cv

Electric vehicle market growth is a blessing for some metals — and not a big worry for oil

(edited)

7 minutes ago, RichieRich216 said:

And many other products used everyday in every sector of our life’s!

Like disposable diapers ??? how many do you go through a day? Visit a landfill and you will be disgusted by the amount plastics and oil based products being dumped daily. Nothing sanitary in a landfill. The oil industry really needs to get behind recycling and renewables and not just pump more , burn more, dump more attitude.

Edited by notsonice

3 hours ago, notsonice said:

Like disposable diapers ??? how many do you go through a day? Visit a landfill and you will be disgusted by the amount plastics and oil based products being dumped daily. Nothing sanitary in a landfill. The oil industry really needs to get behind recycling and renewables and not just pump more , burn more, dump more attitude.

Another Greenie shows his apolitical ASS!

(edited)

3 hours ago, notsonice said:

Visit a landfill and you will be disgusted by the amount plastics and oil based products being dumped daily.

Landfills will be the "mines" of the future.

Lots of valuable stuff in old landfills, and cleaning up the land is a bonus (or will be the main driver).

Modern high-end landfills do a lot of sorting, recycling, composting etc.

Edited by -trance

On 5/11/2021 at 2:02 AM, Jay McKinsey said:

They are having a sudden rush of cash that looks really good after it looking so bad but they are still in the red. They are using that cash along with selling off huge amounts of assets to buyback shares which drives the stock price up (good for investors) and increasing dividends in the further attempt to keep their investors from fleeing.

If you are spending your money enticing shareholders instead of expanding oil operations then financing is drying up. If investment is free flowing then you are out growing the company, they aren't.

The majors are taking different paths but check out this on BP https://www.wsj.com/articles/bp-to-buy-back-shares-as-oil-price-recovery-boosts-profit-11619516485

Massive impairment charges saw Big Oil's proven reserves drop by 13 billion boe, good for ~15% of its stock levels in the ground, last year. Rystad now says that the remaining reserves are set to run out in less than 15 years, unless Big Oil makes more commercial discoveries quickly.

The main culprit: Rapidly shrinking exploration investments.

Meanwhile, the world's biggest asset manager BlackRock, has been doubling down on oil and gas divestitures.

Back in 2019, BlackRock declared its intention to increase its ESG (Environmental, Social and Governance) investments more than tenfold from $90 billion to a trillion dollars in the space of a decade.

But now the firm is pushing out the goalposts on climate action and wants companies that he invests in to disclose how they plan to achieve a net-zero economy, which he has defined as eliminating net greenhouse gas emissions by 2050. BlackRock plans to put oil and gas companies under the clamps by creating a "temperature alignment metric" for both its public equity and bond funds with explicit temperature alignment goals, including products aligned to a net-zero pathway.

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/Big-Oil-Is-In-Desperate-Need-Of-New-Discoveries.html

Jay, they still sell reams and scads of oil, helped along by loyal ICE drivers all over America and Europe....folks just like you.

You still driving that old ICE you treasure? I guess you are. You are contributing to the huge growth of oil demand. Thank you for your votes by dollars.

On 5/11/2021 at 7:08 PM, Jay McKinsey said:

Just making a point.

That's right, Jay, and you do not mind if I occasionally make a critical comment on green energy ideology.

4 hours ago, notsonice said:

How do the EV folks dispose of batteries? Talk about pollution...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ecocharger said:

That's right, Jay, and you do not mind if I occasionally make a critical comment on green energy ideology.

Not at all, I just point out how you are wrong.

6 minutes ago, Jay McKinsey said:

Not at all, I just point out how you are wrong.

You mean you offer some stuff in reply. With some notable exceptions.

(edited)

10 minutes ago, Ecocharger said:

Previously there have been very few EV batteries to worry about. Going forward they are getting recycled.

Nissan, for example, is now reusing old batteries from its Leaf cars in the automated guided vehicles that deliver parts to workers in its factories.

Volkswagen is doing the same, but has also recently opened its first recycling plant, in Salzgitter, Germany, and plans to recycle up to 3,600 battery systems per year during the pilot phase.

