PP

Good Marriage And Bad Divorce: Germany's Merkel Wants Britain and EU To Divorce On Good Terms

On 1/23/2019 at 1:27 PM, Jan van Eck said:

Unfortunately, the British are not going to have a "nice divorce."  If that happens, then there is nothing to hold back the other unhappy partners in the EU, and I would include even the Dutch in that.  The thinking of the bureaucrats and main political leaders, specifically from Germany and France,  is that there is a specific price to pay for leaving.  That price is going to be painful. 

The Eurocrats will see to it that Britain's exports to the Eurozone will be taxed and tariffed, and will be forced to conform to Europe's  various Regulations - exactly what the British Brexiters insist will never happen, the Britain will not surrender its "sovereignty."  Those types of conflicts will make for hard feelings.  Meanwhile the British will continue to buy Japanese cars, possibly even shunning the Jaguar, now owned by Germans. With the collapse of British Leyland Britain does not have much of a car industry in any event, so even the most loyal British consumer runs out of choices.  Those big German cars, BMW, Mercedes, Audi, will take a hit.  However, some 50% of their sales are to the USA, so it is not as it they are going to get their Lederhosen into a big knot over it. 

Where Britain will take a hit is in shipbuilding and yacht-building.  I predict that business will move to France and Poland.  And I don't see British yards getting some exemption from tariffs for their heavy iron, the ferryboats and cargoliners.  Those big yards are going to get into trouble.  Oh, well. 

Your data about sales of luxury cars in US and elsewhere are a little bit old (they come from 2010).

BMW sell 2.5 times more cars in China ( 33% of global sales) than in US (13% of global sales)

BMW & MINI sales in the regions/markets

BMW Group sales in China were seven percent (7.4%) higher than the previous year, with a total of 777,379 BMW and MINI vehicles delivered to customers. This is the BMW Group’s best-ever annual sales result in China since entering the market in 1994.

The BMW Group sold a total of 306,870 units (-18.0%) in the US last year. In a challenging environment dominated by the coronavirus pandemic, the recovery in consumer demand, combined with close and efficient cooperation with dealers, delivered a strong fourth quarter.

They should tell that Nazi Merkel to quit getting in bed with Russia! 

(edited)

On 3/10/2021 at 7:40 PM, RichieRich216 said:

They should tell that Nazi Merkel to quit getting in bed with Russia! 

Yes in fact, now is the best time to do so.

We had an extremely cold winter and record gas consumptioin in Europe. As it came about, Europe was not saved by LNG supplies but by Gazprom's record-breaking gas exports. Sorry but thats simple reality.

All the more it was confirmed that Europe needs Nord Stream II during severe winters. Such a luck for the Russians and Gazprom that such a harsh winter has come as the game for the completion of Nord Stream II is underway.

Two are we now having a pandemic in all its "glory" in Europe.

Unfortunately the US  has imposed a total ban on the export of its vaccines to Europe untill it vacinates US citizens. The UK ally has radically limited the supply of Astra Zeneca to Europe.

The Germans have been sitting in the lockdown for a year and are really fed up with it.

There are also elections in Germany in autumn and Angela Merkel's party is drastically losing in the polls.

So this is where an old KGB officer appears on the scene  and offers Angela Merkel IMHO a very good deal for Germany  - we will give you the license and all the know-how for the production of the effective Sputnik-V vaccine and you, as the true powerful leader of Europe, will confirm the real power of the German state and industry  so you will inoculate the entire European Union with our vaccine. Good deal both for Russia and Germany.

Sorry colleagues, but  a pandemic ban on the export of vaccines to the Union and the gross violation of the agreements that the Union has already concluded with Astra Zeneca looks in my opinion really very bad and seriously challenges the Atlantic partnership in a crisis situation.

I do not disregard the behavior of the USA and Great Britain because this behavior is the most rational one and in the interest of its own citizens which should have highest priiority.

I can only say that unfortunately for Anglo-Saxons it is simply really very bad propaganda move at the moment.

And yes of course the Russians and the Chinese are pumping this propaganda argument to the maximum, unfortunately I think they would have to be extremely stupid not to take advantage of such wonderful crisis situation to the maximum.

Edited by Tomasz