Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JG

Whose economy would suffer most if embargo on KSA oil?

(edited)

I’m trying to make sense of this KSA situation as I find it hard to believe (but not completely implausible) that people could be so sloppy. For folks better versed in geopolitics and economics than myself, if the US did put sanctions on Saudi and the retaliated by embargoing their oil, both short-term and long-term how would each of the following economies be affected?

1. USA

2. Russia

3. China

4. KSA

Thanks! 

Edited by Anonymous1

Both sides like to talk about playing this oil game. Plenty of notions that KSA could restrict oil supply, which arise because Trump has been lobbying them to produce more to offset loss of oil on the market from Iran. It seems silly to threaten to embargo the oil of country that is letting others leak the notion of restricting oil supply. It's also one thing to sanction Iran, and quite another to sanction Saudi Arabia, and quite another still to sanction both simultaneously. The KSA certainly would be harmed in such a situation, though it has immense borrowing power. From the U.S. position, actually embargoing oil is about as likely as the Crown Prince giving up his palace(s) to live in a trailer park. Sanctions would take a different form, a la Russian sanctions under the Magnitsky Act. Overall, I believe China imports the most (total Saudi exports, not just crude) from Saudi Arabia. You also have to consider that China would not likely bow to any such US-led sanctions. The biggest beneficiary would be Russia, which is presently making rather solid gains in terms of gaining influence in the Middle East.  

• Upvote 1