ML

E-car Sales Collapse

(edited)

Hey at least foot in mouth didn't pretend to use "math" this time.  Progress!

Claims without any merit or references sure, but still, not a single tilde or any pretend math in that paragraph!

Wow!  The guy has the capacity to learn.

Edited by TailingsPond
  • Haha 1

(edited)

1 hour ago, footeab@yahoo.com said:

Yes, Coal has almost as many deaths per year as Oil/Gas industry(especially if we ignore the refining portion which is the majority of the deaths and will still exist even if we go 100% solar), yet provides a fraction of the power making Coal far worse.  Coal is still vastly safer than Wind per GWh produced.  Solar--> Safest by FAR in the world.  No giant machines, no giant moving parts, no giant digging or tunneling. Almost zero maintenance, Not high up in the air on ropes, ladders, cranes(if we ignore solar installations on residential roofs which still kills a lot of people and ONLY look at commercial installations).  Other than Nuclear, solar is by far the safest energy source(not power source unless one includes batteries/NG and their associated deaths from mining those minerals).  Nuclear is still the safest power source in the world.  Now if only we can get the dipshit politico hoes out of the way to develop Breeder Liquid Salt reactors eating all available Uranium/Thorium and nuclear waste.  Now if only we can figure out how to make solar panels recyclable.  Aluminum/Glass recycle just fine, but all that glue/silicon/nickel/silver screws it up for the glass portion of recycling. 

How will the majority of coal mining and oil refining deaths still exist if we are 100% solar?

Why should we ignore refinery or mining deaths ever?  Always include them in your "analysis" - did you factor in the PM 2.5 emissions yet? 

You can use the vulgar word whore; try not to hide your crudeness.

#logic

Edited by TailingsPond

(edited)

8 hours ago, footeab@yahoo.com said:

Yes, Coal has almost as many deaths per year as Oil/Gas industry(especially if we ignore the refining portion which is the majority of the deaths and will still exist even if we go 100% solar), yet provides a fraction of the power making Coal far worse.  Coal is still vastly safer than Wind per GWh produced.  Solar--> Safest by FAR in the world.  No giant machines, no giant moving parts, no giant digging or tunneling. Almost zero maintenance, Not high up in the air on ropes, ladders, cranes(if we ignore solar installations on residential roofs which still kills a lot of people and ONLY look at commercial installations).  Other than Nuclear, solar is by far the safest energy source(not power source unless one includes batteries/NG and their associated deaths from mining those minerals).  Nuclear is still the safest power source in the world.  Now if only we can get the dipshit politico hoes out of the way to develop Breeder Liquid Salt reactors eating all available Uranium/Thorium and nuclear waste.  Now if only we can figure out how to make solar panels recyclable.  Aluminum/Glass recycle just fine, but all that glue/silicon/nickel/silver screws it up for the glass portion of recycling. 

Coal is still vastly safer than Wind per GWh produced.  Solar--> Safest by FAR in the world. 

No giant machines, no giant moving parts, no giant digging or tunneling. Almost zero maintenance,?????????

what planet are you from

You obviously have never worked in an underground coal mine.......any mining experience?????

easy shit shooting the face in a coal mine????????

easy work pulling pillars????

easy work bolting????

easy work putting in roof support in areas of bad roof?????

Easy work setting timbers?????

Easy work moving a long wall

Easy work running LHD???

Easy work advancing a section?????

Easy work setting cribs

and I bet you never ever worked 

on a tunneling project

or shaft sinking

or on a belt line

or in a prep plant

or anything related to mining

How the F do you think the coal gets removed from the face and gets to the loadout??????? guys with picks and donkeys??????

