hours ago, Ecocharger said:

I am interested in what the number look like for normal usage, which includes trips to other cities and rural locations. I have not seen anything for those actual usage. One person's experience is merely anecdotal.

The UK is a small place  Eco

I can easily journey to the countryside or a couple of cities in my hybrid on electric only, but yes its anectdotal, I believe I said that to begin with.

Most people apart from those that live in the Highlands of Scotland can do the same in a hybrid in any location.

Again you need to think globally not just USA/Canada as they arent very representative generally of the average person. In Europe you can generally get to the countryside or a city/major town on a hybrid's electric charge and in every country that would represent a significant saving on using the gas engine. So again why would you choose to use your gas engine and not the electric motor? if you want to burn someone off at the traffic lights then use both and stick it in launch mode for a bit of fun, but whatever rocks your boat.

For Ev's to make a real dent in the American car market I think battery tech needs to improve significantly IMHO to alleviate range anxiety.

Edited by Rob Plant

22 hours ago, Jay McKinsey said:

Lies , Damned lies, and statistics!

• Upvote 1

(edited)

13 hours ago, Rob Plant said:

Lies , Damned lies, and statistics!

That's the thing to do, run away and hide from the real information that tells the truth you don't want to hear, just like ECO and Eyes Shut. 

Here is a good one for you. UK car exports to the EU have fallen by over 50% since Brexit. Are you going to also call this a lie?

image.png.0f5d3862b4900325185f6d2ebd841838.png

UK auto production since Brexit has fallen by over 50%, is this also a lie?

image.png.e209f9ca3b9cad49fcd17768783ca961.png

Edited by Jay McKinsey
  • Haha 1

(edited)

Gates is trying to back out of the Big Lie, Civilzation will be ok. Extraordinary, the EU has torn apart and now he's having a moment of reflection.

Bill Gates Says ‘Brute Force’ Climate Policies Won’t Work

Speaking at a live 

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/09/21/climate/bill-gates-climate-policy.html

Edited by Eyes Wide Open
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Jay McKinsey said:

That's the thing to do, run away and hide from the real information that tells the truth you don't want to hear, just like ECO and Eyes Shut. 

Here is a good one for you. UK car exports to the EU have fallen by over 50% since Brexit. Are you going to also call this a lie?

image.png.0f5d3862b4900325185f6d2ebd841838.png

UK auto production since Brexit has fallen by over 50%, is this also a lie?

image.png.e209f9ca3b9cad49fcd17768783ca961.png

But Jay, UK sales of private EVs has fallen 27% this past year, that is a gigantic setback for EV uptake. U.S. EV sales have stalled massively in the U.S., this is a world wide setback for EVs so we had better get used to it.

(edited)

The whole "transition" to Green has massively run off the rails and will never get back on them the timetables and deadlines are just lines in the sand which the winds of time will blow away.

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/Goldman-Sachs-Predicts-100-Oil-As-Renewable-Transition-Falters.html

"Energy transition efforts, including decreased investment in hydrocarbon production, have contributed to rising oil prices and increased reliance on fossil fuels in backup scenarios.

Offshore wind projects are being canceled, EV sales in the U.S. are slowing down, and the solar industry faces competition from cheap Chinese panels, highlighting challenges in the renewable sector.

Despite clear setbacks, governments remain committed to their energy transition goals, potentially leading to even higher energy costs in both Europe and the U.S."

Edited by Ecocharger

(edited)

38 minutes ago, Ecocharger said:

"Energy transition efforts, including decreased investment in hydrocarbon production, have contributed to rising oil prices and increased reliance on fossil fuels in backup scenarios.

Despite clear setbacks, governments remain committed to their energy transition goals, potentially leading to even higher energy costs in both Europe and the U.S."

Do you read your posts?

Enjoy your temporary oil bump. 

Remember, high oil prices will push people towards EV's, not away. 

Edited by TailingsPond

(edited)

Looks like the 4th quarter for Green Energy is going to crumble at its foundation's.

Greenwashing Backlash Sparks ESG Exodus

• Prominent fund managers, like BlackRock and State Street, are closing an increasing number of ESG funds as backlash grows.
  • Criticism includes the belief that radical ESG funds impose unpopular 'green' corporate initiatives and concerns about 'greenwashing' within the industry.
  • BlackRock faced notable withdrawals from Republican governors, resulting in them dropping the term "ESG" from their communications.

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/Greenwashing-Backlash-Sparks-ESG-Exodus.html

Edited by Eyes Wide Open
  • Upvote 1
  • Rolling Eye 1

(edited)

8 hours ago, Eyes Wide Open said:
  • BlackRock faced notable withdrawals from Republican governors, resulting in them dropping the term "ESG" from their communications.

Backlash from fossil humans / republican governors that will die soon enough.

"Dropping the term "ESG' from their communications"... the funds probably remain largely the same, they will just temporarily remove the somehow offensive green label.   When the backlash ends they will already have unlabelled green funds in place.

Edited by TailingsPond