Ron Wagner

How Far Have We Really Gotten With Alternative Energy

On 6/6/2024 at 3:48 PM, turbguy said:

Yes, my state is really struggling with the forward-looking loss of severance tax income from coal.  It's in the multi-multi millions. .It has been a great fifty-year ride since the EPA fought "acid rain" by encouraging the use of low-sulfur (aka, PRB) coals.  Prior to that action, PRB coals were practically worthless.  Coal-switching issues at coal-fired generating units (such as ash fusion temperatures, fugitive dusts, pulverizing mill "puffs" (explosions)) were slowly overcome.

The locals are understandably concerned. Coal represents a considerable benefit to those communities. This situation is gonna go to the Courts, for sure.

That said, there is new interest to re-establish mining Uranium, and also Rare Earths in Wyoming.

Stay tuned!

They had better mine something else or the small population left in Wyoming will blow away with only sheep and a few cattle left.  Coal is FAR more expensive than NG, true, grid stability will suffer, but...

• Like 1

The area just north of the Denver metropolitan area could be developed with half acre plus lots and compete with Colorado where prices are undoubtedly rising. Good planning and low taxes would help. Colorado has turned into a purple state and it is no longer desirable for those who believe in smaller government and less regulations. 

It will also, eventually, benefit from growth from the Salt Lake City metro area. That will, some day, make Montana or North Dakota the least populated state or states. 

50 minutes ago, Ron Wagner said:

The area just north of the Denver metropolitan area could be developed with half acre plus lots and compete with Colorado where prices are undoubtedly rising. Good planning and low taxes would help. Colorado has turned into a purple state and it is no longer desirable for those who believe in smaller government and less regulations. 

It will also, eventually, benefit from growth from the Salt Lake City metro are, by drillinga. That will, some day, make Montana or North Dakota the least populated state or states. 

5 hours ago, footeab@yahoo.com said:

They had better mine something else or the small population left in Wyoming will blow away with only sheep and a few cattle left.  Coal is FAR more expensive than NG, true, grid stability will suffer, but...

Mining of Uranium. Rare Earths (the real stuff), and of course, Trona, is ongoing and being developed.  Uranium is "mined" in-situ, by drilling a hole, injecting some nasty stuff, then pumping out the nasty stuff with the "ore" for processing

Wyoming's primary export is...

WATER

...which we ain't figured out how to place a severance tax on, yet...

The availability of cheap WATER will determine residential development, more than ANYTHING else.  There is an "active" movement to install a pipeline from the Green River (a major Colorado River artery) and pump the stuff over the Continental Divide to the city of "Front Range".  I believe that folks that obtain water from the Colorado River are gonna complain a wee bit, however.

"Money talks and nobody walks" comes to mind.

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, Ron Wagner said:

It will also, eventually, benefit from growth from the Salt Lake City metro area. That will, some day, make Montana or North Dakota the least populated state or states. 

Uh, North of Denver has already turned into what you have said.  Almost to the Wyoming border(not quite)  Colorado is as sky blue , 60% Blue.  Nothing purple about it.  ~ half million snow birds from Northern USA have moved in bringing all their GARBAGE no law, perversion policies and have completely taken over the public school system.   Colorado has turned into a state to RUN from.  4.5% income tax and high property taxes, +  sales taxes. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, footeab@yahoo.com said:

Uh, North of Denver has already turned into what you have said.  Almost to the Wyoming border(not quite)  Colorado is as sky blue , 60% Blue.  Nothing purple about it.  ~ half million snow birds from Northern USA have moved in bringing all their GARBAGE no law, perversion policies and have completely taken over the public school system.   Colorado has turned into a state to RUN from.  4.5% income tax and high property taxes, +  sales taxes. 

by the looks of it Wyoming is losing population over the past 15 years and Colorado is having huge gains.......

looks like people are running to Colorado and not Wyoming...........

GARBAGE no law, perversion policies and have completely taken over the public school system.  ???? you are babbling again

you are not taking your meds again.??????.........Get help

image.png.733145e96234dbfca512f03e8745827d.png

Colorado Population by Year - 2023 Statistics, Facts & Trends - Neilsberg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ron Wagner said:

That will, some day, make Montana or North Dakota the least populated state or states. ????