You would not last more than 30 minutes underground.... a little bump  and you would shit your pants.......

my personal experiences of co workers losing the lifes around heavy machinery in a coal mine   ...yeah and all these guy were safety conscious 

Friend was cut in half on the conveyor line at the drive....heavy machinery

coworkers (mechanic) head was popped off on the Longwall...super heavy machinery

Supervisor died of a heart attack fighting a fire in an advancing section. The fire was  started by the continuous miner (heavy machinery) hitting a bleeder...try putting out a gas bleeder with nothing but coal surrounding you and praying you do not trigger a bump and POOOOOOOOOF everyone is gone

all of these deaths happened in just 4 years in one mine

here is typical equipment used to cut the coal

image.jpeg.ac3b9866286cf3262670dbeebfd07a54.jpeg

image.jpeg.2dcf6d3a9d74adcefe7cbba017cfd0ec.jpeg

Edited by notsonice
  • Upvote 1

(edited)

stack these stats against wind turbines Foot in the mouth

and tell me again coal mining is safer

Listing Of Selected Historic Mine Disasters

Coal Mines

All accidents with five or more fatalities, since 1970

YEAR DAY MINE LOCATION TYPE DEATHS
2010 4/05 Upper Big Branch Mine-South, Performance Coal Company Raleigh County, Montcoal, West Virginia Ignition or Explosion of Gas or Dust 29
2007 8/06 Crandall Canyon Mine, Genwal Resources Inc. Emery County, Huntington, Utah Fall of Face or Rib 6
2006 5/20 Darby Mine No. 1, Kentucky Darby LLC Harlan County, Middlesboro, Kentucky Explosion 5
2006 1/02 Sago Mine, Anker West Virginia Mining Company Inc. Upshur County, Buckhannon, West Virginia Explosion 12
2001 9/23 No. 5 Mine, Jim Walter Resources, Inc. Tuscaloosa County, Brookwood, Alabama Explosion 13
1992 12/07 No. 3 Mine, Southmoutain Coal Co. Wise Co., Norton, Virginia Explosion 8
1989 9/13 William Station No. 9 Mine, Pyro Mining Co. Union Co., Wheatcroft, Kentucky Explosion 10
1986 2/06 Loveridge No. 22, Consolidation Coal Co. Marion Co., Fairview, West Virginia Suffocation (surface stockpile) 5
1984 12/19 Wilberg Mine, Emery Mining Corp. Emery Co., Orangeville, Utah Fire 27
1983 06/21 McClure No. 1 Mine, Clinchfield Coal Co. Dickinson Co., McClure, Virginia Explosion 7
1982 1/20 No. 1 Mine, RFH Coal Co. Floyd Co., Craynor, Kentucky Explosion 7
1981 12/08 No. 21 Mine, Grundy Mining Co. Marion Co., Whitwell, Tennessee Explosion 13
1981 12/07 No. 11 Mine, Adkins Coal Co. Knott Co., Kite, Kentucky Explosion 8
1981 4/15 Dutch Creek No. 1, Mid-Continent Resources, Inc. Pitkin Co., Redstone, Colorado Explosion 15
1980 11/07 Ferrell No. 17, Westmorland Coal Co. Boone Co., Uneeda, West Virginia Explosion 5
1978 4/04 Moss No.3 Portal A, Clinchfield Coal Co. Dickinson Co., Duty, Virginia Suffocation (oxygen deficient air) 5
1977 03/01 Porter Tunnel, Kocher Coal Co. Schuykill Co., Tower City, Pennsylvania Flood 9
1976 3/9-11 Scotia Mine, Blue Diamond Coal Co. Letcher Co., Oven Fork, Kentucky Explosion 26
1972 12/16 Itmann No. 3 Mine, Itmann Coal Co. Wyoming Co., Itmann, West Virginia Explosion 5
1972 07/22 Blacksville No. 1, Consolidation Coal Co. Monongalia Co., Blacksville, West Virginia Fire 9
1970 12/30 Nos. 15 and 16 Mines, Finley Coal Co. Leslie Co., Hyden, Kentucky Explosion 38

