Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AV

A Chinese Tesla Rival Launches $1.3 Billion U.S. IPO

NIO  is seeking to raise up to $1.3 billion from a U.S. initial public offering that would give it a valuation as high as $8.5 billion, according to an SEC filing. NIO competes with Tesla and is hoping to go public before it has turned a profit. NIO began delivering its first cars earlier this summer and is planning a second model next year.

NIO
45 million$ revenue, 0 profit, Valuation: 8.5 billion$

Tesla
4 billion$ revenue, 0 profit, Valuation: 53 billion$

Jaguar as well as soon Audi, Mercedes and Porsche will release their premium EVs, alongside very high brand prestige. Tesla had the advantage of being the first to offer premium EVs, but facing all the competition that will come up, it will be very difficult to convince European/American customers to buy a no-name EV from NIO for the same price as an Tesla or Audi/Mercedes/Jaguar EV!  

Many people are ridiculing them, but I wouldn't be surprised if Chinese companies or German car makers like VW who all focus on affordable EV cars from the beginning, are a much more dangerous competition on the world market for Tesla. 

At this point I will be staying with the proven winner, Tesla. They already have the full charging network that works extremely well for me, they have the battery manufacturing, they have the factories, engineers, business plans, software, autopilot, and service centers.  

Well, since Tesla cannot manufacture or deliver enough cars to make a profit, I think their technology isn't moving in the direction hoped.  Since China will have to steal Teslas technology to go into electric cars I don't see much upside in this IPO.