"As a result of the recycling process, many different materials are recovered. As a first step we focus on cathode metals like cobalt, nickel, lithium and manganese," says Thomas Tiedje, head of planning for recycling at Volkswagen Group Components.

"Dismantled parts of the battery systems such as aluminium and copper are given into established recycling streams."

Renault, meanwhile, is now recycling all its electric car batteries - although as things stand, that only amounts to a couple of hundred a year. It does this through a consortium with French waste management company Veolia and Belgian chemical firm Solvay.

"We are aiming at being able to address 25% of the recycling market. We want to maintain this level of coverage, and of course this would cover by far the needs of Renault," says Jean-Philippe Hermine, Renault's VP for strategic environmental planning.

"It's a very open project - it's not to recycle only Renault batteries but all batteries, and also including production waste from the battery manufacturing plants."

Edited by Jay McKinsey

On 5/11/2021 at 2:30 PM, RichieRich216 said:

With less than 3% of Americans owning EV’s and most are liberal Assclown’s there only hope to get America to change is through Government intervention and make the U.S. taxpayers fund this bull shit! 

That's exactly what the UK government has done!

With Xiden now in power you guys are next, how else is he supposed to pay for his green new deal?

• Great Response! 2

(edited)

13 hours ago, Ecocharger said:

Recycle them, What do you do with them toss them in the garbage ? now back again to the pollution that streams out of the oil business or are you still in denial?

Edited by notsonice
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Rob Plant said:

That's exactly what the UK government has done!

With Xiden now in power you guys are next, how else is he supposed to pay for his green new deal?

Turn the IRS loose and get 300 billion. Put a min 30% tax before any write off and pick up another 300 billion. Cut the military 400 billion. There is a trillion per year for you. Left out a carbon tax. Let’s say 500 billion. No wall, no Ice, 20 billion. (Just jail the employer plan). Cut corporate tax loopholes, 100 billion. Require 50% American parts for any product sold. 500 billion in revenue. There’s a couple trillion for Biden. You want more? Lol

Yeah all those cuts and tax increases are real popular vote winners😅😅😅

Anyone can make up numbers Boat, lets try living in the real world for a bit eh!

• Upvote 1

(edited)

14 hours ago, Boat said:

Turn the IRS loose and get 300 billion. Put a min 30% tax before any write off and pick up another 300 billion. Cut the military 400 billion. There is a trillion per year for you. Left out a carbon tax. Let’s say 500 billion. No wall, no Ice, 20 billion. (Just jail the employer plan). Cut corporate tax loopholes, 100 billion. Require 50% American parts for any product sold. 500 billion in revenue. There’s a couple trillion for Biden. You want more? Lol

I tend to discredit people who say "cut the military". It's the first thing teenage girls typically say when you ask them about balancing the budget. It's really not a good solution. 

Also fantastic that you still think this amount of investment in negative yield is great. Right on! 2 Trillion sunk just like that. 

Edited by KeyboardWarrior

4 hours ago, KeyboardWarrior said:

I tend to discredit people who say "cut the military". It's the first thing teenage girls typically say when you ask them about balancing the budget. It's really not a good solution. 

Also fantastic that you still think this amount of investment in negative yield is great. Right on! 2 Trillion sunk just like that. 

In today’s military things like foreign bases, foreign troop deployment, aircraft carriers, tanks, etc are all just lost fodder defending against hypersonic missiles. Why risk military lives against weapons that can’t be stopped? Can you explain why that reasoning is not sound? Stealth aircraft, submarines, drones etc seem to be the future of conflict. This is an attempt at patriotic reasoning at work here. If what your buying won’t work in a conflict, why blow hundreds of billions on it? Google hypersonic missiles and tell me what US technology stops it. 

4 hours ago, Boat said:

In today’s military things like foreign bases, foreign troop deployment, aircraft carriers, tanks, etc are all just lost fodder defending against hypersonic missiles. Why risk military lives against weapons that can’t be stopped? Can you explain why that reasoning is not sound? Stealth aircraft, submarines, drones etc seem to be the future of conflict. This is an attempt at patriotic reasoning at work here. If what your buying won’t work in a conflict, why blow hundreds of billions on it? Google hypersonic missiles and tell me what US technology stops it. 

