Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ivens Saber

Transportation Prices

Hi,

I would like to know the prices of Oil and Gas Transportation (ship, train, pipeline, etc) from a country to another ? 
For instance, if I want to export my 15.2 million barrels crude oil from Iran to China via a ship, what would be the cost ?

Can someone indicate me a general study from EIA or other about it ?

Thank you very much for your answears.

Best Regards

Ivens

Ivens, the "transport prices" are so much per day per ship. OK, so that sounds a little vague.  

The shipper engages a shipping company which in turn charters (or owns) a tanker or fleet of tankers from a shipowner. The shipping charter market is about the purest example of competitive market that you can find. All the players have the same cost components except of course the companies with newbuild ships face interest payments on their loans which the companies with old wornout stuff do not  (but those face other costs and risks).  But in general, if you have two ships each say of 600,000 barrels capacity, they will charter for close to the same amount.  

Those charter prices vary, both to the size class of the tanker and the number of days at sea (thus you might pay a little less per day for a faster ship, but pay more per day because the faster ship burns a lot more fuel per day).  Typically, but not always, the larger the tanker the lower the cost per ton to ship.  However it shakes out, it is not all that much: figure a few dollars per barrel.  but the costs can easily double or drop by half, dependent on the vagaries of the tanker charter market.  Hope this helps.

In the US, it costs about double to ship by train than by pipeline.