Ron Wagner

How Far Have We Really Gotten With Alternative Energy

(edited)

This Eminent Scientist Says Climate Activists Need to Get Real

That I don’t know, but aren’t there credible pathways to decarbonizing the grid? Mark Jacobson at Stanford has said we have most of the technology we need to produce America’s power renewably and keep the grid secure and stable by 2035. Or what about the example of countries like Norway or Namibia that are producing a vast majority of their energy from renewables? Check the China statistics. The country is adding, every year, gigawatts of new coal-fired power. Have you noticed that the whole world is now trying to get hands on as much natural gas as possible? This world is not yet done with fossil fuels.

Germany, after nearly half a trillion dollars, in 20 years they went from getting 84 percent of their primary energy from fossil fuels to 

Can you tell me how you’d go from 76 percent fossil to zero by 2030, 2035? I’m sorry, the reality is what it is.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2022/04/25/magazine/vaclav-smil-interview.html

Edited by Eyes Wide Open
  • Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, RichieRich216 said:

An “empty claim” what don't you use or touch during today, yesterday, or last week that doesn't have fossil fuels as part of it.

I don't need to cut and paste an article by someone who may or may not have an. Agenda, 

I'll tell you the secret, but don't youtell anyone! You learned it in school, Ready for it, Chemistry!!

No you just have your vacuous agenda driven claim not based on any research whatsoever. Everything produced with fossil fuels today can be replaced with renewables tomorrow.

• Downvote 2

(edited)

8 minutes ago, Jay McKinsey said:

Otherwise known as 99% of all scientific research on climate change.

Pure nonsense, that old canard has long since been exposed as a PR exercise. You are behind the times, Jay. 

You have not produced a single study to show CO2 is a problem, whereas I cited to you the newer research.

Edited by Ecocharger

Jay name one item or product that has absolutely no fossil fuel used?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Ecocharger said:

Pure nonsense, that old canard has long since been exposed as a PR exercise. You are behind the times, Jay.

You have not produced a single study to show CO2 is a problem, whereas I cited to you the newer research.

I thoroughly debunked your research. Solar energy is down but temperature is way up.

Just now, Jay McKinsey said:

I thoroughly debunked your research. Solar energy is down but temperature is way up.

Where is the CO2 factor in that PR chart? There is no CO2 statistic. Get out your reading glasses, Jay.

And you misquoted that item about 99%.

1 minute ago, RichieRich216 said:

Jay name one item or product that has absolutely no fossil fuel used?

You apparently can't contemplate that I keep saying tomorrow there will be. The primary path will be renewable energy to create green hydrogen and atmospheric carbon removal to make green hydrocarbons for everything from steel to plastic to fertilizer and everything else.

‘Green steel’: Swedish company ships first batch made without using coal

This article is more than 8 months old

Hybrit sends steel made with hydrogen production process to Volvo, which plans to use it in prototype vehicles and components

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/aug/19/green-steel-swedish-company-ships-first-batch-made-without-using-coal

3 minutes ago, Ecocharger said:

Where is the CO2 factor in that PR chart? There is no CO2 statistic. Get out your reading glasses, Jay.

And you misquoted that item about 99%.

You really are thick. Debunking your claim does not require any reference to CO2. Your claim is debunked by the straightforward fact that solar energy has been decreasing while temperature has been rapidly increasing.

(edited)

5 minutes ago, Jay McKinsey said:

You really are thick. Debunking your claim does not require any reference to CO2. Your claim is debunked by the straightforward fact that solar energy has been decreasing while temperature has been rapidly increasing.

No, I showed you that your series is not the right one, and is out of date. Here is where that work showing "99%" came from, a climate change PR effort. The poll was conducted by the Alliance for Science, a climate change PR effort. Many climate change agitators have misquoted those studies, claiming that "99% of scientists" support the view of anthropogenic climate change, which is not the case at all. It is nowhere near that figure.

"Support for the Alliance for Science is provided by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation."

Edited by Ecocharger

Just now, Ecocharger said:

Here is where that work came from, a climate change PR effort. The poll was conducted by the Alliance for Science, a climate change PR effort.