You realize that missiles can be stopped by placing a solid object in front of them mid air? Build a hypersonic anti-hypersonic. That's exactly what we've done with ICBMs. Okay, so we're out of rockets. Now what? How about we launch a few hundred harpoon missiles to destroy the Chinese fleet? 

@Boat

My information comes from somebody who worked on both ICBMs and anti-ICBMS. My Calc II professor, actually. 

I tend to think all of my professors are full of shit, but he seems legitimate. 

18 hours ago, KeyboardWarrior said:

@Boat

My information comes from somebody who worked on both ICBMs and anti-ICBMS. My Calc II professor, actually. 

I tend to think all of my professors are full of shit, but he seems legitimate. 

I believe there is extreme risk to have over 5,000 young men and women on a 12 billion dollar boat trying to stop a missile that can go 1,000 miles in 12 min. That’s like begging for failure.

By 2030-2040 they project hypersonic drones. Attacking with hundreds at a time no area will be safe. That is the future. Convential warfare with convential weapon systems is like investing in horses. Yes we have some but it’s mainly cars, trucks, planes we have moved to. 

(edited)

We already have weapons that you cannot stand far enough away from without suffering consequences.

And now these can be delivered in a manner that is extremely difficult to stop.

Why?

Money??

(don't knock horses, the ultimate autonomous vehicles).

Edited by turbguy
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Boat said:

I believe there is extreme risk to have over 5,000 young men and women on a 12 billion dollar boat trying to stop a missile that can go 1,000 miles in 12 min. That’s like begging for failure.

Who said we need a boat with 5000 people to do this? Depending on what the enemy hypersonic is intended for, a land battle station could very well do the trick. The only instance of the so called 12 billion dollar boat would be naval combat, and we have much smaller vessels that carry countermeasures. 

20 hours ago, Boat said:

By 2030-2040 they project hypersonic drones. Attacking with hundreds at a time no area will be safe. That is the future. Convential warfare with convential weapon systems is like investing in horses. Yes we have some but it’s mainly cars, trucks, planes we have moved to. 

I'm always suspicious of claims that warfare will advance in such and such.

For instance, we don't use supersonic anti-ship missiles. Know why? They're shot down because we can see them from so far away. The U.S. Navy sticks to missiles that fly just above the water, so that the enemy can only react when the projectile comes over the horizon.

All of your European armchair generals love to talk shit about the U.S. Navy's lack of supersonic missiles, but they're missing the tactical details entirely. 

(edited)

7 hours ago, KeyboardWarrior said:

For instance, we don't use supersonic anti-ship missiles. Know why? They're shot down because we can see them from so far away. The U.S. Navy sticks to missiles that fly just above the water, so that the enemy can only react when the projectile comes over the horizon.

All of your European armchair generals love to talk shit about the U.S. Navy's lack of supersonic missiles, but they're missing the tactical details entirely. 

When WWIII breaks out, there will be no need to worry about global warming supposedly hurting us a hundred years from now. A total waste of investments in "Green"(make that  "Brown") technology.

Edited by Ecocharger

On 5/15/2021 at 7:19 PM, turbguy said:

We already have weapons that you cannot stand far enough away from without suffering consequences.

And now these can be delivered in a manner that is extremely difficult to stop.

Why?

Money??

(don't knock horses, the ultimate autonomous vehicles).

Who is knocking horses. I hope going hypersonic means we can disengage our military around the word and cut that military bill 300-400 billion per year. So our allies are under our nuclear umbrella. They are also under our military umbrella. I assume those 800 bases around the world dramatically cut response time in case of conflict. Hypersonic takes care of response time. No need to put our troops at risk on foreign lands that can do little against modern tech weapon systems. 

On 5/16/2021 at 2:55 PM, KeyboardWarrior said:

To kill the US only takes a few data bases, a few satellites, a few chip factories etc. The same with any modern country. To make huge headlines an aircraft carrier will not be able to defend itself. This is not 1944. Most of the billions spent on nukes is a waste as well. Heck a nuke war between India and Pakistan could easily kill the world. Most of the hundreds of billions spent on old convention weapon systems is just a waste. My point is we can kill any country or the world much cheaper than we’re spending. Our promised deterrent can be done much cheaper.