ronwagn

Europeans and Americans are beginning to see the results of depending on renewables.

(edited)

3 hours ago, Ecocharger said:

China will tell us one thing and do another, they are currently ramping up coal production and oil drilling in a big way. Do you always buy the public pronouncements of governments?

Then why are you blaming their coal shortage on green policies? You can't have it both ways.

Edited by Jay McKinsey

30 minutes ago, Jay McKinsey said:

Then why are you blaming their coal shortage on green policies? You can't have it both ways.

Their shortage is due to not being energy independent. They have coal, oil and hydro. Their nuclear power is only 4.9% of their total. Their coal is largely imported as is their oil. They have boycotted Australian coal (informally) and are suffering the consequences. China has antagonized the entire world due to its COVID spreading and associated lies. 

Japan, South Korea, India, and Australia now form the QUAD which are actively opposing the threat of China. The rest of the world has good reason to reduce dealings with China which support them. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_power_in_China

America is helping China with its urgent coal needs and gaining market share. I have not heard (unsurprisingly) any complaints from the green extremists. 

https://www.scmp.com/economy/china-economy/article/3139209/china-australia-relations-us-coal-continues-fill-void-left#:~:text=Australia's%20coal%20exports%20to%20China,import%20restrictions%20on%20Australian%20coal

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ronwagn said:

Their shortage is due to not being energy independent. They have coal, oil and hydro. Their nuclear power is only 4.9% of their total. Their coal is largely imported as is their oil. They have boycotted Australian coal (informally) and are suffering the consequences. China has antagonized the entire world due to its COVID spreading and associated lies. 

Japan, South Korea, India, and Australia now form the QUAD which are actively opposing the threat of China. The rest of the world has good reason to reduce dealings with China which support them. 

America is helping China with its urgent coal needs and gaining market share. I have not heard (unsurprisingly) any complaints from the green extremists. 

https://www.scmp.com/economy/china-economy/article/3139209/china-australia-relations-us-coal-continues-fill-void-left#:~:text=Australia's%20coal%20exports%20to%20China,import%20restrictions%20on%20Australian%20coal

I must question the economy of shipping coal such a significant distance.

Coal fired plants, at least the ones not "mine-mouth",  in the US absorb a "not trivial" cost of coal transport.

Is sea-shipping THAT cheap??

• Upvote 1

(edited)

23 hours ago, ronwagn said:

Please explain how UK infrastructure is a mess, if you don't mind, or maybe a reference.

Have you ever heard Redundancy. There is one small Gas Pipeline from Holland to UK with 16 Bio. m3  a year. No secondary line from France. No large volumes Contract with Gazprom of course not.

Total Gas consumption UK around 80 Bio m3 means more as Germany.

End of October large Climate conference in Glasgow. Most Delegates probably take two Kanister (Jerrycanes) Gasoline from Home for their Taxi ride.

A Power cable from Europe to Kent no secondary Transformer and that main Transformer is now out for weeks.

Ever used British Rail London Glasgow most Trains are late there 1-2 hours. Russias Rail Company does not even for a two times longer ride Moscow - Jekaterinenburg so many additional hours.

To compare British Rail with Switzerlands Rail Company or Japanese Shinkansen would make UK a third World Country.

Central Heating? Never heard, they heat a few Rooms over there not to compare with Europe.

Edited by Starschy
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

(edited)

I know that I they didn't want to bother developing their own natural gas. They have plenty. 

It reminds me of my visit to London in, about 1964 when I was stationed in the army in Germany. I was staying in a cheap hotel near Kings Cross. If I wanted a hot shower I had to put a shilling in a pay box. I heated my room by filling up the sink with hot water! 🤣

Edited by ronwagn
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, turbguy said:

Coal fired plants, at least the ones not "mine-mouth",  in the US absorb a "not trivial" cost of coal transport.

I really don't know the shipping costs but China buys a lot of coal from us. A lot of Wyoming coal is also shipped around the U.S. by rail. 

6 hours ago, ronwagn said:

The US under Trump did little to support Australia in their economic battle with China. Like I have said, China is dependent on the nations that buy their goods. If we stand as one China will be forced to change their behavior or go back to the Stone Age. Kill the individual greed and force behavior change. Instead of war machines simply reject cargo ships and tie them to bad behavior.

