I've been reading tech predictions for this year and the star of the show seems to be AI. Not that it will reach human-level intelligence this year but some people expect big news from that area. And there's talk about combining AI with blockchain, which is where my brain stopped working for reasons of overheating.

I definitely agree: both about the stars of the show and the overheating brains ... Re AI, we need look no further than some of the best-performing stocks of the year. Two of my favorites are semiconductor stocks (Nvidia and Micron), which make semiconductors and benefit greatly from the AI surge and blockchain. 

Blockchain and AI coupling is inevitable and the next logical step, I think. Trying to simply, basically blockchain means the creation of entirely new marketplaces. It's more than disruptive in that respect. It means a completely new foundation for the market structure and it means a significant lowering of the costs of verification and networking for all transactions. If we add AI in to this mix, it gets even more explosive, because it could make it more efficient, and even cheaper (especially in terms of the energy used to mine cryptocurrency).