The six worst coal mine disasters, since 1940

1968 11/20 Consol No. 9 Farmington, West Virginia Explosion 78
1951 12/21 Orient No. 2 West Frankfort, Illinois Explosion 119
1947 3/25 Centralia No. 5 Centralia, Illinois Explosion 111
1943 3/16 Smith Mine Washoe, Montana Explosion 74
1940 3/16 Willow Grove No. 10 St. Clairsville, Ohio Explosion 72
1940 1/10 Pond Creek No. 1 Bartley, West Virginia Explosion 91

The three worst coal mine disasters in U.S. history

1913 10/22 Stag Canon No. 2 Dawson, New Mexico Explosion 263
1909 11/13 Cherry Mine Cherry, Illinois Fire 259
1907 12/06 Monongah Nos. 6 and 8 Monongah, West Virginia Explosion 362

Metal And Nonmetal (Non-Coal) Mines

1979 06/08 Belle Isle Mine, Cargill, Inc. (salt) St. Mary Parish, Franklin, Louisiana Explosion 5
1972 05/02 Sunshine Mine, Sushine Mining Co. (silver) Shoshone Co., Kellogg, Idaho Fire 91
1971 04/12 Barnett Complex, Ozark-Mahoning Co. (fluorspar) Pope Co., Rosiclair, Illinois Hydrogen sulfide gas 7

The five worst metal and nonmetal mine disasters, since 1940

1972 05/02 Sunshine Mine (silver) Kellogg, Idaho Fire 91
1968 03/06 Belle Isle Mine (salt) Franklin, Louisiana Fire 21
1963 08/28 Cane Creek Mine (potash) Moab, Utah Explosion 18
1943 01/05 Boyd Mine (copper) Ducktown, Tennessee Explosion 9
1942 03/26 Sandts Eddy Quarry (limestone) Allentown, Pennsylvania Explosion (surface) 31

The three worst metal and nonmetal mine disasters in U.S. history

1926 11/03 Barnes Hecker Mine (iron) Ishpeming, Michigan Flood 51
1917 06/08 Granite Mountain Shaft (copper) Butte, Montana Fire 163
Edited by notsonice
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, notsonice said:

Coal is still vastly safer than Wind per GWh produced.  Solar--> Safest by FAR in the world. 

No giant machines, no giant moving parts, no giant digging or tunneling. Almost zero maintenance,?????????

I wish they did tunnel / shaft / underground mining for coal around here. Coal around here is gross open pit mines that produce huge amounts of dust pollution even before any of the coal is burnt.

These guys just don't get it!

Wiki-Overburden_at_Opencut_Coal_Mine-1024x1021.jpg

COAL_IMG_1868 2.jpg

2 minutes ago, TailingsPond said:

I wish they did tunnel / shaft / underground mining for coal around here. Coal around here is gross open pit mines that produce huge amounts of dust pollution even before any of the coal is burnt.

These guys just don't get it!

Wiki-Overburden_at_Opencut_Coal_Mine-1024x1021.jpg

COAL_IMG_1868 2.jpg

better to generate power without coal..........................

so simple these days

• Upvote 1

(edited)

11 minutes ago, notsonice said:

better to generate power without coal..........................

so simple these days

Our coal power plants were retrofitted to run off natural gas.  It is still a fossil fuel but much cleaner and we also have lots of it.

Sadly, IMO, we have some mines with metallurgical grade coal for the steel industry.  It is valuable, and useful, but I still hate it because of the pollution and the fact it is found near our most beautiful areas by the mountains.

Edited by TailingsPond

1 hour ago, notsonice said:

