Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rainman

Europe's Electricity Supply Could Drop Just In Time For The Next Blast Of Heat

Thousands of wind turbines from Germany to the U.K. are set to grind to a halt next week, cutting electricity supplies at the same time as the next wave of hot weather arrives. As the warmest second quarter in 30 years draws to a close, next-month power prices in Europe’s biggest economy are already trading at their highest for this time of year since 2011. The drop in wind, coupled with forecasts for hotter-than-normal weather across Northwest Europe, could give wholesale rates another lift. 

• Like 1

I wonder how the massive investment in "green" energy is working out in Europe...

1 minute ago, franco said:

I wonder how the massive investment in "green" energy is working out in Europe...

Not so great.  What it has done is shift a substantial amount of societal wealth into the pockets of just a few people.  It is in effect a form of transfer tax; you need electricity, so you get taxed and the tax cash flows to the developers of the wind farms. 

13 minutes ago, rainman said:

Thousands of wind turbines from Germany to the U.K. are set to grind to a halt next week, cutting electricity supplies at the same time as the next wave of hot weather arrives. As the warmest second quarter in 30 years draws to a close, next-month power prices in Europe’s biggest economy are already trading at their highest for this time of year since 2011. The drop in wind, coupled with forecasts for hotter-than-normal weather across Northwest Europe, could give wholesale rates another lift. 

Looking at the long term weather forecast (I've chosen Lowetsoft as its near to many of the UK's large offshore wind farms) ground level wind speeds rarely drop below 10mph so the UK's east coast turbines will be turning for all of next week. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/0/2643490

Further north Skeggy looks even better

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/0/2637762

I suspect solar output will be rather high too.