Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
50 shades of black

Vicious Circle: European Politicians Call For New Sanctions On Russia Over Ukraine

Senior politicians from Germany, Austria, Poland and Estonia on Tuesday raised the possibility of new EU sanctions against Russia to punish it for capturing three Ukrainian vessels at sea, an incident the West fears could ignite wider conflict. Financial markets have responded to the prospect of new Western sanctions that could hurt Russia’s economy, though the rouble on Tuesday clawed back some losses from the previous day as investors bet any sanctions would not be swift. After Russia opened fire on and seized three Ukrainian naval vessels on Sunday near Russian-annexed Crimea, both Russia and Ukraine are trying to cast the other side as being in the wrong. President Vladimir Putin told German Chancellor Angela Merkel by phone on Monday that Moscow was ready to provide more details to bolster Russia’s version of events. Moscow says Ukraine deliberately provoked Russia to trigger a crisis. Ukraine, which on Monday night introduced martial law for 30 days in parts of the country it deems most vulnerable to an attack from Russia, said its ships did nothing wrong and that it wanted the West to impose new sanctions on Moscow. Some of the more than 20 Ukrainian sailors held by Russia for straying into Russian waters appeared on Russian state TV on Tuesday admitting to being part of a pre-planned provocation. Kiev denounced what it described as forced confessions. The Ukrainian sailors are expected to appear in a Russian court later on Tuesday. Their vessels were captured by Russian forces at sea near the Kerch Strait, which is the only outlet to the Sea of Azov and controls access to major Ukrainian ports.

• Like 1

That will that not change the situation for 'good or bad '? There's no single positive outcome from these sanctions for almost five years now. ..

And of course nothing will happen. It will be the UN once again blustering and in the end running to hide behind the drapes afraid of the big bad bear..

"It's about a time" ... but EU is just going into the winter and depends of Russia gas..So, guys you're late five years, this is hypocrisy, and dirty game with Ukraine independence....Indeed, this is a real face of EU

Reaction after action? In my view and with my knowledge, proactive approach ( the only answer for every possible situation) always disappears on the half way between Brussels and Bonn, or Paris...City name is not crucial, it could be Rome-but result is always the same. Big nothing.

(edited)

Putin in Munich speech 11 years ago said it very clearly that Ukraine and Georgia is red line.

Its matter of national security and no sane russian leader can allow Ukraine to join NATO. Even Navalny if he wants to stay in power.

If some western strategist really thought that Russia will allow to place NATO  base in Crimean penisula or in eastern Ukraine something like 400 kilometers from Moscow he is mad or warmonger. 

Its totally unacceptable for Russia even if some liberal force like Navalny  will come to power.

Kissinger a couple years ago said thats only option is neutral status and federalization and I agree with him.

Its such divided country thats only option imho or partition of Ukraine on western Ukraine and eastern Ukraine where a significant % of population are native Russians. Or there will be eternal fight between Western and Eastern  Ukraine that are in fact 2 completely other regions. 

PS

You can of course discuss more sanctions but as I said its matter of national security. And I can assure you Putin is quite  moderate in comparison with possible alternatives. 

Edited by Tomasz
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Petar said:

That will that not change the situation for 'good or bad '? There's no single positive outcome from these sanctions for almost five years now. ..

Definitely not positive for Russia. Positive for the West. 

(edited)

11 hours ago, Tomasz said:

Putin in Munich speech 11 years ago said it very clearly that Ukraine and Georgia is red line.

Its matter of national security and no sane russian leader can allow Ukraine to join NATO. Even Navalny if he wants to stay in power.

If some western strategist really thought that Russia will allow to place NATO  base in Crimean penisula or in eastern Ukraine something like 400 kilometers from Moscow he is mad or warmonger. 

Its totally unacceptable for Russia even if some liberal force like Navalny  will come to power.

Kissinger a couple years ago said thats only option is neutral status and federalization and I agree with him.

Its such divided country thats only option imho or partition of Ukraine on western Ukraine and eastern Ukraine where a significant % of population are native Russians. Or there will be eternal fight between Western and Eastern  Ukraine that are in fact 2 completely other regions. 

PS

You can of course discuss more sanctions but as I said its matter of national security. And I can assure you Putin is quite  moderate in comparison with possible alternatives. 

Russia will continue to be obstinate because it has no other way of showing any power to the world. Meanwhile, it is making enemies throughout the world and its economy will be stagnant as its people try to flee to other countries. Russia is an oligarchy led by Putin. The Russian people are the losers because of these poor leaders. Navalny is now in jail again. Putin has had many journalists killed but our press seems to have forgotten. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_journalists_killed_in_Russia

More bad news for Russian exports in the future https://www.breitbart.com/middle-east/2018/11/25/new-8-billion-israel-europe-gas-pipeline-to-challenge-russia-arab-suppliers/

I wish the Russian people well. The current oligarchic leaders seem to have agendas that are largely detached from what is best for the Russian people, however. 

Edited by ronwagn
added reference