I thought they have been in the past and today  have been  in the 5 least populated  states....Nothing will ever change this ............unless you get the weather to change in either state...............good luck

people do not move to Wyoming because of the weather which keeps  large cities from forming ...the 20 -30 year crowd  of Wyoming always  move south because of better weather and better job opportunities found in large cities to the south..Colorado Texas Arizona. The biggest city in Wyoming is Cheyenne and the Pop...........64,000

North Dakota...............same problems same reason the 20 -30 year old crowds move out of state

Upper Minnesota  same problems same reason the 20 -30 year old crowds move south

UP Michigan same problems

Montana ......same problems same reason the 20 -30 year old crowds move out of state

Has really nothing to do with politics, taxes or regulations

I have moved in the past multiple times ...always for Job Opportunities and now as retirement is in the near future ....for the weather. I could care less in the past about  the taxes......politics or regulations.  as I do not sleep with politicians nor do I worry about taxes ( I will not move to a frozen wasteland to get lower taxes or to avoid regulations of any nature...................

Retirement .................Just so I do not have to shovel snow or worry about slipping on ice or drive on either and do not have to worry about Hurricanes...Florida is off the list ......great place but way to swampy

Love Coastal cities that are not Hurricane prone or infested with critters and it does not snow

North Carolina great  Loved living in South Carolina....but the size of the cock roaches.....yeash ....West Coast great............Arizona ...........too f.....ing hot........Wyoming great to visit ...North Dakota......or Northern Minnesota...........great in the summers..........winters suck

• Great Response! 1

Very true. I live in the middle of Illinois near Springfield. The State Capital, and former home of Abraham Lincoln.  He used to ride his horse behind my home in Decatur. Our housing is some of the most affordable in the country. Job outlook is not too bad, and Springfield etc are within commuting distance. A very nice home would run around $150,000.  Homes that are livable but not in the best area start around $30,000. 

We have many very nice neighborhoods with large lots, trees, etc. I live on an acre with giant oaks, pines, and other types. A lake (reservoir) runs through town fed by the Sangamon river. 

We have very clean air, very little snow, about 35 inches of rain spread throughout the growing season. No irrigation for crops is needed. 

The governor is a tyrant and his family of Pritzkers runs hotels filled with illegal alien workers. They are multi-billionaires.  He lives in Chicago rather than the Governor's Mansion in Springfield. His policies are about the same as Newsome in California that I moved from, forty years ago. 

At my age, I am going to just stay where I am, since I love it here, and everything is familiar and convenient. We have no traffic problems whatsoever. Our freeways are never clogged.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2024 at 11:09 PM, notsonice said:

by the looks of it Wyoming is losing population over the past 15 years and Colorado is having huge gains.......

looks like people are running to Colorado and not Wyoming...........

GARBAGE no law, perversion policies and have completely taken over the public school system.  ???? you are babbling again

you are not taking your meds again.??????.........Get help

image.png.733145e96234dbfca512f03e8745827d.png

Colorado Population by Year - 2023 Statistics, Facts & Trends - Neilsberg

Welcome to far left Colorado. I just got back from Denver. I used to visit my sister in the Boulder area. She is a flaming liberal and owns apartments in Denver. She has moved to a suburb of Portland now and says there are no problems there. Denver looks pretty food compared to Los Angeles. The Rockies are beautiful but there is no ocean and few large lakes, so not a pick. Living a mile high is not great for many old folks, like me, either.

• Downvote 1

53 minutes ago, notsonice said:

Well, clueless wonderboy, China added ~70GW of coal last year to its capacity.  India added 10% capacity in Coal last year alone.  China Today has over 400GW of MORE coal planned and 200GW currently under construction  https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/11/climate/global-coal-power-china-climate-intl/index.html

SUggest REALITY

Today, China has ~1.2TW of "wind"(cliamed 25% CF) and "solar"(unclaimed) and only get about 12% of their power from it.  So... Increase by 50% and we get up to 18%... Assuming the population does not go for

1. electric vehicles(Oh wait....), r
  2. efrigerators(how dare they have refrigerators like people in the west!!!),
  3. and HVAC(Ack, NO!,not sweating their balls off ).... Oh, no!  

And you are driveling about a 50% increase in "wind" and "solar" 

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!

Chump

Suggest Reality.

Try again

Peak coal has already occurred.... the outlook for coal fired generation in China..................2nd fiddle

the new plants in China..............sit idle waiting for the Sun to stop shining .............

enjoy the chart ....it is reality today

Solar power in China is now being built 2 times faster than just 2 years ago...Guess China does not like stinky air and importing coal...go figure

Coal-fired power in China - Running fewer hours to help meet reliability requirements

(edited)

coal is doomed, Peak coal has already occurred.... the outlook for coal fired generation in China..................2nd fiddle

Thermal’s decline has since accelerated, according to the China Coal Transportation and Distribution Association, dropping 13% year-on-year in the first half of June.

322620051a5f44a9da9e018cf351825a
Edited by notsonice