VK

Tesla Gigafactory To Be Powered 100% By “Tesla Solar” By End Of 2019

Musk shared on Twitter that Tesla Gigafactory 1 will be powered 100% by Tesla Solar by the end of 2019. The confirmation came as he worked to silence claims that the emissions footprint for building an electric vehicle are higher than those for building an internal combustion vehicle. Tesla took the hardline with its Gigafactory very early on, boldly proclaiming that it would not even run any natural gas to the facility, so as not to be tempted by it.

This comes from a Musk tweet. As we've seen the past few months, all of Musk's tweets always come true. 

• Like 3

Many corps make a point out of powering their offices with solar, but Tesla is unusual. Not only it has its own solar plants, instead of buying generation from solar companies, but it also intends to use solar to power its factories, not just offices and campuses.

Remember the five minute automatic battery changers? Or the $35000 car? Or the hundreds of thousands of solar roofs? Or the tunnel under LA? Or the hands off the wheel self driving car? Enough said!

• Upvote 1

They are already installing panels so they're already above 0%, but time will tell if they can reach the 100% goal by end of 2019.

Funding secured.

• Like 1

Tesla-internet-fail1.thumb.jpg.7f51852527f1537b8d9969adb76c79d1.jpg

So, when the internet connection is lost, some Tesla users cannot unlock or start their car.   Bwahahahahahaha.

Tesla’s fleet internet network is down [Updated]

Tesla’s fleet network connection, which is an increasingly important feature for owners, is currently down fleet-wide.

We contacted Tesla for more information and will update this post once we get more information.

Update: a Tesla spokesperson said that they are “working to resolve the issue.”

Tesla’s network has been down for prolonged periods of times before.

The internet connection and access to the Tesla app is also more important for Model 3 owners who often use it as their main way to unlock and start their car.

During the last internet connection shutdown, Tesla said that Model 3 owners should still be able to use their phone as a key if they stay signed into their Tesla account.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Tom Kirkman said:

Tesla-internet-fail1.thumb.jpg.7f51852527f1537b8d9969adb76c79d1.jpg

So, when the internet connection is lost, some Tesla users cannot unlock or start their car.   Bwahahahahahaha

so that would be all the time where I live. FanTAStic! Where can I get me one of those fabulous vehicles?? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rodent said:

so that would be all the time where I live. FanTAStic! Where can I get me one of those fabulous vehicles?? 

If I recall correctly, there is a spare one currently on a rocket headed to Mars.  Pretty sure that one will have difficulty unlocking and starting, though.

• Like 1

Implying tesla will exist by the end of 2019.

1 hour ago, Sebastian Meana said:

Implying tesla will exist by the end of 2019.

5b9235bb5c5e5254548b59f5-750-563.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tom Kirkman said:

5b9235bb5c5e5254548b59f5-750-563.jpg

Aw, c'mon, Tom, he only took one hit! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jan van Eck said:

Aw, c'mon, Tom, he only took one hit! 

Did he inhale?  What IS the meaning of IS?  Now I know where he gets all of his cool ideas.

• Upvote 3

On 8/28/2018 at 2:05 PM, Peelstick said:

Remember the five minute automatic battery changers? Or the $35000 car? Or the hundreds of thousands of solar roofs? Or the tunnel under LA? Or the hands off the wheel self driving car? Enough said!

Remember the original Roadster, or the Model S, or the X, or the Falcon 9, or the Falcon Heavy, or the Model 3 at all, or the Powerwall,  or the Powerpack? Those are just the completed projects off the top of my head.

When it comes to someone who has executed this much successfully, it is not wise to discount work in progress just because it is running behind schedule.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bill the Science Nerd said:

You do realize there are other ways to unlock the car right?

"The internet connection and access to the Tesla app is also more important for Model 3 owners who often use it as their main way to unlock and start their car.

During the last internet connection shutdown, Tesla said that Model 3 owners should still be able to use their phone as a key if they stay signed into their Tesla account."

Still sounds like a nuisance.

Nuisance yes. While I would be annoyed that I could not start my AC before getting in the car when I felt it is a feature I paid for, failure to bring the key card back up is just poor planning on the part of the owner.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bill the Science Nerd said:

Nuisance yes. While I would be annoyed that I could not start my AC before getting in the car when I felt it is a feature I paid for, failure to bring the key card back up is just poor planning on the part of the owner.

Whatever happened to an old-fashioned door key? 

Being strictly a mechanical device, you put that key in the lock, give it a little turn, and Bingo! the door unlocks.  Seems rather elegant to me. 

Sometimes I conclude these guys install "technology" just because they think it looks cool.  Except when it stops working, of course. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bill the Science Nerd said:

But, aren't these cars supposed to be state of the art?  Don't get me wrong, I like what I see with the Tesla models coming online, but if I took the leap and bought one I would expect NO nuisances, none.  It's not my job to help with proving the technology.

If I walked into a Tesla dealership with this problem and someone there told me "failure to bring the key card back up is just poor planning on the part of the owner" sir, they would certainly be hearing how sub-par I felt their engineering and service is.

50 minutes ago, Jan van Eck said:

Whatever happened to an old-fashioned door key? 

Being strictly a mechanical device, you put that key in the lock, give it a little turn, and Bingo! the door unlocks.  Seems rather elegant to me. 

Sometimes I conclude these guys install "technology" just because they think it looks cool.  Except when it stops working, of course. 

Not secure enough in theory. In practice about the same. I have to say that I have had my share of trouble with car door keys. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Dan Warnick said:

If I walked into a Tesla dealership with this problem and someone there told me "failure to bring the key card back up is just poor planning on the part of the owner" sir, they would certainly be hearing how sub-par I felt their engineering and service is.

They do have in their literature that you are supposed to keep the key card with you. If you wait for something to be perfect, you will wait forever. How close to perfect it needs to be however IS up to you.

2 minutes ago, Bill the Science Nerd said:

Not secure enough in theory. In practice about the same. I have to say that I have had my share of trouble with car door keys. 

Bill, you cannot extrapolate from your personal trouble with car keys to a general revamping of every car on the planet.  The rest of us do reasonably well with ordinary keys.  OK, sometimes water gets in there and freezes up the lock in the dead of winter, and my answer to that is to not lock it for the night, hey if it is that cold, nobody is going around in the rural part of my State yanking on frozen doors to see if one might be left open, just too cold for the average druggie at minus 20 F.   Use graphite powder, park near enough to the house so that you can run a hair dryer out there, use alcohol as a solvent - lots of ways to defreeze a door lock. 

And put a spare key in some hidden place on the car body so that you can get at it if you lose your key!

24 minutes ago, Jan van Eck said:

And put a spare key in some hidden place on the car body so that you can get at it if you lose your key!

But that is Tesla's solution !

Owner lost key to car needed assistance - called the wrong people

image.jpeg.86a271c3e14509b001f089b653be8830.jpeg

• Like 1