stack these stats against wind turbines Foot in the mouth

and tell me again coal mining is safer

Listing Of Selected Historic Mine Disasters

Coal Mines

2010 4/05 Upper Big Branch Mine-South, Performance Coal Company Raleigh County, Montcoal, West Virginia Ignition or Explosion of Gas or Dust 29
2007 8/06 Crandall Canyon Mine, Genwal Resources Inc. Emery County, Huntington, Utah Fall of Face or Rib 6
2006 5/20 Darby Mine No. 1, Kentucky Darby LLC Harlan County, Middlesboro, Kentucky Explosion 5
2006 1/02 Sago Mine, Anker West Virginia Mining Company Inc. Upshur County, Buckhannon, West Virginia Explosion 12
2001 9/23 No. 5 Mine, Jim Walter Resources, Inc. Tuscaloosa County, Brookwood, Alabama Explosion 13
1992 12/07 No. 3 Mine, Southmoutain Coal Co. Wise Co., Norton, Virginia Explosion 8
1989 9/13 William Station No. 9 Mine, Pyro Mining Co. Union Co., Wheatcroft, Kentucky Explosion 10
1986 2/06 Loveridge No. 22, Consolidation Coal Co. Marion Co., Fairview, West Virginia Suffocation (surface stockpile) 5
1984 12/19 Wilberg Mine, Emery Mining Corp. Emery Co., Orangeville, Utah Fire 27
1983 06/21 McClure No. 1 Mine, Clinchfield Coal Co. Dickinson Co., McClure, Virginia Explosion 7
1982 1/20 No. 1 Mine, RFH Coal Co. Floyd Co., Craynor, Kentucky Explosion 7
1981 12/08 No. 21 Mine, Grundy Mining Co. Marion Co., Whitwell, Tennessee Explosion 13
1981 12/07 No. 11 Mine, Adkins Coal Co. Knott Co., Kite, Kentucky Explosion 8
1981 4/15 Dutch Creek No. 1, Mid-Continent Resources, Inc. Pitkin Co., Redstone, Colorado Explosion 15
1980 11/07 Ferrell No. 17, Westmorland Coal Co. Boone Co., Uneeda, West Virginia Explosion 5
1978 4/04 Moss No.3 Portal A, Clinchfield Coal Co. Dickinson Co., Duty, Virginia Suffocation (oxygen deficient air) 5
1977 03/01 Porter Tunnel, Kocher Coal Co. Schuykill Co., Tower City, Pennsylvania Flood 9
1976 3/9-11 Scotia Mine, Blue Diamond Coal Co. Letcher Co., Oven Fork, Kentucky Explosion 26
1972 12/16 Itmann No. 3 Mine, Itmann Coal Co. Wyoming Co., Itmann, West Virginia Explosion 5
1972 07/22 Blacksville No. 1, Consolidation Coal Co. Monongalia Co., Blacksville, West Virginia Fire 9
1970 12/30 Nos. 15 and 16 Mines, Finley Coal Co. Leslie Co., Hyden, Kentucky Explosion 38

The six worst coal mine disasters, since 1940

1968 11/20 Consol No. 9 Farmington, West Virginia Explosion 78
1951 12/21 Orient No. 2 West Frankfort, Illinois Explosion 119
1947 3/25 Centralia No. 5 Centralia, Illinois Explosion 111
1943 3/16 Smith Mine Washoe, Montana Explosion 74
1940 3/16 Willow Grove No. 10 St. Clairsville, Ohio Explosion 72
1940 1/10 Pond Creek No. 1 Bartley, West Virginia Explosion 91

The three worst coal mine disasters in U.S. history

1913 10/22 Stag Canon No. 2 Dawson, New Mexico Explosion 263
1909 11/13 Cherry Mine Cherry, Illinois Fire 259
1907 12/06 Monongah Nos. 6 and 8 Monongah, West Virginia Explosion 362

Metal And Nonmetal (Non-Coal) Mines

1979 06/08 Belle Isle Mine, Cargill, Inc. (salt) St. Mary Parish, Franklin, Louisiana Explosion 5
1972 05/02 Sunshine Mine, Sushine Mining Co. (silver) Shoshone Co., Kellogg, Idaho Fire 91
1971 04/12 Barnett Complex, Ozark-Mahoning Co. (fluorspar) Pope Co., Rosiclair, Illinois Hydrogen sulfide gas 7

