Tom Kirkman

UN Report Suggests USD $240 Per Gallon Gasoline Tax to Fight Global Warming

< *facepalm* >

A $240 Per Gallon Gas Tax to Fight Global Warming? New UN Report Suggests Carbon Pricing

A United Nations special climate report suggests a tax on carbon dioxide emissions would need to be as high as $27,000 per ton at the end of the century to effectively limit global warming.

For Americans, that’s the same as a $240 per gallon tax on gasoline in the year 2100, should such a recommendation be adopted. In 2030, the report says a carbon tax would need to be as high as $5,500 — that’s equivalent to a $49 per gallon gas tax.

... The IPCC’s report is meant to galvanize political support for doubling down on the Paris climate accord ahead of a U.N. climate summit scheduled for December. The report calls for societal changes that are “unprecedented in terms of scale” in order to limit future global warming to below 1.5 degrees Celsius, the stretch goal of the Paris accord.

resolved-question-show-me-another-i-have-a-plan-to-4255893.png.f8ae59d0ce719824bb459c641a668af8.png

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

This confirms my worst suspicion:  Putin controls the UN!  Just surrender everyone, the battle and the war are lost.

Seriously, these people actually think this is how you sell it?  The only thing this does is make normally sane people throw up their hands and say "Aw, fuck it then!  We're all screwed, so LAGNAF!!!".

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

ZOMG PANIC !!!

Terrifying climate change warning: 12 years until we’re doomed

If nothing is done, Earth can expect temperatures to rise by 3 degrees Celsius, more frequent or extreme droughts, an increase in deadly hurricanes and as much as 90 percent of coral reefs dying off — including the Great Barrier Reef in Australia, according to the report.

Countries in the Southern Hemisphere would see the most drastic effects.

“The next few years are probably the most important in human history,” IPCC co-chair Debra Roberts, head of the Environmental Planning and Climate Protection Department in South Africa, told Agence France-Presse.

Efforts to curb climate change must also extend beyond the 2015 Paris Agreement reached among 197 countries — which President Trump withdrew the US from in June 2017.

“The window on keeping global warming below 1.5 degrees C is closing rapidly and the current emissions pledges made by signatories to the Paris Agreement do not add up to us achieving that goal,” said King.

8 minutes ago, Tom Kirkman said:

ZOMG PANIC !!!

Terrifying climate change warning: 12 years until we’re doomed

If nothing is done, Earth can expect temperatures to rise by 3 degrees Celsius, more frequent or extreme droughts, an increase in deadly hurricanes and as much as 90 percent of coral reefs dying off — including the Great Barrier Reef in Australia, according to the report.

Countries in the Southern Hemisphere would see the most drastic effects.

“The next few years are probably the most important in human history,” IPCC co-chair Debra Roberts, head of the Environmental Planning and Climate Protection Department in South Africa, told Agence France-Presse.

Efforts to curb climate change must also extend beyond the 2015 Paris Agreement reached among 197 countries — which President Trump withdrew the US from in June 2017.

“The window on keeping global warming below 1.5 degrees C is closing rapidly and the current emissions pledges made by signatories to the Paris Agreement do not add up to us achieving that goal,” said King.

Well, the high temperature today here in Thailand is forecast to be 93F and in Illinois it was 86F, so as usual the 3rd world gets hit first.  See you guys......

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Dan Warnick said:

This confirms my worst suspicion:  Putin controls the UN!  Just surrender everyone, the battle and the war are lost.

Seriously, these people actually think this is how you sell it?  The only thing this does is make normally sane people throw up their hands and say "Aw, fuck it then!  We're all screwed, so LAGNAF!!!".

All this makes me want to do is buy a bunker

57 minutes ago, TraderTate said:

You could always try relocating to East Germany.  I hear there are a few left over, you could pick up an abandoned one and do a re-hab, should be cheap enough!

• Like 1

Looks like my high-speed electric bicycle business is about to take off........

And people will go back to heating with dried cow dung......

And all roads will go back to dirt, as asphalt will get far too expensive for any municipality......

