For curious lurkers and curious geologists, here's a blog you may want to poke around a bit in.

Petrophysics_Supreme

Petrophysics an exotic earth science, poorly understood and rarely appreciated in the oil and gas industry.

Latest post, PDF attached below:

Total vs Effective Porosity

Here is another presentation that I made some time ago. It was presented initially to the petrophysics community in my company and later on to a wider audience consisting of geologists, geophysicists, reservoir engineers as well as others.

The objective of this presentation was to clarify the different types of porosity, namely total porosity and effective porosity computed by petrophysicists. There is a confusion or misunderstanding of the petrophysical definitions of porosity, which are somewhat different from those understood by geoscientists and reservoir engineers.

Although we petrophysicists may be practitioners of the “Dark Art”, as mentioned by some readers on LinkedIn, we are not able to distinguish between connected and unconnected porosity, when we analyze standard logs. To make it more confusing, there are other definitions of porosity, like open porosity and closed porosity, as used in some countries. I hope that my fellow professionals, especially the younger ones, will find this presentation worth reading.

https://petrophysicshome.files.wordpress.com/2019/04/total_vs_effective_porosity.pdf

total_vs_effective_porosity.pdf

• Upvote 1

@CMOP  @Rodent any idea why this post / this sub-forum isn't showing up in the Latest Discussions tab?

@Tom Kirkman thanks for brining this up. We'll have to look into this. It could be because it's new sub-forum. It'll most likely be a case of syncing the new sub-forum to the daily lineup - within latest dicussions, unread content, etc. This will have to be done on a developer level. I'll reach out to them. Thanks Tom! Great catch. 

• Like 1

Thanks @CMOP.  I only just saw this now.  Didn't receive the usual alert when you mentioned my name.