The five worst metal and nonmetal mine disasters, since 1940

1968 03/06 Belle Isle Mine (salt) Franklin, Louisiana Fire 21
1963 08/28 Cane Creek Mine (potash) Moab, Utah Explosion 18
1943 01/05 Boyd Mine (copper) Ducktown, Tennessee Explosion 9
1942 03/26 Sandts Eddy Quarry (limestone) Allentown, Pennsylvania Explosion (surface) 31

The three worst metal and nonmetal mine disasters in U.S. history

1926 11/03 Barnes Hecker Mine (iron) Ishpeming, Michigan Flood 51
1917 06/08 Granite Mountain Shaft (copper) Butte, Montana Fire 163

There are also deaths directly linked to coal mining but dont actually happen in the mine.

In 1966  in Aberfan in Wales a colliery spoil tip collapsed and covered a local school killing 116 children

Aberfan disaster - Wikipedia

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Rob Plant said:

There are also deaths directly linked to coal mining but dont actually happen in the mine.

In 1966  in Aberfan in Wales a colliery spoil tip collapsed and covered a local school killing 116 children

Aberfan disaster - Wikipedia

I would like that post but it is too harsh. :(

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, TailingsPond said:

I would like that post but it is too harsh. :(

One of the biggest man made disasters in UK history!

https://dailycaller.com/2024/03/06/david-blackmon-the-terrible-news-for-electric-vehicles-keeps-rolling-in/

The Terrible News For Electric Vehicles Keeps Rolling In

The troubling information related to electric vehicles continues to mount as automakers around the western world grow increasingly worried about a tepid market response and whether the fountain of debt-funded government subsidies can keep flowing long enough to allow their products to grow to societal scale.

If the rash of new negative stories over just the past week is any indication, U.S. and European carmakers have good reason to worry.

First, there was an announcement from the British automobile company Aston Martin–whose cars have become legendary due in part to their 61-year association with the James Bond film franchise–that it will delay the introduction of its initial electric model until at least 2026. Speaking to journalists, Executive Chairman Lawrence Stroll said the decision was mainly attributable to the same falling demand in the U.K. which has also characterized the U.S. market over the last year.

“The consumer demand (for BEVs), certainly at an Aston Martin price point, is not what we thought it was going to be two years ago,” Stroll said.

“What we are feeling,” he said, “is there are people that still want some electrification to drive around the city for five, or 10, or 15 miles but still have the sports car smell and feel and noise when you get onto the auto routes.”

Aston Martin customers, however, can still experience that sports car “smell and feel and noise” by purchasing the company’s highly successful line of hybrid cars, which Stroll said would remain the mainstay of its low-emission vehicle fleet. To consumers, this makes all the sense in the world, though we can be sure the climate-alarm community will be furious.

Next up was another story out of the U.K., this one detailing a major recall of almost 2,000 battery electric buses ordered by government regulators. The Daily Mail described the recall of Alexander Dennis Enviro200 and Enviro400 single- and double-decker buses that are in widespread use in cities like London and Manchester as “Britain’s ticking time bomb.” That seems appropriate since the recall was ordered over concerns that the China-made batteries used in the buses could spontaneously combust when left unattended.

A spokesperson for Alexander Dennis told MailOnline that the company was working on the problem but did not yet have a solution in-hand. Given that London alone has almost 500 of the buses – which cost around $450,000 apiece – in use, any long delay could become highly problematic for city commuters and tourists who use them.

As if all this news weren’t damaging enough to the EV image, the Wall Street Journal ran a March 3 story on a new study that found that electric cars emit significantly more particulate matter than do newer-model gas-powered cars, which are equipped with particulate filters.

California’s government bases its aggressive ban on purchasing new gas-powered cars by 2035 in large part on a claim that moving to EVs will help it cut particulate emissions. The problem with this claim is that gas-powered cars currently account for just 1% of all fine particulate matter in the state, and that the modern particulate filters cut emissions to below 1/1,000th of a gram per mile driven.

Recent studies by Emissions Analytics find that, “comparing real-world tailpipe particulate mass emissions to tire wear emissions, both in ‘normal’ driving, the latter is actually around 1,850 times greater than the former.” This is a big problem for EVs due to their far higher weight than comparable gas-powered models. This added weight causes their tires to wear much more quickly, significantly increasing their per-unit rate of particulate emissions.

Mind you, we are talking about real pollution of the air and water here, not microscopic increases in the human contributions to the amount of atmospheric carbon dioxide, literal plant food which forms the very basis for all life on Planet Earth. Governments all over the world spent decades invoking laws and regulations designed to remove these particulate emissions due to their measurable and clearly identifiable health impacts.

What an amazing unintended consequence it would be if those decades of extraordinary success in cutting real pollution were to be reversed by the globalist obsession over plant food.

David Blackmon is an energy writer and consultant based in Texas. He spent 40 years in the oil and gas business, where he specialized in public policy and communications.

The views and opinions express in this commentary are those of the author and do not reflect the official position of the Daily Caller News Foundation.

• Haha 1

(edited)

4 hours ago, Ron Wagner said:

David Blackmon is an energy writer and consultant based in Texas. He spent 40 years in the oil and gas business, where he specialized in public policy and communications.

Energy writer with 40 years in the Texas oil and gas industry says bad things about electric vehicles you say. 

Are you really so gullible to not realize this is biased garbage?

Even the news source distanced themselves from this crap.

"The views and opinions express in this commentary are those of the author and do not reflect the official position of the Daily Caller News Foundation."

Edited by TailingsPond
  • Upvote 1

On 3/8/2024 at 5:30 PM, Ron Wagner said:

https://dailycaller.com/2024/03/06/david-blackmon-the-terrible-news-for-electric-vehicles-keeps-rolling-in/

The Terrible News For Electric Vehicles Keeps Rolling In

The troubling information related to electric vehicles continues to mount as automakers around the western world grow increasingly worried about a tepid market response and whether the fountain of debt-funded government subsidies can keep flowing long enough to allow their products to grow to societal scale.

If the rash of new negative stories over just the past week is any indication, U.S. and European carmakers have good reason to worry.

First, there was an announcement from the British automobile company Aston Martin–whose cars have become legendary due in part to their 61-year association with the James Bond film franchise–that it will delay the introduction of its initial electric model until at least 2026. Speaking to journalists, Executive Chairman Lawrence Stroll said the decision was mainly attributable to the same falling demand in the U.K. which has also characterized the U.S. market over the last year.

“The consumer demand (for BEVs), certainly at an Aston Martin price point, is not what we thought it was going to be two years ago,” Stroll said.

“What we are feeling,” he said, “is there are people that still want some electrification to drive around the city for five, or 10, or 15 miles but still have the sports car smell and feel and noise when you get onto the auto routes.”

Aston Martin customers, however, can still experience that sports car “smell and feel and noise” by purchasing the company’s highly successful line of hybrid cars, which Stroll said would remain the mainstay of its low-emission vehicle fleet. To consumers, this makes all the sense in the world, though we can be sure the climate-alarm community will be furious.

Next up was another story out of the U.K., this one detailing a major recall of almost 2,000 battery electric buses ordered by government regulators. The Daily Mail described the recall of Alexander Dennis Enviro200 and Enviro400 single- and double-decker buses that are in widespread use in cities like London and Manchester as “Britain’s ticking time bomb.” That seems appropriate since the recall was ordered over concerns that the China-made batteries used in the buses could spontaneously combust when left unattended.

A spokesperson for Alexander Dennis told MailOnline that the company was working on the problem but did not yet have a solution in-hand. Given that London alone has almost 500 of the buses – which cost around $450,000 apiece – in use, any long delay could become highly problematic for city commuters and tourists who use them.

As if all this news weren’t damaging enough to the EV image, the Wall Street Journal ran a March 3 story on a new study that found that electric cars emit significantly more particulate matter than do newer-model gas-powered cars, which are equipped with particulate filters.