"Support for the Alliance for Science is provided by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation."

There was no poll involved, temperature and solar energy measurements are made by multiple devices and processes using state of the art scientific instruments such as the SOHO solar observatory satellite. 

(edited)

5 minutes ago, Jay McKinsey said:

There was no poll involved, temperature and solar energy measurements are made by multiple devices and processes using state of the art scientific instruments such as the SOHO solar observatory satellite. 

Read your own quote, it has nothing to do with "instruments". It is a random poll of scientific publications. How could you miss that? When you quote a source, you should read the source. In this "random" poll, I do not know if the new research is even included.

Edited by Ecocharger
  • Haha 1

(edited)

27 minutes ago, Ecocharger said:

Read your own quote, it has nothing to do with "instruments". It is a random poll of scientific publications. How could you miss that? When you quote a source, you should read the source.

GISTEMP is from weather stations: Graphs and tables are updated around the middle of every month using current data files from NOAA GHCN v4 (meteorological stations) and ERSST v5 (ocean areas), combined as described in our publications Hansen et al. (2010) and Lenssen et al. (2019). These updated files incorporate reports for the previous month and also late reports and corrections for earlier months. https://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/

PMOD Solar Irradiance is from the SOHO solar observatory satellite:

Contemporary radiometric measurements from satellites:  Recently, TSI has been measured by the Total Irradiance Monitor (TIM); two versions of this instrument have flown on the SORCE spacecraft (providing TSI measurements since 2003) and the TCTE platform (providing TSI measurements since 2013).  SORCE and TCTE data are available through the University of Colorado's Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics.

A joint European Space Agency-NASA experiment known as VIRGO, which encompasses 3 instruments for TSI on the SOHO spacecraft, has provided TSI data from the mid-1990s to present.

Earlier satellite-era TSI measurements came from the ERB/HF, ACRIM, and ERBS missions.  Data from these earlier missions have been combined with contemporary VIRGO measurements to form a composite satellite-era TSI record known as PMOD (named for the institute in Davos, Switzerland that produces the data), which spans 1978-present.

https://climatedataguide.ucar.edu/climate-data/total-solar-irradiance-tsi-datasets-overview

Edited by Jay McKinsey
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Ecocharger said:

Jay, here is where your study comes from, the Alliance for Science. It is claimed in this article to be a public relations organization.

https://usrtk.org/our-investigations/cornell-alliance-for-science-is-campaign-for-agrichemical-industry/

I have no idea what you are babbling about. My data debunking your claim has nothing to do with that group.

(edited)

31 minutes ago, Ecocharger said:

No, I showed you that your series is not the right one, and is out of date.

No you made an imbecilic claim that data from the SOHO solar observatory is not used by solar scientists.  

About the SOHO Mission

SOHO, the Solar & Heliospheric Observatory, is a project of international collaboration between ESA and NASA to study the Sun from its deep core to the outer corona and the solar wind.

SOHO was launched on December 2, 1995. The SOHO spacecraft was built in Europe by an industry team led by prime contractor Matra Marconi Space (now EADS Astrium) under overall management by ESA. The twelve instruments on board SOHO were provided by European and American scientists. Nine of the international instrument consortia are led by European Principal Investigators (PI's), three by PI's from the US. Large engineering teams and more than 200 co-investigators from many institutions supported the PI's in the development of the instruments and in the preparation of their operations and data analysis. NASA was responsible for the launch and is now responsible for mission operations. Large radio dishes around the world which form NASA's Deep Space Network are used for data downlink and commanding. Mission control is based at Goddard Space Flight Center in Maryland.

Further information about SOHO:

PMOD Solar Irradiance is from the SOHO solar observatory satellite:

Contemporary radiometric measurements from satellites:  Recently, TSI has been measured by the Total Irradiance Monitor (TIM); two versions of this instrument have flown on the SORCE spacecraft (providing TSI measurements since 2003) and the TCTE platform (providing TSI measurements since 2013).  SORCE and TCTE data are available through the University of Colorado's Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics.

A joint European Space Agency-NASA experiment known as VIRGO, which encompasses 3 instruments for TSI on the SOHO spacecraft, has provided TSI data from the mid-1990s to present.

