I hear everyone's favourite greenie-slash-feminist has found himself in a bit of a pickle? Interesting. Here.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Marina Schwarz said:

I hear everyone's favourite greenie-slash-feminist has found himself in a bit of a pickle? Interesting. Here.

I thought you had already touched on this in another thread?  Or was it someone else?  Anyway there were a number of comments about Dear Justin and his current situation.  Jan dismissed them as normal Canadian politics that voters don't give a hoot about, etc.  Don't know if Jan's right, but I guess we'll see.

(edited)

9 hours ago, Dan Warnick said:

I thought you had already touched on this in another thread?  Or was it someone else?  Anyway there were a number of comments about Dear Justin and his current situation.  Jan dismissed them as normal Canadian politics that voters don't give a hoot about, etc.  Don't know if Jan's right, but I guess we'll see.

Canadians like to think of themselves as the Defenders of the True North, out there with a dogsled team mushing their way into the Yukon,  canoeing their way across the Great Slave Lake, flying bush planes to Churchill Port, that sort of thing.   In reality, Canada is a thin strip of population about 50 miles from the US Border, running in discontinuous urban areas, with lots of people working for the Government(s) and being civil servants the number one job choice out of college.  Their preoccupations are, in those grotesquely overpriced urban areas, including Vancouver and Toronto, how much pay do I need to have to make the mortgage payments on my modest house, that cost me $1.2 million?  Yup, Canada is in a huge property bubble, and Canadians are going upside-down the moment that bubble bursts.  And everyone expects it to.  So the anxiety level is way up there. 

Now, in that environment, do you seriously think that anybody cares about some Native  ("First Nation") woman from Vancouver Island, that big chunk of mostly empty rock island lying to sea from British Columbia, who got appointed to the Cabinet only because she was a Native?  And then what she says about Trudeau?  About some engineering outfit in Montreal that got a contract for doing construction in Libya?  I mean, who in Canada cares about Libya?  Any volunteers?  Nope.  Nobody cares.  They care about the house price they paid and how they are going to keep that roof over their heads.  Especially the working people, those that worked at GM Oshawa that is getting closed down and torn down. 

Nobody cares about SNC-Lavalin.  OK, the politicians in Quebec care, and the engineers who work there care, but the rest of Canada?  No chance. It is another classically Canadian piece of political theatre, going nowhere. Trudeau will do just fine - as long as he can make nice with The Donald, and keep the economy from crashing as the housing market shrinks, and keeps the Canadian dollar from dissolving, those are the bread and butter issues. 

Edited by Jan van Eck
typing error
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Jan van Eck said:

Vancouver Island, that big chunk of mostly empty rock island lying to sea from British Columbia

Happily agree with everything you said, but Vancouver Island is one very spectacularly beautiful place.  If there is such a thing as God's Country, I might well agree that Vancouver Island is part of it.  Cheers!

• Great Response! 1
  • Upvote 1

Wasn't me, Dan. 

Okay, I'm disappointed now. And depressed. I thought Canadians had more fun.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Marina Schwarz said:

Wasn't me, Dan. 

Okay, I'm disappointed now. And depressed. I thought Canadians had more fun.

Canadians have lots of fun.  At least the ones I know (quite a lot, actually)  :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dan Warnick said:

Canadians have lots of fun.  At least the ones I know (quite a lot, actually)  :) 

Newfies know how to party.  Spend a few a day in St. John, you will see.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2019 at 12:21 PM, Jan van Eck said:

Canadians like to think of themselves as the Defenders of the True North, out there with a dogsled team mushing their way into the Yukon,  canoeing their way across the Great Slave Lake, flying bush planes to Churchill Port, that sort of thing.   In reality, Canada is a thin strip of population about 50 miles from the US Border, running in discontinuous urban areas, with lots of people working for the Government(s) and being civil servants the number one job choice out of college.  Their preoccupations are, in those grotesquely overpriced urban areas, including Vancouver and Toronto, how much pay do I need to have to make the mortgage payments on my modest house, that cost me $1.2 million?  Yup, Canada is in a huge property bubble, and Canadians are going upside-down the moment that bubble bursts.  And everyone expects it to.  So the anxiety level is way up there. 

Now, in that environment, do you seriously think that anybody cares about some Native  ("First Nation") woman from Vancouver Island, that big chunk of mostly empty rock island lying to sea from British Columbia, who got appointed to the Cabinet only because she was a Native?  And then what she says about Trudeau?  About some engineering outfit in Montreal that got a contract for doing construction in Libya?  I mean, who in Canada cares about Libya?  Any volunteers?  Nope.  Nobody cares.  They care about the house price they paid and how they are going to keep that roof over their heads.  Especially the working people, those that worked at GM Oshawa that is getting closed down and torn down. 

Nobody cares about SNC-Lavalin.  OK, the politicians in Quebec care, and the engineers who work there care, but the rest of Canada?  No chance. It is another classically Canadian piece of political theatre, going nowhere. Trudeau will do just fine - as long as he can make nice with The Donald, and keep the economy from crashing as the housing market shrinks, and keeps the Canadian dollar from dissolving, those are the bread and butter issues. 

My conception of the average Canadian voter is fairly green, liberal, White or Native with lots of exceptions, possibly French speaking, cold, I also have the feeling that the indigenous tribes are very busy figuring out how they can impede progress long enough to make it pay off well for them. I still see a chance for another conservative government but am probably too optimistic.

(edited)

On 3/1/2019 at 2:03 PM, Dan Warnick said:

Happily agree with everything you said, but Vancouver Island is one very spectacularly beautiful place.  If there is such a thing as God's Country, I might well agree that Vancouver Island is part of it.  Cheers!

Absolutely - anyone who calls it "mostly empty rock" has obviously never been there. Huge trees (that stump is massive), lush rain forest and delicious crab and salmon you can catch yourself.  Here are a few pictures I took in January.

IMG_20190110_192948_564.jpg

IMG_20190110_192948_569.jpg

IMG_20190110_173527_937.jpg

Edited by Enthalpic

On 3/1/2019 at 5:13 PM, Marina Schwarz said:

Summary: Mr Trudeau ('s government) has been accused of pressuring his former attorney general to cut a deal with a company facing corruption charges (bribery to libyan government for a contract...) - and retaliating when she refused to play ball.

On 3/2/2019 at 4:21 AM, Jan van Eck said:

uuhhh.......... dear  Commies................

Do in Rome as Romans do........ The company has not done it in Canada and gotten caught right? It's in Libya.............Hence......... dear all....... the KEY is "NOT CAUGHT"................. or no?......... 

Two of his trustees were dismissed to show how strict he has been adhering to rules. But..........who would he trust now..........?

It's probably right that the general public largely might not care except if the government is giving more gimmicks like discount coupons; social aids; housing prices drop; people can earn a living etc............ for they are busy hoping to be bribed themselves than worrying how others in a country half a globe away being bribed no??

And saw this here: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45972346

That federal appellate court decision quashed Canada's 2016 approval of the project, saying regulators failed to adequately onsult First Nations along the pipeline route and to fully account for the project's impact on the region's endangered killer whales. It was handed down the day Canada finalised its C$4.5bn ($3.4bn; £2.6bn) purchase of the 65-year-old pipeline from Kinder Morgan. The Texas-based energy infrastructure company agreed to sell the infrastructure amid myriad legal and regulatory challenges launched against their expansion plan.

Shall we consider this well done? Canada owns what is within their land............... Jan is right............. Thumb up for October Trudeau......... 

gov hates competition.jpg

Good question. Trick or treat anyone?

proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpeg