Ron Wagner

How Far Have We Really Gotten With Alternative Energy

(edited)

3 hours ago, specinho said:

Quote:" ......... those that claim burning coal and using oil it is not harmful are brain dead." 

This world works on trial and error. Incessant improvision by humble pioneers make things better for all. 

1. Evolution of oil

- Oil started by burning crude. Heavy soot, heavy pollution.

- pioneers found out crude could be refined. Distillation at different temperature produced different products. Many other things extended from here. 

- petrol with lead and sulphur was introduced => petrol without lead and minimal sulphur was introduced

- long chain hydrocarbon produced much soot, often due to incomplete combustion => short chain HC were introduced e.g. propane, octane. Cleaner fuel with complete combustion, protect engine and save money

2. Evolution of coal

- Wood was burnt for fire. 

- air pollution was very bad e.g. smog, acid rain => wood was cured to form chunks of coal. Air quality and efficiency of burning improved. 

- coal mining, powder form was introduced. Too dense, little air during combustion. Much material wasted with incomplete combustion. Heat efficiency was low => modification to increase efficiency. Some coal plants have efficiency of ~87%.

Small mind gossip; great mind improvise....... Where are you looking, at gossip or improvision, determine your stand towards oil and coal... 

Some coal plants have efficiency of ~87%.?????????????????

the conversion of the BTUs in  coal to electrical energy....87 percent????????

where is this plant??????????

the best one in the world...less than 50 percent.........

if you think Coal fired power plants are efficient I have a bridge to sell you

where coal losses are

1 Ash.......

2 Scrubbers/pollution control systems

3 on the steam cycle side...there is a reason for the need for cooling towers/cooling water......Take a class in thermodynamics

inherent loss when heat is converted into mechanical energy to turn the generators

5 the amount of energy put into mining , cleaning and transporting coal ...........this is not a small number

over 5% of the energy value of coal is required just to mine it, losses of coal during mining, etc etc.......

China's Pingshan Phase II Sets New Bar as World's Most ...

Oct 2, 2023  Pingshan Phase II, a cutting-edge 1.35-GW ultrasupercritical coal-fired unit, achieves a remarkable net efficiency of 49.37%—making it the ...

The average coal-fired power plant in the United States operates near 33% efficiency.

Edited by notsonice
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, specinho said:

Some coal plants have efficiency of ~87%.

I can absolutely confirm that NO coal plant has a thermal efficiency of 1/2 of what you state.

I can absolutely state that NO heat engine has ever achieved that degree of thermal efficiency (at least, not for very long).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Ah yes, speechio proving why I have him blocked... 87%... Uh huh.  Nice one! 

Pssstt: Moon is made of cheese

20 hours ago, notsonice said:

Some coal plants have efficiency of ~87%.?????????????????

the conversion of the BTUs in  coal to electrical energy....87 percent????????

where is this plant??????????

the best one in the world...less than 50 percent.........

if you think Coal fired power plants are efficient I have a bridge to sell you

where coal losses are

1 Ash.......

2 Scrubbers/pollution control systems

3 on the steam cycle side...there is a reason for the need for cooling towers/cooling water......Take a class in thermodynamics

inherent loss when heat is converted into mechanical energy to turn the generators

5 the amount of energy put into mining , cleaning and transporting coal ...........this is not a small number

over 5% of the energy value of coal is required just to mine it, losses of coal during mining, etc etc.......

China's Pingshan Phase II Sets New Bar as World's Most ...

Oct 2, 2023  Pingshan Phase II, a cutting-edge 1.35-GW ultrasupercritical coal-fired unit, achieves a remarkable net efficiency of 49.37%—making it the ...

The average coal-fired power plant in the United States operates near 33% efficiency.

9 hours ago, turbguy said:

I can absolutely confirm that NO coal plant has a thermal efficiency of 1/2 of what you state.

I can absolutely state that NO heat engine has ever achieved that degree of thermal efficiency (at least, not for very long).

5 hours ago, footeab@yahoo.com said:

Ah yes, speechio proving why I have him blocked... 87%... Uh huh.  Nice one! 

Pssstt: Moon is made of cheese

Kindly refer page 385 for this post:

IMG_20240429_131216.jpg

3 hours ago, specinho said:

Kindly refer page 385 for this post:

IMG_20240429_131216.jpg

It sounds like a post from Eco who loves spouting about how great coal is, but talks nonsense.

• Upvote 1