California’s government bases its aggressive ban on purchasing new gas-powered cars by 2035 in large part on a claim that moving to EVs will help it cut particulate emissions. The problem with this claim is that gas-powered cars currently account for just 1% of all fine particulate matter in the state, and that the modern particulate filters cut emissions to below 1/1,000th of a gram per mile driven.

Recent studies by Emissions Analytics find that, “comparing real-world tailpipe particulate mass emissions to tire wear emissions, both in ‘normal’ driving, the latter is actually around 1,850 times greater than the former.” This is a big problem for EVs due to their far higher weight than comparable gas-powered models. This added weight causes their tires to wear much more quickly, significantly increasing their per-unit rate of particulate emissions.

Mind you, we are talking about real pollution of the air and water here, not microscopic increases in the human contributions to the amount of atmospheric carbon dioxide, literal plant food which forms the very basis for all life on Planet Earth. Governments all over the world spent decades invoking laws and regulations designed to remove these particulate emissions due to their measurable and clearly identifiable health impacts.

What an amazing unintended consequence it would be if those decades of extraordinary success in cutting real pollution were to be reversed by the globalist obsession over plant food.

The views and opinions express in this commentary are those of the author and do not reflect the official position of the Daily Caller News Foundation.

Oh dear Ron I thought you were wordly wise! This is just nonsense from a guy with an agenda.

Gartner Research: EVs Will Be Cheaper To Produce Than ICE Vehicles In 3 Years

Gartner Research: EVs Will Be Cheaper To Produce Than ICE Vehicles In 3 Years | OilPrice.com

The question is whether or not the West will allow the exports without large tariffs.

Mexico may be producing and or assembling Chinese cars with the intent of selling to America, Canada, South America, etc. Personally, I don't think we should encourage Mexico or China,  given China's geopolitical  intentions and overall behavior. We would be harming our own car producers and our allies producers. That said, I would love to see low price cars, electric or ICE, available. 

What do others think?

14 hours ago, Ron Wagner said:

The question is whether or not the West will allow the exports without large tariffs.

Mexico may be producing and or assembling Chinese cars with the intent of selling to America, Canada, South America, etc. Personally, I don't think we should encourage Mexico or China,  given China's geopolitical  intentions and overall behavior. We would be harming our own car producers and our allies producers. That said, I would love to see low price cars, electric or ICE, available. 

What do others think?

Ron I know the US has tariffs on steel etc to avoid China dumping cheap steel and wrecking your home industry.

I agree that there will be a degree of protectionism but I'm not a big fan of that to be honest, I prefer a free market.

If Byd can produce cheap EV's in Mexico that are cost competitive and they benefit US society then why not? However I think you'll have GM, Ford etc lobbying the house for a levy of some kind.

'U.S. EV sales were a record 1.2 million units last year, representing 7.6% of the overall national market, Cox Automotive estimates. That share is expected to increase to between 30% and 39% by the end of the decade, according to analyst forecasts.'  (cnbc)

On 3/7/2024 at 2:29 AM, notsonice said:

what planet are you from

You obviously have never worked in an underground coal mine.......any mining experience?????

easy shit shooting the face in a coal mine????????

easy work pulling pillars????

easy work bolting????

easy work putting in roof support in areas of bad roof?????

Easy work setting timbers?????

Easy work moving a long wall

Easy work running LHD???

Easy work advancing a section?????

Easy work setting cribs

and I bet you never ever worked 

on a tunneling project

or shaft sinking

or on a belt line

or in a prep plant

or anything related to mining

How the F do you think the coal gets removed from the face and gets to the loadout??????? guys with picks and donkeys??????