Earlier satellite-era TSI measurements came from the ERB/HF, ACRIM, and ERBS missions.  Data from these earlier missions have been combined with contemporary VIRGO measurements to form a composite satellite-era TSI record known as PMOD (named for the institute in Davos, Switzerland that produces the data), which spans 1978-present.

Edited by Jay McKinsey

30 minutes ago, Jay McKinsey said:

You apparently can't contemplate that I keep saying tomorrow there will be. The primary path will be renewable energy to create green hydrogen and atmospheric carbon removal to make green hydrocarbons for everything from steel to plastic to fertilizer and everything else.

‘Green steel’: Swedish company ships first batch made without using coal

This article is more than 8 months old

Hybrit sends steel made with hydrogen production process to Volvo, which plans to use it in prototype vehicles and components

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/aug/19/green-steel-swedish-company-ships-first-batch-made-without-using-coal

Chemistry is Chemistry; want to go back to the moon, more satilites exploring Mars? Not going to the next closest town/city? 

THE article you posted regarding steel, how did it leave the plant, place on ship?

Fossil Fuels for the next 50 years, I have had this argument dating back to the 70’ so look back at the 70’s until May 5th, 2022, same old fight song the world is doomed in 20 years, doomed by 2010, always been just a talking point while every major industry worldwide keep raking in the cash on fossil fuels!

1 minute ago, RichieRich216 said:

Chemistry is Chemistry; want to go back to the moon, more satilites exploring Mars? Not going to the next closest town/city? 

THE article you posted regarding steel, how did it leave the plant, place on ship?

Fossil Fuels for the next 50 years, I have had this argument dating back to the 70’ so look back at the 70’s until May 5th, 2022, same old fight song the world is doomed in 20 years, doomed by 2010, always been just a talking point while every major industry worldwide keep raking in the cash on fossil fuels!

You are also as thick as ever. I just explained to you that green hydrogen can be converted into any green hydrocarbon. 

This Green Hydrogen Plant Could Soon Fuel SpaceX Rockets

The future runs on hydrogen.

MAR 7, 2022

us space spacex starship

JIM WATSONGETTY IMAGES
  • Energy startup Green Hydrogen International (GHI) is planning to develop a new project based in South Texas.
  • The hub plans to supply billionaire Elon Musk’s SpaceX with green hydrogen for the rocket company’s methane-powered rocket engines.
  • Other uses for the abundant, colorless gas include adding it to ammonia for fertilizers and generating environmentally friendly jet fuels.

Mars evangelist and SpaceX founder Elon Musk may soon have an easier time going green.

Green Hydrogen International (GHI), a Texas-based energy startup, announced plans last week to develop a brand-new green hydrogen project—the world’s largest—in South Texas. GHI says some of the hydrogen from this project will be used to develop clean rocket fuel for Elon Musk’s aerospace company SpaceX.

spacex green hydrogen plant

https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/green-tech/a39353989/green-hydrogen-plant-could-fuel-spacex-rockets/#:~:text=The hub plans to supply,generating environmentally friendly jet fuels.

India adds 10 GW solar capacity in 2022

Solar capacity installations in the country jumped by a record 210 per cent to 10 gigawatts during 2021, Mercom Communications India said in a report on Thursday. The green capacity installations reached a level of 3.2 gigawatts (GW) in 2020, the research firm said in its 'Indian Solar Sector Market Leaders' report.

"In CY 2021, India saw a record 10 GW of new solar capacity installed, a big jump of 210 per cent compared to 3.2 GW the year before. The newly installed solar capacity in ..

2 hours ago, Eric Gagen said:

I hope you realize that EVERY item in your list applies equally to the production of ICE vehicles.  All you have done is list some of the inputs required for a generic automobile of any sort. 

You're free to list a shit load of “green” possibilities, but none of that decreases the carbon footprint it creates.

You say I'm thick; everything around you, you can and should thank the fossil fuels industry!

And anything that is currently “green.” exists because of some chemical makeup of fossil fuel.