Yup, that extra $240/gallon also will apply to road asphalt......

• Like 4

Guess the shipping industry will be screwed too.  And the railroad industry.  And the airline industry.

• Like 3

This is exactly what needs to be done to move things along in the renewable direction, people. Who'd drive stinky gasoline cars when a gallon costs however much it will cost with that tax, eh? Brilliant, simply brilliant. So, there'll be some side effects, so what? It's for the good of the planet! Back to nature, right? There you have it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Will there be a campfire tax?  And I always thought it was romantic how those hobo guys travelled around.  Looks like I'll finally get my chance!

• Like 2

This is no joke. The sooner we begin taking serious actions, such as adopting a carbon tax, the cheaper it will be.  If we are foolish enough to wait until 2030, the cost will be very high.  As they say about maintaining your car, “you can pay me now, or you can pay me later.”  It is just that it will be our kids and grandkids that will be paying the cost for our foolishness, one way or the other.

Time for Al Gore to make an appearance again as he flies in on his private jet and 10 limousine fleet. 

Maybe if China and India stopped burning coal for everything, things would improve.  Europe and North America will not like it when NatGas prices start to climb as all this LNG (and by implication, glut of stranded gas) moves to Asia over the next decade.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, TraderTate said:

I would invest in a floating "bunker" so you will always be above the rising seas 🤣

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Dan Warnick said:

Will there be a campfire tax?  And I always thought it was romantic how those hobo guys travelled around.  Looks like I'll finally get my chance!

Breathing tax? since all the people on this planet exhale CO2, tax everyone a carbon tax for each breath!!🤣🤑

• Like 3

Lets all start going back to the cave-man era(well to be PC, I should say Cave-Person) . No smart phones, no electric cars, no flying, no goods from China or anywhere else. Give up modern lives, get back to hunter gatherer , let the life expectancy drop down to 20 years at best without advanced healthcare and med tech. Atleast there will be no more Hollywood hacks pushing any more agenda's

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Marina Schwarz said:

This is exactly what needs to be done to move things along in the renewable direction, people. Who'd drive stinky gasoline cars when a gallon costs however much it will cost with that tax, eh? Brilliant, simply brilliant. So, there'll be some side effects, so what? It's for the good of the planet! Back to nature, right? There you have it.

I love the smell of gasoline in the air in the morning, dont you? LOL... side effects more along the lines of life style altering shock

6 hours ago, Cobra67 said:

Time for Al Gore to make an appearance again as he flies in on his private jet and 10 limousine fleet. 

desktop-1423766365.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ceo_energemsier said:

Breathing tax? since all the people on this planet exhale CO2, tax everyone a carbon tax for each breath!!🤣 🤑

Please don't give the EU or the UN ideas about how to tax people more...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Dan Warnick said:

Well, the high temperature today here in Thailand is forecast to be 93F and in Illinois it was 86F, so as usual the 3rd world gets hit first.  See you guys......

And it is 38F here with a mix of rain and snow

• Like 1

Just now, Tom Kirkman said:

Please don't give the EU or the UN ideas about how to tax people more...

I dont know if you remember , under the Great Community Organizer's leadership, there was a movement (bowel?) in CA by so called scientists to create activated charcoal devices to be attached to the rear ends of cattle because of their methane emissions.. but what about the front end?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Tom Kirkman said:

desktop-1423766365.jpg

Werent we all supposed to have been frozen to death by the "new ice age" in the 70s or 80s?

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, ceo_energemsier said:

Werent we all supposed to have been frozen to death by the "new ice age" in the 70s or 80s?

screenhunter_1038-feb-11-18-32.gif

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tom Kirkman said:

screenhunter_1038-feb-11-18-32.gif

How does Clint Eastwood feel about that Torino?

• Like 1

Oh brother, the UN needs to be thrown into the rag pile along with the League of Nations.  Follow the money and point to the US.  They are a bunch of bullies from countries that are generally run by dictators, human rights abusers and have no economies.  They need to be defunded and kicked out of the US

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2