"The late physicist and author Prof Stephen Hawking has caused controversy by suggesting a new race of superhumans could develop from wealthy people choosing to edit their and their children’s DNA. Hawking, the author of A Brief History of Time, who died in March, made the predictions in a collection of articles and essays." Here. I apologize it's from The Guardian.

“I am sure that during this century, people will discover how to modify both intelligence and instincts such as aggression,” he wrote."

And I'm happy I'll most probably die before this happens.

• Like 1

but with any luck, they'll all be hiding away in their fancy new bunkers (in New Zealand) awaiting the end of the world in style, so maybe we won't even notice. 

• Like 1

People normally laugh when I say my sons generation will probably be functionally immortal, although of course death catches up with everyone. The rate of technological advance is staggering, what people of our generations have seen will to my son seem like a long and slow development. AI and machine learning are changing this development curve, crunching data seeing connections we could never. Medicine is about to go through a massive disruption (as many industries will), it's probably to late for us, maybe our last years may have a better quality. The Mars trilogy although somewhat dated now is a good read to get an idea of some of the issues.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, TraderTate said:

but with any luck, they'll all be hiding away in their fancy new bunkers (in New Zealand) awaiting the end of the world in style, so maybe we won't even notice. 

I like that. Release the zombies!