You would not last more than 30 minutes underground.... a little bump  and you would shit your pants.......

my personal experiences of co workers losing the lifes around heavy machinery in a coal mine   ...yeah and all these guy were safety conscious 

Friend was cut in half on the conveyor line at the drive....heavy machinery

coworkers (mechanic) head was popped off on the Longwall...super heavy machinery

Supervisor died of a heart attack fighting a fire in an advancing section. The fire was  started by the continuous miner (heavy machinery) hitting a bleeder...try putting out a gas bleeder with nothing but coal surrounding you and praying you do not trigger a bump and POOOOOOOOOF everyone is gone

all of these deaths happened in just 4 years in one mine

here is typical equipment used to cut the coal

image.jpeg.ac3b9866286cf3262670dbeebfd07a54.jpeg

image.jpeg.2dcf6d3a9d74adcefe7cbba017cfd0ec.jpeg

Yet coal miners valued their jobs, were proud of their work, made a decent income and were ruined economically because of people who wanted to destroy their industry and way of life. Existing coal miners are doing fine. 

• Downvote 1

(edited)

Slowly the reality is being exposed, aside from that...quickly now go get your EV while supplies last!

EV euphoria is dead. Automakers are scaling back or delaying their electric vehicle plans

EY POINTS
  • Automakers from Ford Motor and General Motors to Mercedes-Benz, Volkswagen, Jaguar Land Rover and Aston Martin are scaling back or delaying their electric vehicle plans.
  • Though consumer demand for EVs hasn’t shown up in the way executives had expected, sales of the vehicles are still predicted to increase in the years to come.
  • A broad return to a more mixed offering of vehicles — with lineups of gas-powered vehicles alongside hybrids and fully electric options — assumes an all-electric future at a much slower pace, and it calls attention to ambitious EV targets set for the years ahead.

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/03/13/ev-euphoria-is-dead-automakers-trumpet-consumer-choice-in-us.html

Edited by Eyes Wide Open

12 hours ago, Eyes Wide Open said:

sales of the vehicles are still predicted to increase in the years to come.

From your own post!

You should inform Eco of this as he doesnt seem to think so.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Rob Plant said:

From your own post!

You should inform Eco of this as he doesnt seem to think so.

Mr. Plant...just how does the press disclose the largest boondoggle in US history. 

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Eyes Wide Open said:

Mr. Plant...just how does the press disclose the largest boondoggle in US history. 

Too funny, you ask how the press disclose - the press.

Largest boondoggle in US history, nice try.  The subprime mortgage crisis was pretty epic.   

(edited)

11 hours ago, TailingsPond said:

Too funny, you ask how the press disclose - the press

Another debacle in the making...

CEO steps down after being hit with expensive EV repairs and low resale prices following purchase of 100,000 Teslas

By December, Hertz started selling off 20,000 electric vehicles, or about a third of its EV fleet. Germany’s Sixt SE — a leading car-renter in Europe — is taking even more drastic measures, phasing Teslas out of its fleet entirely.

Hertz announced its EV sell-down plans in January, citing lackluster demand, costly depreciation and expensive repairs. The Estero, Florida-based company took a $245 million charge and reported its biggest quarterly loss since the pandemic.

https://fortune.com/2024/03/15/ceo-steps-down-prices-following-purchase-teslas/

Edited by Eyes Wide Open
  • Downvote 1

(edited)

10 minutes ago, Eyes Wide Open said:

Too funny, you ask how the press disclose - the press

Ya Don't Say...

Sixt to Phase Out Teslas From Rental Car Fleet on Poor Resale Value

Higher repair costs for electric cars compared to combustion vehicles are compounding the issues with lower resale values, Sixt said in an email to customers seen by Bloomberg News. The company still plans to electrify as much as 90% of its fleet in Europe by the end of the decade, according to a spokesperson.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-12-01/sixt-to-drop-teslas-from-rental-car-fleet-on-poor-resale-value

Edited by Eyes Wide Open

(edited)

5 hours ago, Eyes Wide Open said:

Another debacle in the making...

Why did you reply to me with that? 

I just pointed out that the press discloses things via the press, it's really funny when you write stuff like this:

"Mr. Plant...just how does the press disclose the largest boondoggle in US history."

You don't have to reply to me with every piece of trash you find on the web.

Edited by TailingsPond