• Great Response! 1

4 hours ago, turbguy said:

That’s the power of an authoritative government gone bad. Like a N Korea they will sacrifice their population or economy to push the fear of their power. They can be neutered by trade but so far the West, Japan, S Korea, Vietnam India etc have not used trade as an enforcement tool. Tomorrow Biden could cut China out of the banking system which to me is a better deterrent to Navy armadas. A lot of disruption but it would bring attention.

1 hour ago, Boat said:

The US under Trump did little to support Australia in their economic battle with China. Like I have said, China is dependent on the nations that buy their goods. If we stand as one China will be forced to change their behavior or go back to the Stone Age. Kill the individual greed and force behavior change. Instead of war machines simply reject cargo ships and tie them to bad behavior.

I think timing is a big factor. Rapidly clamping down on China might lead to a hot war over Taiwan and simultaneous trouble with North Korea although I can't imagine them ever attacking South Korea. I certainly don't know all the possibilities but my guess is that we should not see people freezing to death or starving in China. We need to work on criticizing all of their domestic and foreign wrong doings with the rest of the world. We also need to minimize their subversions around the world. I have nothing against the Chinese people, only against the Chinese Communist Party. Even the CCP has a group that thinks Xi has made mistakes by being overly aggressive. 

My mind goes back to how we embargoed Japan from oil supplies and how that led to Pearl Harbor. Again, I am not fully informed on that situation, but that is my take on it. Other opinions are welcome. 

(edited)

4 hours ago, ronwagn said:

I really don't know the shipping costs but China buys a lot of coal from us. A lot of Wyoming coal is also shipped around the U.S. by rail. 

Yup, lots of Wyoming dirt is sent via rail, then transferred to barges on the Great Lakes, then transferred back to rail for some plants.  All to lower shipping costs.  Crazy.

Some plants eliminated demurrage on cars by going to bottom dumping with a slowly moving unit train.

Transport via rail ain't that cheap, and can add a significant fraction to the total cost of coal fuel.

Burning fuel to move fuel.  Same with all fuels, I suppose.  Gotta reflect on that...

I see that thermal and metallurgical coal from the US to China has jumped, BIG TIME this year. 

$212.92 per tonne , WOW! 

One Tonne is about 28 MBTU. (varies, depends on the coal)

I used to figure $2 per MBTU's for economic justifications.   That is about $56 per tonne.

I suspect some of China's population will start cutting down trees to heat with wood.

https://www.spglobal.com/marketintelligence/en/news-insights/latest-news-headlines/us-coal-shipments-to-china-surge-more-than-30-fold-amid-australian-trade-dispute-66154595

Edited by turbguy

1 hour ago, ronwagn said:

I think timing is a big factor. Rapidly clamping down on China might lead to a hot war over Taiwan and simultaneous trouble with North Korea although I can't imagine them ever attacking South Korea. I certainly don't know all the possibilities but my guess is that we should not see people freezing to death or starving in China. We need to work on criticizing all of their domestic and foreign wrong doings with the rest of the world. We also need to minimize their subversions around the world. I have nothing against the Chinese people, only against the Chinese Communist Party. Even the CCP has a group that thinks Xi has made mistakes by being overly aggressive. 

My mind goes back to how we embargoed Japan from oil supplies and how that led to Pearl Harbor. Again, I am not fully informed on that situation, but that is my take on it. Other opinions are welcome. 

Gee Ron I thought you would remember Admiral Perry sailing into Tokyo harbor and demanding that Japan open its doors to trade or else he would start shooting.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2021 at 8:46 PM, Wombat1 said:

I see you still suffer from "foot in mouth" disease? No point in trying to correct you, as you even admit that you don't read anything, and even if you did, you could never comprehend any of it anyway. So, this link is not for you, it is for others that can comprehend it and see what a load of toenail fungus comes from your mouth:

Methane levels are increasing – and scientists aren’t sure why | World Economic Forum (weforum.org)

Ah, you can't read on your new account any better than you can read on your old.  There was a reason I had you blocked

Apparently the idiots at world Economic Forum haven't read any of the predictions of climate scientists Nor understand basis for methane sourcing or sinks.

• Upvote 1

(edited)

Not a troll- posted too early.  sorry. 

Edited by Tool Hombre

On 9/28/2021 at 5:02 PM, Jay McKinsey said:

The 80% bonus depreciation allowance applies to just about everything, it has nothing specific to do with wind. You might also want to note that unless you started your wind project in 2019 there is no PTC for you.

Is there an IVT? Yes, and that’s still a huge factor. Keep it around please. 

