ML

EVs way more expensive to drive

This is an excerpt from an article in iSee cars where they have crunched the numbers. The article strongly suggests that Hybrids will eventually dominate the market which makes way more sense than EVs.

Highlights: 

• Electric cars are driven 20 percent less than gasoline cars; combined with their higher prices they cost 63.6 percent more for every 1,000 miles driven per year
  • Hybrids and plug-in hybrids are also driven less than gasoline models, but only by 2.7 and 4.8 percent, respectively, making their cost-per-1,000 miles per year much closer
  • The average electric car costs $5,108 for every 1,000 miles per year it’s driven compared to $3,056 for a hybrid car, $3,123 for a gasoline car, and $4,351 for a plug-in hybrid
  • The Porsche Taycan EV is the most expensive alternative-fuel car to drive, costing over $22,000 for every 1,000 miles it’s driven per year, followed by the Porsche Cayenne plug-in hybrid at $14,681 and the Tesla Model S at $11,623
  • The Honda Insight Hybrid is the least expensive alternative fuel car to drive, costing $1,463 per 1,000 miles per year, followed by the Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid at $1,813 and Toyota Corolla Hybrid at $1,857

When comparing how people use gasoline, hybrid, and electric vehicles, 3-year-old gas cars are driven 12,813 miles a year while EVs are driven 20 percent less, or 10,256 miles. Plug-in hybrids are driven 12,199 miles, or 4.8 percent less than gasoline cars, while standard hybrids are driven 12,471 miles, or 2.7 percent less than gasoline models.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

(edited)

Less driving is a good thing.

The same people who buy EV's are probably also more likely to walk or ride a bicycle.  It does not mean the cars are less useful.

Fat, old, outdated, fossil fuelled humans insist on driving everywhere.  Funny thing is many will end up in a powered wheelchair - which is an EV.

Edited by TailingsPond
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, TailingsPond said:

The same people who buy EV's are probably also more likely to walk or ride a bicycle.  It does not mean the cars are less useful.

Fat, old, outdated, fossil fuelled humans insist on driving everywhere.  Funny thing is many will end up in a powered wheelchair - which is an EV.

I agree. However, the post destroys the myth that EVs are somehow cheaper to run than petrol cars. They clearly aren't.

• Upvote 1

On 5/6/2024 at 8:08 PM, markslawson said:

When comparing how people use gasoline, hybrid, and electric vehicles, 3-year-old gas cars are driven 12,813 miles a year while EVs are driven 20 percent less, or 10,256 miles. Plug-in hybrids are driven 12,199 miles, or 4.8 percent less than gasoline cars, while standard hybrids are driven 12,471 miles, or 2.7 percent less than gasoline models.

A clear indication that EVs increasing would mean less transportation services...embrace poverty, folks.

• Rolling Eye 1

27 minutes ago, Ecocharger said:

A clear indication that EVs increasing would mean less transportation services...embrace poverty, folks.

No, it is an indication EV owners use their cars less.

Using alternative forms of transportation, be it walking, bicycling, or public transportation can save you money and improve your health.

"Embrace poverty" from driving less?  Using that faulty logic one could get rich just by driving more when in reality diving is an expense. 

Furthermore, the people who buy EVs are generally better educated, make more money, and have more remote work arrangements that do not require them to use their personal vehicles.

Lastly, many very rich people do not drive at all. It is very common in New York to not own a car.  As usual your "logic" is junk.

When the EV’s for the masses is produced and the 10 min charge infrastructure is deployed everything changes. It’s still the affluent consumers toy with already semi obsolete charging infrastructure. 

3 hours ago, Ecocharger said:

so you are saying that those who drive less are embracing poverty?????????

I guess this is true if you are homeless and do not own a clunker.......it would fit your  less transportation services...embrace poverty babble

and if your only source of income is from Uber or Lyft that the more you drive the more money you earn. 

Otherwise driving more costs more money and would decrease your money in the bank

I drive less than 4,000 miles a year........so by your metrics I am only driving 1/3 the mileage of an average car owner????

This would mean I am in dire poverty............huh

and by driving an EV or a plug in hybrid one embraces poverty?????????

A clear indication that EVs increasing would mean less transportation services...embrace poverty, folks.?????

thanks for your BS babble

What next????? windmills cause cancer??????

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Ecocharger said:

There is anecdotal evidence that EVs are frequently a second or third car bought more so that the owner can gain environmental kudos rather than through any real interest in driving it. Hence the difference in the mileage... There are genuine EV buyers as well, trouble is that EV makers are running out of rich greenies... 

2 hours ago, markslawson said:

There is anecdotal evidence that EVs are frequently a second or third car bought more so that the owner can gain environmental kudos rather than through any real interest in driving it. Hence the difference in the mileage... There are genuine EV buyers as well, trouble is that EV makers are running out of rich greenies... 

The EV makers figured out how to make them cheap; now the major hold back to the average consumer will be the huge tariffs.

100% WTF?

• Great Response! 1

(edited)

There is anecdotal evidence that high-powered gas convertibles are bought more so that the owner can gain kudos than through any real interest in driving it.   The convertible is less comfortable to drive...

Edited by TailingsPond

On 9/18/2024 at 2:53 PM, TailingsPond said:

The EV makers figured out how to make them cheap; now the major hold back to the average consumer will be the huge tariffs.

100% WTF?

On 9/18/2024 at 2:58 PM, TailingsPond said:

here is anecdotal evidence that high-powered gas convertibles are bought more so that the owner can gain kudos than through any real interest in driving it.   The convertible is less comfortable to drive..

It is not evident at all that EVs have any mass appeal. The market is, as I said before, mainly second or third cars for the rich ... anyway, rather than continues to go in circles, particularly as I don't understand your second post, I'll leave it with you 

The market is, as I said before, mainly second or third cars for the rich ... anyway, rather than continues to go in circles, particularly as I don't understand your second post, I'll leave it with you 

My point was that plenty of people have second or third vehicles that are mostly playthings and not used much.  Lots of sports cars / motorbikes sit in garages for much of the year, yet you don't argue that those vehicles lack mass appeal because they run off gasoline.

It's like you think buying something for "environmental kudos" is dumb; but wasting money on a mid-life crisis, gas-guzzling status symbol is just fine. 

Thats because thats exactly what he thinks!

Talking of being "mainstream" or a "fad"

The below show the statistics for EV + hybrid purchases in the UK and people's thoughts about owning one that currently don't own one.

Electric Car Ownership and Charging Statistics | Barriers Direct

The percentages quoted seem to be pretty damn mainstream to me, but hey there's little point showing Mark facts now is there.

Electric Car Statistics – Updated September 2024 | heycar UK