The only time we are off fossil fuels and everything they make is when all oil is exhausted but again the Nazi’s created synthetic oil out of coal.

4 hours ago, Jay McKinsey said:

I have no idea what you are babbling about. My data debunking your claim has nothing to do with that group.

You were the one who quoted the article. That 99% figure comes from a public relations exercise. How could you miss that?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jay McKinsey said:

India adds 10 GW solar capacity in 2022

Solar capacity installations in the country jumped by a record 210 per cent to 10 gigawatts during 2021, Mercom Communications India said in a report on Thursday. The green capacity installations reached a level of 3.2 gigawatts (GW) in 2020, the research firm said in its 'Indian Solar Sector Market Leaders' report.

"In CY 2021, India saw a record 10 GW of new solar capacity installed, a big jump of 210 per cent compared to 3.2 GW the year before. The newly installed solar capacity in ..

India is planning huge coal production increases.

Your solar statistics are not the ones used by the scientists, Jay. You had nothing there.

Also, your data was out of date.

(edited)

No you made an imbecilic claim that data from the SOHO solar observatory is not used by solar scientists.  

About the SOHO Mission

SOHO, the Solar & Heliospheric Observatory, is a project of international collaboration between ESA and NASA to study the Sun from its deep core to the outer corona and the solar wind.

SOHO was launched on December 2, 1995. The SOHO spacecraft was built in Europe by an industry team led by prime contractor Matra Marconi Space (now EADS Astrium) under overall management by ESA. The twelve instruments on board SOHO were provided by European and American scientists. Nine of the international instrument consortia are led by European Principal Investigators (PI's), three by PI's from the US. Large engineering teams and more than 200 co-investigators from many institutions supported the PI's in the development of the instruments and in the preparation of their operations and data analysis. NASA was responsible for the launch and is now responsible for mission operations. Large radio dishes around the world which form NASA's Deep Space Network are used for data downlink and commanding. Mission control is based at Goddard Space Flight Center in Maryland.

Further information about SOHO:

PMOD Solar Irradiance is from the SOHO solar observatory satellite:

A joint European Space Agency-NASA experiment known as VIRGO, which encompasses 3 instruments for TSI on the SOHO spacecraft, has provided TSI data from the mid-1990s to present.

Earlier satellite-era TSI measurements came from the ERB/HF, ACRIM, and ERBS missions.  Data from these earlier missions have been combined with contemporary VIRGO measurements to form a composite satellite-era TSI record known as PMOD (named for the institute in Davos, Switzerland that produces the data), which spans 1978-present.

Again, this is not the data used for the new solar studies. I gave you the correct data.

Edited by Ecocharger

2 minutes ago, Ecocharger said:

You were the one who quoted the article. That 99% figure comes from a public relations exercise. How could you miss that?

There are numerous studies:

The scientific consensus on human-caused global warming has been a topic of intense interest in recent decades. This is in part due to the important role of public perception of expert consensus, which has downstream impacts on public opinion and support for mitigation policies. Numerous studies, using diverse methodologies and measures of climate expertise, have quantified the scientific consensus, finding between 90% and 100% agreement on human-caused global warming with multiple studies converging on 97% agreement. This study revisits the consensus among geoscientists ten years after an initial survey of experts, while exploring different ways to define expertise and the level of agreement among these groups. We sent 10 929 invitations to participate in our survey to a verified email list of geosciences faculty at reporting academic and research institutions and received 2780 responses. In addition to analyzing the raw survey results, we independently quantify how many publications self-identified climate experts published in the field of climate change research and compare that to their survey response on questions about climate change. As well as a binary approach classifying someone as 'expert' or 'non-expert', we also look at expertise as a scale. We find that agreement on anthropogenic global warming is high (91% to 100%) and generally increases with expertise. Out of a group of 153 independently confirmed climate experts, 98.7% of those scientists indicated that the Earth is getting warmer mostly because of human activity such as burning fossil fuels. Among those with the highest level of expertise (independently confirmed climate experts who each published 20+ peer reviewed papers on climate change between 2015 and 2019) there was 100% agreement that the Earth is warming mostly because of human activity. https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/ac2774/meta

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1