3 hours ago, KeyboardWarrior said:

Is there an IVT? Yes, and that’s still a huge factor. Keep it around please. 

Do you mean the ITC? It is being phased out/down as well unless the law gets changed. 

solar investment tax credit phasedown schedule

18 hours ago, ronwagn said:

I know that I they didn't want to bother developing their own natural gas. They have plenty. 

It reminds me of my visit to London in, about 1964 when I was stationed in the army in Germany. I was staying in a cheap hotel near Kings Cross. If I wanted a hot shower I had to put a shilling in a pay box. I heated my room by filling up the sink with hot water! 🤣

I probably was in the same kind of Hotel 25 years later. No more shilling. The shower was outside the Rooms between two floors

• Like 1

(edited)

On 9/30/2021 at 1:23 PM, ronwagn said:

Their coal is largely imported as is their oil.???? are we talking about China???? You obviously have no idea what you are talking about. Domestic Coal production in China last year was 3.84 Billion tons and they imported 300 millions tons (less than 8 percent of their needs).

Edited by notsonice
  • Upvote 2

(edited)

2 hours ago, notsonice said:

Their coal is largely imported as is their oil.???? are we talking about China???? You obviously have no idea what you are talking about. Domestic Coal production in China last year was 3.84 Billion tons and they imported 300 millions tons (less than 8 percent of their needs).

Well boycotting Australia has set them back on their heels. Imagine if America boycotted China too. 

https://www.worldometers.info/coal/china-coal/

They have the coal so I wonder what is keeping them from producing enough for their own needs. They are developing new suppliers per recent reports. 

Edited by ronwagn
reference
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Jay McKinsey said:

Gee Ron I thought you would remember Admiral Perry sailing into Tokyo harbor and demanding that Japan open its doors to trade or else he would start shooting.

That is news to me. I will have to look it up. Thanks

On 9/14/2021 at 11:13 PM, ronwagn said:

https://oilprice.com/Latest-Energy-News/World-News/Protests-Break-Out-in-Europe-As-Electricity-Prices-Soar.html Europe is having problems with energy supply due to depending on Russian natural gas, and coal of their own to meet much of their need. Russia is going to ask a hefty price to come up with the money to pay for their new pipeline Nordstream 2. 

Many people are wondering how to cope with inflation and energy prices in America. Taxes are also going up in America and the corporate taxes always filter down to the average consumer. The left has many ideas on spending money, that we cannot afford, on building charging stations for EV's that will be built in the future, and will be sold with $7,500 rebates for those who might want them. EV's will require more electricity from whatever source and more power lines to deliver it. It will be the Greatest Show on Earth and have a HUGE price tag. 

Hey, if they really are dependent on Russian gas and coal, they shouldn't make it more difficult to supply them. Because all they have been doing for the last couple of years is kicking Gazprom/Northstream.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2021 at 12:36 AM, Sebastian Meana said:

Well, it depends, dams need a lot of concrete, the bratsk dam needed over 13 million tons of concrete, and they operate at 50% capacity factor because when it rains the most, Autumn and Spring is when electricity demand is the lowest, and viceversa. And the fuel to just run the whole contruction equipment for 5 or 10 years during construction.

There's also methane production in water bodies but that may or may not be resolved, in the oxygen poor sediment rich areas of a lake or a dam Archea produces methane as dead organic matter falls in  the sediments and decomposes.

the IPCC says that is 24G/KWh without the methane, but that it varies project to project wildly, depending if a dam will be used for 50 or 100 or 200 years.

Not much dead organic matter in Bratsk though :)

On 10/1/2021 at 1:10 AM, Jay McKinsey said:

Could we find someone to send on a similar mission to Beijing? Care to volunteer, Jay?

(edited)

48 minutes ago, Ecocharger said:

Could we find someone to send on a similar mission to Beijing? Care to volunteer, Jay?

The British already did. I'll leave it to them to haul their opium to China.

Edited by Jay McKinsey

47 minutes ago, Jay McKinsey said:

The British already did. I'll leave it to them to haul their opium to China.

I mean right now, selling the American view to Beijing. Care to volunteer your services?

On 9/29/2021 at 8:50 PM, Ecocharger said:

The transition period started some decades ago, is running flat out now, and will continue to run decade by decade by decade for the foreseeable future. In other words, do not hold your breath on getting there.

The UK's problem was they delayed building the undersea tie to Norway for 40 years. Who managed that project ,you?